Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Scott Redding's WSBK Portimao test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8KKCDALlE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

Slack pics aren't public.

Oh yeah, youre right, foiled by the fact that theyre cached on my PC so reviewing the post didnt reveal this to me :doh:
Fixed below, hopefully

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Went to a Bike Expo, look at this bike

Also this helmet which I did not buy

Sat on loads of bikes, which was good thing because I know now sitting on the Super Tenere, R1250 GS, 1000 V-strom they all feel huge, much prefer the smaller versions.

And I bought a Schuberth C4 Pro along with the radio they make for it, for 649eur total

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would ride that through the gates of hell doing a wheelie that is nowhere near balance point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

I would ride that through the gates of hell doing a wheelie that is nowhere near balance point.

Jesus it is so perfect! I never thought the perfect bike and helmet combo could exist, and yet here we are. Here we are.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Took me a minute to see Donald Duck.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Shuberth c4 are listed online for $350 USD, in plain colors, but still... New model is coming out and retailers trying to clear inventory space

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Shuberth c4 are listed online for $350 USD, in plain colors, but still... New model is coming out and retailers trying to clear inventory space

Huh, guess that would explain the clearance. Still, most retailers in Finland are listing the one color C4 Pro as 599EUR

EDIT: please dont make me fele bad for this purchase, I very much like this helmet and would like to think I got a good deal :smith:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
PRO is a standard issue C4 with redesigned lining and pre installed communication speakers and battery. Don't buy it unless you really want that comm system.

I actually ordered a C4 in black earlier today, $377 shipped. This used to be a $800 helmet and it's supposed to be incredibly quiet when sitting upright, in the touring position. If anyone is looking for quintessential dad helmet, this is it.

Do we have a gear thread? I feel bad for cluttering this one

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

PRO is a standard issue C4 with redesigned lining and pre installed communication speakers and battery. Don't buy it unless you really want that comm system.

I actually ordered a C4 in black earlier today, $377 shipped. This used to be a $800 helmet and it's supposed to be incredibly quiet when sitting upright, in the touring position. If anyone is looking for quintessential dad helmet, this is it.

Do we have a gear thread? I feel bad for cluttering this one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393894

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-scrambler-xsr700-yard-built

I'm very upset that I'll never be able to buy a bike like this. Say what you will about the BMW r9t, they know how to put out rad standards like the urban GS

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Coydog posted:

https://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-scrambler-xsr700-yard-built

I'm very upset that I'll never be able to buy a bike like this. Say what you will about the BMW r9t, they know how to put out rad standards like the urban GS

Of all people "Jake theGardenSnake" Is doing an FZ07 to off road bike conversion. Though being on a budget he's not going the full custom suspension route.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jake is an old school DRZ enthusiast so I’m onboard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Which manufacturer is it that made an ECU tool that used a Game Boy as the platform? Was it Ducati? I have this image in my head of a Ducati-branded Game Boy cartridge but I can't seem to turn it up on Google.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
It was Aprilia

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Stingwing posted:

It was Aprilia

That's a VERY aprilia thing to do. I ain't even mad. It's awesome. Wish I could mount some of my GBC as quasi dashes.

Skreemer posted:

Of all people "Jake theGardenSnake" Is doing an FZ07 to off road bike conversion. Though being on a budget he's not going the full custom suspension route.

I have a baseless hate for that guy but man, somebody had to do it. I'll have to give his conversion vids a look. While I like the LOOK of that bike I linked, and I know the T7 will have the functionality of his build, I have always liked the idea of Enduro converted streetbikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stingwing posted:

It was Aprilia

Ok this is my pick for the most Italian thing in motorcycling.

What I particularly love about it is that it seems like a monstrously terrible idea, very Italian, until you look at the state of 90's diagnostic tools and realise it's an incredibly brilliant idea, and that unlikely quality it has, that of it being a million to one hail mary that brings home the championship, is the very essence of Italian motorcycling.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm just impressed it's actually in "color."

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'm impressed they put a ghost image of the software name in the background. That isn't half-assed, they whole-assed that thing.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

As the folks on Slack know, I went and bought that DRZ.

I made it 20miles before it started to have an issue. Actually had the helmet camera going so got what happened as evidence for the dealer. But everyone (me, the recovery driver, slack) all think it’s probably an issue with a kink in the petcocks vacuum line.

It was a fun 20 miles. Didn’t take long to get the rear to lock up and fishtail, gonna have to go practice that in a car park.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Siiiiiiiiiiiick. Love it

The good thing is, DRZ’s are nearly indestructible. Unless you run them without oil or coolant, they’ll basically be fine to take any other abuse you throw at them.

Once you get this (maybe literal) kink sorted, you’ll love it.

What were the symptoms you were seeing, by the way? Can you post the helmet cam footage? We can help double check your dealers diagnosis

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

So, I had the camera on, but not recording :facepalm:

After 20mi of no issues, it started surging between low and high power.
Cutting the throttle (or load? I can’t remember if I tried to pin it and open the clutch) caused it to cut out.
Pulled over, had a bit of trouble starting it so wobbled the clutch switch and started it again.

Shortly down the road, surging started again, cut out when trying to pull over. This time I disabled the clutch switch and headed off again, got a fair bit further down the road when the engine cut out.

