Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommissarMega posted:

I know this guy must've been mentioned before, but Hegelochus's fuckup reminds me of Ea-nasir, the shadiest trader of all time.

EDIT: Dude even has his own fanfiction, some of which is :nws: Somehow I find this the most hilarious aspect of his story.

Ea-Nasir was a legend among anthropologists and then tumblr found out about him and just exploded. It's actually pretty cool. I love this guy and his stupid room full of grudge mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Just read a pretty interesting book about the history of poison, and there's some stories in there that belong in this thread sometime when I'm not not phoneposting. For now, have the antimony pill. It relaxes the bowels! Its made out of a poisonous metal! And, because it won't digest, you can keep reusing the same pill! Also makes for a great family heirloom. Get yours today!

On that same note, I've seen gold and silver-coated pills. They were advertised as helping ease swallowing and better releasing the ingredients, when in fact the metal coating made it completely indigestible. I think I recall some pills being made of overtly toxic ingredients that would have likely made the consumer very sick or dead, only for the indigestible coating to save them.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Just read a pretty interesting book about the history of poison, and there's some stories in there that belong in this thread sometime when I'm not not phoneposting. For now, have the antimony pill. It relaxes the bowels! Its made out of a poisonous metal! And, because it won't digest, you can keep reusing the same pill! Also makes for a great family heirloom. Get yours today!

What was it? Because The Poisoner's Handbook has been on my shelf for half a decade or so and I still haven't cracked it.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I,ve been watching this BBC documentary on Celtic history:

https://youtu.be/zA-itb5NwDU

I am in no way qualified to comment on its factuality, but I found it very accessible. It puts forth a claim, credibile to a layman such as me, that the celts did not originate from central Europe. But instead from proto-Celtic bronze traders traveling up the Atlantic coast, settling in Britain. From there the culture radiated east all through Europe, all the way to modern Turkey.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If they've been moving before they got to Britain, why do they then "radiate" from there instead of just continuing to move?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tashilicious posted:

Ea-Nasir was a legend among anthropologists and then tumblr found out about him and just exploded. It's actually pretty cool. I love this guy and his stupid room full of grudge mail.

His stupid room that shrunk because his bad deals caught up to him and he had to sell half his house to the neighbours.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If they've been moving before they got to Britain, why do they then "radiate" from there instead of just continuing to move?

Like this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Henry VI of England should be much more highly regarded than he is imo. Fun fact: he was ineffectual and eventually murdered because he was one of the only normal decent people ever to be a monarch with power.

"Unlike his father, Henry is described as timid, shy, passive, well-intentioned, and averse to warfare and violence; he was also at times mentally unstable."

That's literally the only sort of King that anyone who isn't fabulously wealthy or entitled needs. And who the gently caress isn't mentally unstable after being king of one place and contested wartime king of another place, thanks to your violent rear end in a top hat dad, since infancy?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Jan 25, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They radiated from there after the collapse of the Roman Empire and the Anglo Saxon invasion when a lot of Briton refugees moved to Brittany (hence the name) which is why the Breton language is a Insular Celtic language and not a Continental Celtic language despite being on the continent.

The Continental Celtic languages all being long extinct.

That's the only Celtic radiation I know about but it's not really my field. I was under the impression that their urheimat was in or near Anatolia but really I don't know poo poo.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jan 25, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

They radiated from there after the collapse of the Roman Empire and the Anglo Saxon invasion when a lot of Briton refugees moved to Brittany (hence the name) which is why the Breton language is a Insular Celtic language and not a Continental Celtic language despite being on the continent.

The Continental Celtic languages all being long extinct.

So wait who was living in Gaul when Julius Caesar came calling if not the celts, and why are those possible celts "from Britain" while the british celts who may have come from somewhere else are at home and radiating their unique british culture?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Jan 25, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Those Celts got assimilated by the Romans and the Celts in Brittany are other Celts that came centuries later.

Celts whose language and culture was a bit different from having spent those centuries isolated on some islands.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
But we're talking about how the celts around Masilia and in Galatia were secretly brits the whole time

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Those Celts got mostly assimilated by various invaders Romans/Visigoths/Franks etc.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if there had been some pockets of Celticness in France before the Academie Francaise started systematically wiping out dialects.

What I was trying, and probably failing, to say was that the only example I knew about of Celts radiating from Britain was the Bretons and that by the time they did that all the Celts on the mainland weren't very Celtic any more.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Jan 25, 2020

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

You're getting your celtic migrations mixed up. The documentary is talking about the original bronze age spread of celtic-speaking populations across Europe. You are thinking of the iron age migration of insular celts from Britain to continental Brittany, which happened several thousand years later.

But yeah, the two big theories of "where did the celtic speaking people come from?" Are that they either spread out via land from some point in central Europe and got as far as part of anatolia in the east all the way to north western iberia in the west; or they come up along the Atlantic coast and initially spread via sea trading routes.

There's also a big question regarding how much of that spread is celtic speaking populations displacing a prior human population and how much is the spread of celtic languages without any actual population displacement.

