Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If your Birb is acting like a human baby I have so many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain Log posted:

Are birds psychic?

Today, Serra started flock calling to my father like he had just got home. I poked my head out the door and didn’t see our car.

Sixty seconds later, my Dad pulls up.

This isn’t the first time that’s happened. Do parrots have sonic hearing?

I can imagine them hearing the car. What I have a harder time understanding is how Serra knew that the car belonged to your dad as opposed to being the pizza guy or something.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Inglonias posted:

I can imagine them hearing the car. What I have a harder time understanding is how Serra knew that the car belonged to your dad as opposed to being the pizza guy or something.

Different cars sound different. If you can hear a car five minutes away it's trivially easy to tell which of the cars you hear on a regular basis is the one you are hearing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I think I’m going to start experimenting when I’m able. The car is a 2013, which has a pretty generic sound to me. Clearly, to Serra the car has a very unique sound.

The other handy thing is she will normally freak out if a delivery person enters our back porch. We recently got a bag of recycling stolen from our enclosed patio, so whenever Serra gets noisy I’m looking around out there.

(Oregon is a ten cent refund for a bottle or can state. That’s the most you’ll get in America by a lot.)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Exhaust noises are fairly distinct depending on engine setup (firing order, number of cylinders, etc) and exhaust set up (size of pipe, muffler style, exhaust routing, etc), so I'd say its entirely possible for an animal who is very sensitive to tone, pitch and the like to be able to distinguish between them. Now what I'd be interested in is if a bird could distinguish between different cars of the same year, make, model and engine by the various differences it picks up as it ages. Like the suspension squeaks as it turns into a driveway, an exhaust leak, etc.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Sure it ain't just a timing thing? Car gets back at a similar time each day?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

It might be any of these things. I admit that I don't spend a lot of time with cars. My ability to determine what a car is by engine noise basically boils down to "truck size, car size, or bike size?"

Someone apply for a research grant. This sounds like Ig-Nobel prize territory to me. "Can cockatiels tell the difference between vehicles based on sound?"

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

zcrow posted:

Sure it ain't just a timing thing? Car gets back at a similar time each day?

This is a good point!
There may be a confirmation bias at play here, as well. What about times the bird hears a similar car and reacts but no one comes through the door?

But two things are for sure: birds hear cars and birds love people :kimchi:

Nokanoh
Jan 24, 2014
Long time watcher - not often poster. I love birds and love bird art, and bird related things but with cats I don't have a place for a bird in my life.

However I could make place for parrot related lego structures: https://www.jekca.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=618

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Apparently my stepmom's old dog used to get very excited if she heard my old truck turn onto their street, but that truck was elderly and rattly and had a distinctive sound. That dog was also dumb as a post, for the record. She was a sweetheart, but I have known few dogs as dumb as that one. She couldn't figure out stairs. She still knew my truck.

As far as my birds and car sounds go, I dunno, I'm on the sixth floor. But I've definitely had my phone ding while I'm in the hallway on my way to my door and they recognise that.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Exhaust noises are fairly distinct depending on engine setup (firing order, number of cylinders, etc) and exhaust set up (size of pipe, muffler style, exhaust routing, etc), so I'd say its entirely possible for an animal who is very sensitive to tone, pitch and the like to be able to distinguish between them. Now what I'd be interested in is if a bird could distinguish between different cars of the same year, make, model and engine by the various differences it picks up as it ages. Like the suspension squeaks as it turns into a driveway, an exhaust leak, etc.

Now I want to hear a budgie imitating a bridgeport rotary at idle, and then going wide open throttle when he sees his favorite humansnacks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My father works at a dispensary in Oregon and doesn’t have set hours. The time he comes home is always random.

My hearing is one of the few things that works well and even I could normally discern certain cars when they got close as a child. In today’s world, they all basically sound the same to my untrained “a car is a car” ear.

I need a few million to figure this out.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Inglonias posted:

It might be any of these things. I admit that I don't spend a lot of time with cars. My ability to determine what a car is by engine noise basically boils down to "truck size, car size, or bike size?"

Someone apply for a research grant. This sounds like Ig-Nobel prize territory to me. "Can cockatiels tell the difference between vehicles based on sound?"

At the old place I used to rent, our landlord would come over every other month in the afternoon to mow the lawns and do the gardens, usually around the same time that I would get home from work.

I was having a chat with him one day, and he could always tell when I got home (if he was in the backyard already doing yard work) as Taco would go mental. When he rocked up in his car, she wouldn't make a noise, but 5 minutes later when I got home she would start her Welcome Home yelling. So she could definately tell the difference between my car and someone elses, even when they would arrive at similar times.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This will be relevant later - for those of you who don't own cockatiels, their crest is like a mood ring. One glance at the crest can tell you if a bird is playing, pissed, content, scared, etc.

