Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
very excited to be dealing with liquids in 3 dimensions. please let me build an archimedes screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Back again. For some reason (and I've gotten past this in the other updates) I can't connect power to a second constructor. I used the fast start, have power to two smelters and another constructor but when I got to add the second constructor it won't accept it. The power lines and poles are fine. Any ideas?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Are you trying to connect it to the same pole that you have the two smelters and constructor on?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Back again. For some reason (and I've gotten past this in the other updates) I can't connect power to a second constructor. I used the fast start, have power to two smelters and another constructor but when I got to add the second constructor it won't accept it. The power lines and poles are fine. Any ideas?
Are you sure the pole is fine? It doesn't say 4/4 when you try to run a wire from it or anything?

You can only have four connections to a pole, so a power connection and three machines, or more likely two power connections and two machines if you want to keep slapping more power poles in there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Astroniomix posted:

Are you trying to connect it to the same pole that you have the two smelters and constructor on?

That's the picture. I added the extra pole in case blocking was the problem but that didn't help.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Eiba posted:

Are you sure the pole is fine? It doesn't say 4/4 when you try to run a wire from it or anything?

You can only have four connections to a pole, so a power connection and three machines, or more likely two power connections and two machines if you want to keep slapping more power poles in there.

Says 2/4

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Is it the constructor in the back? Because it looks like it's already connected to something and production buildings can't have more than one connection.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Are you clicking with the wire tool on one of the poles that already has 2 wires coming out of it and then dragging the wire to the constructor and clicking again? You can drag multiple wires out of the same power poll.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Astroniomix posted:

Is it the constructor in the back? Because it looks like it's already connected to something and production buildings can't have more than one connection.

I know the picture is tough, did the best I could. No, it's the constructor in the front. The one in the back is working fine.

Thanks!

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Mayveena posted:

I know the picture is tough, did the best I could. No, it's the constructor in the front. The one in the back is working fine.

Thanks!

I think the problem you're running into is that the power poles that you're thinking are connected to the HUB are actually connected to the individual biomass generators in the HUB, and you only have one generator munching biomass at the moment.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Eminai posted:

I think the problem you're running into is that the power poles that you're thinking are connected to the HUB are actually connected to the individual biomass generators in the HUB, and you only have one generator munching biomass at the moment.

Yep! That was it!!!! Thanks so much, I added biomass to the other generator and it's all working now.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

That picture makes it look like both constructors are connected to poles, what exactly do you mean by "won't accept"? Is it attaching the cable but not drawing power or is it drawing power but not doing anything? If it's the second one you might have forgotten to set a recipe. IIRC a red light means either the power grid the machine is tied to is down or that it has power but no recipe set.

E: someone else fixed it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, hey, nice! Looks like the minor hotpatch they released today fixed whatever required you to manually restart all your production on existing saves. I logged in today and all the stuff I hadn't fixed yet was running again. Now I just need to figure out what recipes changed (for example, my circuit board production is kaput because the wire + rubber recipe seems to be gone) and I'll be back in business.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

nielsm posted:

Just find the right coal nodes.
This is supplied by 4 normal nodes, and I could probably run another four plants off those. And that's just served by Mk1 miners.
(A coal plant at capacity burns one coal in 4 seconds, i.e. 15 coal/min.)

I realized the most sensible way to fill a pipe with water is just 3 water pumps underclocked to 100 m3/min each. At least if you're conscious of power use. A single pump overclocked by 250% would also do it, of course.

Pretty sure that's the exact spot I used haha.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seems like people are taking their time updating the wiki and such. Trying to figure my way around the new plastics / rubber / gas setup.

- So producing either plastic or rubber makes a byproduct that can be turned into fuel. Likewise, making fuel produces a byproduct that can be used to make plastic or rubber.
- You can't just let the byproduct build up, or it'll eventually cause your production to shut down. So rather than having one oil well dedicated to just power production and another oil well dedicated to manufacturing, you are better off having both wells do both.
- It seems like the ratio of oil wells to gas generators it can power has changed. Before, I think it was like 12 generators from one pure oil well. Now you can produce 120 units/min of gas, and each generator only seems to use about 3 units/min or something. So like 40 generators to max out a well. Again, probably easier to just run your power generators off of manufacturing byproducts.
- Running your gas generators off byproducts is a little bit of a risk, because if your plastic and rubber production stops, it means your gas generators will eventually turn off, but I suppose in that scenario, that power requirements would be lower, too, so that's not the end of the world.
- I keep forgetting that now we have a resource sink building, so hypothetically any byproduct you don't care about could be dumped in there, I suppose.
- I need to figure out the best way to transport stuff around. Previously I was bringing all my oil to my main base and then processing it there, but this seems like a much larger hassle with the new setup.