There's a particular type of bronze age pottery that is associated with this spread but I can't remember what it's called, I think funnel beaker? But it's interesting the kinds of evidence historians have to use to study this. Pottery distribution, the language roots of place names, very old preserved classical era documents, all kinds of stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Henry VI of England should be much more highly regarded than he is imo. Fun fact: he was ineffectual and eventually murdered because he was one of the only normal decent people ever to be a monarch with power.

"Unlike his father, Henry is described as timid, shy, passive, well-intentioned, and averse to warfare and violence; he was also at times mentally unstable."

That's literally the only sort of King that anyone who isn't fabulously wealthy or entitled needs. And who the gently caress isn't mentally unstable after being king of one place and contested wartime king of another place, thanks to your violent rear end in a top hat dad, since infancy?

There was that one king who iirc got real fat and spent all day loving whores to the point where he had a special threesome chair made for it, and possibly made peace with France to have easier access to French whores and cooking

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have seen a replica of that chair and it is fabulous.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Don't they pull up items from Doggerland which would be at least 8000 years old plus all those cave paintings in France and Spain that are tens of thousands of years old. Seems like people have been there since the Stone age imo

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

500excf type r posted:

Don't they pull up items from Doggerland which would be at least 8000 years old plus all those cave paintings in France and Spain that are tens of thousands of years old. Seems like people have been there since the Stone age imo

The people were there for tens of thousands of years, but new cultures and people immigrated and/or invaded over time. An example of how this can go is paleo genetic studies on scandinavia from 4000-5000 years ago. There the original hunter gatherers co existed with, mixed with and adopted the farming practice of immigrating farming populations genetically from the middle east. The geneflow however were unidirectional, so even though these cultures seemingly coexisted for hundreds of years the hunter gatherer population appears to have remained genetically distinct until they were wholly supplanted by the new hybrid population who stuck to the farming culture introduced by the "middle eastern" farmers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was that one king who iirc got real fat and spent all day loving whores to the point where he had a special threesome chair made for it, and possibly made peace with France to have easier access to French whores and cooking

Could be Edward IV? The dude GRRM based Robert Baratheon largely on?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

edward vii was the one with the sexsled no-one's 100% sure on how it was supposed to work

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Beachcomber posted:

I have seen a replica of that chair and it is fabulous.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
A truly excellent post/avatar combo there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

hard counter posted:

edward vii was the one with the sexsled no-one's 100% sure on how it was supposed to work

Me neither, but I'm willing to do some research

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

that seems fairly straightforward tbh

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And rather vanilla from a modern view point really.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
imagine being the king of england and not even having a cake fart chamber

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
A bit late but for those of you despairing that avocado is not named after testicles, you can take comfort in that orchids are!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I didn't read avocado blog the first time around but they're being a little precious about it.

quote:

We would however not generally consider it to be "partly correct" to say that "wiener schnitzel" kind of means "Penis schnitzel" or that "nut case" kind of means "testicle box".
They've obviously not met a 14 year old.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

that seems fairly straightforward tbh

Gotta give the guy credit for thinking of the comfort of the women he's loving, though. That looks pretty comfortable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

Gotta give the guy credit for thinking of the comfort of the women he's loving, though. That looks pretty comfortable.

Nah, it was less for their comfort and more as the only way he could get his dick lined up. Dude was seriously fat. Like had gangrenous sores on his legs levels of obesity.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Krankenstyle posted:

this is cool

A 5700 year-old human genome and oral microbiome from chewed birch pitch

Birch pitch was used as chewing gum and painkiller from the stone age into early modern times. They've extracted DNA from a piece of birch gum found in southern Denmark, and can say that it was used by a woman with dark skin, dark hair, and blue eyes. She had recently eaten mallard and hazel nuts.

They've named the woman Lola. Here's an artist's rendition of how she might have looked (it is unknown how old she was):

Full disclosure: One of my mates is lead author on this. I remember trying to help him get some lovely GIS software to work back when he first started archaeology some 10 years ago lol
So, when they get around to human cloning, somebody's gonna try and use this DNA just to say that they could, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wanna eat mallard and nuts on a bed of moss :(

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This account was written by Imad al-Din al-Isfahani, a friend and chancellor of Saladin, as part of his History of the Fall of Jerusalem. It describes the arrival of “Frankish” (term used by Muslims that really meant Christian European) women in Jerusalem during the Crusades. It is quite an exciting read. His hate-boner is impressive.

quote:

