Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's something to be said for the "buy a thing that already does what I need" approach, especially if you need to print ABS or nylon. The iffy extruder, closed source board, limited build volume and spool holder weirdness are a bit deal breaky the more I look at it tho

100%, I can see that. It's how I feel about a lot of things. The issue with the stance for 3d Printers, though, is there's still a ton of fuckery needed for the slicer profile and the machines themselves, at least at a consumer level. There is no way to just grab something off the shelf and have it pop out good prints. It's still basically a hobby, and requires hobby-ist tinkering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It looks like Thingiverse has had an overhaul, new layout etc. Can't really tell though because IT WON'T LOAD.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Oh god it's so ugly, and they somehow found shittier wetter cardboard to use for servers

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I had a bunch of tabs open so it's easy to see the before and after. I appreciate the new domain they added, buysellads.net:
before:

after (content won't load):

Oh, I'm using Dark Reader so the colors may be a little different.

edit: welp

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 14, 2020

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

My favorite part is how I can't middle-click to open an individual thing's page in a new tab anymore. Because reloading the entire listing (successfully 1 out of 25 times) is way better than just being able to leave it in its own tab.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Wow, I tried printing in the Elegoo Clear Blue ABS-Like resin and it's really amazing how different it is from the ceramic grey stuff I was using before.

E: also, the plastic resin vats elegoo sells are amazing

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hubis posted:

Wow, I tried printing in the Elegoo Clear Blue ABS-Like resin and it's really amazing how different it is from the ceramic grey stuff I was using before.

E: also, the plastic resin vats elegoo sells are amazing

Really you like it? I got a thing of the clear green and I could not get a single decent print off of it. It was like the stuff had some weird consistency compared to the sainsmart clear I usually use

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So I just came home and for some unknown reason my print had just stopped midway through. I did some gcode hacking to get it to resume, and we'll see if I succeeded but Octoprint was like EVERYHTING IS FINE even though the nozzle was sitting on top of the layer.

Also when Iw as doing e-step calibration the octoprint terminal only seemed to accept one line of command and I'd have to reboot the system. It was annoying. Anyone have suggestions for this? I'm using a pi3 B+.

Oh and Cura 4.4.1 is not giving me the "Add Octoprint" button and I have no idea why.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

So I went ahead and printed a benchy, anyone see any issues I can fix with tweaking?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nope, looks great to me. Now start making useful stuff and don't make any more benchmark parts unless something goes wrong.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

socialsecurity posted:

Really you like it? I got a thing of the clear green and I could not get a single decent print off of it. It was like the stuff had some weird consistency compared to the sainsmart clear I usually use

I'm not even sure if it was good (my prints came out alright though) so much as surprisingly different. The difference in stiffness and durability was immediately noticable, the supports were way harder to remove though (and I didn't get them off very well). Just interesting to me the vast difference between different resins from the same basic process as much as anything else. I feel like exploring materials is going to be a whole world of stuff I wasn't expecting.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the apparent ability to resin print durable objects (tools, jigs, fittings, etc) on the Mars Pro.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 14, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like there's a new Phrozen Sonic Mini printer and it's pretty interesting because they claim it uses a monochrome LCD which transmits much more light and thus cures each layer in like 2 seconds: https://youtu.be/hsxo3iXdhxY
I thought the other printers would've removed the RGB filters anyway but this does seem to work much faster. IMO a good deal for an entry level SLA printer if you're buying now.

E: It's the Sonic Mini not just Sonic regular. $200: https://all3dp.com/1/phrozen-sonic-mini-review-3d-printer-specs/

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 14, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
$1700 is a bit high for entry level.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
For $1,700 I could get a whole printer farm worth of other cheaper machines.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

If I'm spending $1700 on an "entry" level resin printer I'm going SL1 all day long.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry didn't realize there was a different model, it's the Sonic Mini, and is supposed to be about $200: https://all3dp.com/1/phrozen-sonic-mini-review-3d-printer-specs/

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, well that's different then lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, apparently one of the upgrades available for the Ender 3 is a laser engraver (another one is an enclosure bag made by the same company as the ender, so that solves that issue). Has anyone had any experience with it, and can it also cut acrylics?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Randalor posted:

Huh, apparently one of the upgrades available for the Ender 3 is a laser engraver (another one is an enclosure bag made by the same company as the ender, so that solves that issue). Has anyone had any experience with it, and can it also cut acrylics?

It's bad and it cannot, unfortunately.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I just had Octoprint just stop on me for the second print in a row, and this one I couldn't salvage. What could be going on here?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was having that problem when I switched to a pi4– ended up being the power supply. It was enough to drive a 3 with no issues but the 4 needed a little extra juice

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sockser posted:

I was having that problem when I switched to a pi4– ended up being the power supply. It was enough to drive a 3 with no issues but the 4 needed a little extra juice

I'm using the Pi3 B+ with a 2.5A power supply that came in a kit. Think that could be the culprit?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Randalor posted:

Any laser powerful enough to cut acrylics/etc. is too powerful to safely mount on a loving Ender 3's (or any open body 3d printer, honestly) frame.

