Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Why isn't it bigger news that apparently lobsterman himself Jordan Peterson is in a coma and may have suffered permanent brain damage because he tried to cold-turkey off benzos in Russia?

e: Whoa, cool snipe. 62 is the number of Chaos Dragons tormenting JP's soul in limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Why isn't it bigger news that apparently lobsterman himself Jordan Peterson is in a coma and may have suffered permanent brain damage because he tried to cold-turkey off benzos in Russia?

He had his 5 minutes, everyone has done their best to forget about him now, I assume.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tonight I dream about my Maiden city
I'll go back to the days I spent there as a boy
I dream about the friends I left behind me
In my city, Londonkerry on the Feale

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Comrade Fakename posted:

e: Whoa, cool snipe. 62 is the number of Chaos Dragons tormenting JP's soul in limbo.

Because he's only worthy of being included in the news when he's offering problematically controversial advice to sheltered proto-fascists, not when he's loving up for reasons he would have avoided if following his advice actually worked, and he actually followed it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Well, really I meant why isn't it bigger news in here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Show some respect. It's Dr. Jordan B. Peterson. You've got to hammer home that soft implication of medical credentials when he's doing something that doctors have said is a terrible idea since about the time that the hypnotic sedative of choice was a quart of whiskey.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Because we're not american proto-fascists?

I don't think I would have known about Peterson at all if not for Breadtube, he's just never been all that famous in the UK, afaik.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His book was prominently positioned everywhere in UK bookshops and I know people who circulated the Peterhole for a while before getting bored.

As we've said before itt tho, everywhere in UK bookshops doesn't necessarily translate to reality.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Audible or Amazon or someone recommended "12 rules for life" to my wife at one point.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Because we're not american proto-fascists?

Yeah, so the fact that he comically almost killed himself is the kind of uplifting news we need in these trying times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean I've been lmaoing about it but I've currently become incredibly obsessed with the SA reddit thread where I cannot stop reading about oblivious idiots coming to the internet for validation only to be called a shithead.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
USA: Appoints William Barr as Attorney General
UK: Hold my wig

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do giphy.gifs embed properly here?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For those not in the know, Jorty Peepers is on the VERY MANLY meat-only diet, and red meat at that. This means he's extremely susceptible to allergic reactions if he accidentally takes in anything other than red meat, and naturally a diet of only red meat isn't giving the body all the nutrients it needs.

Jorty boy decided to solve this by taking benzos, and then became addicted to them and ended up having to go to rehab.

His daughter (also on the dumb meat diet) was sick of doctors diagnosing him with an addiction and malnutrition, so she flies him over to Russia where a bunch of Very Respectable Doctors agree that da, problem not painkillers, problem is giant brain, so they inject him with a bunch of stuff that put him in a coma in the ICU and when he came out of it was permanently brain damaged and unable to move or talk.

12 Rules for Life

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Zizek murdered him live on stage so it was only a matter of time before his lifeforce disappeared.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Tesseraction posted:

For those not in the know, Jorty Peepers is on the VERY MANLY meat-only diet, and red meat at that. This means he's extremely susceptible to allergic reactions if he accidentally takes in anything other than red meat, and naturally a diet of only red meat isn't giving the body all the nutrients it needs.

Jorty boy decided to solve this by taking benzos, and then became addicted to them and ended up having to go to rehab.

His daughter (also on the dumb meat diet) was sick of doctors diagnosing him with an addiction and malnutrition, so she flies him over to Russia where a bunch of Very Respectable Doctors agree that da, problem not painkillers, problem is giant brain, so they inject him with a bunch of stuff that put him in a coma in the ICU and when he came out of it was permanently brain damaged and unable to move or talk.

12 Rules for Life

could you frame this in the form of a reddit AIBU?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
An AIBU sounds like a Japanese robot that goes around stealing peoples' genders.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tesseraction posted:

12 Rules for Life

this is loving incredible

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Think I know where he went wrong.

Bet he didn't keep his room tidy.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
who knew that the Chaos Dragon was knockoff Russian meds the whole time

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Is it confirmed he's permanently hosed? I heard he suffered brain damage but don't know how serious it is.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

StarkingBarfish posted:

I heard he suffered brain damage but don't know how serious it is.
He also had some recent issues stemming from dodgy treatment of his benzo addiction

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here's the source I found

https://youtu.be/DTwEFa5NW2k

Sounds pretty dire.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

quote:

Jordan Peterson has only just come out of an intensive care unit, Mikhaila said. He has neurological damage, and a long way to go to full recovery. He is taking anti-seizure medication and cannot type or walk unaided, but is “on the mend” and his sense of humour has returned.

gently caress sake.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

WhatEvil posted:

gently caress sake.
This would be the same Mikhaila that said:

quote:

"Dad was put on a low dose of a benzodiazepine a few years ago for anxiety following an extremely severe autoimmune reaction to food. He took the medication as prescribed.

We had to seek an emergency medical benzodiazepine detox, which we were only able to find in Russia. It was incredibly grueling, and was further complicated by severe pneumonia With the help of some extremely competent and courageous doctors, he survived.”

