Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
give that idol to sandra, nat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

curiousCat posted:

give that idol to sandra, nat

hell yeah

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Ahh this is so good

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm a bit surprised how all the old school players just feel shocked at the new pace.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Really interesting to see Tyson and Kim on the bottom and scrambling like this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ambuh! We hardly knew ye

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm a bit surprised how all the old school players just feel shocked at the new pace.

I'm not. Olde seasons were way more about slow burns, they usually had like 3 or so days together to build camp and become a tribe before any tribal actions start going down. There was more "social experiment" type stuff going on.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 13, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What the gently caress CBS. How you going to go from Survivor Premiere to some dipshit murdering a sex worker.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I fuckin' loved all of that. I am so excited for the rest of this season.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm all for anything that makes Rob suffer, in game at least.

Khanstant posted:

Ambuh! We hardly knew ye

I'm not. Olde seasons were way more about slow burns, they usually had like 3 or so days together to build camp and become a tribe before any tribal actions start going down. There was more "social experiment" type stuff going on.

Ah back when more people would actually play instead of being "anyone but me" and when Idols didnt grow on trees. At least thats my rose colored glasses view of the early seasons.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sandra created "as long as it ain't me" in season 7.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wish it were next week already, that was a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Did I miss them showing the votes?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

that one guy posted:

Don't think they had the time, they went well past their time slot as it was.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I made my wife get out of the jacuzzi on vacation so I could watch this and I have no regrets.

Thoughts:

- INSANELY good premiere. Tension pretty much the entire two hours.
- Absolutely inspiring to watch Sandra roll up to a group of people who know how dangerous she is, talk 30 seconds of poo poo, and smirk in the corner when she instantly has the target fall off her back. Queen stays Queen!
- Shocked and thrilled to have the two of the least deserving people on this season gone back to back. Perfect boots for quality of TV.
- Thank god for Natalie gifting her idol for maximum tv entertainment.
- Denise, Kim, and Sandra are my three favorites and this was an absolute rollercoaster but I’m happy all of them seem to be playing hard and well.
- If this keeps up it will probably be the best season of all time??

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i think my biggest surprise is that rob is... still good at this? the part where he heard danni threw out his name and confronted her and somehow that conversation ended with 'let's work together'. and then he wasn't on the radar anymore. him and parvati are an interesting combo so maybe seeing him again won't be as bad as i thought.

was afraid for adam and denise. it sucks super hard that such a little thing like looking for the water well can become a reason to vote you out. glad they avoided that. and denise finally got to win a tribal immunity! i wish we had gotten a confessional from her about that, because i have to imagine no one was happier than she was.

good on yul for his ability to keep up, though hopefully he doesn't trip from trying too hard.

good premiere though. i hope it can keep it up and maybe survivor can wash away some of the grime of last season.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

JesusSinfulHands posted:

She literally played poker with Rob, Tyson, and Jeremy .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxsTkHDGc2Y

can't believe this video is a central storyline of this season of survivor

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

The premiere was a lot of fun. It's kind of amazing to watch Rob and Sandra just mind gently caress everyone on their tribes when they should both be the first to go. I think Yul has a real shot. He seemed to quickly grasp the situation and immediately build himself a strong alliance without anyone outside noticing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The premiere was so good, I'm so excited for the rest of this season.

Rob and Sandra being AT WAR like this has so much potential for great TV that you'd almost think it were scripted... :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's really weird after having watched AUS for two weeks how few character moments there were again. Michele was barely there, and Kim and Tyson only really appeared when they were in danger. I do think they tried to give everyone equal airtime though other than the standard camera hogs (Rob/Sandra/Parvati).

Also I can't believe Denise finally skipped a tribal council.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well I picked Natalie as my dark horse so I clearly don't know a drat thing. Sad to see her go so soon but glad it led to Sandra getting some safety. If she needs it.

