Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
drat the 400 5.6 just got a new lease on life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
And just to add to the 0_0 news,

Canon EOS R6 rumoured Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)
June 2020 launch (CR thinksMay announce)

Supposably this one is going to be cheaper than the RP

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

harperdc posted:

Probably not much, because of the adapters that are available.

[Edit] also depends on how the IBIS is designed to work in concert with Canon’s IS on lenses. But that’ll only be known once those things are truly out and in the wild.

quote:

5 stops with IBIS alone
7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization

What I was getting at is that I think the older glass becomes more valuable.

The rumoured spec list lists further stop improvements when combined with ILIS. So non-IS or worse than current model IS Canon lenses might become a much better deal when combined with this body.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 29, 2020

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
The LP-E6N that came with my 80D seems a little tired - getting 350 - 400 with some live view shooting. Is the go to for spares still Wasabi? It looks like Neewer has replacements too and they seem to make decent 3rd party camera stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finally laid my trusty crusty Rebel XS to rest and bought a real cheap t3i mainly to shoot video

Do you guys find it’s worth it to go to magic lantern for shooting video for the extra control options?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

AF posted:

The LP-E6N that came with my 80D seems a little tired - getting 350 - 400 with some live view shooting. Is the go to for spares still Wasabi? It looks like Neewer has replacements too and they seem to make decent 3rd party camera stuff.

I looked around and in the end ended up sucking it up and buying a Canon battery, too many 1* - 5* only reviews on 3rd party ones.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Finally laid my trusty crusty Rebel XS to rest and bought a real cheap t3i mainly to shoot video

Do you guys find it’s worth it to go to magic lantern for shooting video for the extra control options?

Speaking as a T3i user with ML: depends on how hard you're going to push the camera. If you're getting in-camera audio, the extra controls are definitely worth the upgrade, full stop. Beyond that, though, the default video controls on the T3i are mostly fine, but ML does add a bunch of useful features on top of them if you want things like focus peaking, zebra striping, on-screen histograms, intervalometer, rack focus, etc.

Actually, now that I look at that list, I'd be more inclined to say go for it anyway. It wouldn't hurt to get used to the default controls first, though.

Be aware that, on the T3i, RAW video recording in ML is a bit lacking. You won't be able to get more than a few seconds of video at 720p before it starts overheating.

Also, no audio monitoring on the T3i. Not even ML can get around that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh, overheating sounds bad. How do I know when that’s happening?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And just to add to the 0_0 news,

Canon EOS R6 rumoured Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
4K @ 60p
New battery (Not sure if it’s the same as the EOS R5)
June 2020 launch (CR thinksMay announce)

Supposably this one is going to be cheaper than the RP

Someone school me on the differences between a 24mp APS-C sensor (80D) and a 20mp full frame sensor. 12-20fps and IBIS sounds fuckin' fantastic for wildlife/action shooting but the 24-20mp potential 'downgrade' on the sensor is maybe a concern? Though I guess the 7D2 is a 20.2mp APS-C sensor and people have been using that just fine for years.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

charliebravo77 posted:

Someone school me on the differences between a 24mp APS-C sensor (80D) and a 20mp full frame sensor. 12-20fps and IBIS sounds fuckin' fantastic for wildlife/action shooting but the 24-20mp potential 'downgrade' on the sensor is maybe a concern? Though I guess the 7D2 is a 20.2mp APS-C sensor and people have been using that just fine for years.

Your high res crop (small sensor with FF image projection) and then crop again (lots of pixels for lightroom) for extra reach is gone basically.

How much real optical resolution you lose is debatable depending on your lens.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 31, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A FF sensor is always going to be "better" than APS-C because it is physically bigger. The advantages this creates are a bigger image circle out of the lens (better resolution), the light hits a bigger area (less diffraction), better low light performance (due to the light sensing pixels being bigger), and better dynamic range (like half a stop, but it's there).

These advantages may be quite small and in the don't-give-a-gently caress category, but it is testable and the differences are there.

Yes, with fewer megapixels you won't be able to crop in as much during post and it's a valid concern but that depends on the type of shooting you do.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Hmm, yeah the stuff I shoot the most is landscape, documentary-style shots and wildlife, which all are sort of at odds with each other on the FF/crop argument, though I'm not going to buy two new bodies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I went with the 80d, it's fast enough for zooming motorbikes and good enough for landscapes. It doesn't excel at anything but it's not bad at anything either.

(but I'm really itching to go mirrorless in the next year or so)

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Uh, overheating sounds bad. How do I know when that’s happening?

It stops recording. It won't, like, burst into flames or anything. Probably.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Someone school me on the differences between a 24mp APS-C sensor (80D) and a 20mp full frame sensor.
more photons/pixel and probably a more modern sensor on top. My FX (filthy nikon user) body is 35MP and I'd happily trade that poo poo away for better AF and advance.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

charliebravo77 posted:

It's a trade off between a bigger, lower density sensor which is great for general purpose and low light, versus a smaller denser sensor which is better for sports and longer reach in good quality light (smaller pixels, tighter framing for the same focal length lens).

Really it's a question of density, full frame versus APS-C only matters for framing on a given lens length. If you had the same density you'd just frame wider and crop out the edges to exactly match a high density APS-C result. But getting APS-C density on a full frame size sensor is stupid expensive, and you end up with lower fps due to the computing requirements for that many pixels.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 1, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Honestly the 32MP sensor on the m6ii and 90D seems like a great compromise in that you get the additional pixels for landscape along with an apsc crop for that longer apparent reach with wildlife. With such pixel density you will definitely start to see more apparant flaws in the optics your lenses, but sigma's ef-m primes reportedly stand up to the resolution pretty well.

