Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You know, it might have been nice of Picard to tell the Romulan nuns that he was being pursued by the Tal Shiar and the Zhat Vash. Also probably would have gotten Elnor to go with him much faster, 'lost causes' and all that. "yeah, so, I may be running from the cops and also the Men In Black who it turns out are real. No, not the Will Smith comedy Men In Black."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
That's supposed to be totally secret even the nuns do not and should not know it. Adds weight to the story of secrecy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You know, it might have been nice of Picard to tell the Romulan nuns that he was being pursued by the Tal Shiar and the Zhat Vash. Also probably would have gotten Elnor to go with him much faster, 'lost causes' and all that.

Probably, but then they wouldn't have had the sword scene, and it's always better to show rather than tell.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Next week's preview looks amazing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pacing issues aside, I will say that the action-y bits are way more enjoyable than Disco so far. This past week's space battle was a lot of fun, and if you close your eyes and chant Holodeck Episode 3 times, next week looks like a ton of fun too.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

ashpanash posted:

Probably, but then they wouldn't have had the sword scene, and it's always better to show rather than tell.

Ok listen guys I betrayed your expectations and surprised I lived walking through your village but hear me out on this one its totally tru. Thing is your whole society is build on secrecy because some ancient mythical guys were scared shitless by some random thought of AI taking them over so they created a prophecy that AI should be studied and killed, then they created secrecy to veil themselves and turned your whole society into secretive abacus-wielding maniacs and also created tal shiar to serve as a secret police in a society of secretive people so they can be our facade. So these guys that you should totally believe exist are after my Datas baby girl so I plan on outpacing them and maybe destroy whole zhat vash and your romulan society. Also they deffo left 900m romulans die just to hack a synth so we will be scared shitless of synths too.

Naaaah.
Just adding to the ‘tell’ part lol

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 14, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Noise Complaint posted:

Majel Barrett Computer Voice!!!!

I got all excited about this but it wasn't :(

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This was the best episode so far for me. I agree that this is the best Star Trek since DS9. The scenery on Vashti was fantastic, and every minute of the episode was great except

ashpanash posted:

I'm also on team 'bored of the borg cube' already. Something needs to happen. But if I'm looking for a positive I actually liked the 'take off your shoes' sliding scene. Cheesy, sure, but a plausible sort of thing that you might expect to do if you're trying to get closer to someone. Lord knows there are cheesier scenes in Trek.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 14, 2020

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I got all excited about this but it wasn't :(

Yeah I don't know how anyone could have mistaken that. It sounded way more similar to the Discovery computer voice if you ask me, but I kind of glossed over it during that scene.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eiba posted:

Well this is the best Star Trek since DS9.

Though I realize that's kind of faint praise, I really do like this! I'm really digging all this explicit Romulan worldbuilding.

And then we got the Romulan Senator's point of view! "Your offer of help made us weak. We could have dealt with it better on our own and became stronger for it, but you made us doubt ourselves and accept your aid... and then didn't even follow through with it, leaving us like this." It was a much more coherent reason for hating Picard than I was expecting. Just "you failed us/lied to us, so we hate you" would have probably been enough for a less thoughtful plot, but they made a point to explain that the Romulans understand what Picard's intentions were, and what his outside limitations were, and they still blame him. His initial benevolent intentions were already harmful to Romulan society, from this man's perspective. And the way things played out you can see his point. Letting the Romulans admit helplessness, accepting outside aid, an act outside of their cultural norms and an admission that they are insufficient to the task, and then not even giving that aid, so they don't even benefit from that cultural blow- Picard's failed attempts to help were worse (from this perspective) than not trying at all.

I 100% agree with this and I really liked that bit too.

Also I love the different Rios holograms.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I 100% agree with this and I really liked that bit too.

Also I love the different Rios holograms.

I agree with both of these and I think it's kind of bullshit they killed that dude just to show off Elnor's skillz

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
honestly I just started skipping through the borg cube parts of this episode, ninja romulan feels like he's worf 2.0 a bit and the space battle was strangely underwhelming but it didn't overstay it's welcome. Next week could be fun? Oh and I liked Picard stepping on the segregation sign and politely instigating a confrontation

e: -20 points for no Commadore Cool

e2: gently caress gently caress sorry spoilers

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 14, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really wish they'd quit it with the incest thing, holy poo poo. They had meetings about this, you know, like, several rounds of people approved and pitched in to these ideas and let it through. It just so far is entirely unnecessary to anything, I am really curious if there's a reason for this later on.

I am also strongly suspecting a romcom playing itself with Soji/Spock. "Yes, I was pretending to fall in love with you as a ruse to kill you... But now -- I really do love you and would die to save you!"

Tighclops posted:

honestly I just started skipping through the borg cube parts of this episode, ninja romulan feels like he's worf 2.0 a bit and the space battle was strangely underwhelming but it didn't overstay it's welcome. Next week could be fun?

