Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I'm totally fine with this outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aw boo. Don't really care for either.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Wish they had gone for the flight one, but ok. The blacksmith will do. No interest in Pooh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's an awesome build but I hate the shape of the base. It makes it either a standalone display piece or you're modding it to fit in with anything else.

It would be funny if the version lego ships has the same size as the modulars. Here's my diner, my restaurant, the ghostbusters firehouse oh and someone plopped an old medieval blacksmith on the corner there.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Do they have a pattern/timing to releasing new Train sets? It looks like they're still selling the Passenger and Cargo trains, and I'm feeling almost tempted to get one (despite probably not having any where to put it) but both sets are a few years old so I'm wondering if there'll be a new one soon.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Oxyclean posted:

Do they have a pattern/timing to releasing new Train sets? It looks like they're still selling the Passenger and Cargo trains, and I'm feeling almost tempted to get one (despite probably not having any where to put it) but both sets are a few years old so I'm wondering if there'll be a new one soon.

I don't think we'll see new trains until 2021 at the earliest. These last 2 released in 2018 and they seem to give them a few years (or more).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

xzzy posted:

It's an awesome build but I hate the shape of the base. It makes it either a standalone display piece or you're modding it to fit in with anything else.

It would be funny if the version lego ships has the same size as the modulars. Here's my diner, my restaurant, the ghostbusters firehouse oh and someone plopped an old medieval blacksmith on the corner there.

Isn't that basically the Old Fishing Store?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm surprised they did Blacksmith when they've done it before.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I love Winnie Pooh, but I hope they revamp it a bit, the tree canopy is a bit sparse and Tigger looks off. But I will buy this if the final product is good.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speaking of ideas sets, did anyone here get the Treehouse, and what did you think of it? I really wanted to buy it back in November, but seeing I had just bought a new TV (black Friday) I couldn't really justify it. Now that I've saved up some money again I could get it while it's still available, but for some reason I'm on the fence...

It seems like a fun build, a nice display piece and a good bit of playability for the kids I work with, but for some reason I'm not as excited as I was a couple of months ago.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's a boring build. And it gets bad at the end when you do the foliage.

However, it looks fantastic once it is complete.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I love the Treehouse. I don’t understand the critique of “boring build” that everyone has for it. It looks best with the green foliage though I wonder about some light pink and fuschia foliage to make it a big cherry blossom tree.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hopper posted:

I love Winnie Pooh, but I hope they revamp it a bit, the tree canopy is a bit sparse and Tigger looks off. But I will buy this if the final product is good.

They always modify the ideas sets to make them look better. Check out the original Saturn V ideas page, it looks pretty crappy compared to what we got.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Scipiotik posted:

AFOL fans.
Speaking of, it's a travesty that this thread isn't called Something AFOL.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Groetgaffel posted:

Speaking of, it's a travesty that this thread isn't called Something AFOL.

It was one upon a time.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I haven't updated the OP or title in the past ten years and I'm not about to start now. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mods gotta change the thread title anyways so assuming that's still true you're off the hook. :colbert:

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Something AFOL legothread : axel technical questions, greeble answer!

deoju posted:

Not to be a buzz kill, but there's gotta be "LEGO" in the title so it's not overlooked by people not hip to the vocabulary.

Fine.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2020

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Not to be a buzz kill, but there's gotta be "LEGO" in the title so it's not overlooked by people not hip to the vocabulary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lego: Toys for Babies

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

veni veni veni posted:

Lego: Toys for Babies

The Duplo thread

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In high school (nearly 15 years before I even started messing around with Lego again) my friend drew the duplo logo on a sticky note, wrote "I play with Duplo brand building blocks" on it and stuck it to my back. I walked around with it unknowingly for a good part of the day. I still have it in a book somewhere lol.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was digging through and old computer and found a picture of a totally sick lego bridge I built as a kid:

Funny thing is the pillars came from an actual highway construction set with road pieces so I already had something bridge like... I guess I just decided to do my own. Find it kind of funny how many winches I ended up with.

and an airfield

I was always kinda proud of that "B-17"

and I think I built this dragon for a school project; we had to read a book and do some sort of creative element to go with our report. I read The Hobbit and created a treasure box with various little doodads from the story and this lego dragon that was probably a very inaccurate rendition of Smaug:

(looks like I upgraded the bridge to have a helipad at that point.)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 13, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

My Lego backlog gets smaller and smaller. Built the Grand Prix Racer and the Endurance Race Car, as well as the Cobi 919.