Mikhaila concluded the video by noting that her family is “extremely lucky and grateful” that Peterson is alive.
He dead.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

his sense of humour has returned

how could they tell

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i wouldn't wish benzo detox on even jordan peterson. i certainly wouldn't wish Russian pseudoscientific insulin coma detox. good lord he's lucky to be breathing.

and yeah if you're rich and particularly if you're rich and international doctors will 100% prescribe you enough xanax that cessation will straight up kill you, no bother.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CoolCab posted:

i wouldn't wish benzo detox on even jordan peterson. i certainly wouldn't wish Russian pseudoscientific insulin coma detox. good lord he's lucky to be breathing.

on the other hand he's been in the "mental illness/addiction is just weakness" camp for years so this news is really scratching my schadenfreude itch

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

CoolCab posted:

and yeah if you're rich and particularly if you're rich and international doctors will 100% prescribe you enough xanax that cessation will straight up kill you, no bother.

conveniently ignoring the power of jorb's meat-fed jungian stoicism there, "doctor" coolcab

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Every time I hear that story it gets even better lol.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

xtothez posted:

Javid resigns the day before the Sonic The Hedgehog movie comes out :thunk:

Maybe he didn't like the reviews?

I'm sorry

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Julio Cruz posted:

on the other hand he's been in the "mental illness/addiction is just weakness" camp for years so this news is really scratching my schadenfreude itch

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

conveniently ignoring the power of jorb's meat-fed jungian stoicism there, "doctor" coolcab

when i say i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy i am not kidding.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
As someone who's gone through benzo withdrawal multiple times getting put in a coma for withdrawal is dumb as gently caress since it doesn't diminish the seizure risk. If he had a seizure during the coma he's probably brain damaged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if it will make a difference to the quality of his lectures or literary output?

And if so, in which direction.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CoolCab posted:

when i say i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy i am not kidding.

I just think it's strange to have regard for someone's welfare when if the roles were reversed they'd have absolutely zero regard for yours

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Random question to the thread as you’re probably best placed to answer. I’ve got a load of old CDs and DVDs I want to get rid of. Music Magpie (etc) aren’t really offering much - probably not worth carting them down the post office for the amount I’ve been offered. Is there anywhere better I can take them other than the tip? I’m loathe to just chuck them away but the local library don’t want them, and I’m not sure if any of the charities are after this sort of stuff either. I’d be quite happy to donate them for free to anywhere that will use them!

Any ideas?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I definitely won't begrudge people for empathising especially not when I have no idea what it's like, but equally that personally means that I find mister "don't criticize the world until you have fixed yourself" melting his brain with benzos absolutely goddamn hilarious.

I_Socom posted:

Random question to the thread as you’re probably best placed to answer. I’ve got a load of old CDs and DVDs I want to get rid of. Music Magpie (etc) aren’t really offering much - probably not worth carting them down the post office for the amount I’ve been offered. Is there anywhere better I can take them other than the tip? I’m loathe to just chuck them away but the local library don’t want them, and I’m not sure if any of the charities are after this sort of stuff either. I’d be quite happy to donate them for free to anywhere that will use them!

Any ideas?

Charity shops will absolutely take them off you, they're one of the best things you can take a lot of the time because they take up very little space and are very saleable, and also you don't have to clean them first. The only thing they won't take is VHS tapes a lot of the time cos they're big and nobody buys them.

If you want to be nice make sure they're in the right boxes and not broken before you take them down.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 13, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I_Socom posted:

Any ideas?

Try charity shops. Alternatively, have a look in your local paper and see if anyone is buying job lots. We sold a handful of my dad's vinyl for £50 and none of it was the ones we thought the guy might be interested in. As I said to mother - one of those records was worth a LOT but we have no idea which one.

The rest are getting taken a few at a time to local charity shops.

Not cassettes though. Nowhere's interested in those. I've got nice 'boxed sets' of classic British comedy (Hancock etc). I've put them in the residents' lounge here where I live, I thought some of the (even older than me) old timers might be interested.

Also, don't forget that people you now perceive as elderly were teens/20s when punk rock, NWOBHM etc all kicked off. One old lady about 20 years older than me walking down the corridor a few days ago had a Queen tune as her phone ring tone so depending what you have got, you might be able to donate to old folks' homes!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 13, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Julio Cruz posted:

I just think it's strange to have regard for someone's welfare when if the roles were reversed they'd have absolutely zero regard for yours

Because having empathy for someone, even someone who would not do the same if the roles were reversed, is what makes you a good person.

It’s easy (if not intoxicating) to imagine that your enemies are so wicked, so undeserving of sympathy that you would be justified in inflicting violence upon them. And even putting aside the whole “an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind” way of thinking.

Just wishing violence upon your enemies puts you in the same dark (metaphorical) pit that they are likely stuck in. The hardest, but healthiest, thing is to just not hate them.

There is an Episode of How I Met Your Mother all about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I_Socom posted:

Any ideas?

I keep a collection of cheesy and/or bad movies on DVD. I mean like Flash Gordon or Ghost Shark, and I'm tempted by the Spice Girls Movie. If any of your DVDs fit that utter cheese/trash bill I'll pay to have them mailed here.