Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked Hard Reset but I found the first boss unbeatable on the hardest difficulty on a replay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Locator posted:

Lol.. it's telling me to play Path of Exile, which I have hundreds or possibly thousands of hours in, but none of it's shown in Steam because I use the stand alone client (the Steam client for PoE is awful).

So what you're saying is that its actually super accurate at figuring out what you like??

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Do I still get the Y1 DLC (whatever they where) if I didn't buy them previously, but buy whatever the Y2 expansion is?

The main things you get if you buy the “Year 1 Pass” are:

1) The 3 specializations unlocked immediately, though you still have to gain their upgrade points normally.
2) Cosmetics for doing the things the non-year 1 pass holders have to do to unlock the specializations.
3) 8 smaller missions that don’t really have main plot relevance but do contain audio logs of stuff happening before the outbreak as well as a backpack keychain charm to find after you solve a minor puzzle in the mission. Some of these are actually pretty good missions but they currently don’t have all the options regular missions have (like difficulty options) so they are more of a “do them once and then forget about it” thing.

Without the year 1 pass you still get access to the specializations you just have to do 5 levels of random “field research” tasks beforehand. You get the main plot missions (and Kenly College) that have been added over the year. You get the current raid and the next one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone here happen to know where I might find the older Call of Duty games on PC for cheap? I'm doing a thing where I stream the campaigns of each COD game starting with the original Modern Warfare, which I found for like five bucks. But everything AFTER that is still in the $20-40 range. Right now I'm looking for World At War and Modern Warfare 2, but IsThereAnyDeal has them both at 20 bucks which is... way too much for a ten year old game of which I'm only going to play the ~6 hour single player.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone here happen to know where I might find the older Call of Duty games on PC for cheap? I'm doing a thing where I stream the campaigns of each COD game starting with the original Modern Warfare, which I found for like five bucks. But everything AFTER that is still in the $20-40 range. Right now I'm looking for World At War and Modern Warfare 2, but IsThereAnyDeal has them both at 20 bucks which is... way too much for a ten year old game of which I'm only going to play the ~6 hour single player.

I'm sure I've very nominally wrong about this because it's happened like once or twice but even the oldest CoD games only ever go down to $20 for the most part. You're boned.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've found boxed copies with Steam keys on clearance at some physical stores for a couple of older Call of Dutys (Calls of Duty?). So maybe try that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

I'm sure I've very nominally wrong about this because it's happened like once or twice but even the oldest CoD games only ever go down to $20 for the most part. You're boned.

I’ve thought about buying Infinite Warfare for the campaign a few times but it’s always waaay too much, even on sale. CoD campaigns are too short for those prices and the multiplayer is always long dead for the older ones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orv posted:

Dang it. I figured as much.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve thought about buying Infinite Warfare for the campaign a few times but it’s always waaay too much, even on sale. CoD campaigns are too short for those prices and the multiplayer is always long dead for the older ones.

Actually depending on the CoD the old MPs are surprisingly resilient, especially on PC. Not thousands of people or anything but you'll probably be able to find games of most of them on PC for far, far longer than it would make any sense to.

That said yes the pricing and sales structure for CoD is totally bullshit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
COD4 at least was moddable, so I think there's still a few weirdass custom servers up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So what you're saying is that its actually super accurate at figuring out what you like??

Apparently! The other two titles were a couple of the older Borderlands titles, one which I played and am done with and the other being the pre sequel which I've looked at, but... meh..

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CJacobs posted:

The biggest discounts they ever get on Steam is 66% off. I think I saw MW2 got for $10 once; otherwise, they never get below $25.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

loving hell I hate the cops in Watch Dogs 2, leave me alone. I'm doing one of the first main missions and they just keep chasing me forever.

e: God this is aggravating gently caress this mission

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 13, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The one with the AI car? Yeah, they're just obnoxiously persistent. What I found works best is to hide in an alley and use that option that makes you turn off the car and hide below the windows.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked Hard Reset but I found the first boss unbeatable on the hardest difficulty on a replay

Redux? They added a lot of Shadow Warrior stuff to that version which makes it overall better and also bosses easier iirc.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Oh man, I don't need any help with that. I decided to make a "Backlog" category in my library and put in games I own, I'm interested in playing but haven't played AT ALL on any platform (not just Steam). I have over 100 titles in there. I figure when I finish with Disco Elysium, I'll just open that list and pick one randomly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

The one with the AI car? Yeah, they're just obnoxiously persistent. What I found works best is to hide in an alley and use that option that makes you turn off the car and hide below the windows.

It's not working. I'm trying to escape on foot now. I almost made it once, but of course the helicopter spotted me.

Millions of dead cops...and they just keep coming...this is a mission from hell.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phlegmish posted:

It's not working. I'm trying to escape on foot now. I almost made it once, but of course the helicopter spotted me.

Millions of dead cops...and they just keep coming...this is a mission from hell.
You have to find a nook where they can't easily see you from the streets, just a bit out of sight. If you're just picking a random spot and stop, they'll notice as soon as they pass closely by you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Activision’s sale prices on CoD are dumb and bad and yeah, Is There Any Deal is accurate. They have never gone into the “Oh why not” range. Could find box copies of Call of Duty 1 and 2 for cheap since those are just cd keys but once you hit Modern Warfare that’s what you get.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Phlegmish posted:

Park & hide between a building and a bridge or if on-foot, just hide somewhere under a roof. It's not hard but it takes forever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got away through sheer luck by hiding behind a random house. The cops suddenly stopped being psychic and there was no helicopter for some reason. I think the game took pity on me.

