Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

I've got 3 days in Tokyo coming up in April, staying in Shinjuku at the Hilton. Trying to eat at all of the Michelin spots and whatever ramen I can fit in my belly.

Anything else I must see/do as a first timer? Aside from AMEX/Hilton concierge is there any other way to get a reservation at some of these spots that book up 2 months in advance?

Den is the one I’d try the hardest to get a rez with, but good luck with that.

Narisawa has an online booking system.

Both the Michelin ramen places just require getting there early and lining up.

Beyond that there is PocketConceirge and MyConceirgeJapan for alternative booking systems. But you will be paying extra for the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Go to Rokurinsha (another Michelin starred ramen place) inside Tokyo Station. Have the dipping noodles. Thank me later.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is there any real requirement to book cultural tickets in advance? I know Ghibli and other stuff needs to be booked, but what about :

The Printing Museum, Tokyo
National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo
TOKYO METROPOLITAN ART MUSEUM
Mori Art Museum
National Museum of Nature and Science
Edo-Tokyo Museum
Tokyo National Museum

Compared to touristy stuff like the Robot Restaurant these all seem insanely cheap, but I'd like a flexible trip with a list of possible stuff to do, not a fully locked in itinerary.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 11, 2020

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Nanigans posted:

Go to Rokurinsha (another Michelin starred ramen place) inside Tokyo Station. Have the dipping noodles. Thank me later.

Better than Fuunji?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Mons Hubris posted:

Better than Fuunji?

Dunno. Didn't go to Fuunji.

I just know the tsukemen was the tastiest thing I've ever eaten. And it was like 11 dollars after a couple of upgrades? It was the one time I wish Japan accepted tips, 'cause goddamn did that taste warrant more of my money.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there any real requirement to book cultural tickets in advance? I know Ghibli and other stuff needs to be booked, but what about :

Mori Art Museum
Edo-Tokyo Museum
Tokyo National Museum

Compared to touristy stuff like the Robot Restaurant these all seem insanely cheap, but I'd like a flexible trip with a list of possible stuff to do, not a fully locked in itinerary.

As much as I want to see high culture, I also wanted to ask someone about the sketchier side of Tokyo, PM if you are willing. I have a friend that has been to Tokyo a few times, but he's such a weeb and mark that any of his suggestions are suspect as hell and I wanted a better rounded opinion.

Believe none of those you need to get anything really in advance for. Been to all of them but the printing museum I think and don’t recall going out of my way to reserve (or them being overly crowded).

Robot restaurant is indeed stupid overpriced. Google around for discounts etc. last I went showing a hometown friend around I could just dip into a nearby hotel and the brochures included half-off coupons to use. This was years ago so dunno but your should be able to get something better than the ridiculous full price I think.

Define sketchier side, and also :justpost:. I’ve seen people say “sketchier side” is normal clubs or hookup-oriented bars which is nothing, but the Tokyo greater metropolitan area is like 30+ million people which means there’s allll kinda of niche sketchy poo poo that is actually viable businesses, and Japanese prostitution laws are written in a way that much of it is legal if that’s what you’re going for. No guarantees that anyone here has good advice but better to be more clear with what you want.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://borderless.teamlab.art/

This has to be booked in advance but is well worth it. Also, because it doesn't take all day, it gives you an opportunity to knock out wandering around Odaiba while you are there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Maybe it’s cuz I did it first and it wasn’t as busy, but TeamLab Planets was way more enjoyable than Borderless for me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

^^Beaten

Waltzing Along posted:

https://borderless.teamlab.art/

This has to be booked in advance but is well worth it. Also, because it doesn't take all day, it gives you an opportunity to knock out wandering around Odaiba while you are there.

There is also this as well: https://planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/ in the same area.

I enjoyed Planets more than Borderless, though Borderless does have more to experience.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 11, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna have to check that one out!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was told Borderless is fantastic, thanks for the ramen recs.

Any sushi places in particular that I should try extra hard for a res for? I have inquiries out for Jiro (lol good luck) and a connection for Sushi Saito.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

^^Beaten

There is also this as well: https://planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/ in the same area.