After her night fright, I've started keeping Serra's cage on my nightstand at night. The vet told me she REALLY didn't need another blood loss incident for the next two weeks.

Well, it's been nearly two weeks and I think I'm going to permanently carry her into my room. Previously, I was always listening for a fright and lumbering out to the living room is I heard anything. Now, I sleep better and would like to think Serra does too.

The other night, I had Serra covered up next to me while I did some reading in bed. I started to hear little "Hiss-squeak-hiss" noises. Up to this point, she had been sleeping soundly all the previous nights. I started to hear a light banging on the cage. I decided to check on her, to make sure a night fright wasn't about to happen.

She was taking a dangling toy she never touches and sorta-but-not-really play fighting with it. But not angry-scared-fighting, playful-fighting. She then looked at me, with one claw on the toy, and didn't move. Her crest was in "I'm having fun" mode. It completely felt like I'd caught a five year old playing after bedtime. I sternly told her, "Bedtime..." and she crawled up to her sleeping corner, looking cheeky.

Apparently, birds like to have a little secretive play around in the middle of the night.

:derptiel:

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Do you guys know how hard it is for me to not go and rescue 5 birds and a senior dog

(also how actual hard it is for me to do that because I wouldn't know the first place to rescue a bird)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yfN27cb1kE

Here is ASMR of cold brew coffee + budgie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7T-hPs1eyw

iRend fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 11, 2020

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

iRend posted:

(also how actual hard it is for me to do that because I wouldn't know the first place to rescue a bird)

just dump a bag of sunflower seeds on your patio, you'll have shitloads of birds in no time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

GoldStandardConure posted:

just dump a bag of sunflower seeds on your patio, you'll have shitloads of birds in no time.

In America, that would be just as likely to attract 500 squirrels and a possum. I don’t enjoy squirrels.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Pig-pig is adorable

and so is Serra

and all the other birds in here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjnRDnz5IBs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Sonic Bird Hearing - Today I was riding my stationary bike, which gives me a view of the parking lot. Serra almost always naps when I'm biking for my ninety daily minutes. Also, our patio is completely enclosed, so Serra cannot see anything out there. This includes shadows.

Someone walked by about twenty yards away. Serra promptly went into crest up mode and started flock calling towards the patio. I turned towards the patio, expecting an Amazon delivery or something similar. Nothing happened, no cars, no noise I could hear, just the person walking by.

Birds.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

In America, that would be just as likely to attract 500 squirrels and a possum. I don’t enjoy squirrels.

Spike it with chili. Birds don't react the same way as mammals to capsaicin. The hotter the chili the happier the bird is. Mine do little grumbly crunches that translate to bird purring when they get chili and capsicum seeds.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Spike it with chili. Birds don't react the same way as mammals to capsaicin. The hotter the chili the happier the bird is. Mine do little grumbly crunches that translate to bird purring when they get chili and capsicum seeds.

:hmmyes:

Admittedly, the squirrels in the American south are a completely different level of rear end in a top hat than the few I run into in the PNW.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Captain Log posted:

As an Australian I cannot comprehend the idea of not enjoying squirrels, they're little and cute and fluffy and you just have them running around like it's normal??? I'd never stop exclaiming over them!

I think it's the same as how you feel about galahs compared to how we do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like squirrels, too, but have you ever seen squirrels destroy a car's wiring because it was coated in soy-based plastic?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

I like squirrels, too, but have you ever seen squirrels destroy a car's wiring because it was coated in soy-based plastic?

a friend in brisbane had this happen to his car with rats lol

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Squirrels are just fancy tree rats. However, I happen to very much like rats.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What was Pete Buttigieg doing in Bri whoops sorry wrong . thread

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Organza Quiz posted:

As an Australian I cannot comprehend the idea of not enjoying squirrels, they're little and cute and fluffy and you just have them running around like it's normal??? I'd never stop exclaiming over them!

American chiming in: because you buy a big bag of bird seed and those furry thieves empty the bird feeder overnight, depriving me of the chance to watch birds use it while doing dishes.

