Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Um....Am I a dumbass for considering a 1987 IROC-Z as a daily driver?

Second owner, 5.7 fully loaded, T tops100k miles $12k

Does it snow where you live? Having driven a 3rd gen Camaro on ice, it is not a great experience unless you are in love with sick powerslides any time you think too hard about the accellerator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
step 1 buy iroc step 2 grow mullet step 3 become radwood superstar

edit: pretty sure AA is in florida

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: pretty sure AA is in florida
buy the car

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

All the Camaro talk reminded me of this song.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

$20k of kitchen cabinets delivered today. First 2 things we unboxed were hosed up with manufacturing defects. I hope it was just bad odds and luck and the rest are okay, or there's going to be a serious lot of "gently caress Kraftmaid" here over the next few weeks. :mad: Demo crew comes tomorrow to take out the remainder of the old kitchen and we'll be officially kitchenless.

Pics of defects? I work for a competitor.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm in Florida, no worries about ice.

Although with the Gatorback tires my dad's car came with when it rained it was like ice :v:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
For 12k surely you could do a fake iroc with an ls engine and it would be far funner

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

AA, weren't you super concerned about crash safety in your car purchases just recently? Because IROCs are awesome, but their not great in crashes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

AA, weren't you super concerned about crash safety in your car purchases just recently? Because IROCs are awesome, but their not great in crashes.

No 80s shitmissle is. Part of the charm is potential paralysis.

At somepoint you gotta accept being taken out by someont texting in a murano convertible.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you grow a sweet enough mullet it works like a HANS device.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Job chat: my employer is partially employee-owned, and I start getting shares in a few months. Part of the reason I want to stay with them. And if I finally brush up my IT skills, they have one of their two tech hubs here. I should also be getting a raise by the end of the month (we get 2 a year until you hit "midpoint" - I'll likely either hit midpoint or be very close to it after this one - after which it becomes one raise a year).

:sever: happened. Started moving stuff to the new place today. Need to get a bed (probably Walmart's finest $100 futon for now, or might just do an air bed for a bit), and get internet hooked up at the new place (friend/roommate doesn't have a computer or netflix or anything fancy like that). Bigger garage, but it's a 1 car driveway, we have opposing work schedules, and my car pisses oil pretty good (so it won't be welcome in the driveway without cardboard under it), so I'll probably be parked in the street. No garage door opener and the bottom panel of the garage door doesn't have rollers (:flaccid:), so pulling a taller car like mine into the garage is a 2 person job (his WRX barely clears it without help). But it's 4 walls and a roof, and it's a house instead of an apartment.

New place is a shithole, in a not great neighborhood, but I already feel like an elephant has been lifted off of my shoulders. Some of the "repairs" done over the years will make kastein's eye twitch, even though it's a late (19)70s build...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 13, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

At somepoint you gotta accept being taken out by someont texting in a murano convertible.

I'm aware, rode a bike cross-country, but I'm catching up on the "new car news thread and AA's preferences post-accident.

STR: good job on the move-out from the unhappy relationship! Keep moving forward my man!

E: to match yours. Can't compare an apartment to a house, if it works and you don't own it, it doesn't fuckin' matter.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

:toot: Congrats STR!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elviscat posted:

E: to match yours. Can't compare an apartment to a house, if it works and you don't own it, it doesn't fuckin' matter.

TBH the apartment we have is really drat nice for what I was paying. Relatively modern, garage, W/D included, fire sprinklers and central fire alarm, microwave included, fantastic office staff and maintenance, great neighbors, etc etc etc - pretty much the perfect apartment complex. The house will be a major step down as far as "nice", and I already know the neighbor on one side is a shithead. But it's not-here, and doesn't cost much more than the apartment.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

cursedshitbox posted:

That sikk 220 hp in a 3500 pound car is nigh uncontrollable.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Ether Frenzy posted:

That sikk 220 hp in a 3500 pound car is nigh uncontrollable.

