Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
American TV is all made for brain damaged losers who are going to watch 6 hours of it in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Some Guy TT posted:

its like they didnt think making badass lego structures was a strong enough concept to build a show around when in fact the only reason anybody would want to watch a show like that is so they can watch people making badass lego structures

i dunno, i feel like watching the act of people building legos, even if the end result is cool, would be incredibly boring. my guess is they cut will arnett making dumb jokes into most of the footage because just introducing the contestants and then fast forwarding to the end results would be like 8 minutes of total footage.

now if the show was all about "you're going to build whatever object you believe can best resist 3 consecutive blows from an industrial wrecking ball and the winner is the team with the most pieces of their structure still standing, you have 30 minutes GO" then maybe that'd be more watchable. hell, that could actually be what the show is about (i've never seen it) but over the course of an entire season of football, none of the commercials that they aired for the lego show created any interest for me to watch it.

at least with other joke challenge shows (like Nailed It) you're taking amateurs at a given task and challenging them to create professional quality reproductions of some crazy food thing and the humor is related to how badly they gently caress up and how awful it tastes.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

most gays need as much radicalization as humanly possible tbh, and now there's even less chance of that NBC parasite primarying her out of her district

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in the lego masters episode i watched the challenge was to build a space themed lego set that would be destroyed either by dropping it hitting it with a baseball bat or putting a bomb inside it and the goal was to make the explosion look cool

they could have just made the entire show be repeated slow motion shots of the sets being destroyed from different angles with new details being pointed out each time and it would have been amazing instead they made me sit through thirty minutes of bad will arnett jokes and i only got to see each set blown up maybe once or twice

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

vyelkin posted:

good enough for you to post a tearful rant about how it should have won best picture because unlike parasite it's a satire of class struggle?

i watched parasite and parasite was definitely better but a lot of the criticism ive read of joker was pretty bogus

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i figure im the last person to watch joker on the entire internet so its fine to spoil it but the only thing i didnt like was his final line before shooting de niro. directly acknowledging himself as an Alienated Loner seemed way too weirdly self aware and on the nose. the politics was over the top, which i kind of loved actually, the scenes in the subway where everyone is reading papers just titled KILL THE RICH

the movie is obviously a direct response to the 2000s batman movies, especially dark night rises.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/petercoffin/status/1227297718739066880

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Watched a few movies this weekend

AFTER MIDNIGHT: A movie about a guy alone in his big country house losing it after his girlfriend leaves mysteriously. Also, a monster is prowling around... or is it? It is. Its trying to do something with horror and romance genres and never really achieves a pleasing synthesis. Still an ok watch, but wait for it to be free on Shudder.

PARASITE: A movie about capitalism making people into monsters and alienated weirdos. At one point the poor at the bottom of the hill drown in a flood of sewage while the people at the top finger gently caress & gaze at their kid sleeping in a teepee, so it’s pretty subtle by Korean standards, is what I’m saying.

READY OR NOT: A different black comedy featuring rich people, this one is about a multigenerational satanic ritual wherein millionaires hunt and kill whoever marries into their family when the devil tells them to. Seems like everyone’s making movies where the concept of outrageous wealth represents a fundamental imbalance that radiates destruction upon all people and institutions within its sphere of influence. Probably a coincidence. Pretty fun, but maybe catch for free instead of renting. Seems like a good Sunday hangover movie.

COME TO DADDY: Elijah Wood plays an emotionally arrested man who answers a letter from his estranged father asking him to come reunite in his secluded beach house. What follows is more Saulnier than Duplass. Excellent little flick, emphasis on little (in a good way). Elijah Wood is such a neat ex child actor. I bet he kinda pisses off all the other ex child actors by being so goddamn neat.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I love the shot in Parasite where the daughter's taking a smoke in the flooding house on top of a toilet that's spraying poo poo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mysterious frankie posted:

Watched a few movies this weekend

AFTER MIDNIGHT: A movie about a guy alone in his big country house losing it after his girlfriend leaves mysteriously. Also, a monster is prowling around... or is it? It is. Its trying to do something with horror and romance genres and never really achieves a pleasing synthesis. Still an ok watch, but wait for it to be free on Shudder.

Man Linklater took that in a weird direction.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Man Linklater took that in a weird direction.

Weirder still, the filming took place in real time over the formative years of a young boy who was never shown once.