Question: Does anyone know the capacity of the freight cars for liquid? I thought I saw someone say they hold way less than containerized liquids, but I haven't checked for myself yet.

It's also worth keeping in mind that these byproducts may be useful somewhere else in the chain that we haven't seen yet. I see you need to get sulfur to your nuclear site as well as water, for example. And while I haven't investigated it yet, it seems like aluminium production has changed, too?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Items should fall off the end of conveyor belts so that I can simply dump waste products and depleted uranium off the edge of the world, into the abyss.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
If I start a game in Experimental will I be able to transfer it to Mainline once this update is officially released?

Edit: Nevermind. It looks like both use the same directory.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 14, 2020

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Wrr posted:

Items should fall off the end of conveyor belts so that I can simply dump waste products and depleted uranium off the edge of the world, into the abyss.

Can you dump that stuff into the ticket machine?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hamelekim posted:

Can you dump that stuff into the ticket machine?

Probably not. There's a bunch of items you can't send into it. Things I've tried that failed:
Portable Miners
Nobelisks
SAM ore

They just stop on the belt just before entering the crusher, blocking everything behind.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

nielsm posted:

Probably not. There's a bunch of items you can't send into it. Things I've tried that failed:
Portable Miners
Nobelisks
SAM ore

They just stop on the belt just before entering the crusher, blocking everything behind.

They need to let you know what it doesn't take.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
You should try recycling a ticket. Trust me.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Can we feed nuclear waste to the ticket-printing machine?

I’ve been getting good results by feeding my Quartz and Silica into the printer, once they had filled up a storage can each, but so far I’ve only purchased the go-kart, which is great and hilarious and light enough that the seams between foundation blocks cause it to bounce around and wander off of a straight path if you’re just holding W.

Transit tube advice time: hooooooly poo poo are these great. It takes 1:22 by tube to get from my steelworks to the HUB/Space Elevator initial installation, and :56 to get from the HUB to the coastal power plant.

BUT! While those applications are great, tubes also offer an easy, safe, and fast way to get to the top or bottom of any obstacle or terrain feature, as long as you have been stringing power lines along with yourself. Any big rock or bluff that you can toss power poles and conveyors onto in order to keep the ground level clear for eventual trucks, you can with a few more clicks stand atop yourself for much finer placement; any wreckage, appealing berry patch, or resource node you can see, you can make it to and back without jumping puzzles or falling risk. loving. Phenomenal.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tube tip: If you need a tube entrance in the middle of nowhere, where you don't have your power grid extended to, just build a biofuel generator and hook up to the entrance. You only need to power the hypertube entrance while you jump into it, so you can just feed a few leaves into the generator when you need to take the tube back.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
It's probably a good idea to have a separate steady power source for things like transportation.

I've done that with my base, at least to start, so I have water and fuel for my generators being powered and fed by a separate system. So any power spikes won't kill everything and I can get around to get things fixed and so on.

Just colour those power poles differently so you don't end up connecting the two systems.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I have three power networks in my setup.

Firstly, I have the Feeder Grid. Power plants that run the miners/pumps that produce water, coal, and fuel. This system is entirely self-contained, so the resources that it produces also produce the power that keeps itself going. It also powers the miners and pumps that fuel the generators for the Base Grid. Because it isn't tied into the Base Grid and it produces more power than it uses, it cannot shut down.

Second, I have the Base Grid. Power plants that produce the main power for my system and run everything. The resources that are consumed by the Base Grid are supplied by the Feeder Grid. If the demand on the Base Grid gets too high, it can shut down. But when it shuts down, I connect the Backup Grid.

Lastly, I have a Backup Grid. The Backup Grid is an array of Biomass Burners that are filled up and not connected to anything. In the event of a power failure in the Base Grid, I connect the Backup Grid to it and throw the switch. The Backup Grid keeps my production online while I go and add more power to the Base Grid. Once a sufficient amount of power has been added, the Backup Grid is disconnected and refilled so it's ready to be used again.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm usually pretty on top of these things but it never occurred to me that buildings connected logistically don't have to be connected electrically. I could dedicate one coal plant to running the miners and pumps and the rest to actual base power...