Tried to start it, just cranked over and over but no spark. Saw the dash dip out on low power so got out a jumpstart battery (noted the bike battery was brand new) and started it fine.

Well... It started, but cut out on any throttle or sometimes even just idling.

Tried a few times, couldn’t get it to reliably idle so called for a rescue.

During the two hour wait for the rescue I started it normally with no issues while it was cold (twice).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh, that's what happens when the battery goes bad. That surging.

Of course you could have just killied it with trying to start so many times, and its just a secondary issue.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The surging happened after nearly 20miles of uninterrupted riding.

Could the charging system be on the out? New battery, didn’t get charged during riding, and slowly drained over ~1hr?

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 9, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the only time i've ever had the engine die on my drz while riding for some distance was when the vacuum line wasn't hooked up to the petcock

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

should’ve got a KTM :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is the issue here.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Horse Clocks posted:

It was a fun 20 miles. Didn’t take long to get the rear to lock up and fishtail, gonna have to go practice that in a car park.

What are you supposed to do when this happens? By fishtail I mean the rear is sliding from side to side, not just out of line with the front.

This happened to me once, and I wanted to release the rear brake, but they tell you over and over to not do that, so I ended up just fishtailing off the side of the road :smith:

I am not sure what I should have done. Would more front brake just make the rear lighter and fishtail harder? Or maybe less front would help bring the rear back in?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

What are you supposed to do when this happens? By fishtail I mean the rear is sliding from side to side, not just out of line with the front.

This happened to me once, and I wanted to release the rear brake, but they tell you over and over to not do that, so I ended up just fishtailing off the side of the road :smith:

I am not sure what I should have done. Would more front brake just make the rear lighter and fishtail harder? Or maybe less front would help bring the rear back in?

If you have enough room to stop braking entirely, just do that, stop trying to steer as well and the bike will right itself like magic.

If you haven't got the space, wait till the rear is mostly in line and ease up on the rear brake. They tell you not to release in case you're dumb and let it go when the bike is massively sideways cause no poo poo that'll make you crash, but most bikes can go much, much more sideways than you're comfortable with and still snap back into line, it doesn't have to be perfectly straight when you let go. To crash/flip the bike, the tire has to have more sideways than longitudinal load and I'll leave it to you to squint at your bike and work out how sideways it would have to be for that to happen

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Horse Clocks posted:

So, I had the camera on, but not recording :facepalm:

After 20mi of no issues, it started surging between low and high power.
Cutting the throttle (or load? I can’t remember if I tried to pin it and open the clutch) caused it to cut out.
Pulled over, had a bit of trouble starting it so wobbled the clutch switch and started it again.

Shortly down the road, surging started again, cut out when trying to pull over. This time I disabled the clutch switch and headed off again, got a fair bit further down the road when the engine cut out.

Tried to start it, just cranked over and over but no spark. Saw the dash dip out on low power so got out a jumpstart battery (noted the bike battery was brand new) and started it fine.

Well... It started, but cut out on any throttle or sometimes even just idling.

Tried a few times, couldn’t get it to reliably idle so called for a rescue.

During the two hour wait for the rescue I started it normally with no issues while it was cold (twice).

That feels like fueling to me combined with maybe a battery that’s on its way out?

The DRZ’s can have stator issues, but the issues tend to be the bolts backing out (red loctite your stator bolts the first time you have the cover off) and the stator just frags instantly when that happens and it’s fairly rare.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh no sir I don't like this at all :ohdear:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Something something riding bitch

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Oh no sir I don't like this at all :ohdear:

People are extremely dumb and selfish

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That feels like fueling to me combined with maybe a battery that’s on its way out?

The DRZ’s can have stator issues, but the issues tend to be the bolts backing out (red loctite your stator bolts the first time you have the cover off) and the stator just frags instantly when that happens and it’s fairly rare.

When my buddies CBR250 battery died, I used the battery from my DRZ to get him going and just bump started the DRZ, so the battery is probably not an issue.

Next time it happens, take the fuel cap off and see if it gets better, this sounds like vapor lock in the tank.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
New Something Awful Forums Bike of Choice KTM Super Duke R review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo4G8bSwtJs

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ah yes 44t, the only talking-about-bikes related content on YouTube that isn't insufferable garbage, nice one.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

builds character posted:

New Something Awful Forums Bike of Choice KTM Super Duke R review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo4G8bSwtJs

The full Akra exhaust sounds so damned good on that bike

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Slavvy posted:

Ah yes 44t, the only talking-about-bikes related content on YouTube that isn't insufferable garbage, nice one.

John from Bike World, is in my opinion, the best moto journo right now. That and whatever Ari and and Zack are doing right now.

44T are fun, but annoying sometimes.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

mulligan posted:

44T are fun, but annoying sometimes.

Hard agree. The challenges and whatever are fun, sometimes, but the dude with hair, especially, comes across as a Clarksonesque twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The 44t guys are both insufferable prats, but they're entertaining insufferable prats. I do prefer Zack and Ari but I'm not shelling out for a subscription to MotorTrend and their weird app or whatever the gently caress it is they decided to do after they bounced from Motorcyclist.