Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

dantheman650 posted:

Spent all day yesterday playing with Suite. The built-in tutorial is really quite impressive.

Is there a way to have a loop playing and record outside the loop? For example, a 4-bar chord progression is looping while I solo for 32 bars, and the entire 32 bar solo is recorded. I suppose this is easy enough by just extending the initial loop, but I’m curious if there’s a better way.

Also, is there an idiot’s guide to record vs. session record? The tutorial did not explain it super well.

Put the clip you want to loop into a clip in Session View and just enable Loop in the Clip menu and set how many bars it will play before looping back. Then you can just record your solo in a separate session track/clip for however long you want while the other clip loops. I use session view a lot for getting quick ideas out and then transfer to arrangement view after I have the basic idea down and want to start actually arranging the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've been downloading VST plugins, unzipped the dll and accompanying files into the custom Common Files/VST3/ directory. Setting the VST2 AND VST3 Plug-In Custom Folders to this directory, rescanning plug-ins. In short I've done everything I believe to be correct to use VST plug-in. I check plug-ins, I get nothing. A few months ago I have a bitcrusher vst2 to load correctly but that is all. I paid $500, so this isn't some bootleg version problem.
--- edit: My best guess is that the plugins I've downloaded are 32bit, while Ableton 10 only supports 64bit. Any recommendation for 64bit Ableton compatible vst for chiptune?

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 15, 2020

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

excellent bird guy posted:

Any recommendation for 64bit Ableton compatible vst for chiptune?

https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds.html

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

awesome, works good with ableton. I'm going to buy it!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Got my Push 2! It’s definitely a bit overwhelming but it’s already making recording a breeze. The pads feel really different than I expected but in a good way. Not mushy at all.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

dantheman650 posted:

Got my Push 2! It’s definitely a bit overwhelming but it’s already making recording a breeze. The pads feel really different than I expected but in a good way. Not mushy at all.

I've had a Push2 for a couple years now and love it, but I really should spend more time learning more of its functions because I know I use maybe 30%.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

MrSargent posted:

I've had a Push2 for a couple years now and love it, but I really should spend more time learning more of its functions because I know I use maybe 30%.

Same for me.

This month is super busy for me but next month I'm planning to set aside some regular time to do this and will share any resources I find here. the Push is too cool to be underutilized.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I want to try a matrix type midi controller. I've been enjoying the drum brute as a midi controller, and not even just for drums. I didn't like it for a long time but the DB sequencer+ableton makes it worth the money.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m having an issue with recording. Regardless of whether midi overdub is on or off, recording while a clip is selected in session view always overdubs. Is the midi overdub switch just for arrangement View? I am using a midi track, not an audio one.

If this question seems dumb, then what’s the best way to take a clip in session view that I don’t like and record a new one over it? I know I could just delete the clip, I suppose.

One more question: If I have a track with two clips in session view, is there a way to set device parameters differently for each clip? Like if I want the filter to be turned up only in the second clip.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 19, 2020

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Is there a keyboard shortcut for this button?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

One more question: If I have a track with two clips in session view, is there a way to set device parameters differently for each clip? Like if I want the filter to be turned up only in the second clip.

Just delete the clip

Also: right click parameter > show modulation

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

d0grent posted:

Just delete the clip

Also: right click parameter > show modulation

Yeah, makes sense. I just realized the Delete button really easily deletes a clip then I can just slam record again. Thanks!

Also, I have a 4 bar loop with a synth that has a pretty strong initial attack. However, I played it without picking up my first finger before hitting the second note, so it's a smooth transition, except for when the loop restarts. Is there any way to get rid of the attack at the beginning of the loop?

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 20, 2020

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Are they ever going to release a new Push?

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.

PerOlus posted:

Are they ever going to release a new Push?