I did also think Kim might struggle and I thought that really showed out. We saw hoe the legendary manipulators like Sandra, Rob, and Parv can so effortlessly play people, get them to spill poo poo, and move targets off themselves and to others. And then we saw Kim basically melt down at not being in the position of power. I was torn on if it was smarter to take her out or Amber. Amber obviously has the unbreakable relationship with Rob but Kim is theoretically a better player. But the way Kim handled that I imagine a lot of players weren't scared of her.

Of course the real answer is they should have taken out Tyson because he's a snake and will slither his way past a lot of other people self destructing.

Fun. I don't think anyone really annoyed me besides Ben and Adam (I forgot he whines a lot). Some players I thought might annoy me like Parv and Tyson immediately charmed me again. There's an interesting dynamic with players like Michelle who feel like they have to prove themselves and ones like Kim who feel like

And I loving love that Yul looks like he's adapting to "new school" real quick. I thought he would since he was a smart, strategic guy but its hard to know with how long its been and that super idol he had.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
A little irritating how so few people wanted to actually make a move in voting. Is this just a cast of floaters?

It will be interesting to see if Amber being at the Edge will help Rob.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Interesting take. She can be feeding him advantages, if he can figure out how to earn fire tokens.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spook posted:

A little irritating how so few people wanted to actually make a move in voting. Is this just a cast of floaters?

We saw basically everyone scrambling to some degree or another and forming alliances, so I don't think "floater" is fair for much of anyone (except maybe Ben, but he's just an idiot who got misted). Its just that as much as those individual game threats are we basically saw the two deepest, most obvious pairings in the game broken up in the first votes. Nothing strategically wrong with that. Adam/Denise probably would have been the "floater" "just vote out the first idiot who gives you an excuse" move.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tyson was scrambling just as much as Kim, though. It’s just that he was tipped off earlier so had more time to throw Kim and Amber under the bus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sure, but that's why Tyson's the biggest threat of that trio. Because his default is "So who do I have to sell out now?" and he scrambles so effectively. We've never thought Amber was much of a player (but to be fair, there's no talking your way out of her position) and Kim just kind of melted down (and basically admitted it was because she had never played from a position of vulnerability).

Its the usual edit thing where we'll never really know if they did as bad a job gaming until they were in the crosshairs. But the narrative and other players definitely told us that they just couldn't keep up with the pace of play. But Kim will have a chance to recover. And her rough showing early might actually help her and buy her some time if they decide she's not as scary as her rep.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
AWESOME episode - I really hate that Nat went out first though I do get why she was targeted. It's definitely harder to see votes go down when you like most of the cast.

Aerox posted:

- Shocked and thrilled to have the two of the least deserving people on this season gone back to back. Perfect boots for quality of TV.

I'm confused what world you're living in if you thought Natalie was one of the least deserving, since she played one of the best come-from-behind games of really anyone on the cast. Not sure how she's less deserving than like Michele, Ben, Sarah, Adam, or Nick.

STAC Goat posted:

And I loving love that Yul looks like he's adapting to "new school" real quick. I thought he would since he was a smart, strategic guy but its hard to know with how long its been and that super idol he had.

Yul impressed me a ton, and I was in no way ready for how prepared he was. I figured he'd be a fish out of water strategically, much like Ethan seems to be (though Ethan adapted very well IMO). Yul did the pre-game research enough to know about that poker quote that they showed, which shows that he prepared a ton for this. My concern with him was that he'd be so unplugged from Survivor that he wouldn't know what's going on or be able to navigate the relationships but he's looking to be in a power position!

Can't wait to see what else happens!

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I thought, due to how the timing of the filming happens, that contestants didn't know about the season one before theirs. I.e. these players shouldn't know about the Island of the Idols. But I swear I saw a non-Sandra/Rob player bring it up last night. Do we just assume Sandra or Rob mentioned it?