There arrived by ship three hundred lovely Frankish women, full of youth and beauty, assembled from beyond the sea and offering themselves for sin. They were expatriates come to help expatriates, ready to cheer the fallen and sustained in turn to give support and assistance, and they glowed with ardour for carnal intercourse. They were all licentious harlots, proud and scornful, who took and gave, foulfleshed and sinful, singers and coquettes, appearing proudly in public, ardent and inflamed, tinted and painted, desirable and appetizing, exquisite and graceful, who ripped open and patched up, lacerated and mended, erred and ogled, urged and seduced, consoled and solicited, seductive and languid, desired and desiring, amused and amusing, versatile and cunning, like tipsy adolescents, making love and selling themselves for gold, bold and ardent, loving and passionate, pink-faced and unblushing, black-eyed and bullying, callipygian and graceful, with nasal voices and fleshy thighs, blue-eyed and grey-eyed, broken-down little fools. Each one trailed the train of her robe behind her and bewitched the beholder with her effulgence. She swayed like a sapling, revealed herself like a strong castle, quivered like a small branch, walked proudly with a cross on her breast, sold her graces for gratitude, and longed to lose her robe and her honour. They arrived after consecrating their persons as if to works of piety, and offered and prostituted the most chaste and precious among them. They said that they set out with the intention of consecrating their charms, that they did not intend to refuse themselves to bachelors, and they maintained that they could make themselves acceptable to God by no better sacrifice than this. So they set themselves up each in a pavilion or tent erected for her use, together with other lovely young girls of their age, and opened the gates of pleasure. They dedicated as a holy offering what they kept between their thighs; they were openly licentious and devoted themselves to relaxation; they removed every obstacle to making of themselves free offerings. They plied a brisk trade in dissoluteness, adorned the patched-up fissures, poured themselves into the springs of libertinage, shut themselves up in private under the amorous transports of men, offered their wares for enjoyment, invited the shameless into their embrace, mounted breasts on backs, bestowed their wares on the poor, brought their silver anklets up to touch their golden ear-rings, and were willingly spread out on the carpet of amorous sport. They made themselves targets for men’s darts, they were permitted territory for forbidden acts, they offered themselves to the lances’ blows and humiliated themselves to their lovers. They put up the tent and loosed the girdle after agreement had been reached. They were the places where tent-pegs are driven in, they invited swords to enter their sheaths, they razed their terrain for planting, they made javelins rise toward shields, excited the plough to plough, gave the birds a place to peck with their beaks, allowed heads to enter their ante-chambers and raced under whoever bestrode them at the spur’s blow. They took the parched man’s sinews to the well, fitted arrows to the bow’s handle, cut off sword-belts, engraved coins, welcomed birds into the nest of their thighs, caught in their nets the horns of butting rams, removed the interdict from what is protected, withdrew the veil from what is hidden. They interwove leg with leg, slaked their lovers’ thirsts, caught lizard after lizard in their holes, disregarded the wickedness of their intimacies, guided pens to inkwells, torrents to the valley bottom, streams to pools, swords to scabbards, gold ingots to crucibles, infidel girdles to women’s zones, firewood to the stove, guilty men to low dungeons, money-changers to dinar, necks to bellies, motes to eyes. They contested for tree-trunks, wandered far and wide to collect fruit, and maintained that this was an act of piety without equal, especially to those who were far from home and wives. They mixed wine, and with the eye of sin they begged for its hire. The men of our army heard tell of them, and were at a loss to know how such women could perform acts of piety by abandoning all decency and shame.
...Now among the Franks a woman who gives herself to a celibate man commits no sin, and her justification is even greater in the case of a priest, if chaste men in dire need find relief in enjoying her. Another person to arrive by sea was a noblewoman who was very wealthy. She was a queen in her own land, and arrived accompanied by five hundred knights with their horses and money, pages and valets, she paying all their expenses and treating them generously out of her wealth. They rode out when she rode out, charged when she charged, flung themselves into the fray at her side, their ranks unwavering as long as she stood firm. Among the Franks there were indeed women who rode into battle with cuirasses and helmets, dressed in men’s clothes; who rode out into the thick of the fray and acted like brave men although they were but tender women, maintaining that all this was an act of piety, thinking to gain heavenly rewards by it, and making it their way of life. Praise be to him who led them into such error and out of the paths of wisdom! On the day of battle more than one woman rode out with them like a knight and showed (masculine) endurance in spite of the weakness (of her sex); clothed only in a coat of mail they were not recognized as women until they had been stripped of their arms. Some of them were discovered and sold as slaves.

I love reading the defamatory, hate-filled rants written by medieval Muslims about Christians, and vice-versa. It’s just over the top.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Feb 13, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

This is the most literal hate-boner I’ve ever seen

Also: "[They] brought their silver anklets up to touch their golden ear-rings" - these are some impressive acrobatics :v:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
That whole monologue about prostitutes is 100% twitter dudes ranting about gay marriage while in the other browser, incognito mode, they're copy pasting search terms

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

that is some lusty history :shlick: also it kind of reads like dialogue from Letterkenny.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Sorry to bother you guys; what's the title reference?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

System Metternich posted:

This is the most literal hate-boner I’ve ever seen

Also: "[They] brought their silver anklets up to touch their golden ear-rings" - these are some impressive acrobatics :v:

Uhh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This account was written by Imad al-Din al-Isfahani, a friend and chancellor of Saladin, as part of his History of the Fall of Jerusalem. It describes the arrival of “Frankish” (term used by Muslims that really meant Christian European) women in Jerusalem during the Crusades. It is quite an exciting read. His hate-boner is impressive.

I love reading the defamatory, hate-filled rants written by medieval Muslims about Christians, and vice-versa. It’s just over the top.

Do we have the manuscript?

We need some palæographologists to investigate the hypothesis that he was writing with his off hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Daikloktos posted:

Sorry to bother you guys; what's the title reference?

It's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reference