Speaking of Worf 2.0, was the tactical-hologram like a version of the captain who had been raised as a Klingon or something?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Next week's preview looks amazing

Seeing them put on those absurd costumes looked very TNG holodeck episode.

I'm happy to see that Seven seems to actually be part of Picards crew. Based on the trailers before the show started I assumed she would be an occasional cameo, not actually coming along for the ride with them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Small spoilers for the next episode, but: Star Trek: Pop Up Ads

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

This show is pretty lame, and I do go in to each episode with dread that it'll all fall apart, but I really have a lot of fun watching it each time.

Also I must say, Picard's outfit at the start on the desert planet was magNIFICIENT.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

ashpanash posted:

Prophecies are either wrong, very misleading, or only happen because people who believe in the prophecy make them happen.

I suspect they're writing towards option 2, but option 3 is the more interesting one.

Or they're correct because of time travel

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Two-takes Frakes strikes again! Fun ep.

Also, I'm starting to think Narissa is not actually a sister by blood but rather a "secret Romulan cabal" sister

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cross-Section posted:

Also, I'm starting to think Narissa is not actually a sister by blood but rather a "secret Romulan cabal" sister

The direction during the no shoes scene was wonderful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

This is also my hope but they should probably make it clear because otherwise those scenes are hella uncomfortable.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Much like previous episodes, I really enjoyed when the show was following Picard and his band of merry men persons, but over on the Borg cube I'm still waiting for something to, you know, happen.

Hot takes for ep. 4, in no particular order:

- "Jolan tru" was established as a Romulan greeting way back in the TNG days. Neat that they dug it up. (But WOW did they ever give it a workout.)
- Did I miss a line that explained why the old bird-of-prey was trying to kill them? I get that it's commanded by an evil warlord and stuff, but even they don't just kill everyone they see.
- The showrunners and/or the Romulans really seem to like the syllable "vash". Zhat Vash, Vashti. (And of course there's also Vash herself, but that seems like a coincidence.)
- Seven's arrival was effective, but I feel like it could have been an incredibly cool out-of-the-blue surprise if the show runners had kept the secret instead of splashing her all over the advertising.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

- Did I miss a line that explained why the old bird-of-prey was trying to kill them? I get that it's commanded by an evil warlord and stuff, but even they don't just kill everyone they see.

I got the impression that he's probably out for revenge like the Ex-Senator guy, since he starts booking it for Vashti around the same time the public feeds start blasting Picard's whereabouts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Okay, just watching the new episode, guessing that the kid Picard reads The Three Musketeers to is totally going to be the samurai

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Much like previous episodes, I really enjoyed when the show was following Picard and his band of merry men persons, but over on the Borg cube I'm still waiting for something to, you know, happen.

Hot takes for ep. 4, in no particular order:

Picard got made the second he beamed into the colony so the warlord's goon's onplanet (and probably half the people in town) sent out messages basically going "YO! ADMIRAL PICARD JUST SHOWED UP! HE BEAMED DOWN FROM LITERALLY THE ONLY STARSHIP IN ORBIT RIGHT NOW!" So that's why the Bird of Prey made a beeline for La Sierra.

I've enjoyed the show so far but this was the first episode I really seriously liked top to bottom.

- I like that they're using the holodeck to make Picard's chateau their little mobile base. It's a good way to get their milage out of that set while still being out in space. I wish it came with a Holo Laris and Holo Zhaban though.
- Rios's dipshit HoloCrew is fantastic and I hope they keep pulling more of them out of their rear end when need be.
- I really like Elnor. He's got a lot of pathos bound up with Picard already and I can't wait to see where that relationship goes.
- I have been so bombarded with Raffi calling Picard JL now that I'm officially numb/used to it now.
- Jutari is still sketchy as hell to me thanks to that scene with Comodore Cool Shades, but Allison Pill just plays her so likable I can't hate her even if she winds up getting all of them killed.
- The airshaft skating scene was actually really fun. I'm actually kind of rooting now for Narek and Soji to work out. Their actors have really great dopey chemistry together.
- Jean-Luc Picard Jean-Luc Picard'ing all over that village at the start and end of the episode was an utter joy to behold.
- The dogfight with the Bird of Prey was great.
- Seven. Of. Nine. Tertiary. Adjunct. Of. Unimatrix. Zero. One! :woop::woop::woop:

Anyone who outright hates this show has their head up their rear end, I swear.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 14, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did laugh at ”You owe me a ship Picard” - THUNK.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I did laugh at ”You owe me a ship Picard” - THUNK.

Annika Hansen, galaxy-wide record holder, "Most Survived Shuttle Crashes"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Eiba posted:

Well this is the best Star Trek since DS9.

Though I realize that's kind of faint praise, I really do like this! I'm really digging all this explicit Romulan worldbuilding.

This was all very good and explains better than I could the "Hey yeah cool" im feeling with this version of Star Trek.