Why would they make this the second main mission of the game, just made me wish I were playing Saints Row instead

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I remember escaping the cops a couple of times by getting on one of those - thingies that has a platform that rises up? And lifting it all the way up and just crouching up there until they went away like bored dogs.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

CJacobs posted:

You can sometimes find the mac versions cheaper for some reason, which I think are steamplay anyway. I know I got MW2 for $5 aeons ago like that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The cops in SR2 are unbelievably tenacious. So much so that I gave up on the bloody game halfway through (well that and other reasons)

If I tried it again, I'd try it with as many anti-cop hacks as possible acquired first, because holy poo poo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Have you tried going through your local drive thru forgive and forget?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Locator posted:

Lol.. it's telling me to play Path of Exile, which I have hundreds or possibly thousands of hours in, but none of it's shown in Steam because I use the stand alone client (the Steam client for PoE is awful).

I have a pet from the beta trapped on a Steam linked account :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

loving hell I hate the cops in Watch Dogs 2, leave me alone. I'm doing one of the first main missions and they just keep chasing me forever.

I will give props to Watch Dogs 2 for having a “helicopters can gently caress off” button as an unlockable skill. Police helicopters are the worst part of any game with a wanted system.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fallom posted:

I have a pet from the beta trapped on a Steam linked account :(

support can merge mtx from an old account to a new one

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Phlegmish posted:

I got away through sheer luck by hiding behind a random house. The cops suddenly stopped being psychic and there was no helicopter for some reason. I think the game took pity on me.

Why would they make this the second main mission of the game, just made me wish I were playing Saints Row instead
You're going to have a blast trying to get off alcatraz.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The only thing you have to do to escape the cops in WD2 is get out of their sight for one moment, enter an alley and press the button to hide inside your car. The game is just very bad at explaining how effective that is.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pirating Activision games is good praxis. Their best games came out years ago. The developers were hosed over long before now. You should feel more guilty for paying for those games rather than pirating them

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

orcane posted:

Also no co-op in AoM is just :psyduck:

Everyone says this, but it felt like the game was ultimately balanced around the single player/three characters gimmick.

...That said, it's also extremely plausible that the game was originally supposed to be a GaaS Destiny-esque pseudo-MMO. Why else would they make 90% of the content fit exactly into that mold and then make the 10% of the game that was actual story content all end with obvious plot hooks to be resolved at an unspecified "later"? Would also explain why character progression is a mess.

CJacobs posted:

You might be able to shave some extra off the top if you wait for an Activision sale on Humble Store and have the Humble Choice store discount. That's the only semi-reliable way to get them for cheaper that I can think of, anyway. Or as was said, very occasionally you can find the "mac version" on sale for cheaper for no particular reason or as part of, say, one of Fanatical's Aspyr sales (I think they did the mac ports for some of them).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Phlegmish posted:

Did this get patched in recent months to make it run better? I played through it on Xbox at launch and rebought it on Steam but maaaaan it runs like poo poo on my 1070.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

Did this get patched in recent months to make it run better? I played through it on Xbox at launch and rebought it on Steam but maaaaan it runs like poo poo on my 1070.

Define like poo poo, because I ran it decently on far worse hardware (a 2014 Alienware Alpha. And it was the cheapest version).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Watch Dogs 2 before you get hack the pursuers to death abilities assumes you watched the intro of Drive and really liked it. The cops can drive (rubberband at least lol) as well as you so even in a sports car you're not going to outdrive them and before you have the hacked to death abilities your only real gameplay verb is hide in the seat in an alley or under a bridge.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The rules for chases are a mess and seem to change from mission to mission. Honestly I don't recall most of the "stop chasing me and also die now thanks" buttons even working very well in WD2 (whereas they were godly powerful in the first game) because often it'll just spawn more pursuers in front of you anyway.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

20XX is getting a sequel. I don't usually care for procedurally generated levels, but that one worked really well and I'm interested to see what they do next.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

apparently there is a bug in wolcen where logging off in act 2 will roll you back to act 1 even in offline mode so uh, dont log out for now i guess lol

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

baka kaba posted:

I can give you a few tips though
- Edge Spin is what you're looking for with the outside of the pad - it's usually under Advanced Settings, mayyyybe only certain modes like Mousey ones? Since joysticks act like that anyway
- play with the Trackball settings (also mousey I think) so you can flick and it keeps moving, and you can catch it by putting your thumb back on the pad. Personally I tend to balance this and sensitivity to where I can move the view around comfortably without it feeling too slow or jumpy. I don't find the Edge Spin thing too useful, unless you have to do a lot of slow panning for some reason, flick and catch just works better for me
- you don't have to use Big Picture if you have the steam overlay active, do shift+tab and there's a controller config option in the top right, it basically pops up the normal Big Picture style one in another window. Still the same UI, but smaller and you can use the mouse and keyboard if you want anyway
- for whatever reason the Steam button doesn't open the normal overlay if you're not running in big picture, but if you go into your Steam settings and go to Controller, and then the Configure Guide Button bit, that's a global config for "what happens when I hold the steam button and press a thing". There's a bunch in there already for things like alt-tab, media controls etc, just pick something unused and set up a shift+tab key combo and you'll be able to get in and out of the normal overlay with the controller if you like

Steam

Controllers
I appreciate it! I trashed it after that post though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Awesome! posted:

support can merge mtx from an old account to a new one

oh dang, I thought I checked on this and saw them say they specifically refuse to do pets or things I didn't actually pay for

I shall try again!