Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That mechanic has been pretty popular the entire time it's existed, I would argue that it's never too early to go back to it. Also fix your spoiler tag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

C-Euro posted:

That mechanic has been pretty popular the entire time it's existed, I would argue that it's never too early to go back to it. Also fix your spoiler tag!

What’s wrong with the tag? It looks fine on awful app.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Throwing Cycling around as a rider leads to more interactive games and there's plenty of interesting design space based on triggers when you cycle. I don't think it would be crazy to have it as a frequent or even evergreen mechanic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

What’s wrong with the tag? It looks fine on awful app.

Oh sorry that was directed at GoutPatrolOh he fixed it

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tainen posted:

Narset - 1WUR
+1 add W, U or R for non creature spells
-2 draw card, discard card, deal damage to creature or PW equal to discarded cards CMC
-6 emblem that does 2 damage to any target when you cast non creature spells
[4]

That starting loyalty to ultimate seems uhh quite scary

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
She doesnt really do anything else, in her case the whole design seems to be about doing a wacky proliferation thing/elderspell to ult her fast.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fatherboxx posted:

That starting loyalty to ultimate seems uhh quite scary

It looks alarming but unless the player is using proliferate their opponent will have 2 turns to knock her loyalty down before she can ult. She doesn't protect herself and get closer to ulting at the same time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If cycling is back, and there's a big-CMC-matters ability, I bet there's spells with high CMC but cycling triggers.

I really want to know what Mutate does.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Mutate will transmuting, but only creatures in play, and your mutate cost is also the CMC that you can mutate too, or maybe more likely minus 1 CMC.

So like a 1/1 that costs one but Mutates for 6 can become any 5-CMC creature in your deck.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Weren't there some rumblings about some kind of keyword counters?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There were one or two test cards from the Mystery Booster set that introduced the idea of keyword counters

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Mutate will transmuting, but only creatures in play, and your mutate cost is also the CMC that you can mutate too, or maybe more likely minus 1 CMC.

So like a 1/1 that costs one but Mutates for 6 can become any 5-CMC creature in your deck.

one set after the distinctive mechanic is "cast cards out of the graveyard," the next set's distinctive mechanic being "everything tutors" would rule

it's like they're playing all the hits. the next set will have free spells as a mechanic, the set after that brings back Storm

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

This is likely quite a bit more complicated than they would like at a mechanic that would probably be on commons on up. The amount of shuffling as well as the need of awareness of your deck as a toolbox has a lot more to it than they seem to be aiming for these days for new player accessibility. Combined with known aversion to anything but the most sparing tutor effects, prolly not gonna happen.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
If they are giving me cycling i demand astral drift be printed into standard and I will fight mark rosewater if he doesn’t comply

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 13, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Minusing to kill a creature while looting is pretty good for a 4cmc walker. She's in the wrong colours for the Reanimator decks that could be really excited about it though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

If they are giving me cycling i demand astral rift be printed into standard and I will fight mark rosewater if he doesn’t comply

think bigger, Astral Drift

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
I caught my typo before your post :mad:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I might be mistaken but didn’t they have to pick these Decklists like a while ago?

Deck submission was earlier this week, im pretty sure.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

fatherboxx posted:

Weren't there some rumblings about some kind of keyword counters?

Keyword counters could work well with cycling triggers. Think of a big CMC trampler with cycling that gives another creature a "trample counter" when it cycles.

It's been long enough since Amonkhet that they could have seen the success of putting punch-out counters in every pack and designed a set that leans on them more heavily.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Paul Zuvella posted:

The deck submission deadline for worlds was 2/5, Seth Manfield was lamenting on social media about having to submit decks for two different events on the same day (PT Phoenix and Worlds). Also is why some of the lists aren’t updated for the meta changes last weekend.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Paul Zuvella posted:

That’s something else I don’t get. Why do they force deck submissions so far in advance? They could literally let them build their decks in Arena 10 minutes before start.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Crackbone posted:

That’s something else I don’t get. Why do they force deck submissions so far in advance? They could literally let them build their decks in Arena 10 minutes before start.

The answer is obvious. Wot needs 10 days at least to furiously manually test every potential deck interaction beforehand so the event doesn't get derailed by something unexpected.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/187500231728/i-missed-the-announcement-of-the-sets-for-next

quote:

asked: I missed the announcement of the sets for next year. Could you also share the sentence or so we got about them or direct me to where I can see that info?

Zendikar Rising - We return to a Zendikar without Eldrazi and revisit the adventure world players fell in love with.

Thats interesting I guess.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Maybe a little emrakul planeswalker, as a treat

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From a flavor perspective, Zendikar is cooler with Eldrazi than without

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The answer is obvious. Wot needs 10 days at least to furiously manually test every potential deck interaction beforehand so the event doesn't get derailed by something unexpected.

I’m sure they do that, but also preparing the graphics for coverage and the web, preparing stuff for deck techs, making sure the coverage team is familiar with the decks / cards / etc. They also film some interviews with the players in advance where they’ll talk about their deck choice.

Early deck submittal also leads to stale / old meta games, kinda like the MPL weekly stuff that was always 1-2 weeks behind the paper / online meta because everything was filmed well before it was aired

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

The Clowner posted:

From a flavor perspective, Zendikar is cooler with Eldrazi than without

I think it's cooler with ancient Eldrazi ruins and poo poo, but it doesn't need giant cosmic monsters to be front and center.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean, there is some interesting poo poo you can do with a post eldrazi world. Like, a plane that was brought to the brink of complete annihilation and then forced to rebuild can be an interesting setting. Its kind of the reason why Im excited for our next trip to Ravnica.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Eldrazi really weren’t front and center in Zendikar or Worldwake, Allies and lands, especially manlands were front and center, and it wasn’t until RoE they made an impact, and that set was completely disconnected as a draft format.

I’m kind of bummed we won’t have landfall and fetches come back because I can’t see them including fetches/shocks in standard, which is too bad because as someone who never has to shuffle a physical deck, they’re both great.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Print fetches, ban that rear end immediately in Pioneer.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

fadam posted:

Arent they already banned?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

fadam posted:

This is it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bugsy posted:

Arent they already banned?

The allied ones are. Not the enemy ones because they're not in a Pioneer-legal set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Walking ballista is more expensive than polluted delta. You folks who hate fetches are loving weird.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
MaRo has confirmed multiple times new Zendikar won’t have fetches.

Zendikar was always the worst and most boring plane, the Eldrazi are the worst cards in the game, so maybe new Zendikar can be fun and have expeditions and cool vampire tribal stuff

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Star Man posted:

The allied ones are. Not the enemy ones because they're not in a Pioneer-legal set.

Yeah just saw that and had forgotten that enemy fetches were only printed in zen and a masters set.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Seems like a bad business decision to print a set where you immediately have to ban multiple rares in said set in at least one format, but I also don't know to what extent Pioneer has driven recent pack sales.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Sickening posted:

Walking ballista is more expensive than polluted delta. You folks who hate fetches are loving weird.

I don't hate fetches so much as I hate the constant shuffling they lead to. Of course if it's a digital version of Magic I could care less. I think my other objection to fetch lands is how loving expensive and rare they are compared to how mundane their effect is. Mana fixing is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Eldrazi were so loving oversaturated and the idea of doing them, or even just Zendikar again, when your last reference to New Phyrexia is an email from Eslpeth to Koth that just has multiple praetors dying as a footnote is astounding.