On the other hand I'm not sure that redundancy is really necessary? Once the coal plant is set up, if it's disrupted, there's still coal on the belts and water in the pipes so once I've resolved whatever tripped the fuse it can go right back into operation. This isn't like Factorio where you need power to load the resources into the burners, at least as long as you have a water tank at the highest point of your pipe network.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Tenebrais posted:

I'm usually pretty on top of these things but it never occurred to me that buildings connected logistically don't have to be connected electrically. I could dedicate one coal plant to running the miners and pumps and the rest to actual base power...

On the other hand I'm not sure that redundancy is really necessary? Once the coal plant is set up, if it's disrupted, there's still coal on the belts and water in the pipes so once I've resolved whatever tripped the fuse it can go right back into operation. This isn't like Factorio where you need power to load the resources into the burners, at least as long as you have a water tank at the highest point of your pipe network.

It would depend on how large your buffer is. But it would also mean you never have to worry about it, and organizationally it is kind of nice.

Why not engineer the poo poo out of it? I mean that's what these sort of games are about.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Seems like people are taking their time updating the wiki and such. Trying to figure my way around the new plastics / rubber / gas setup.

- So producing either plastic or rubber makes a byproduct that can be turned into fuel. Likewise, making fuel produces a byproduct that can be used to make plastic or rubber.
- You can't just let the byproduct build up, or it'll eventually cause your production to shut down. So rather than having one oil well dedicated to just power production and another oil well dedicated to manufacturing, you are better off having both wells do both.
- It seems like the ratio of oil wells to gas generators it can power has changed. Before, I think it was like 12 generators from one pure oil well. Now you can produce 120 units/min of gas, and each generator only seems to use about 3 units/min or something. So like 40 generators to max out a well. Again, probably easier to just run your power generators off of manufacturing byproducts.
- Running your gas generators off byproducts is a little bit of a risk, because if your plastic and rubber production stops, it means your gas generators will eventually turn off, but I suppose in that scenario, that power requirements would be lower, too, so that's not the end of the world.
- I keep forgetting that now we have a resource sink building, so hypothetically any byproduct you don't care about could be dumped in there, I suppose.
- I need to figure out the best way to transport stuff around. Previously I was bringing all my oil to my main base and then processing it there, but this seems like a much larger hassle with the new setup.

Question: Does anyone know the capacity of the freight cars for liquid? I thought I saw someone say they hold way less than containerized liquids, but I haven't checked for myself yet.

It's also worth keeping in mind that these byproducts may be useful somewhere else in the chain that we haven't seen yet. I see you need to get sulfur to your nuclear site as well as water, for example. And while I haven't investigated it yet, it seems like aluminium production has changed, too?

I don't think your generator consumption is right, fuel usage seems about the same as or slightly higher than before ignoring the by-product chain. I don't have an actual test-setup but my newly restarted factory gets about 300 -400MW of power for maybe ~70-80 crude per minute. All resins getting mulched and I don't have plastic or rubber set up yet, so this is a wasteful low-efficiency setup.
I think you can do priority splitting with smart-splitters which is my plan for handling the by-products. Plastic and rubber get mulched if the output is backed up, which means I always have heavy oil residue flowing for pretroluem coke and I always have resin being used to avoid blocking fuel production. If the petroleum coke gets backed up that also gets munched.

Aluminium also uses oil products now, petroleum coke from the direct rubber/plastic production.

Secondhand info since I can't unlock it on my old save, but the fluidcar apparently only has 50m^3 of storage which runs a couple of fuel generators for a minute. Trains were how I shipped my crude and fuel previously since I have no oil nodes at all near my main base, but that all gets piped through long pipelines now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The factor which changed is the water requirement for the first fully-automated power option. You need megawatts to extract the water and the coal plants won’t kick on until they have it, so for that first hit of sweet dihydrogen monoxide, you need power other than the coal array.

A second, separate power grid which runs just fuel and water acquisition will absolutely work, but having backup burners just to spin the water extractors until their Coal plants are full is a lot less work to set up and won’t result in my logging in after a weekend of work and connecting the wrong poles, leaving me with no actual contingency, at the expense of requiring one to travel to the power plant, break the extractors away from the network, connect them to the backups, and then reconnect the water once the main grid is burning again.

Also, now that I’ve worked out a solid basic water supply protocol for coal power, I ought never to have that particular problem again; so long as I’m not pushing my grid to the edge of capacity at all times I am golden, and if I see that happening the remedy is to go double power again (up to 32 coal generators, surely I don’t need more than 1800 MW to get petro power up and running!)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Domattee posted:

I don't think your generator consumption is right, fuel usage seems about the same as or slightly higher than before ignoring the by-product chain.