On 80s tyres absolutely

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

STR posted:

TBH the apartment we have is really drat nice for what I was paying. Relatively modern, garage, W/D included, fire sprinklers and central fire alarm, microwave included, fantastic office staff and maintenance, great neighbors, etc etc etc - pretty much the perfect apartment complex. The house will be a major step down as far as "nice", and I already know the neighbor on one side is a shithead. But it's not-here, and doesn't cost much more than the apartment.

Eh, I bet it all works out to be even in the end, even minus the benefit of not being in a lovely relationship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

:toot: Congrats STR!

:emptyquote:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ahhhhhh gently caress Canon just pretty much comfirmed the lunatic specs on its next camera are real.

Anyone want a few Subarus?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhhhhh gently caress Canon just pretty much comfirmed the lunatic specs on its next camera are real.

Anyone want a few Subarus?

I've been out of that particular heroin habit for a few years - which model is this?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Yeah it is a concern. I don't drive much anymore so the risk is a bit less now, but the more I've thought about this the more I think this car would be just a toy and not a DD. I'd keep my xB or get another one down the road.

I've got a decent settlement coming (hopefully soon according to my lawyer) so I can afford to do it. I'm going to look at the car today, if it hits all the right happy places and doesn't need too much I'll probably get it, but if it doesn't drive right to me and has any issues I'll pass on it. Like others have said, it's not like it would lose value, if anything the value could go up on it so it could be a little rolling "investment :v:" that I get to have fun with now and then.

Not getting my hopes up tho, been there done that and been disappointed. We'll see how it goes today.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rdb posted:

Pics of defects? I work for a competitor.

Eventually. I've got a few dozen boxes in my garage right now filled with the stuff. I'm going to wait until the installation contractor and rep are there and let them open the rest. I don't want to distribute pics until I know I'm covered. :D

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

get internet hooked up at the new place (friend/roommate doesn't have a computer or netflix or anything fancy like that).

oO
In TYOOL 2020, the Internet, a computer, or Netflix is not "fancy" - it's a necessity. What kind of data do they consume on they're phone, oof.
I have one weird (well, weider than usual) friend who doesn't have home internet (he's got a beef with the city he lives in, and insists on giving them as little $$ via taxes, etc. as possible, to his own detriment) and I just look at him when he complains that he's out of data on his phone for the month.

quote:

Bigger garage, but it's a 1 car driveway, we have opposing work schedules, and my car pisses oil pretty good (so it won't be welcome in the driveway without cardboard under it), so I'll probably be parked in the street. No garage door opener and the bottom panel of the garage door doesn't have rollers (:flaccid:), so pulling a taller car like mine into the garage is a 2 person job (his WRX barely clears it without help). But it's 4 walls and a roof, and it's a house instead of an apartment.

New place is a shithole, in a not great neighborhood, but I already feel like an elephant has been lifted off of my shoulders. Some of the "repairs" done over the years will make kastein's eye twitch, even though it's a late (19)70s build...

I have a set of garage door rollers I will give you for free. I upgraded to nylon wheel rollers years ago, and still have the perfectly functional steel ones kicking around. No brackets, just the wheels with stem. Start fixing stuff as appreciation for the dwelling opportunity or something. I know you can't help yourself anyway.

Congrats on improving your situation. It sucks that the previous relationship didn't work out.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v3CzvQ9e_w

All the Camaro talk reminded me of this song.

You're kidding!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

STR posted:

Job chat: my employer is partially employee-owned, and I start getting shares in a few months. Part of the reason I want to stay with them. And if I finally brush up my IT skills, they have one of their two tech hubs here. I should also be getting a raise by the end of the month (we get 2 a year until you hit "midpoint" - I'll likely either hit midpoint or be very close to it after this one - after which it becomes one raise a year).

:sever: happened. Started moving stuff to the new place today. Need to get a bed (probably Walmart's finest $100 futon for now, or might just do an air bed for a bit), and get internet hooked up at the new place (friend/roommate doesn't have a computer or netflix or anything fancy like that). Bigger garage, but it's a 1 car driveway, we have opposing work schedules, and my car pisses oil pretty good (so it won't be welcome in the driveway without cardboard under it), so I'll probably be parked in the street. No garage door opener and the bottom panel of the garage door doesn't have rollers (:flaccid:), so pulling a taller car like mine into the garage is a 2 person job (his WRX barely clears it without help). But it's 4 walls and a roof, and it's a house instead of an apartment.

