Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm not asking out of ignorance, but because I genuinely don't watch subtitled films a lot - but instead of remaking this for American audiences, wouldn't dubbing it into English be easier? Or is dubbing frowned upon these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

MorrisBae posted:

I'm not asking out of ignorance, but because I genuinely don't watch subtitled films a lot - but instead of remaking this for American audiences, wouldn't dubbing it into English be easier? Or is dubbing frowned upon these days?

Dubbing is very frowned upon. Much due in part to the actors no longer being the actors.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MorrisBae posted:

Just watch with subs.

https://twitter.com/thewrap/status/1213998533889556480?lang=en

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MorrisBae posted:

Some countries do do dubbing, Germany being the first example that comes to mind. Dubbing vs subbing seems to be a cultural thing for the most part, aside from subtitles being much cheaper than hiring voice actors.

Dubbing also just tends to feel cheap vs a remake with native speakers, so that will turn people off. Also with a remake you get a chance to cast more well known actors and theoretically get more viewers that way.

For example if you were releasing the original Force Majeure in America nationwide, you have to figure out how to market the movie to people who don't normally watch foreign films and wouldn't know the actors or crew. When they remade Force Majeure for American audiences they can plaster the advertising with Will Ferrell and Julia Louis Dreyfuss. Now they have to pay a much bigger rate to get those two stars and then remake an entire movie, but the line of thought is that doing that will get a wider audience and make up the money anyway, which the studio's don't think is possible with the original Swedish production.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

MorrisBae posted:

Beaten, but subtitles are a one inch barrier

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The fact that the film has made over $30,000,000 in the US box office despite being subtitled is heart warming.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, how did the previous home keeper not notice that the shelf couldn't move because there was something under it? Who put that under the shelf?

I think it's meant to convey the urgency. She fears he's in danger since she no longer lives there and can't feed him, etc. She's in a hurry to move the shelf, so much so that she doesn't have the time to look around the room.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't get why people keep saying the poor family scammed the rich family. They are performing the jobs they were hired for! Completely!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't get why people keep saying the poor family scammed the rich family. They are performing the jobs they were hired for! Completely!

People who lie about their credentials are generally regarded as scammers even if they do a competent job. Besides, there clearly wasn't a lot of tutoring or art lessons going on, even if the mom barely gave a poo poo what was going on beyond having sitters for her kids anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Credentialism is bullshit though as the Kims make clear.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The magic of it is that they were bad at the jobs that the Parks said they wanted, and good at the jobs the Parks actually wanted

Kiwoo gives bad tutoring advice but gives advice that sounds cool and makes him seem cool. Min was not a good tutor either, but he gave an aura of being cool and confident, and the mom said that she wanted Kiwoo to be up to “Min’s level”

Kijung doesn’t do any art therapy. But, she keeps the son out of the mom’s hair, so she’s a glorified babysitter. One funny detail was that Jessica makes it clear that her services are not tutoring and that she is doing therapy, and therefore she need to get paid a lot of money. The mom nods, but it goes in one ear and out the other and 10 seconds later when the dad comes home she introduces Jessica is the art teacher instead of the therapist.

Mr. Kim is actually bad as a chauffeur because he keeps taking Jose off the road to talk to the parks. But Mr. Park is OK with it because Mr. Kim knows how to kiss his butt and make him feel like a good husband by letting him talk to Mrs. Park about the care

The mom, well I can’t think of any example of the mom being a bad house babe other than the mess they made when they got drunk

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 13, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Kijung doesn’t do any art therapy. But, she keeps the son out of the mom’s hair, so she’s a glorified babysitter. One funny detail was that Jessica makes it clear that her services are not tutoring and that she is doing therapy, and therefore she need to get paid a lot of money. The mom nods, but it goes in one ear and out the other and 10 seconds later when the dad comes home she introduces Jessica is the art teacher instead of the therapist.

