Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Man I've been wanting to rewatch House Of Games for a while, and blam here it is paired up with The Grifters. Can't beat that.

Moar Mamet plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Gripweed posted:

I was led to believe that Smiles of a Summers Night was a romantic comedy? The guy is tormented by his lust for his mother-in-law, who is younger than him. His father, Mother-in-law, and even the maid all know it and tease him mercilessly about it, leaving the guy in a constant state of humiliating arousal. Meanwhile, the father is torn between his lust for his young bride and the fact that he sees her more as a daughter than a wife. So they've never had sex. Which leaves his virginal wife, who also sees him as more of a father than a husband but still wants to have sex with him, terribly sexually frustrated. That's not a romantic comedy! That's a goddamn psycho-sexual semi-incestual nightmare!

And another thing. The back of the case says Smiles of a Summers Night is a Swedish movie, and also a "great erotic comedy". Which would lead any reasonable person to expect that there's gonna be a lot of boobs. But there are no boobs! Not a single boob in the whole 110 minutes.

2/5 stars

Ladies and gentlemen, we have caught the elusive Roger Ebert.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gripweed posted:

I was led to believe that Smiles of a Summers Night was a romantic comedy? The guy is tormented by his lust for his mother-in-law, who is younger than him. His father, Mother-in-law, and even the maid all know it and tease him mercilessly about it, leaving the guy in a constant state of humiliating arousal. Meanwhile, the father is torn between his lust for his young bride and the fact that he sees her more as a daughter than a wife. So they've never had sex. Which leaves his virginal wife, who also sees him as more of a father than a husband but still wants to have sex with him, terribly sexually frustrated. That's not a romantic comedy! That's a goddamn psycho-sexual semi-incestual nightmare!

And another thing. The back of the case says Smiles of a Summers Night is a Swedish movie, and also a "great erotic comedy". Which would lead any reasonable person to expect that there's gonna be a lot of boobs. But there are no boobs! Not a single boob in the whole 110 minutes.

2/5 stars

This is my favorite review in the entire thread

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1227022446428971009?s=20

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Apologies if this is a repeat question - which version of The Leopard (1963) is preferable? I see English version @ 2hr 41min and Italian version @ 3hr 5min

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

fenix down posted:

Apologies if this is a repeat question - which version of The Leopard (1963) is preferable? I see English version @ 2hr 41min and Italian version @ 3hr 5min

Italian.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

fenix down posted:

I'd also hold off on the Criterion Blu since it's from the old 2003 HD master used for DVD despite a new 4K restoration existing, but has only been released in Italy apparently.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd also hold off on the Criterion Blu since it's from the old 2003 HD master used for DVD despite a new 4K restoration existing, but has only been released in Italy apparently.

It has also been released in France and Japan, but neither of those are English friendly. It should also be noted that the Italian edition looks like it's suffering from some severe black crush: https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=8838&d2=8839&s1=84926&s2=84942&i=0&l=0

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Thanks, I just signed up for Criterion Channel and was making a short list of some that aren't available streaming. It's The Leopard, Love Parade, Rebecca, Face in the Crowd, Make Way for Tomorrow, Unfaithfully Yours, and Crumb.

Gotta catch these on CC by the end of the month:
Seven Beauties
Swept Away
Gold Diggers of 1933

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

fenix down posted:

Thanks, I just signed up for Criterion Channel and was making a short list of some that aren't available streaming. It's The Leopard, Love Parade, Rebecca, Face in the Crowd, Make Way for Tomorrow, Unfaithfully Yours, and Crumb.

Seven Beauties
Swept Away
Gold Diggers of 1933

I believe Face in the Crowd popped up for a month recently. They cycle in titles pretty regularly. Also, catch the Melville stuff by the end of the month.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Face in the Crowd was deffo on the Channel last month. I made sure to catch it before it left.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

fenix down posted:

Seven Beauties
Swept Away
Gold Diggers of 1933

Thanks for the reminder, I need to watch the Wertmuller as well. Love & Anarchy was fantastic.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Rejoice!

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1228037570937970690?s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is a masterpiece and an instant buy. Parasite is very loving good and I'm glad it's there.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I saw POALOF and Parasite back to back at a film festival last year and I gotta say Portrait got a more emotional response from me (particularly the ending), but Parasite was the better crafted film. Still, along with the Netflix acquisitions Criterion is on a roll. However I don't know if I can justify the Netflix purchases since I can watch them in 4K through Netflix but not on the Criterion 😔

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

I saw POALOF and Parasite back to back at a film festival last year and I gotta say Portrait got a more emotional response from me (particularly the ending), but Parasite was the better crafted film. Still, along with the Netflix acquisitions Criterion is on a roll. However I don't know if I can justify the Netflix purchases since I can watch them in 4K through Netflix but not on the Criterion 😔

To be frank, as a painter, POALOF might be the best film about the spirit/technique of painting that I've ever seen. And it's a damned good romance, too. And a great film about feminist secret histories. The ending simply crushed me.