I love seeing squirrels, but no regrets about squirrel proofing the bird feeder. Especially since they're still getting fed - I spill a decent amount on the ground when refilling it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I used to live in a 17th floor apartment so our feeders on the balcony were safe from squirrels. Mourning doves were the big bullies up there and liked to just sit and block the feeder openings from the little songbirds. Sometimes a crow would drop by and he'd clear the place out real fast.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/6EmLZ5y.mp4

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Mulan was such a good movie.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I'm a little worried about Bradbury today. He's puffier and quieter than usual, and napping more than he usually does. Eating and drinking seems normal, he's played a bit, preened a little, and is pooping normally, but he's been sleepy all morning when he's usually quiet active during the day. He still came to play fight with Mr. ana at least. Nostrils and vent are all dry and clean looking, doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe or sneezing or vomiting, but this isn't normal behaviour for him. I need to hunt down a new avian vet. The last guy (who hosed up Mochi real bad during a routine wing and nail trim) mysteriously died shortly after.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

StrixNebulosa posted:

American chiming in: because you buy a big bag of bird seed and those furry thieves empty the bird feeder overnight, depriving me of the chance to watch birds use it while doing dishes.

I love seeing squirrels, but no regrets about squirrel proofing the bird feeder. Especially since they're still getting fed - I spill a decent amount on the ground when refilling it.

This, this, and this.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

subpar anachronism posted:

I'm a little worried about Bradbury today. He's puffier and quieter than usual, and napping more than he usually does. Eating and drinking seems normal, he's played a bit, preened a little, and is pooping normally, but he's been sleepy all morning when he's usually quiet active during the day. He still came to play fight with Mr. ana at least. Nostrils and vent are all dry and clean looking, doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe or sneezing or vomiting, but this isn't normal behaviour for him. I need to hunt down a new avian vet. The last guy (who hosed up Mochi real bad during a routine wing and nail trim) mysteriously died shortly after.

Yeah, if you can find an alternative vet I'd definitely take him in and see if the doctor recommends bloodwork and/or a gram stain. Even if it all comes back normal and Bradbury is just making you worry on purpose that peace of mind is invaluable.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
e: drat, opsec.

iRend fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 13, 2020

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Our new little buddy stepped up for the first time yesterday. It was mostly millett based bribery but still proud parents.

A question for cockatiel veterans: a couple of times a day he just starts running supersonic laps around the bottom of his cage for a couple of minutes and then jumping on the cage door and beating his wings a crazy amount for ten to twenty seconds. We're going to let him out for the first time this weekend but wanted to know if this behaviour is normal? I genuinely can't tell if he's excited/exercising/stressed out/mad and I really hope he isn't unhappy.

Also stinky wet bird bonus photo:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Caedes posted:

Our new little buddy stepped up for the first time yesterday. It was mostly millett based bribery but still proud parents.

A question for cockatiel veterans: a couple of times a day he just starts running supersonic laps around the bottom of his cage for a couple of minutes and then jumping on the cage door and beating his wings a crazy amount for ten to twenty seconds. We're going to let him out for the first time this weekend but wanted to know if this behaviour is normal? I genuinely can't tell if he's excited/exercising/stressed out/mad and I really hope he isn't unhappy.

Also stinky wet bird bonus photo:

Awwwww!!! :3:

Normally, the wing flapping against a surface is a little bit practice, a little bit marking their territory. Serra only does it inside or on top of her cage. Although she will hang upside down to do it.

Most cockatiel owners I've spoken with over the decades also agree that it's a sorta doofusy way they go, "My area! My area!"

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Good to hear :)

I'm sure we'll learn what makes him tick sooner or later but I'm always worried we're going to be stressing him out. Almost certainly overthinking it.

Backreading through this thread has been extremely helpful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Organza Quiz posted:

Or cockatoos, I get sulphur-crested cockatoos hanging around just outside my door occasionally screaming. Though I like them anyway.

I also have the same feeling about raccoons.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I might've said this, but it seems to me that the more naturalized an animal is in human cities, the more we categorize them as vermin and hate them. Which is silly, because here we are making our own habitat, of course there are going to be animals that will take advantage of that. Hell, some are adapted to it, they've lived with us so long.

So, in North America because that's all I can personally speak to, squirrels, raccoons, crows, mice and rats, all are hated, because they're here in a way you can't ignore. I mean, there's lots of other urban animals, but they're either small (sparrows and other small birds that thrive in cities) or basically invisible (coyotes and foxes, which are all over the place here but you rarely see them).

I dunno. Maybe living where occasionally a bear or moose wanders into city limits before heading back out to where they belong and in the meantime you just give them their space colours my perspective, but for the most part I'm content to live and let live. I know my uncle in Vancouver has been having a vicious war with squirrels for years, and I just can't envision caring about squirrels that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I can when the little bastards gently caress up bird feeders, that's why my grandpa hates them. :v: But yeah, most of the time outside of them being actively Inside My loving House Oh God Nobody Is Happy Right Now, I'm cool with them. Raccoons and their creepy little people hands are especially neat.