Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

etalian posted:

Can't imagine the impact in the US if major cities had to do a similar mass shutdown and quarantine effort.

Well hopefully we don't need to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

etalian posted:

Can't imagine the impact in the US if major cities had to do a similar mass shutdown and quarantine effort.

I don't think American culture would allow for a shut down of business

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
this dumb loving thread has turned me into the worst creature of all, the Truth Is In The Middle moderate cretin. Congrats!! I hope you're all happy!!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

vyst posted:

Im honestly surprised swimming in the Ganges river hasn't uncovered more ebola-like poo poo

Good to see that being racist is still fun and cool.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Limerick posted:

I haven't been paying attention, is this just another stupid doomsayer thing like Avian flu, SARS, Swine Flu, etc? Or is this actually the plague which is going to kill us all?

not even the real plague killed us all and that was back before we had internet brain poisoning

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

How is that racist? That River is gross based on the things being put in it so feel free to enlighten me

But yeah make it a skin color thing if you want to virtue signal or whatever

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

nikosoft posted:

this dumb loving thread has turned me into the worst creature of all, the Truth Is In The Middle moderate cretin. Congrats!! I hope you're all happy!!

Another one bites the dust

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

etalian posted:

It's not as scary lethal as Ebola or the Black Death in terms of mortality rate.

But it's a pretty great example of quickly things can spread now due to globalism and also how you don't need Ebola style fatality rates to cause a massive panic + economic meltdown.

why would we quarantine any major cities, our superior american diseases will simply out compete this lazy flu and dominate the free market

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
numbers late again

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Does anyone have a mandarin language source for this one? I know some people who could use it but wouldn't care about any advice from an English source.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

What part of that post was smug

Posting apocalyptic declarations about what "will" happen when clearly no one has any loving idea what will happen is insanely smug

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Does anyone have a mandarin language source for this one? I know some people who could use it but wouldn't care about any advice from an English source.

I just found it like that on some random Twitter account

You could translate it into mandarin and photoshop it together I guess

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228102612437872640?s=20

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

*racistly tapping a copy of The Jungle*

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Maybe yesterday's number was a retroactive culmination, or maybe they're still lying.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228102612437872640

twoday
May 4, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Maybe yesterday's number was a retroactive culmination

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228102612437872640

It was, a bunch of new cases based on CT scans from many previous days were added at once because the diagnostic criteria in Hubei Province changed

5k new cases in a day is still huge

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

nikosoft posted:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228103981102092290

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
The news about the Japanese woman dying is a REALLY big deal. The implications suggest that containment has totally failed.

She died today, and postmortem revealed it was coronavirus. That means it's unlikely any meaningful quarantine measures were taken prior to her death. She didn't have clear contacts with Wuhan, and she started feeling ill January 22. That timeline matches what Wuhan doctors are saying - about three weeks from onset of first symptoms to lifethreatening complications (for the cases that are serious). The timeline ALSO suggests that she was infected 2-14 days earlier. So, maybe as early as January 8, a Japanese woman catches this thing. There's no contact with Wuhan, which means this is a secondary infection - probably a Japanese person, who presumably had a contact with Wuhan. If there were secondary infections outside of China in early January, this thing is quite possibly present in significant numbers in many if not most countries the world over.

ma i married a tuna fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 14, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress! I guess I'll have to stop my shipment of these babies to Wuhan now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ma i married a tuna posted:

The news about the Japanese woman dying is a REALLY big deal. The implications suggest that containment has totally failed.