Along with Parasite, Apollo 11, Amazing Grace, Honeyland, and Monos...just an amazing year for Neon. And they really loving needed it, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 14, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am glad POALOF is getting wider releases finally, it’s so loving great

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm still thinking about that last scene in Portrait. Like gently caress I want to watch it again just for that scene.

Also my showing had a Q&A with the director, so that was dope.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I got A Master Builder for $3, sight unseen. How is it?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I almost bought Parasite at Target yesterday, I had it in my hand but decided to get it from my local indie store next time I was there instead. I will happily wait for a Criterion though.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

May titles

Wildlife
Husbands
The Great Escape
Scorsese Shorts
Dance, Girl, Dance
Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1228383444872331267

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Great Escape owns

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Agreed, and I really love the cover art.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Now I can understand that reference in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood!

Also I like how they're releasing modern indie movies. I heard good things about Wildlife.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Scorsese Shorts, The Great Escape, Dance Girl Dance, and Husbands are absolute buys for me.

For those who care, here's some of the 99% confirmed stuff that's also in the pipeline:

Box sets:
Fellini 100
Varda
Wong Kar-Wai
Bruce Lee

Individual titles:
Come and See
Streetwise
The Cameraman (Keaton)
The Comfort of Strangers
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
High Hopes (Leigh)
The World's Greatest Sinner
Original Cast Album: Company
Ghost Dog
Coffee and Cigarettes (Jarmusch)
The Secret of Roan Inish
It's All True
The Eyes of Orson Welles
Twentieth Century
Winchester '73

Netflix:
Marriage Story
The Irishman
American Factory
Atlantics
The Other Side of the Wind

Neon:
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Parasite
Memories of Murder

Upgrades (past DVDs not on Blu yet):
Taste of Cherry
Brand Upon the Brain!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So was the Kurosawa box just a thin rumor?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Egbert Souse posted:

The World's Greatest Sinner

I only know of this film because its soundtrack is one of Frank Zappa's earliest works. Pretty wild if it's getting a Criterion release.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Also I like how they're releasing modern indie movies. I heard good things about Wildlife.

Wildlife is good, especially for a debut. It's a small-scale period piece with contemporary allegory, sort of like A Most Violent Year.

See it for Carey Mulligan if nothing else. She's amazing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Secret of Roan Inish is wonderful.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Hell yeah Rohmer. Think it’s an upgrade, right? Really hope they do Comedies and Proverbs and (especially) his Four Seasons sometime, too; they need some love (and alllll the extras, please)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Origami Dali posted:

I really hope they get more Kurosawa out. It's been a while, and the man's films are fantastic.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Oh man, I really hope they put out all the Anthony Mann Jimmy Stewart westerns. I would love a really good version of The Man From Laramie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It’s a shame that they couldn’t work some sorcery to get Street Scenes into that Scorsese set, but the rest of those are nice to have collected together.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I really hope they get more Kurosawa out. It's been a while, and the man's films are fantastic.

I feel like they've just gotta be waiting to get Ran back.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's definitely a new StudioCanal deal as shown by Lola in the BRD Trilogy box and the reprinting of Army of Shadows, but we'll just have to see.

Origami Dali posted:

I had a hunch about it, but I guess it's on the back burner. Perhaps they're waiting for new masters from Toho since I think the only ones with 2K/4K "modern" transfers are Rashomon (4K), Ikiru (4K), Seven Samurai (2K), Throne of Blood (2K), The Hidden Fortress (2K), Ran (4K), and Dreams (4K). And obviously, all are already out except for Ran. There was a leak from someone about Godard, too, so who knows.

Would be amazing if they did manage to do Fellini, Varda, WKW, and Kurosawa all in one year. Not amazing to bank accounts, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1228396736659492864?s=20

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cloks posted:

Also, catch the Melville stuff by the end of the month.
Thanks, checking out Bob Le Flambeur. Looks like I have time though on Le Samourai and Army of Shadows. :coal:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Do Criterion's 24 hour sales come at predictable times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Gripweed posted:

Do Criterion's 24 hour sales come at predictable times?

It's usually around this time on a Tuesday, so it's either going to be tomorrow or next Tuesday.