I think that's as much about Mrs. Park not wanting her husband to know there are any problems in the home as anything.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I'd argue that parasite is completely a left-wing movie, and I'd also say that the theme is not "capitalism hurts everyone." The Parks absolutely are the Bad Guys of the movie, but it's not because they're individually evil people, in the same way that the Kims aren't protagonists because of their inherent pure innocence. The whole message is that the rich profit while the poor fight for scraps, regardless of whatever anyone's inherent morality is, and indeed applying morality to a sociological system like capitalism is inevitably misleading. The Parks are despicable because they more than anyone else have the power to effectuate change, but they don't, because they like reaping the benefits of power and privilege and are perfectly content to remain blind to everyone else's suffering. The Kims are complicit in propagating the system too, but unlike the Parks a single natural disaster leaves them homeless and destitute, which makes their perspective much more sympathetic. And Geun-se, the only character who attempts multiple premeditated murders, is also the most tragic and disadvantaged of them all.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

saying this movie fails as a critique of capitalism is like saying a movie that critiques sexism failed because "one of the characters talked about how misogyny hurts men too"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well looks like Criterion picked up Parasite and Memories of Murder

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sinteres posted:

I think that's as much about Mrs. Park not wanting her husband to know there are any problems in the home as anything.

Yeah, I thought this was a purposeful deflection, that it'd be shameful to admit their son needs therapy, but an "art teacher" supports the "child genius" narrative she prefers.

youcallthatatwist posted:

The Kims are complicit in propagating the system too, but unlike the Parks a single natural disaster leaves them homeless and destitute

This was the aspect of the film I liked the most. The Kims are victims of class inequality, but aren't all that self-aware about it and are still invested in capitalism out of sheer misguided self-interest. They'd rather fight Moon-gwang and her husband for leftovers, because ultimately they don't want to dismantle capitalism. All they want is to succeed within it, and accept it as a zero-sum game as long as they happen to prosper.

In an American context, I'd say this pretty well explains working-class Trump voters. The term I've heard is "temporarily embarrassed millionaires," working poor who vote against their own interest because somehow, someday they'll be on top. They fully accept that SOMEONE is going to be on the bottom, but this is fine (or even preferable) as long as it's not them. "gently caress you, got mine." It's the collective result of a lifetime of aspirational wealth as seen in media, and the repeated institutional lie that upward mobility is possible with enough hard work or positive thinking.

Parasite is brilliant because it doesn't turn the Kims into, like, characters from Les Mis. They don't act like poor street urchins, and they seem like they have economic agency...but in actuality they don't. They aren't aware of the extent of their powerlessness until the end. Really, Ki-woo never learns, and that's kind of the biggest tragedy of all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LMAO

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I thought this was a purposeful deflection, that it'd be shameful to admit their son needs therapy, but an "art teacher" supports the "child genius" narrative she prefers.

Fuuuuuck. This reminds me, I knew a Korean family whose kid had autisim but they were in denial about it and never got the kid the developmental help they needed despite the dad being a medical doctor

This was three decades ago, who knows if attitudes about autism got any better like they did in the US recently

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

From what I've been told, mental health is an even bigger taboo topic in Asia than it is in America and Europe.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Steve Yun posted:

Fuuuuuck. This reminds me, I knew a Korean family whose kid had autisim but they were in denial about it and never got the kid the developmental help they needed despite the dad being a medical doctor

This was three decades ago, who knows if attitudes about autism got any better like they did in the US recently

Ugh, that sucks. Up until recently, I had a job working w/ autistic kids and starting as early as possible is so important, I have a more knee-jerk reaction to parents or people who are obtuse or purposefully ignorant about it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Looks like it's going to be a remake. Tilda Swinton is cast as the female lead in HBO Parasite

I guess it makes more sense to do it this way, expanded story stuff needs to be attached to the main story, it would be a little weird to have an HBO series that's just side stories to a main story that's distributed somewhere else.