If/When they do, it will probably be announced at their loop conference in April.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

So I typically write my drum patterns in a single MIDI track using Drum Rack. But when I have the loop mostly dialed in, I want to break it out into individual tracks. Right now, I am just duplicating the drum rack track for each different sound and deleting the other MIDI notes so it is one MIDI track per sound (hat, snare, kick, etc). This is pretty tedious and kinda sucks and there has got to be a better way to do this. Any thoughts?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Instead of deleting the midi notes, just solo the instrument in the drum rack you want the track to be for

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

d0grent posted:

Instead of deleting the midi notes, just solo the instrument in the drum rack you want the track to be for

I use the Solo / Mute buttons on Drum Rack all the time and didn't think of this. Goddamnit, lol. But thank you!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

A few small questions:

1) in session view, sometimes a track shows a record button in every empty clip slot instead of a stop button. I have no idea why and I don’t know how to stop the currently playing clip on the track without it.

2) can you automate transpose for a sample in a drum rack using push? I was not able to get it to actually record (but I can record other automation)

3) in Push 16 velocities mode, once you select a velocity, how do you set it back to default? Is the loudest one the default? There doesn’t seem to be a way to unselect a velocity and it sticks even when going back to step mode.

4) what’s the difference between a clip and a sample? When I go to the clips menu, they all have the same file type but some are midi and some are audio and I can’t figure out how to tell which is which besides trying to drag them to a track and seeing if it accepts or rejects them. This feels silly so I’m probably missing something.

Unfortunately, the docs are really lacking, especially for push. Feels like there are a ton of hidden features. But I’m having fun!

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 22, 2020

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

MrSargent posted:

So I typically write my drum patterns in a single MIDI track using Drum Rack. But when I have the loop mostly dialed in, I want to break it out into individual tracks. Right now, I am just duplicating the drum rack track for each different sound and deleting the other MIDI notes so it is one MIDI track per sound (hat, snare, kick, etc). This is pretty tedious and kinda sucks and there has got to be a better way to do this. Any thoughts?

I almost always use Battery for my drums, with Battery you can send each instrument to a different output so what I do is have a drums group with one track for the midi and then separate tracks for the instruments I want to isolate so kicks/snares/hats/etc all output to separate tracks, but the midi for the whole kit is in just one track for easier modification. I keep that setup in my default template.

I shared my battery drum rack with general midi labeling somewhere in this thread but not sure if it had the separate channel setup then.

I can share it when I get home if you're interested

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MrSargent posted:

I have to do this when exporting stems, you can drag and drop the drum tracks out of the rack.
You might have to have a empty midi track ready where to drag to, can’t remeber because it’s muscle memory at this point and it loving sucks.
Theres also export chains command but for some reason I havent had it work 100% ever, maybe because I have subgrouped some tracks.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

MrSargent posted:

This extracts one or more drum rack chains to a new drum rack mixer channel containing only the selected chains. It will copy the midi data as well, and will remove those chains from the old drum rack channel.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

A few small questions:

1) in session view, sometimes a track shows a record button in every empty clip slot instead of a stop button. I have no idea why and I don’t know how to stop the currently playing clip on the track without it.

2) can you automate transpose for a sample in a drum rack using push? I was not able to get it to actually record (but I can record other automation)

3) in Push 16 velocities mode, once you select a velocity, how do you set it back to default? Is the loudest one the default? There doesn’t seem to be a way to unselect a velocity and it sticks even when going back to step mode.

4) what’s the difference between a clip and a sample? When I go to the clips menu, they all have the same file type but some are midi and some are audio and I can’t figure out how to tell which is which besides trying to drag them to a track and seeing if it accepts or rejects them. This feels silly so I’m probably missing something.

Unfortunately, the docs are really lacking, especially for push. Feels like there are a ton of hidden features. But I’m having fun!

I answered some of my own questions since I asked this:

1) this appears to be a feature that’s enabled when you have a Push (or other midi controller?) connected. You can use the Push’s Stop Clip button with the track selected. Not sure how to do this with a mouse still but that’s ok.

2) You can! Select the drum rack, then the pad. Click the Simpler button twice in the Push controls at the top and you’ll see the bottom controls turn into General, Envelope, etc. Transpose is in one of those and can be automated from there.

Still not sure about 3 and 4 but I’m getting more comfortable every day.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

W424 posted:

I have to do this when exporting stems, you can drag and drop the drum tracks out of the rack.
You might have to have a empty midi track ready where to drag to, can’t remeber because it’s muscle memory at this point and it loving sucks.
Theres also export chains command but for some reason I havent had it work 100% ever, maybe because I have subgrouped some tracks.

