Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Inceltown posted:

And the sensible centre is in the suburbs.

If you’re just going to make joke posts no one finds funny, please don’t contribute.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

oldpainless posted:

If you’re just going to make joke posts no one finds funny, please don’t contribute.

Thanks.

You're not the boss of me.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
More like oldsenseofhumourless.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My anecdote from working on a farm for four years as a teenager was that the owner of the farm was a nice enough guy who somehow managed to get his neighbors to hate him. The explanation he gave was that they weren't happy that he was actually using the land for production which led to fights over whether he could build a little stand to sell stuff next to the road and other petty disputes. How the hell do you get into fights with your neighbor who you can't even see from your own house because there's so much empty space?

My other anecdote is from in-laws in Europe who have a guy in their town who had some dispute with the neighbors, so as revenge he set up the portion bordering their land as a permanent Roma settlement which has been there for 10+ years.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I moved out to the country and people are certainly nice to me but I’m white and in a straight relationship and a 16 year old dude just got put in hospital by two grown men for wearing makeup in public, which to be fair also happened in the city so in conclusion go broncos and that kid is way braver than I’ll ever be.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Thanks.

But then what posts would we read?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

christmas boots posted:

But then what posts would we read?

I'll still be here for you~

Mauser posted:

My anecdote from working on a farm for four years as a teenager was that the owner of the farm was a nice enough guy who somehow managed to get his neighbors to hate him. The explanation he gave was that they weren't happy that he was actually using the land for production which led to fights over whether he could build a little stand to sell stuff next to the road and other petty disputes. How the hell do you get into fights with your neighbor who you can't even see from your own house because there's so much empty space?

My other anecdote is from in-laws in Europe who have a guy in their town who had some dispute with the neighbors, so as revenge he set up the portion bordering their land as a permanent Roma settlement which has been there for 10+ years.

and that's why communism will win: capitalism gives power to the most petty and weird

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

oldpainless posted:

Thanks.

Don't post your daily mirror motivation sessions here.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

T-man posted:

and that's why communism will win: capitalism gives power to the most petty and weird

Why are you making me like capitalism you monster

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

T-man posted:

But I'd be a really good leader :(

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inceltown posted:

And the sensible centre is in the suburbs.

Turns out there is the perfect comic for this

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Badger of Basra posted:

Every time you say “ok boomer” you are giving someone alzheimers

Ok boomer

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't post your daily mirror motivation sessions here.

I can see I’m not wanted here. That’s fine. I’ll leave and won’t post in this thread again. Bye.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

You won’t see me again. Goodbye friends.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

You’re not gonna have oldpainless to kick around anymore

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Fun while it lasted. Happy trails.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Take care of yourselves everyone

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

thank goodness, now I don't have to pretend to be a bad poster to get them to leave, let's discuss our opinions on Kant's work

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

more like oldb--*screaming, as mouth emits thousands of bees*

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

more like oldmagemage

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

T-man posted:

Honestly, I don't know what the take away is aside from city life owns, heck the rest of it. Now if we can just do away with these pesky cars...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I also grew up in the sticks and now live in a huge metro area and really the only thing I really wasn't prepared for was how busy everyone is.

It seems like everybody got a place to be and a thing to do all the time, and then during downtime all people talk about is how busy they are all the time. It's weird!

I'm becoming one of Them too :smithicide:

Edit: this could also just be an urban :canada:ism now that I think about it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I went from living in the middle of nowhere, to living in brooklyn, to living in a town of 30k, to the middle of nowhere again, and let me tell you, both the city and the middle of nowhere suck major rear end. Gimme a small city any time.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I went from living in the middle of nowhere, to living in brooklyn, to living in a town of 30k, to the middle of nowhere again, and let me tell you, both the city and the middle of nowhere suck major rear end. Gimme a small city any time.

i've lived in a town of ~100k that's 45-60mins from larger cities for a while now, and it's a rly good balance, except for the lovely transit options

i dont hate driving but every time i visit chicago it's like, holy poo poo, i can get anywhere on my own two feet with the help of these trains and a ~twenty buck week pass

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Peanut Butler posted:

i've lived in a town of ~100k that's 45-60mins from larger cities for a while now, and it's a rly good balance, except for the lovely transit options

i dont hate driving but every time i visit chicago it's like, holy poo poo, i can get anywhere on my own two feet with the help of these trains and a ~twenty buck week pass

Chicago at least has the trains above ground. In NYC the trains are primarily below ground, and that gets depressing in the winter if you’re on them a lot.

The 30k town I lived in was Northampton, MA. I could walk basically anywhere in town I wanted to go and if I wanted to go to a nearby town without driving the busses were really good. But there’s also a big difference in something like that in the hippy part of MA and one of 30k in the Midwest that’s all sprawled and mostly empty.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bell jar posted:

more like oldmagemage

C'mon now. That's just mean.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's a common misconception that conflict occurs in rural areas, but an understandable one, because there was quite a bit of conflict until 2004, when Marvin Heemeyer united all rural peoples forever.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
More like oldpostless

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I grew up in the big city and now live in a small town, and I gotta say the city is better in almost every way. The only downsides for me are catcallers and homeless people (whom I feel sorry for, not contemptuous of like that Quora guy). If we could just provide housing for all and fire all catcallers into the sun, it would be perfect.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

christmas boots posted:

Every time you make the joke, a boomer has a stroke

Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer
Ok, Boomer

Cmon folks, join me. It'll take a while, but if we work together, we can get them all!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oldpainless posted:

Take care of yourselves everyone

stay safe oldpainless

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Chicago at least has the trains above ground. In NYC the trains are primarily below ground, and that gets depressing in the winter if you’re on them a lot.

The 30k town I lived in was Northampton, MA. I could walk basically anywhere in town I wanted to go and if I wanted to go to a nearby town without driving the busses were really good. But there’s also a big difference in something like that in the hippy part of MA and one of 30k in the Midwest that’s all sprawled and mostly empty.

that sounds like it could be a bummer but I would forsake the sun for a season if it meant gettin around for pretty cheap compared to fueling and maintaining a car

and yeah there's a lot more cheap land out here in the midwest; we have a handful of denser blocks forming a very walkable neighborhood about a mile in radius, the part of town built between 1850~1920, but I haven't been able to afford to rent there since 2009 or so

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I cant stop cracking up over this
https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/1227747737111875584?s=19

Actually brb bout to puke https://twitter.com/JessReports/status/1227779214797164545?s=19

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Feb 13, 2020

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/phogan/status/1226975560225710090?s=19
https://twitter.com/SeanTimothy16/status/1227233533674053633

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Feb 13, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1227712001478184961?s=20

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A few weeks ago I responded to a headhunter pitching a tech job with a social conscience

Turned out to be the Bloomberg campaign, "but then if he's not the primary winner the platform we build will be used to promote whoever does win"

I did not actually laugh in the recruiter's face because come on they're just doing their job, but I am lolling that this could have been me

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

This is sad, buncha people got trolled so hard their fuckin' lives exploded.

I really want to know what motivates someone to believe so hard in a fallacy that would be obvious to a child.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

christmas boots posted:

There was some goon that said being called a statist by a libertarian was like being called an adult-fucker by a pedophile, and that's always stuck with me.

I'm going to use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Elviscat posted:

This is sad, buncha people got trolled so hard their fuckin' lives exploded.

I really want to know what motivates someone to believe so hard in a fallacy that would be obvious to a child.

if donnie is a massive poo poo, then I'm a massive poo poo.

its sunk cost thats gonna sink the whole planet.