Cool builds, allthough I assume the Grand Prix Racer has an error in the manual. It's a V8, it gives you eight hoses to build the exhaust manifold, but the manual only uses six of them (with a pretty obvious spot where to put the other two), but if you do that, you actually run out of a single black pin ;)

911 RSR and Mack Anthem next...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
turn it back to The Legos Thread, cowards

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I think this was probably inevitable. Lego is testing and teasing LED kits for their bigger sets.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-night-mode-light-kits/94842/

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
The aftermarket LED kits sell for a lot and do pretty well on Aliexpress.

I wonder if Lego will put out special bricks or pieces to achieve the same things that the aftermarket kits cut corners to accomplish. (double sided tape, hot glue, sandwiching wires under bricks, etc)
I'd much rather buy official light kits than aftermarket ones if the the price point is equivalent.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I would love those, but I don't know if I would pay for it. The article says 46€ for the Mustang Kit, and 86€ for the Diner.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

It would be nice if this causes competition and downward pricing pressure on the aftermarket sets. I'd love to illuminate my city, but at half the cost of the modular itself that hardly seems worth it unless it does some really cool stuff.

Unrelated. Just became aware that the Tyler guy on the Lego Masters is responsible for this: https://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/12/14/achieve-serenity-free-lego-building-instructions-outlaw-spaceship-tbb-instructions/

Which is a pretty nice small scale serenity.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 13, 2020

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This was nice of him.

https://twitter.com/jasonallemann/status/1227980626072043520?s=21

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://geekologie.com/2020/02/guy-builds-microtonal-guitar-out-of-lego.php

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

w00tazn posted:

The aftermarket LED kits sell for a lot and do pretty well on Aliexpress.

I wonder if Lego will put out special bricks or pieces to achieve the same things that the aftermarket kits cut corners to accomplish. (double sided tape, hot glue, sandwiching wires under bricks, etc)
I'd much rather buy official light kits than aftermarket ones if the the price point is equivalent.

It would be cool if they started making special versions of standard bricks with conductive studs on them, but I imagine that's cost prohibitive. But I figure it'll be similar to the power functions lights, with some new element designs around the lights themselves.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Scipiotik posted:

I think this was probably inevitable. Lego is testing and teasing LED kits for their bigger sets.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-night-mode-light-kits/94842/

Yeah, I remember thinking they’d go down this line about 6 months ago. The AliExpress ones will still be more popular for a while because of price and covering retired sets. I can’t see Lego themselves doing one for Ninjago City or the Ghostbusters Firehouse.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

xzzy posted:

It would be cool if they started making special versions of standard bricks with conductive studs on them, but I imagine that's cost prohibitive. But I figure it'll be similar to the power functions lights, with some new element designs around the lights themselves.

That's exactly what they did for the Light & Sound series back in the early 90s. I think they made 3-4 sets in the "theme"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

That's exactly what they did for the Light & Sound series back in the early 90s. I think they made 3-4 sets in the "theme"

I still have the engine assembly from the rocket they did from that series' last gasp in the late 90's. The engine firing sound freaks my cats out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xzzy posted:

So there’s this thing on Kickstarter that uses wireless power to light up bricks; I think that’s the future, at least for basic on/off lights.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I always worry about getting shocks off those.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

They've done it before with a limited selection of bricks during the Mindstorms era. I think the only ones were 2x2 and 2x4

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Nice of LEGO to (theoretically) bring the price point high enough that all the aftermarket 3rd party guys can still compete. If they can light a modular (or similar) in such a way that the floors still come apart and it's still playable, a la iBrix-style tech, I'll be overjoyed. Regardless, I'd probably buy the Mustang one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
The pictures of the back of the box make it seem like rebranded Light My Bricks which are just higher quality versions of the stuff Aliexpress sellers are selling now.

https://www.lightmybricks.com/products/lego-ford-mustang-gt-10265-light-kit

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 13, 2020