PoizenJam posted:

This extracts one or more drum rack chains to a new drum rack mixer channel containing only the selected chains. It will copy the midi data as well, and will remove those chains from the old drum rack channel.

Thanks a lot dudes, this definitely helps. Also Poizen, I am pretty sure I still have a Daft Punk remix you did on my iPhone haha.

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
Starting tracks in Gadget on iOS and exporting them as Ableton projects works surprisingly well.

dantheman650 posted:

I answered some of my own questions since I asked this.

Thank you! I've had the same questions.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

dantheman650 posted:

I answered some of my own questions since I asked this:

dantheman650 posted:

1) this appears to be a feature that’s enabled when you have a Push (or other midi controller?) connected. You can use the Push’s Stop Clip button with the track selected. Not sure how to do this with a mouse still but that’s ok.

I think this is just the case for any track that's record armed (see 16.2 here: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/recording-new-clips/), regardless of what controller is connected. I just tried this out on my laptop which is currently not connected to any controller and when I arm the track, all stop clip buttons turn into record clip buttons.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Any of you on macOS who have remapped the record button to something else but F9? A little annoying if you need to do a lot of takes and you don't have Fn pressed down by default. Wish there was a way to reuse the space bar for this, maybe Ctrl+Space?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm reading the Dance Music Manual and there's a paragraph on subtractive synthesis I don't understand:

quote:

In the early years of dance music, a favorite approach was to employ a filter envelope to modulate the pitch of the first oscillator as well as the filter. By doing so, as the filter changed with the envelope motion, so too did the sync. This produced a timbre typical of classic early Rave.

I'm trying to do this using Analog but I don't know how a filter envelope can modulate anything - it's static. Does he mean using an LFO or something?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I've seen some producers have a standard chain of effects on the master track for extra polish and control and what not. e.g. they'll throw in a glue compressor, a limiter, etc. They claim it makes the thing sound better. How much of this is placebo fairy dust and how much of it is "of course you should absolutely do this, it makes a huge difference"? And if it's the latter, what should I know about that?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

It's absolutely beneficial to process the entire master track in subtle ways. Usually people will have this done by someone else though, since it's a good idea to have a fresh pair of ears make a pass at correcting things that the producer can't hear anymore after 50 hours of the same song playing. If you're just starting then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

I'm reading the Dance Music Manual and there's a paragraph on subtractive synthesis I don't understand:

I'm trying to do this using Analog but I don't know how a filter envelope can modulate anything - it's static. Does he mean using an LFO or something?

He means using the same envelope to modulate both the filter cutoff frequency and the pitch of an oscillator at the same time

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

dantheman650 posted:

Envelope = modulation of a given parameter over time, as opposed to continuously repeating like an LFO. The paragraph is poorly written, but like d0grent says they're just talking about taking the filter envelope and applying it to the pitch of one of the oscillators. Presumably there's more context in there about a second oscillator not modulated by the envelope, hence "so too did the sync [change with the filter]".

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That makes sense - so that’d be adjusting the Pitch field inside the filter envelope controls? I thought what that did was make the filter respond differently depending on the pitch, not change the pitch according to the filter envelope. I guess I’m still perplexed because there’s no audio tracks with the book so I can’t tell if I’ve achieved the desired effect.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

dantheman650 posted:

That makes sense - so that’d be adjusting the Pitch field inside the filter envelope controls? I thought what that did was make the filter respond differently depending on the pitch, not change the pitch according to the filter envelope. I guess I’m still perplexed because there’s no audio tracks with the book so I can’t tell if I’ve achieved the desired effect.

No. You can't really do what the article is suggesting with just Analog. If you have M4L, you can use an envelope midi effect and map the same envelope to both the filter freq and the osc sync ratio with the sub/sync option set to sync mode.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Oldstench posted:

No. You can't really do what the article is suggesting with just Analog. If you have M4L, you can use an envelope midi effect and map the same envelope to both the filter freq and the osc sync ratio with the sub/sync option set to sync mode.