If the apsc crop mode on the 42MP a7r is 18MP, you'd need a theoretical ... 75-ish (?) MP FF sensor to match the pixel density of the new Canon apsc sensors. Crazy.

They're kind of expensive at launch but once (if) they go down in price a little bit, combined with the great prices on sigma and Canon ef-m and ef-s glass, you're looking at maybe the best value crop sensor system on the market imo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a good long-form guide for shooting dslr video? Everything I find is listicles listing the same 10 tips

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
1) make sure to label all your YouTube videos as ~*cinematic*~

2) constant jump cuts, never have a shot longer than 3 seconds

3) I don't know

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

AF posted:

3) I don't know

always remind viewers to follow, like, and subscribe

and maybe lowkey ask them to check out your Patreon, and thank your sponsors

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

AF posted:

3) I don't know

4) Go on about C-LOG like you invented it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Canon honestly seems like kind of a bad choice for serious video work. (Purpose-built cinema eos units aside.)

So really I guess it'd be: Canon DSLRs seem like kind of a bad choice for serious video work.

Except that Canon mirrorless cameras (that aren't cinema eos units) are also a bad choice for serious video work.

Although the latest gen M6ii and 90D seem to have much improved HD video quality compared to the 80D era and everything before. Never mind the 4K though. But the dual pixel AF is no joke. In terms of usability rather than video pixel-peeping, it's a killer feature.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Sweet holy mother of jesus how things have changed. 10 years ago, Canon was the practically the ONLY choice for serious video work. 7D and 5Dii were used in The Avengers and I can't how you get more serious than that.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think it was the dual factors of Canon 1) not developing their new sensors in a way that allowed for the extreme data rate of high-resolution video without bolting on bulky cooling and processing components and 2) keeping what advances they did make segmented off in the Cinema line.

Reliable hardware, good ergonomics & UI, and badass video AF were supposed to counterbalance the fact that you got (by the standards of the time) soft, moire-prone sub-par HD video on FF Canon DSLRs (let along APSC) when Sony, Fuji, and Panasonic have been putting out cameras that you don't have to keep away from fine texture patterns and detailed landscape shots when shooting video. I think the 80D is still a real popular vlogging camera but the 'more creative' side of the market has moved on.

Not that I wouldn't mothball my X-T2 if you dropped even an old C100 in my lap. Cinema eos is no joke, but everything else they've made (again, save perhaps the M6ii..) is.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Seamonster posted:

Sweet holy mother of jesus how things have changed. 10 years ago, Canon was the practically the ONLY choice for serious video work. 7D and 5Dii were used in The Avengers and I can't how you get more serious than that.

I heard that the Seventh Seal was done with a powershot.

Realtak though: The Matrix used a bunch of A2Es for some crazy 360 degree image capture work.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 5, 2020

Aule
Oct 16, 2019
I just bought my first Canon yesterday! I’m very excited to get out and use it this weekend :D

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a good long-form guide for shooting dslr video? Everything I find is listicles listing the same 10 tips

What specifically are you looking for advice on? Pretty much any useful advice with DSLR video is working around the fact that it's a DSLR.

I guess you could always go years back and look up Vincent Laforet blog articles.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Aule posted:

I just bought my first Canon yesterday! I’m very excited to get out and use it this weekend :D
Details?

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Aule posted:

Congrats! First camera or first Canon?

Aule
Oct 16, 2019

AF posted:

Congrats! First camera or first Canon?

First canon:)

Aule
Oct 16, 2019

ilkhan posted:

Details?

I wanted something a little different to what I have already, so I got the Canon EOS M50 with a 15-45mm lens

Sorry for double post

Aule fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 7, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Speaking of Canon video again, in regards to the M50, the horrific internal crop that it needs to do 4K is apparently kind of neat in that a lot of C-mount lenses will have a big enough image circle to cover the 4K region of the sensor. So you can put a bunch of cheap & weird but fast & wide lenses on it for video.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So the R5/6 is looking like the real deal? I'm still on Canon but I've been planning on getting a Sony A7III for the past 2 years but if Canon is actually back in the game and can compete with Sony I wouldn't mind staying with them. My biggest fear of switching was getting used to Sony's terrible ergonomics and menu system and I'd be quite happy to get all the features I wanted without dealing with that.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

So the R5/6 is looking like the real deal? I'm still on Canon but I've been planning on getting a Sony A7III for the past 2 years but if Canon is actually back in the game and can compete with Sony I wouldn't mind staying with them. My biggest fear of switching was getting used to Sony's terrible ergonomics and menu system and I'd be quite happy to get all the features I wanted without dealing with that.

Pretty much I'll wait for reviews and user experiences etc of course, but using a simple adapter to mount my current collection of EF glass with "native?" performance and getting a doubled up IBIS on my IS glass with Canon menus i'm used too is to strong to resist. Wonder what the sensor is like.

I'll give my 80D to my sis.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They all laughed when I refused to buy IS lenses. WHOS LAUGHING NOW?! *drops lens*

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

R5 had the development notice last night. It's pretty much what we had for leaks.

100-500 f/4-7.1. looks like the 100-400 with some extra reach (with extra slow end aperture to match). Wonder if it'll be the same speed at 400.

Also 1.4 and 2.0x extenders.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Where the hell is the 200-500 5.6? I know the Nikon one kinda sucks and there are obvious alternatives but my tammy 150-600 is "only" 6.3 by 500mm

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Seamonster posted:

Where the hell is the 200-500 5.6? I know the Nikon one kinda sucks and there are obvious alternatives but my tammy 150-600 is "only" 6.3 by 500mm

The 100-500 is probably going to be half the size?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Will Canon do a 600mm f/4 RF mount. I'm super curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GASing hard for this new body and review units aren't even out.

Please don't hurt us again, Canon.