I enjoyed Planets more than Borderless, though Borderless does have more to experience.

Is there like a discount double-ticket for these? They both look awesome.

I went to Taipei a couple of years ago; everything in Japan is sooooooooooooooooooooooo much more expensive.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Thanatosian posted:

Is there like a discount double-ticket for these? They both look awesome.

I went to Taipei a couple of years ago; everything in Japan is sooooooooooooooooooooooo much more expensive.

That is my feeling. $35-40 for a digital art exhibit? It's not criminal, but it ain't cheap.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Indolent Bastard posted:

As much as I want to see high culture, I also wanted to ask someone about the sketchier side of Tokyo, PM if you are willing. I have a friend that has been to Tokyo a few times, but he's such a weeb and mark that any of his suggestions are suspect as hell and I wanted a better rounded opinion.

plenty of foreigner accepting soaplands out there in yoshiwara that aren't terribly hard to find info for

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Those teamlabs exhibitions look great. I'll be going to one of them at least. Are there any good VR recommendations? Something with full motion and open environments?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There’s a handful of VR arcades, but they’re all expensive and impossible to beat in the first go.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

fliptophead posted:

Those teamlabs exhibitions look great. I'll be going to one of them at least. Are there any good VR recommendations? Something with full motion and open environments?

You could checkout Zero Latency VR at Joyopolis. Dunno how good it is, but it's also on Odaiba so you could go hit it along side TeamLabs. You'd want to make reservations for it.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

.Z. posted:

You could checkout Zero Latency VR at Joyopolis. Dunno how good it is, but it's also on Odaiba so you could go hit it along side TeamLabs. You'd want to make reservations for it.

Hehe Zero Latency are Australian! I've been to the one in Melbourne which is drat good. I'll check it out over there. Joyopolis looks like it is worth a visit anyway

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mori Art Museum
Edo-Tokyo Museum
Tokyo National Museum

Mori Art Museum really depends on the exhibit. For popular exhibitions, especially during evenings or weekends, queues of 40mins+ just to buy tickets are not uncommon. If you go during the day on a weekday it should be fine whatever the exhibition is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mori Art Museum
Edo-Tokyo Museum
Tokyo National Museum

Yeah these are all proper museums, Robot Restaurant is a kitschy dinner show, and Ghibli is just far too popular for its own good and limited in spots both locally and with international tourists.

Also make sure you have the National Art Center Tokyo on the list too, it’s also in Roppongi so can be knocked out with a couple others.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Got back yesterday from my first visit.

It was really good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JaySB posted:

I was told Borderless is fantastic, thanks for the ramen recs.

Any sushi places in particular that I should try extra hard for a res for? I have inquiries out for Jiro (lol good luck) and a connection for Sushi Saito.

Yoshitake.

They do reservations on the first day of the preceding month (so reservations for April will be done on March 1st)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I loved Borderless a lot. It's one of only a couple places I'm definitely going back to.

Question: how do I trick restaurant reservation websites into accepting me without a Japanese name and phone number? The kanji fields seem to accept English characters just fine but a bunch of them require the hiragana version too.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

I loved Borderless a lot. It's one of only a couple places I'm definitely going back to.

Question: how do I trick restaurant reservation websites into accepting me without a Japanese name and phone number? The kanji fields seem to accept English characters just fine but a bunch of them require the hiragana version too.

Work out how to express your name in hiragana and enter it. It’s basically there as a pronunciation guide for whatever gets entered into the kanji field (since the kanji can have many different readings).

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Another thing that works well if you’ve already booked your hotel is to email the concierge and get them to make the reservations for you. They seem to have better luck than the credit card concierges.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

i was foiled by the hiragana on one when i tried to be clever and use my Chinese name for the Kanji one but then realized I don't even know any of the probably 16 pronunciations of either character in it in Japanese lol. That was also when I realized why they need the hiragana for names.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

Work out how to express your name in hiragana and enter it. It’s basically there as a pronunciation guide for whatever gets entered into the kanji field (since the kanji can have many different readings).

If you want to do this quickly put your name in google translate and move the katakana output to hiragana.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

i was foiled by the hiragana on one when i tried to be clever and use my Chinese name for the Kanji one but then realized I don't even know any of the probably 16 pronunciations of either character in it in Japanese lol. That was also when I realized why they need the hiragana for names.