Got it! Thanks. While it’s nice to have a generic dance music primer I wish it was Ableton specific. Sometimes it’s hard to map the advice to actual settings.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This is an excellent but very dated series of videos by Tom Cosm that will teach you everything about Live 9. For most of the basics it should be fine.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot dudes, this definitely helps. Also Poizen, I am pretty sure I still have a Daft Punk remix you did on my iPhone haha.

No way! That's ancient- you may have the only remaining copy of it aside from my personal collection.

Can't say I'm... Better than I used to be now, but certainly more experienced. Mostly just play bass on Twitch/YouTube these days honestly.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 11, 2020

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

Got it! Thanks. While it’s nice to have a generic dance music primer I wish it was Ableton specific. Sometimes it’s hard to map the advice to actual settings.

Ableton’s Analog is just long in the tooth and IMO not very good. Operator is absolutely brilliant.

The envelope thing was a necessity for a lot of synths. Even a Jupiter 8 only had two envelopes, so you were forced to use one of them to modulate pitch.

An Oberheim Xpander has five envelopes, so even if you use one for volume and another for the filter, you still have three spares.

In general, an important application of sync was to get a metallic, cutting sound, so a filter would’ve dulled it. Another application is to generate non-standard waveforms. You can leave the pitch constant in that case, but it makes two oscillators act as a single one so no nice detuning.

Lots of plugins have a sync oscillator built in nowadays so you don’t even have to sacrifice osc 2. Since a sync osc only needs to reset the phase, you don’t even have to select a waveform.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I come to this thread with hope that someone can help my dumb rear end out.
I'm a basic Ableton user at best, and recently I've decided to get into learning how to DJ with vinyl and get the basics down. However, my setup is a little different (for now) and I need help with how to record sets as I mix them.
Here's the probably very stupid and backwards way that I do it right now:
I've got a Numark NM2 mixer, and into channel 1 I've got a turntable going in, and into channel 2 I've got my laptop plugged into via RCA to minijack cable, where I trigger clips in Ableton that I mix into and out of with the vinyl turntable. Works well enough for me to learn the basics and get a feel for beat matching and mixing music live, the combination of the turntable and Ableton has been interesting.

I want to record what I'm working on, but having a dick of a time trying to figure out how to do it with what I've got. I have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 - from the mixer's record out I've tried running another RCA to minijack cable to the Scarlet and having it take in the master mixer signal into an audio track in Ableton. Every which way of settings, I'm getting the worst sound and trouble with routing the clips racks. Whatever I do record plays back as super tinny and sounds as if the microphone on my laptop recorded everything, even though I've set the Scarlet as my I/O device. For whatever reason, I can’t get ableton to listen to the mixer feed and the cross fading. In playback the clips just start and stop abruptly with fading in/out like I’ve mixed. I’m all sorts of confused.

I know I'm doing this all in a real boneheaded way, but any pointers/advice would be hugely appreciated. I'll probably give up sooner than later and get another turntable and do it all the way, but for now if I can figure out this ableton thing I'd be pumped. Thanks thread!

Edit: This all feels like it's something that could be solved with a mixer with an audio card/USB interface.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 13, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Check your I/O settings in Preferences, make sure that the input pair you're running from the record out on your mixer is enabled. Look at the channel it's coming back on, and mute it so you don't get into any feedback loop situations. When you're done recording a set and want to play it back, do the opposite - mute the clip tracks (grouping them could help with this) and unmute the track with the recording on it. When you hit record in Live it also records your clip triggering, so this plus the tracks left unmuted might explain clips "just starting and stopping;" you're listening to the whole set including the clips you triggered, not just the record track.

As to everything sounding tinny, I don't know - could be a bad cable or output on your mixer? What you're describing should be possible with your Scarlett or any other 2x2 interface.

Video question: are video clips warpable? I'm guessing not. I have this idea for cutting some video performance tracks, like of me playing drums for example, and want to lock all the hits to time (warping, duh) and I'm wondering what's the best way to do that. Is it simply a matter of warping the audio and then cutting the video to it in a video editing software, or is there a utility (Resolume maybe?) that can warp/cut video to its audio track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What’s the easiest way to change a project name? I don’t understand the difference between save as, save a copy, and collect all and save. The Ableton manual does not do a good job of explaining the differences.