Here's my math:

One oil pump produces 240 m^3/min of oil.

Four refineries can process 240 m^3/min (60 each) of crude oil into 80 m^3/min (20 each) of liquid fuel.

The fuel generators don't actually say how much liquid fuel they use, but if you look at a pipe leading into one, the flow rate seems to be incredibly low, like 2 m^3/min to produce 150 MW.

So by that low-ball, if you dedicated a single oil pump to nothing but power, you could get something like 40 gas generators running off it, for 6000 MW of power. And you could dump all the byproducts into trash compactor for unlimited tickets.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the game worth giving a try now? I always was interested but there was a bit of grumbling that convinced me to wait.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the game worth giving a try now? I always was interested but there was a bit of grumbling that convinced me to wait.

Let me put it this way: There are Futurama-style people tubes now and it's AMAZING I love them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The expanded ramps item is probably the most useful thing in the coupon shop. A foundation that you can point straight to slugs that ascends and self-extends without futzing with anything underneath. For some reason cheaper than a horizontal foundation too.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Here's my math:

One oil pump produces 240 m^3/min of oil.

Four refineries can process 240 m^3/min (60 each) of crude oil into 80 m^3/min (20 each) of liquid fuel.

The fuel generators don't actually say how much liquid fuel they use, but if you look at a pipe leading into one, the flow rate seems to be incredibly low, like 2 m^3/min to produce 150 MW.

So by that low-ball, if you dedicated a single oil pump to nothing but power, you could get something like 40 gas generators running off it, for 6000 MW of power. And you could dump all the byproducts into trash compactor for unlimited tickets.

Are we on different hotfixes? It's 40 fuel for 60 crude and my generators have maybe 2m^3 fuel per minute while at 15-20% load, so 15ish fuel per minute at full.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I was having a lot of issues with the new liquid byproducts before I realized that all you need to do is pump that poo poo straight into the shredder that makes the tickets.

Aside from aluminum, it seems like trying to reprocess byproducts isn't worth just setting up another refinery for the pure versions.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Stayed up too late last night because I found crude oil very close to my giant stupid skyway’s line of travel, but two-and-change max-size conveyor lifts beneath it on the ground. Three hours later I’ve got a Foundation block stack leading one lift height up, then with a step and another set of lifts, to a comparatively small ramp which leads up to the skyway. The HUB -> Steelworks hypertube route now has a break in it next to the storage cans for oil products, which are fed by the lifts. Two extra sets of hyper tubes lead down to the oil production floor on one side and to a side platform which I used to get the right perspective for building the Foundation stacks, which itself also has a tube link to the oil floor and one to a small platform at the same elevation as the conveyor stairstep, for ease of installing future lifts.

There’s only one oil extractor, one refinery each for canning plastic and rubber, and another two refineries for processing the byproducts into petrofuel, but there are three more unused oil deposits and I had to be at work at 6am.

It’s hard to overstate how easy and convenient the tubes made putting together this worksite with its incredible amount of verticality. When I need to quadruple crude production to support Computer manufacturing and/or establish gas power, everything I need to get around is already there and the space for all of that poo poo is already mentally blocked out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is aliens respawning a new thing? I remember they didnt used to. Made things rough until I could research medical inhalers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Speedball posted:

Is aliens respawning a new thing? I remember they didnt used to. Made things rough until I could research medical inhalers.

They've always respawned in areas you haven't built in, but it seems they've turned the sensitivity down so you need more active machinery in an area for them to disappear.

Previously I could plop down a miner on a resource node from 50 meters away, leave it unpowered, run away and do something else, and when I came back all wildlife nearby was just gone. That doesn't work any longer.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

nielsm posted:

They've always respawned in areas you haven't built in, but it seems they've turned the sensitivity down so you need more active machinery in an area for them to disappear.

Previously I could plop down a miner on a resource node from 50 meters away, leave it unpowered, run away and do something else, and when I came back all wildlife nearby was just gone. That doesn't work any longer.

I’ve got plasma dogs and gently caress-off pigs running at me out of foliage 10m away from miners and their conveyor setups, at this point. Before my tubes and skyway went up, I had to fight my way through the guards at my quartz patch, then AT LEAST two more packs of pigs and one of dogs just to get out to work on my steelworks and its raw material feeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a trick to reverse the direction of a conveyor lift? I'm building a 2nd floor on my factory and feeding stuff down but it's a shitton harder to figure out a way to start the conveyor and build down instead of start on the bottom and build up in a lot of cases.