Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

So, did the dirty communists manage to lose/dump a bioweapon in a fish market, or are they a priori lying about the origin too, to save face and crack down on the exotic animal food merchants in one fell swoop?

Asking for Alex J a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dante80 posted:

So, did the dirty communists manage to lose/dump a bioweapon in a fish market, or are they a priori lying about the origin too, to save face and crack down on the exotic animal food merchants in one fell swoop?

In the Lancet study of the the initial cluster of 40 cases- 14 of them had no connection whatsoever to the fish market, including patient zero.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

prester jane has a fever and the only prescription is more posting

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
millions dead from red-chinavirus-19

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
this thread is loving insane

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Dante80 posted:

at this point we have literally no idea what's going on so just make up any story you want

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
wasn't the outbreak started by a pangolin not bioweapons labs with chinese characteristics?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Prester Jane posted:

They weren't engineering it to be super deadly, just super infectious.

A nation-state wouldn't try to make something so infectious, because that all but guarantees that you'll be dealing with it yourself soon enough.

A central problem with biowarfare stuff in general is that in order to use it, you have to give samples to your targets.
This places some interesting constraints in the design of these things.

Basically, this virus would be a lovely weapon.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

redleader posted:

millions dead from red-chinavirus-19

its even better than that lol

Prester Jane posted:

Ordinarily I would dismiss the idea that the UN would ever publicly admit that China just oopsied and accidentally released some kind of biological agent, but I actually expect that to happen in this case. You know why?

Now mind you the UN is completely crave and it would never dare criticize a country with his powerful in economy or as large and Military as China. But the thing is, China doesn't have an economy anymore. And I really mean that, China's economy no longer exists, because all its manufacturing equipment is covered in a deadly plague and until we figure out a way to deal with that there's nothing that can be done.

And in about three months, China's military isn't going to exist either. Because according to reports from the ground, all the police and members of the military who are being sent into Wuhan/ Hubei are getting infected. So without an economy to support it or Amendment, China's military will effectively cease to exist.

And once that happens China will have nothing to offer to anyone except hundreds of millions of needy refugees who are desperately fleeing for the nearest border (and probably being machine gunned while trying to cross it).

a disease with a max of 2% mortality is actively wiping china off the map as we speak

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
what we need now more than anything is dialog

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Prester Jane posted:

In the Lancet study of the the initial cluster of 40 cases- 14 of them had no connection whatsoever to the fish market, including patient zero.

This does not mean what you think it is.

27 (66%) patients had direct exposure to Huanan seafood market (figure 1B). Market exposure was similar between the patients with ICU care (nine [69%]) and those with non-ICU care (18 [64%]). The symptom onset date of the first patient identified was Dec 1, 2019. None of his family members developed fever or any respiratory symptoms. No epidemiological link was found between the first patient and later cases. The first fatal case, who had continuous exposure to the market, was admitted to hospital because of a 7-day history of fever, cough, and dyspnoea. 5 days after illness onset, his wife, a 53-year-old woman who had no known history of exposure to the market, also presented with pneumonia and was hospitalised in the isolation ward.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Cutting through the bullshit false narratives that a group of Authoritarians are putting out is very much in my wheelhouse.

Hurricanes aren't, and I learned my lesson from that experience.

Prester Jane posted:

I never argued or implied that the 77 H1N1 release was a bioweapon or anything like that, it was a fuckup caused by an ineffective bureaucracy.

If all you want is something super infectious we can accomplish that goal with our current level of scientific knowledge. I'm not saying that whatever they were doing they were necessarily done with it or that they had a goal beyond "make it really infectious", but they manipulated this thing to be hyper infectious and oh boy howdy they fuckin succeeded.

So much so that they lost control of it.

PJ have you considered you know as much about diseases as you do about hurricanes

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

Yeah, the term "bioweapon" is probably a misnomer in this case. It's more likely it was something they were screwing around with that got loose.

Accidental release of an "experimental organism" doesn't really sound much better though.
LOL

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

this is the best thread on the forums right now. thank you so much, all of you

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Prester Jane posted:

Cutting through the bullshit false narratives that a group of Authoritarians are putting out is very much in my wheelhouse.