Also, lol that Rob told Sandra he would never play again the whole time they were together, although I'm not sure I see the strategy...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't remember any references to last season besides Rob/Sandra and maybe some "Extinction Island" stuff. But like, that could have just been twist hype or confusion/conflation with the other Survivor " get voted out and go to an Island to keep playing" gimmicks.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The concept of IoI, including R+S being there, was widely spoiled before this cast went to film.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Also it's been widely reported that from the beach where they were doing their pregame press, you could see the two idols across the water. I guess 2 tarps to cover them was too expensive now that they have a $2M prize.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh right, I do remember someone mentioning the huge statues. But yeah, I guess they could have just seen them. Or Rob and Sandra were probably all "guess what I've been doing the last month?"

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Gotcha. That all makes sense. Yeah, I think it was someone bringing up the statues.

I only started watching with Game Changers, so I am missing a lot of the lore and history, but even not knowing most of the people it felt very intense. I feel like I would probably like the pacing of the old seasons better but I'm still excited to see the rest of the season.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

that one guy posted:

According to this the 7-2-1 was
Denise: Michele, Natalie
Adam: Jeremy
Natalie: everyone else

then the 6-3-1 was
Amber: Nick
Kim: Sarah, Tony, Sophie
Amber: everyone else

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

... and Kim just kind of melted down (and basically admitted it was because she had never played from a position of vulnerability).

She's rightfully paying the price for that run to the title in "One World". What an abhorrent cast that was. She was never challenged and essentially just assumed a position of power since no one wanted it. She was playing against people who were told they were voting out and just sat back and accepted it. It's arguably the easiest cakewalk, up there with Rob's win. At least he's showing an ability to adapt (but has played more than anyone so it's not a huge credit).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For whatever you think of Rob's win (that remains the only season I never finished), he was already established as "one of the greatest players" before that.

I want to be clear, I don't think this necessarily takes anything from Kim's One World victory. It has always been and will always be a decisive and absolute domination over a cast of complete idiots, passive fools, and sycophants. Its been a long time and this season is probably the polar opposite of that experience. So like while I'm not super surprised that Kim was completely unprepared for this and tripped up hard I don't think that retroactively says anything. At least assuming you see Kim's win in the context of her season.

But I'm personally very curious to see if she can pick herself up and catch up the way Yul appears to have.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 13, 2020

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

You can't judge Kim as a survivor player for this unless you think "playing a poker tournament outside of the context of Survivor" is a bad Survivor move.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Long time lurker, first time poster.

That's the best episode I've seen in years.

Glad to see Denise skip a tribal for once; I'd like to see her, Yul, and, of course The Queen herself go far, but find myself really liking Ethan again even as he's still adapting to the game. Also really like how Parvati and Tyson have changed so much, are upfront about it... and then still remain really entertaining.

If the season keeps this up, it might tie HvV (although there's no Russell to destroy at the end... yet).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wanna say I really like Ethan too and even though he didn't do anything game wise to stand out I will be very angry/sad when he's inevitably voted out for being way too nice and likable and sympathetic and a huge jury threat.

curiousCat posted:

You can't judge Kim as a survivor player for this unless you think "playing a poker tournament outside of the context of Survivor" is a bad Survivor move.

We're into that nebulous "edit" area. Did this really all come down to a poker game a year ago? Did Kim, Tyson, and Amber behave in a way that made them look like an alliance? Did they do a good job with the rest of the cast or isolate themselves? The show and players gave the impression that the three of them were kind of obviously cliqued up. The three of them insist it was just a dumb poker game and they did nothing wrong. We don't really know the answer to taht and we probably never will since each player will have their own myopic perspective on how it went.

But like... I think we can probably mostly agree that some of Kim's behavior and arguments were just not winners. Although in Kim's specific case its at least possible that if she looked bad enough as a player she might have taken the target off her as an individual.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the point of the criticism against Kim isn't the poker game itself, but rather that she wasn't able to take control of the tribe upfront and then just shut down anyone that might have tried to use the poker game against her.

Like the way people were shutting Kim out of conversations in this ep really stands in contrast to Rob on the other tribe, who not only somehow got Ben to babble on about Danni throwing his name out there but got Danni to admit it and also seemingly recruited her onto his side somehow too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

A lot of that is the people they're with, though -- Ben and Danni are way likely to tell stuff than Sandra and Sarah. imo anyway