Thank you for using the good words.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've only seen parts of VOY but was 7 of 9 that expressive and human by the end of it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

I've only seen parts of VOY but was 7 of 9 that expressive and human by the end of it?

She becomes more expressive as the show goes on but still relatively stiff to maintain the almighty Voyager Status Quo. Though at the end of series in one of the final episodes that begin to sew up the loose ends one of her remaining implants that inhibited her range of emotions begins to break down and kill her so she has it removed, if I recall correctly. After that she begins showing signs of being more human, but the show was basically over at that point so it didn't really matter. She's been out of the Collective for going on 25 years now, so that's ample time to learn how to be fully human again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know people are theorizing that Jurati is a mole, and she might be, but for some reason I’m wondering if they’ll reveal her to be a synth too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well, I suppose that was kind of obvious. Also might be spoiler tags off now given it's out in Australia.

I wonder if Picard's going to outright say that their new Romulan samurai is totally their own Worf? Also, I got some slight Bene Gesserit vibes from the warrior nuns.

Also, the hologram comes off as totally just the same guy putting on different outfits and wigs.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I thought for a moment that the rescue ship was the Delta Flyer, but alas no.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Also I must say, Picard's outfit at the start on the desert planet was magNIFICIENT.

I watched the episode the first time with "audio description" on by accident, but I kind of liked it and was still working so it was perfect. The audio narrator described Picard's outfit before Picard actually beamed in so I turned just in time to catch that dapper look.

Regarding Picard baggage: [spoiler]It's curious Picard left so many hanging threads in his life just hang in his, retirement/self-imposed exile. Picard just "hoping" that Legolas got out of his unfortunate orphan situation. Like, their situation is rough there but surely they still have wifi and Picard could've found out for himself. I imagine Picard really worked to throw himself into his vineyard to avoid his ghosts for decades,

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 14, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wayyyyyyyyy better episode this week. Like a million times better. Next week looks fun too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Explains your view a lot better, thanks!

To expand on them a little, with regards to the prophets/wormhole aliens (and apologies to everyone else)

Both of those terms are incomplete labels used to describe something that's beyond the comprehension of the speaker, so they use a framework they're most comfortable with.

In Emissary they're portrayed as being completely separated from our reality or dimension or plane of existence or whatever you want to call it. They have zero concept of time and don't even recognise corporeal beings as life forms.

Now how the nuts and bolts of this actually works is likely impossible to explain or even comprehend, it's a thought experiment like a writer saying a brand new and totally distinct colour suddenly appeared. You can imagine it happening and the effect it might have on people/society, even if you can't describe what it looks like, and that's what keeps it in the realm of sci-fi for me.

But what we do see is that they're not omnipotent, they don't experience our universe all at once (which would at least imply some form of determinism if they did) or even at all, they're totally separate from it. They're capable of being surprised. When Sisko appears in their realm he is a linear incursion, he has never existed to them before this moment (hell, the concept of "this moment" is brand new) and it's blowing their loving minds. This is what I mean by him being as alien to them as they are to him.

They've been able to exist in this timeless state until the barrier is crossed and it changes everything for them. They previously unknowingly crossed the barrier in the opposite direction when they sent out the orbs (their way of communicating with other life forms of their reality) which unwittingly founded a religion thanks to an orb's ability to show glimpses of the past or possible futures - the notion of free will is not negated... Yet...

That's why I think their arc wraps up in Sacrifice of Angels (if you ignore all the "part of our plan" stuff they'd started adding to his story by this point). Sisko is pleading with them to help, to stop the fleet coming through the wormhole.

He's asking them to take a concious linear action, to help a people who have shaped their entire world view around a previous, accidental one. To take responsibility for causality. And that's a big ask, but he pulls it off because he has actually been far more of an emissary to them than he ever has to the Bajorans.

So when they pull all the "chosen one", "our great plan" stuff out of their rear end, that's where I totally lost interest.

DS9 was only contracted for 6 seasons and I think it shows, they wrapped up Dukat perfectly only to bring him back in an unsatisfying way (the actor carried that nonsense, he's just that good), they had a good ending to the conceit set up in Emissary and they could have easily wrapped up the dominion war in much the same way with the remainder of the season. But once they knew they were extended for a 7th season, I think they decided to keep the Sisko/Prophets story going but couldn't rewrite the bulk of the season 6 plot.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 14, 2020

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That was a legitimately awesome space battle scene. Almost reminded me of the crazy stunts you can pull in Elite Dangerous.

SEVEN! :dance:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

first star wars, then GoT, then all of pornhub, and now even star trek is hot for incest.

it cracks me up that the entire crew of the ship is bent personality holoclones of the captain, including the weapons dude, and apparently the captain hates all of them but for some reason they all have his face. kinda makes me long for 'please state the nature of the medical emergency' though.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 14, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Self hate is strong in this one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like how after Rafi storms into the holodeck and her and Picard start having a major argument, they still nonetheless apparently take the time during the cut to sit and have a nice civilised cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ROMULAN FIRECHICKEN!!!!