She died today, and postmortem revealed it was coronavirus. That means it's unlikely any meaningful quarantine measures were taken prior to her death. She didn't have clear contacts with Wuhan, and sheShe started feeling ill January 22. That timeline matches what Wuhan doctors are saying - about three weeks from onset of first symptoms to lifethreatening complications (for the cases that are serious). The timeline ALSO suggests that she was infected 2-14 days earlier. So, maybe as early as January 8, a Japanese woman catches this thing. There's no contact with Wuhan, which means this is a secondary infection - probably a Japanese person, who presumably had a contact with Wuhan. If there were secondary infections in other countries in early January, this thing is quite possibly present in significant numbers in many if not most countries the world over.

totally yeah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

twoday posted:

It was, a bunch of new cases based on CT scans from many previous days were added at once because the diagnostic criteria in Hubei Province changed

5k new cases in a day is still huge

It's huge huge, it's like almost double what we were seeing previously.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress! I guess I'll have to stop my shipment of these babies to Wuhan now.

lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

almost 5000 new cases is bad. yesterdays was obviously catching up a lot of the previous days, but 5000 means this is still definitely uncontained

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sum posted:

Posting apocalyptic declarations about what "will" happen when clearly no one has any loving idea what will happen is insanely smug

You have a different definition of smug than I do I guess. When I think smug posts I think of stuff like "Wrap it up Obamailures"

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

jfc

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

SKULL.GIF posted:

You have a different definition of smug than I do I guess. When I think smug posts I think of stuff like "Wrap it up Obamailures"

liberals.txt

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

She died today, and postmortem revealed it was coronavirus. That means it's unlikely any meaningful quarantine measures were taken prior to her death. She didn't have clear contacts with Wuhan, and she started feeling ill January 22. That timeline matches what Wuhan doctors are saying - about three weeks from onset of first symptoms to lifethreatening complications (for the cases that are serious). The timeline ALSO suggests that she was infected 2-14 days earlier. So, maybe as early as January 8, a Japanese woman catches this thing. There's no contact with Wuhan, which means this is a secondary infection - probably a Japanese person, who presumably had a contact with Wuhan. If there were secondary infections outside of China in early January, this thing is quite possibly present in significant numbers in many if not most countries the world over.

Well now I am vaguely wondering if the three week "mild cold into bronchitis" that I had back starting in early January wasn't two things that I got back to back like I thought it was. No way that I got sars 2 in rural Michigan.... or is there?

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday posted:

I had a pneumonic flu in January! :smuggo:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
In the wreckage of humankind, I can least feel pride that the liberals have finally, at long last, been destroyed.

unmeidestiny
Sep 25, 2009

a few pages back but if this specifically means the Trump administration it's very likely (and maybe even probable) that they got this news from the same yellow panic youtube channels every paranoid nut is parroting right now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Well now I am vaguely wondering if the three week "mild cold into bronchitis" that I had back starting in early January wasn't two things that I got back to back like I thought it was. No way that I got sars 2 in rural Michigan.... or is there?

Very probably not

twoday
May 4, 2005

unmeidestiny posted:

a few pages back but if this specifically means the Trump administration it's very likely (and maybe even probable) that they got this news from the same yellow panic youtube channels every paranoid nut is parroting right now

Yes for sure, I bet it was Miller and his lackies watching YouTube and passing that up the chain of command

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
welp, 4.8k more cases today

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4471773875386065

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Very probably not

Yeah, I know. I just figured my young immune system would have dealt with a single thing quicker than 3 weeks, didn't realize that 3 weeks is actually how long some of that stuff can take

Anyway, now that I know I am safe from sars 2, because I 100% had it: good luck, you pieces of poo poo

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am following the cases in southern China, the number still look pretty good.

If you add up the numbers between Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian, Taiwan, HK, Macau, you get 1241+222+279+18+53+10=1.9k confirmed cases, and only 5 dead between them. It's safe to say warmer weather can help resist the virus. China's biggest manufacturing base is in Guangdong so at least thats some good news.

Now if you look at the coldest places in northeastern China. The 3 provinces tally up 596 cases, but already 11 dead. This probably can help explain Japan's problem.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Temperature will affect transmission rate, not severity

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon posted:

Temperature will affect transmission rate, not severity

Why not both? Colds are harder on you when your sinuses are all dried out from the cold air

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unmeidestiny posted:

This is the dumbest post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have no idea what this means or what it's implying any the epidemic.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1228112826214047744?s=20