StashAugustine posted:

I love the shot in Parasite where the daughter's taking a smoke in the flooding house on top of a toilet that's spraying poo poo

Parasite's grasp of visual economy (pun retroactively intended) was absolutely stunning. Terrific, approachable compositions that said exactly what was intended while still oozing excessive style. It was only 28 minutes shorter than Tarantino's film from the same year, but felt like it took half the time to watch because it's just so well constructed, seemingly around the mandate "Every minute of this should be engaging".

More than any political message I'd argue that is why Parasite was given best picture award over Once Upon... or The Irishman; both films are by directors known to make a movie as long as it needs to be in order to be great, but neither films needed to be that long or were that great. It feels like the Academy saying "Hey, get your poo poo together. You're supposed to be jewels in Hollywood's crown; big marquee names that excuse the gallons of poo poo we pump out."

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Feb 16, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Weirder still, the filming took place in real time over the formative years of a young boy who was never shown once.

Parasite's grasp of visual economy (pun retroactively intended) was absolutely stunning. Terrific, approachable compositions that said exactly what was intended while still oozing excessive style. It was only 28 minutes shorter than Tarantino's film from the same year, but felt like it took half the time to watch because it's just so well constructed, seemingly around the mandate "Every minute of this should be engaging".

More than any political message I'd argue that is why Parasite was given best picture award over Once Upon... or The Irishman; both films are by directors known to make a movie as long as it needs to be in order to be great, but neither films needed to be that long or were that great. It feels like the Academy saying "Hey, get your poo poo together. You're supposed to be jewels in Hollywood's crown; big marquee names that excuse the gallons of poo poo we pump out."

Undoubtedly, Parasite won best picture because it was the best picture. As you say, every minute of it is engaging, its visual composition is unreal, the tension it builds with simple things like someone walking up or down a flight of stairs is unbelievable. I haven't seen Once Upon..., but based on comparing it to The Irishman there's no comparison, Parasite wins hands down, it's better directed, better filmed, better structured, better written, everything about it is better. And also, in addition to the incredibly high quality of the filmmaking, it has a very good message about class struggle and the poisonous nature of capitalism.

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Feb 16, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My personal hangup with Parasite is that the comedy genre of telling an elaborate lie that gradually consumes everything makes me incredibly anxious so I was pacing back and forth watching it even before the guy in the basement

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Undoubtedly, Parasite won best picture because it was the best picture.

this is never why movies win best pic tho

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Undoubtedly, Parasite won best picture because it was the best picture. As you say, every minute of it is engaging, its visual composition is unreal, the tension it builds with simple things like someone walking up or down a flight of stairs is unbelievable. I haven't seen Once Upon..., but based on comparing it to The Irishman there's no comparison, Parasite wins hands down, it's better directed, better filmed, better structured, better written, everything about it is better. And also, in addition to the incredibly high quality of the filmmaking, it has a very good message about class struggle and the poisonous nature of capitalism.

I mean, it should have beaten everything in the running based on pure quality alone, but the Oscars don't tend to award international films Best Picture, even when they are better than their competition. This felt very much like a deliberate statement by a ruling body in the establishment to the operating bodies in the same establishment; step it up and get your poo poo together because this is what people outside our system (the one that has more or less dominated worldwide attention since forever) are doing while you suck yourself off.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

I mean, it should have beaten everything in the running based on pure quality alone, but the Oscars don't tend to award international films Best Picture, even when they are better than their competition. This felt very much like a deliberate statement by a ruling body in the establishment to the operating bodies in the same establishment; step it up and get your poo poo together because this is what people outside our system (the one that has more or less dominated worldwide attention since forever) are doing while you suck yourself off.

they elevated and exalted one of the legit most awful, ignorant and schlocky pieces of garbage ever committed to film just 14 years ago so honestly this is a good decade sooner than I expected anything from them

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this is never why movies win best pic tho

Oh I absolutely think quality is rarely why movies win. Usually there are a few films close enough to each other in quality that one of them wins for some other bullshit reason. Sometimes films win for bullshit reasons only, like Crash or Green Book. But I think Parasite was honestly so much better than the competition that even any bullshit going against it wasn't enough for the voters to not award it. I mean it didn't just win best picture, it won all the big awards, clearly the voters actually liked it instead of doing their usual move which is give the best movie best screenplay as a consolation and then give best picture to some bullshit.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you guys see Phoenix’s acceptance speech? That boy ain’t right, he’s got Terminal Hollywood poisoning.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Zvahl posted:

they elevated and exalted one of the legit most awful, ignorant and schlocky pieces of garbage ever committed to film just 14 years ago so honestly this is a good decade sooner than I expected anything from them

This made me go back and look. Goddamn, I forgot A)Crash existed and B)It won Best Picture. jfc.