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/02/13/tilda-swinton-parasite/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 14, 2020

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Doctor Reynolds posted:

No that’s dumb. “Kevin” is a useless tutor who just blows smoke up Ms. Park’s rear end. “Jessica” does nothing while charging for “art therapy,” even though she knows nothing’s about art, and there’s an entire scene about how Mr. Kim is a lovely driver. The Kims are bad and saying they aren’t is a hilarious galaxy brain take.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That kid does not need art therapy he just needs someone to pay attention and do stuff with him for five minutes, and Mrs Park straight up says she doesn’t care about her daughters grades she only cares about having a prestigious tutor

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Kims are bad tho for sure, but they’re also stuck trying to claw their way up in an utterly broken system, the daughter lying about art is like the least of their crimes by far

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

The Kims are bad tho for sure, but they’re also stuck trying to claw their way up in an utterly broken system, the daughter lying about art is like the least of their crimes by far

Depends on what you mean by lying about art. Pretending to have knowledge about it that she can use to help encourage the kid's talent is one thing, but convincing a mother her kid's mentally ill and needs help in order to squeeze more money from her is pretty hosed up. I think that would have come off as more monstrous if it hadn't been in the lighthearted caper half of the movie.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Love 2 poison domestic workers to smash the state!

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

In all seriousness though Parasite actually is a pretty left-wing film. It’s just a smarter left wing film than “the virtuous poors outsmart the dumb riches take 5000.”

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It has a left wing analysis but none of the characters themselves are leftists and in fact the whole deal is that their circumstances means that they'll never develop class consciousness and instead just keep on hustling.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sorry to Bother You is the best left wing movie.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Steve Yun posted:

Looks like it's going to be a remake. Tilda Swinton is cast as the female lead in HBO Parasite

I guess it makes more sense to do it this way, expanded story stuff needs to be attached to the main story, it would be a little weird to have an HBO series that's just side stories to a main story that's distributed somewhere else.

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/02/13/tilda-swinton-parasite/

That kind of seems okay news, Bong Joon Ho's worked with Tilda Swinton before in two of his movies right? I know that working with the same actors isn't indicative of future quality (looking at you Tim Burton), but he seems to know when he's doing good work with actors so he has them on for multiple movies like Song Hang Ko.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

Snowpiercer is the best left wing movie.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My take was the most absurd, insane, evil plan a poor family can pull off is to live like the wealthy for a few weeks, the rich are just scum.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A bit late but drat I feel like every time I see Malcolm Gladwell mentioned these days it's like "hello I am (expert in thing that Malcolm Gladwell has had an opinion on) here to tell you how wrong he is, here is my proof" and it's pretty amusing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I shoulda known better than to cite that airplane thing when I’d already read about problems with his other articles

I got fooled into it because it sounded like it fit in with everything else I know about regimented korean social hierarchy from growing up

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 14, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Decided to start watching The Housemaid on YouTube. Everyone sounds funny, as if it’s the Korean equivalent of the Mid-Atlantic accent

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Should the remake portray the Kims with all-black (or all-hispanic) actors and the Parks with all-white actors, or is that too heavy-handed

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Latinos who pass for white

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Steve Yun posted:

Latinos who pass for white

George Clooney as Mr. Park
Tilda Swinton as Mrs. Park

Andy Garcia as Mr. Kim
? as Mrs. Kim

Would they still go with the Park son being obsessed with Indians, or would they make him obsessed with hip-hop culture or something

"Mr. Kim - put this blackface on with your baggy pants and get ready to rap"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Housemaid is pretty amazing. It totally stands up to 50’d scandal movies like Double Indemnity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MorrisBae posted:

Should the remake portray the Kims with all-black (or all-hispanic) actors and the Parks with all-white actors, or is that too heavy-handed

Do you think that the Kims equivalent all being from the same minority group would make the deception more obvious and the Parks' not catching on more unbelievable? I guess they could be a mixed family, not sure if that would help.

MorrisBae posted:

Would they still go with the Park son being obsessed with Indians, or would they make him obsessed with hip-hop culture or something

"Mr. Kim - put this blackface on with your baggy pants and get ready to rap"

Sorry To Bother You sort of already did that one tho.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 14, 2020