Chinese names usually use the onyomi (Chinese reading) which has much fewer variations as opposed to Japanese names which are basically whatever you want to say combined with whatever kanji you want, so it’s not usually that bad to figure out.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just post your name, birthday, phone, address, passport number, front and back of your credit card, and date of reservation here.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
In worst cases, I've had luck fudging everything (like phone number) and writing correct information in comments. Ymmv

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Also re: galleries. It’s tiny and free and never busy, but I checked out the Jiro Miura gallery in Chuo, Tokyo a couple of times during my last visit and they seem to regularly have stuff I like. Was super cool to see an actual Audrey Kawasaki painting on wood up close!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Chinese names usually use the onyomi (Chinese reading) which has much fewer variations as opposed to Japanese names which are basically whatever you want to say combined with whatever kanji you want, so it’s not usually that bad to figure out.

i would rather galaxy brain it and katakana out an approximation of the modern mandarin pronunciation and see how that goes.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Planing a trip mid-march. I'm flying China Air through Taiwan into Takamatsu and I'm going to spend a week with family there and then going to railpass for a week with my SO.

Generally we're adverse to crowds/uber-touristy spots - but it's going to be cherry blossom season and we've never been to Kyoto So we were thinking of making that the home base and then doing 1-2 day trips with the rail pass to get out of town, and finishing up the trip with a nice night in a Ryokan somewhere.

Something like 3 days in Kyoto --> 2 day trips outside --> Ryokan.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Ryokan (preferably not in Kyoto) that's in a quiet place off the main tourist track? It would just need to be reasonably accessible from Kyoto or in-between Kyoto and Takamatsu.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Just a heads-up based on my trip last year, even with the earlier cherry blossom timing thanks to global warming, there still isn't much blooming in Kyoto until April. Tokyo gets them first. (Not sure if you actually want to see them or just mentioned it regarding crowds.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

runawayturtles posted:

Just a heads-up based on my trip last year, even with the earlier cherry blossom timing thanks to global warming, there still isn't much blooming in Kyoto until April. Tokyo gets them first. (Not sure if you actually want to see them or just mentioned it regarding crowds.)

Crowds are not an issue right now. Whether they are back in March remains to be seen.

I have to say I am jealous as hell of the people who get to see Kyoto without a flood of mainlanders.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

runawayturtles posted:

Darn. Yeah it's not the centerpiece or anything we'd planned out trip around, and I knew we'd be early for it, but it's too bad to hear we'll very likely miss it. Upside is maybe we won't have to deal with crowds!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Planing a trip mid-march. I'm flying China Air through Taiwan into Takamatsu and I'm going to spend a week with family there and then going to railpass for a week with my SO.

Check Setouchi regional railpasses. Do you fly out of Takamatsu, too?

You have unlimited options for ryokan. Staying in Kurashiki would be cute, and Nara/Wakayama have lots of great places that get fewer foreign visitors just because it's 40 minutes outside of Kyoto. Fukui too…

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
fukui has a dope-rear end dinosaur museum you should go to fukui

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

peanut posted:

Check Setouchi regional railpasses. Do you fly out of Takamatsu, too?

You have unlimited options for ryokan. Staying in Kurashiki would be cute, and Nara/Wakayama have lots of great places that get fewer foreign visitors just because it's 40 minutes outside of Kyoto. Fukui too…

Yeah we fly out of there too - so shinkansen or ferry back is why the railpass kinda made sense to me. I think it was just barely a break-even purchase honestly.

I'll look into those spots, thanks. I had thought nara was a tourist trap/gimmick is it worth going to?

mikeycp posted:

fukui has a dope-rear end dinosaur museum you should go to fukui

Neat.

We're going to go out to naoshima while on shikoku, which I did last time I visited. Museum-island was awesome.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I figured out reservations! I was trying the translate option, and it wouldn't accept translated La-- but Ra-- worked. I used a phone number generator, and then under "special requests" said the number won't work but I have an email address and Canadian phone number and put those in. Thanks for the help!