I presume tho, just from context, you were referring to Best Director going to Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain, which is a little different from this current scenario. That award was cultural hegemony making a show of congratulating an outsider for integrating into the system and producing a Hollywood movie for Americans that was "brave" without making waves.

In this situ they let Parasite\Bong sweep through the awards, taking not only Best Director and Picture, but Best International Picture and Best Screenplay as well. They let a movie made by foreigners, in a foreign country\industry with an entirely foreign cast, take three big awards generally set aside for acknowledging staid Hollywood endeavors made by dues paying veterans, PLUS the award set aside for industry\national outsiders. I can't see that as anything else but Hollywood telling itself it needs to wake up and smell what the rock is cooking.

I think that is a big part of why a bunch of people are squealing like pigs over its strong showing. The Oscars exists to pat America on the back for steering popular culture, either through Americans making stuff, or America letting non Americans make stuff that our tastemakers allow to come into existence, then we approve of later with our money. These results don't congratulate "us" for existing.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Feb 17, 2020

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Did you guys see Phoenix’s acceptance speech? That boy ain’t right, he’s got Terminal Hollywood poisoning.

his parents were part of an insane hippie cult. his brother, whom he idolised, died from an overdose when he was 19 and people still haven't stopped bothering joaquin about that. and he might be really into peta and he's definitely the wrong kind of militant, but at least he's actively fighting for a decent cause and actually endorsed bernie in 2016.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Also, comic book movie with gritty comic book hosed up psycho in it did not win.

Or, if you're a different kind of dorky, the Wes Andersony comedy movie that made the daring statement "nazis are bad" didn't get it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oscarthewilde posted:

his parents were part of an insane hippie cult. his brother, whom he idolised, died from an overdose when he was 19 and people still haven't stopped bothering joaquin about that. and he might be really into peta and he's definitely the wrong kind of militant, but at least he's actively fighting for a decent cause and actually endorsed bernie in 2016.

He should take it easy imo and not do many more movies. I’m afraid of him going out like Seymour Hoffman. He also was the one who found his brother dying on the street and had to keep gawkers and paparazzi away from his brothers fresh corpse.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I think you mean "Bernies Sanders whiny white dudebro candidate confirmed"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So is the Sanic movie... good???

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i just saw knives out and yeah easy to see why the academy snubbed it the movie is just way too explicit about the fact that the whole family was sponging off the brilliant patriarchs wealth and that probably hit way too close to home with the typical academy voter

compare that with parasite being deliberately vague about where the rich familys money came from and technically supporting a centrist reading of mistakes were made on all sides if youre trying your hardest to ignore the subtext

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

it's fine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The funny thing about Sonic is that while the games themselves are trainwrecks, the supplementary media tends to be at least passable, if not surprisingly good.

I feel this contributes somehow to why the fanbase is so goddamn crazy. Too many mixed signals.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

its a perfectly acceptable kids movie
sonic does the floss dance which the kinds in the theater found hilarious

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i really thought parasite was going to turn into like a situational comedy where the imposter family has to keep coming up with more and more outlandish lies to keep the ruse going, so seeing the turn happen in the second surprised me.

the only part that i thought could have been improved would have been if none of the people in the rich family were hurt / died. like if the birthday party was just the sister and the son and the basement dude all being hurt/killed but the rich family walked away completely unscathed, would have been even more satisfying for me (in as much as it would really drive home the inequity that the wealthy enjoy)

also at the end, was the son actually doing all of the things he was describing in his letter, or was he just visualizing what it would be like as he writes it? because there's a part where he says "i'll just make money" and it's like the whole movie was about how you literally can't magically make that happen, why would that suddenly now occur offscreen in a time-skip

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i really thought parasite was going to turn into like a situational comedy where the imposter family has to keep coming up with more and more outlandish lies to keep the ruse going, so seeing the turn happen in the second surprised me.

the only part that i thought could have been improved would have been if none of the people in the rich family were hurt / died. like if the birthday party was just the sister and the son and the basement dude all being hurt/killed but the rich family walked away completely unscathed, would have been even more satisfying for me (in as much as it would really drive home the inequity that the wealthy enjoy)

also at the end, was the son actually doing all of the things he was describing in his letter, or was he just visualizing what it would be like as he writes it? because there's a part where he says "i'll just make money" and it's like the whole movie was about how you literally can't magically make that happen, why would that suddenly now occur offscreen in a time-skip

The ending is the delusional dream of fantastical hope he's clinging too as life gets darker and colder.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Never happened. It cuts back to him lying in bed. He’s daydreaming about how he’ll fix everything going and gone wrong in his family’s life with the same money and class system that created the conditions. It’s a tragedy.