If you think 3d printer emissions are toxic, holy LOL are you loving around with cancer when you start trying to play with lasers (and that's not even including the whole PPE/Eye safety side of things).

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Randalor posted:

I'll look into the Ender 3. Would I be able to put it into a cabinet with sufficient size on the interior, or do they need to work in a well ventilated area for reasons (ex: heat buildup or fumes released when the filament is heated up)?

Not sure anyone answered you. Yes you can.

You can buy an enclosure or there are plenty of plans to hack ikea furniture. Depending on your filament there are some filter options, but with like ABS you'll want something enclosed to keep the heat in.

Go watch some of the youtube videos from Teaching Tech he seems to really like the Ender line and has a ton of videos on modifying the platform, comparing mods etc...

He's pretty much my go to source for figuring out what I want to buy and mod next on it.

I'm still just printing in PLA so I haven't built a box/cabinet yet for my Ender 3, but at some point I'm thinking about printing in ABS so probably will.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Back in the early days of the hobby, people would snap up old server cabinets on the cheap, gut them (if necessary) mount their printers in the cabinets and put filters everywhere/insulate the cabinets until they maintained ideal print temperatures.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Any laser powerful enough to cut acrylics/etc. is too powerful to safely mount on a loving Ender 3's (or any open body 3d printer, honestly) frame.

If you think 3d printer emissions are toxic, holy LOL are you loving around with cancer when you start trying to play with lasers (and that's not even including the whole PPE/Eye safety side of things).

What part of a laser gives you cancer? I know there's a lot of "do not look at laser with remaining eye", but infrared/blue lasers shouldn't be ionizing?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

insta posted:

What part of a laser gives you cancer? I know there's a lot of "do not look at laser with remaining eye", but infrared/blue lasers shouldn't be ionizing?

It's not the laser, it's the fumes from whatever it's vaporizing, many of which are awful

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, yeah noted then. Sorry I got a little myopic :downs:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That can happen with lasers.

:haw:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CommonShore posted:

Ok I just had Octoprint just stop on me for the second print in a row, and this one I couldn't salvage. What could be going on here?
Prusa MK3?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Some followup to the enclosure discussion:
https://all3dp.com/2/ender-3-enclosure-easiest-ways-to-build-or-buy-one/

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Super 3 posted:

Not sure anyone answered you. Yes you can.

You can buy an enclosure or there are plenty of plans to hack ikea furniture. Depending on your filament there are some filter options, but with like ABS you'll want something enclosed to keep the heat in.

Go watch some of the youtube videos from Teaching Tech he seems to really like the Ender line and has a ton of videos on modifying the platform, comparing mods etc...

He's pretty much my go to source for figuring out what I want to buy and mod next on it.

I'm still just printing in PLA so I haven't built a box/cabinet yet for my Ender 3, but at some point I'm thinking about printing in ABS so probably will.

I was wanting an enclosure less for "maintaining proper heat levels" and more because I have a cat that I know would see a 3d printer in action and would go "yeah, I can totally take this thing". I'll probably pick up a cheap metal cabinet from Home Depot or Canadian Tire and if it starts to get too hot in the cabinet while it's running, drill some ventilation holes to help near the top and bottom.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Randalor posted:

I was wanting an enclosure less for "maintaining proper heat levels" and more because I have a cat that I know would see a 3d printer in action and would go "yeah, I can totally take this thing". I'll probably pick up a cheap metal cabinet from Home Depot or Canadian Tire and if it starts to get too hot in the cabinet while it's running, drill some ventilation holes to help near the top and bottom.

The go to is buying 2 Ikea Lacks, printing off a few dozen parts, getting some acrylic sheets for the sides, and snapping it all together. AFAIK, you can't go too hot and the need for ventilation holes is unnecessary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Phone posted:

AFAIK, you can't go too hot and the need for ventilation holes is unnecessary.

You absolutely can get too hot. I leave the doors of my enclosure open when printing with PLA because it has a tendency to strip filament when it's too hot in there. No problem (and huge improvement in fact) when printing PETG.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah. I haven't used an Ender, but just looking at it is enough to know that the ventilation, safety lockouts and what I'd call the "plan for fire factor" are not up to snuff for laser cutting/marking. People with entry-level printers doing laser stuff but applying their typical 3D printing safety and especially job-monitoring standards sounds like a recipe for a bunch of extremely-avoidable house fires.

You're also gonna run into the stuff CNC machinists run into when they try doing cheap laser marking by throwing a laser head on their 3-axis mill and getting some pairs of laser glasses for everybody- if you don't know what you're doing and start trying to mark/cut stuff that you shouldn't, you get chlorine gas being liberated and corroding the poo poo out of all those nice precision-ground hardened steel ways and shafts, and then you don't have two machines for the price of one, you have less than one

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 14, 2020

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
If you aren't willing to spend $400 to go down the K40 rabbit hole, don't get a laser of any kind.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

insta posted:

"remaining" eye? :crossarms:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry ender 3. The shutdown didn't seem to be related to the printer itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Because if you needed to read the warning, you probably already looked into it once