Hurricanes aren't, and I learned my lesson from that experience.

your wheelhouse is making broad, wholly unsupported assertions about whatever topic happens to catch your fancy at the moment and then gish galloping like mad the second anyone calls you out on it

oh, and asking to speak to the manager. that’s very much in your wheelhouse

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Dante80 posted:

This does not mean what you think it is.

27 (66%) patients had direct exposure to Huanan seafood market (figure 1B). Market exposure was similar between the patients with ICU care (nine [69%]) and those with non-ICU care (18 [64%]). The symptom onset date of the first patient identified was Dec 1, 2019. None of his family members developed fever or any respiratory symptoms. No epidemiological link was found between the first patient and later cases. The first fatal case, who had continuous exposure to the market, was admitted to hospital because of a 7-day history of fever, cough, and dyspnoea. 5 days after illness onset, his wife, a 53-year-old woman who had no known history of exposure to the market, also presented with pneumonia and was hospitalised in the isolation ward.

No link was found doesn't mean it didn't exist.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

redleader posted:

lmfao at the dumbshit tankie being homex

lmfao at pj going full infowars over a methodology correction

lmfao at everything

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

Yeah, the term "bioweapon" is probably a misnomer in this case. It's more likely it was something they were screwing around with that got loose.

Accidental release of an "experimental organism" doesn't really sound much better though.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i love the madness feed me more

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

imo this is a more appropriate response to pj's posting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019
We need less dialogue, more analog.

Quarantine this thread from the forums for the safety of the general internet population

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ok since we are solidly in conspiracy world think about this.

China did intentionally release this ridiculous poo poo because it temporarily disrupts their economy by day 40% or whatever. The ripple effects though destabilize the entire world economy for much longer and China is the first to recover because they had to deal with it first.

This in turn cements them as even more of a world power because they are the first to be able to to start mass manufacturing poo poo and supply the world.

done and done

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

breaking: my sources in china have sacrificed their lives to bring me this picture from hubei province, the disease has evolved at an alarming rate

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

redleader posted:

Yeah lmao

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Disinfect thread, quarantine OP

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

If the insane totalitarian ccp could not quarantine it, sa mods have absolutely no loving chance

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
has the WHO discussed whether or not the virus is transmittable thhrough posting??

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

contact the cdc if the posting in your thread deteriorates

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Disinfect thread, quarantine OP

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

has the WHO discussed whether or not the virus is transmittable thhrough posting??

I'm coughing into your PM's

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'd PM the CDC but they're too underfunded to afford plat

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Diamind Princess is a perfect case to study how fast the virus transmit in ineffective containment and calculate the actual R0 value.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Singapore has 8 new cases. A new high for number in a day. I don’t think heat, humidity, and sunshine inactivate the virus cause the forecast for this week is highs of upper 80s, partially cloudy and super humid.

Also a taxi driver in Japan and a doctor in Japan just got diagnosed and they don’t know how they got it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Varinn posted:

breaking: my sources in china have sacrificed their lives to bring me this picture from hubei province, the disease has evolved at an alarming rate

More logical than anything pj is posting

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
can we get pj thread banned? she’s just making GBS threads it up with chicken little nonsense and insane conspiracy theories she’s making. it brings no value to read and details the thread for multiple pages while people ridicule her or even more insanely try to respond.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1227923142896738304?s=21

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lote posted:

Singapore has 8 new cases. A new high for number in a day. I don’t think heat, humidity, and sunshine inactivate the virus cause the forecast for this week is highs of upper 80s, partially cloudy and super humid.

Also a taxi driver in Japan and a doctor in Japan just got diagnosed and they don’t know how they got it.

Just read over at the guardian that 5 of the Diamond Princess patients are on respirators.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

poo poo, one of the cruise ship patients?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Minrad posted:

If the insane totalitarian ccp could not quarantine it, sa mods have absolutely no loving chance
the center for posting control and meltdown prevention