Good job.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hey, if it is good for you then good for you man.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I am really wanting to get a nice full frame camera and step up my game in glass. I have really been eyeing the Sony mirrorless stuff but I just don't know what direction to go. Is this a new mirrorless from them? I have had a Canon crop sensor and lenses as babby's first DSLR and I have liked it. The commitment to glass prices are what has kind of kept me gunshy in jumping into the full frame world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HE'S FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

STR posted:

:sever: happened.
Congrats STR. Doing it the day before Valentine's day is a nice bonus.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yup. R5 is gonna be expensive, but the R6 could be damned near the same camera minus dual slots and weather sealing and be a damned good deal.

Makes me want to upgrade my RP.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 13, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

You're kidding!

I must be, the Bahamas are islands.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

big dong wanter posted:

For 12k surely you could do a fake iroc with an ls engine and it would be far funner

Yeah if you want oldschool RWD hoon fun, surely loading a relative shitter with a peppier, more modern engine is the way to do it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The IROC was no bueno :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Or just get a toyuburu. Probably just as quick and a lot better in dynamics and fuel efficiency.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The IROC was no bueno :(

What was wrong with it? A case of 'NO WAT I GOT' plus it just being garbo?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

What was wrong with it? A case of 'NO WAT I GOT' plus it just being garbo?

Never meet your heroes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well the worst part is that it's an Illinois car.....The rust underneath wasn't horrible, but enough for it not to be worth 12k in Florida, more like 9k maybe but the guy wasn't willing to budge much on the price.

Other part was he wouldn't let me drive it. Said something on the exhaust broke and it was hanging too low (looked fine to me) and he wanted to get it fixed before I drove it.....Um why didn't you tell me that before I drove half an hour to come see it? He tried to explain too much to the point I had a feeling something else was up with it that he didn't want me to know. But that's beside the point really, you can't ask a high price for an Illinois car in Florida, maybe you could get it up there but not here.

Too bad because it's a gorgeous car.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

12k sounds like a lot for that car, there's one 20 miles from me for 9, no T-top though, which is a shame.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, sorry, a Northeast car is largely valueless anywhere but in the Northeast. Too much possibility of hidden Northeastness.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hey, if it is good for you then good for you man.

I am really wanting to get a nice full frame camera and step up my game in glass. I have really been eyeing the Sony mirrorless stuff but I just don't know what direction to go. Is this a new mirrorless from them? I have had a Canon crop sensor and lenses as babby's first DSLR and I have liked it. The commitment to glass prices are what has kind of kept me gunshy in jumping into the full frame world.

Yuuup it's a new Canon mirrorless that looks like at worst it'll equal anything Sony has - and if the rumours are right most likely a fair bit better. The R5 is more targeted at semi-pros like me so it's goign to be expensive to go with the WTFHOW level specs.

There's a Canon R6 coming tho that while it isnt as mindblowing, is actually looking like it's just in general still a massive leap forward and a fair bit cheaper. Also Canon have been pretty drat good keep their older EF and EF-S lens series working with the new RF mount so you can use any of your present glass without an issue going forward. Just have to wait till June.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, sorry, a Northeast car is largely valueless anywhere but in the Northeast. Too much possibility of hidden Northeastness.

Exactly, and people that bring those cars down here don't get it. No way you're going to get the high side of what it's worth, you're getting the low side just because of that alone. I have patience, and if I really want an IROC I can find one with NO RUST at all, not even surface rust in great condition, it just takes time and I'm in no hurry.

It was really cool sitting in it tho, I haven't sat in one since I was a teenager, talk about a flood of memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

That's what scares me about buying rust belt cars, it seeps into the metal and completely eats it in a matter of years. My perfect cherry Capri already has little holes in the floor pans growing and 2 jack points have crumbled in less than 3 years on Chicago roads

:hfive:
Good for you man, you definitely deserved to be treated better