EDIT: Also, the bit about the Park husband & possibly son dying serves the message better. In the end the Parks are just the latest new money to hold this spot in the sun and when their family is destroyed someone else just moves in (remember they make a point that the house was built by an even greater man from the past who has moved on.) They were in no way important to the system and it goes on without them, inspiring future generations to act against their best interests.

Also there’s some- and I don’t have a super firm grasp on Korean culture and history so someone correct me here- evidence that at least the Park mom comes from a lower middle to upper middle class background with the way she wants “ramdon” https://food52.com/blog/25002-what-is-ram-don They’re not old money, probably came from a lower class, but not low enough to know how bad things can be and probably see their current position to be the end result of hard work. There’s maybe more hints of it but I’m not educated in Korean life to catch it.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Feb 17, 2020

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dad really lucked out getting back in the basement, that's the hopeful part

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the dad emancipated his family in his final act, but the truth is there is no real escape, though we are deluded to believe otherwise

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wouldn't it be cool as gently caress to be rich though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

It's definitely just a fantasy. You get that momentary hope for catharsis, that maybe the dad will get let out of the basement, but then it cuts back to the son being dirt poor and you remember that everything else in the movie drives home that the son will never be able to do that and the dad is trapped in the basement until the day he dies, sending out that message every night to try and help his family but never knowing if they'll even see it or not. There's no escape and no exit within the system that put them all there, and thinking there is is just a brain-damaged young man's impossible fantasy of social mobility.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

also the way the son keeps laughing at the hospital, i thought the movie was going to make a hard swerve into being the korean version of the joker's origin story and i was going to give a standing slow-clap ovation in the theater if that had been the case. having the joker lose to the korean joker would have just been too loving perfect

vyelkin posted:

It's definitely just a fantasy. You get that momentary hope for catharsis, that maybe the dad will get let out of the basement, but then it cuts back to the son being dirt poor and you remember that everything else in the movie drives home that the son will never be able to do that and the dad is trapped in the basement until the day he dies, sending out that message every night to try and help his family but never knowing if they'll even see it or not. There's no escape and no exit within the system that put them all there, and thinking there is is just a brain-damaged young man's impossible fantasy of social mobility.

okay that's kind of what i thought but for some reason it wasn't obvious enough for my sad brain to unambiguously parse that out

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

what's the significance/symbolism of the rich son's fixation on native american mythology. i feel like it could have just as easily been that the kid was just really into the boy scouts, but i figure there must be some intelligent reason why that specific them was chosen that my smooth brain just isn't seeing

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Dad really lucked out getting back in the basement, that's the hopeful part

Some days, so long as I got a guarantee of food and maybe some books at regular intervals, I’d move into the creepy hidden basement forever, no lie.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

the dad emancipated his family in his final act, but the truth is there is no real escape, though we are deluded to believe otherwise

He didn’t though. A simmering anger that he keeps almost letting pop throughout the movie, then plays for laughs whenever he gets close enough that people notice, finally blows up and he kills the man he both adores and loathes, temporarily creating a fantasy of power over his situation at the expense of 1-3 people’s’ lives. Then he goes to cry in the basement forever while his wife mourns her dead daughter and the son lies in bed all day, thinking about how he’ll make everything right by basically winning the lottery of life.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

what's the significance/symbolism of the rich son's fixation on native american mythology. i feel like it could have just as easily been that the kid was just really into the boy scouts, but i figure there must be some intelligent reason why that specific them was chosen that my smooth brain just isn't seeing

There’s something there about “the good Indians” and “bad Indians” at the party in the end, with the good Indians saving the cake and returning it to the parks. There’s more to unpack there, like the moms comment about the tables being laid out in the crane formation, but I only saw the movie once and have some reading to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cut your family lose for revenge, they're just gonna be sad their whole life anyway IMO