Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
drat its almost like advertising, and all of capitalism, is a scam by the oligarchs to occupy the working class with bread and circuses while they escape to their impenitrable climateproof compounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

drat its almost like advertising, and all of capitalism, is a scam by the oligarchs to occupy the working class with bread and circuses while they escape to their impenitrable climateproof compounds.

Hey, that's not quite right.

Advertising is a scam to annoy the working class. Nobody actually likes advertisements, except for ad guys.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thank you, so it's not just me! That's mostly what I was asking for, with a side dish of "wtf? how is this good marketing?"

I've think we've all gotten comfortable with the highly-efficient algorithms that serves up personalised adverts, so it is very noticeable when it doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKdKcGJ4tM

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

R0ckfish posted:

I keep on getting ads for civilian versions of APCs for some reason.

SUVs are just really popular right now

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

profoundly unholy sex toys
:justpost:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would it be cheating to just say it's Bad Dragon?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
they are not. i beleive these are chinese dropshippers posting their wares through Walmart's amazon affiliate ripoff bullshit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What part of :justpost: are you having trouble with :argh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Anxiously awaiting my own fb ads to start incorporating sex toys into their usual algorithmic "Star Wars + x" mashup.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Splicer posted:

What part of :justpost: are you having trouble with :argh:

i'm logged into SA on my desktop and FB on my phone and i can't easily cross-pollenate content between platforms because i am easily distracted by shiny objects or simplistic melodical jingles.

tbh i think it was Wish ads which were super hosed and i haven't seen one of those in an age. if it crops up again i'll post em, splicer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm logged into SA on my desktop and FB on my phone and i can't easily cross-pollenate content between platforms because i am easily distracted by shiny objects or simplistic melodical jingles.

tbh i think it was Wish ads which were super hosed and i haven't seen one of those in an age. if it crops up again i'll post em, splicer.

Wish is always advertising weird rear end sex toys and/or drug paraphernalia

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

They don't seem in any real hurry to escape Florida

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shai-Hulud posted:

So...did the Kool-Aid Man always had the power to revive the dead or is this just a weird symbiosis thing between him and Mr. Peanut?

I think it's just the Mr. Peanut lifecycle that he dies and reincarnates in a new body with his memories intact. It would explain why he was so eager to sacrifice himself, knowing he'd be rewarded with a brand-new body. In fact one might even wonder if the geriatric peanut engineered the disaster for the express purpose of renewing himself in a way that drew sympathy for the brand.

Mr. Peanut: Hero or Menace?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I think it's just the Mr. Peanut lifecycle that he dies and reincarnates in a new body with his memories intact. It would explain why he was so eager to sacrifice himself, knowing he'd be rewarded with a brand-new body. In fact one might even wonder if the geriatric peanut engineered the disaster for the express purpose of renewing himself in a way that drew sympathy for the brand.

Mr. Peanut: Hero or Menace?

J Jonah Jameson is on the case!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Len posted:

Wish is always advertising weird rear end sex toys and/or drug paraphernalia
Wish figured out that they could advertise cheap junk that's "wacky" and people and youtubers would buy it even if they expected it to be nothing like what was advertised

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/brockway_llc/status/1226922282972434432

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Feb 11, 2020

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
lol, so, twitter. Cracked is pivoting to twitter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Memento posted:

lol, so, twitter. Cracked is pivoting to twitter.
Its uber for comedy writers!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Was he a 1099 contractor for 13 years? Because if you're an actual employee, there are laws governing that sort of thing

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just about exactly 10 years ago, Robert Brockway got me kicked off of Cracked's pitching room because he said an article I sold to another site stole his idea and copied his style. That "idea" was a choose-your-own-adventure. He also said I met with him at a writers' meet-up and went on and on about how much I loved his choose your own adventure articles. When I went to his boss and pointed out that A. It was ridiculous to accuse me of stealing an idea he had stolen, himself, B. I had been published with the same style of writing since long before anyone ever heard of Brockway, and C. I had witnesses to the interaction that could attest I never said anything he claimed I did, I was quickly dismissed because "Robert Brockway is kind of big around here." When I escalated it to his bosses' boss, I got no response. It set my career back a lot: I had been getting millions of hits from my freelance Cracked articles, as had everyone else at the time.

While I don't consider myself a vengeful man (I just want everyone to be happy and I hope he gets a good job soon), there's something quite poetic about Robert Brockway feeling small and unheard while losing his job at Cracked over some bullshit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I used to like Cracked but over time it got bad and worse and i stopped liking it.

Welp bye

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I visit Cracked about three times a year, when Seanbaby posts a new article. Normally click through a couple of articles that look interesting and find they aren't. :shrug:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just about exactly 10 years ago, Robert Brockway got me kicked off of Cracked's pitching room because he said an article I sold to another site stole his idea and copied his style. That "idea" was a choose-your-own-adventure. He also said I met with him at a writers' meet-up and went on and on about how much I loved his choose your own adventure articles. When I went to his boss and pointed out that A. It was ridiculous to accuse me of stealing an idea he had stolen, himself, B. I had been published with the same style of writing since long before anyone ever heard of Brockway, and C. I had witnesses to the interaction that could attest I never said anything he claimed I did, I was quickly dismissed because "Robert Brockway is kind of big around here." When I escalated it to his bosses' boss, I got no response. It set my career back a lot: I had been getting millions of hits from my freelance Cracked articles, as had everyone else at the time.

While I don't consider myself a vengeful man (I just want everyone to be happy and I hope he gets a good job soon), there's something quite poetic about Robert Brockway feeling small and unheard while losing his job at Cracked over some bullshit.

for a brief while it looked like cracked was poised to become the longform article version of funnyordie but the revolving door of corporate ownership hosed that over pretty hard. they were, until now, still one of the more reliable ways for a total nobody to establish their comedy chops, but it's not like there's anywhere left to grow from that.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

for a brief while it looked like cracked was poised to become the longform article version of funnyordie but the revolving door of corporate ownership hosed that over pretty hard. they were, until now, still one of the more reliable ways for a total nobody to establish their comedy chops, but it's not like there's anywhere left to grow from that.

I used to be a regular listener to the Cracked podcast until their first purge of all the creatives a few years ago. The guys I followed from there have their own podcast network now, called Small Beans. I honestly didn't think there was anyone left on staff who did anything worthwhile but I guess now there definitely isn't.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Jason Pargin/David Wong contributes thoughtful stuff on occasion still, and he's writing another John Dies At The End novel. :sigh: i miss my friends.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Pretty sure California’s new labor laws have to do with Cracked’s new model. They can only accept 30-something submissions from any freelance writer/editor before they’d need to consider them an employee and pay all the payroll taxes associated with that. AB5 was so poorly executed in so many ways.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
dipshit executives: we can hire professionals full time and pay them a living wage, or we can open the fuckin shitgates and let the madmen run the asylums.
de2: wouldn't that tank our reputation and utterly ruin the IP for an entire generation while not actually generating additional revenuaahahahahaha can you IMAGINE giving a poo poo?
de: (too busy shoveling cocaine up his nose to respond)

edit- also, cracked's turnaround time was usually in the month+ range (my article ran 6 weeks after they bought it) so getting any one freelancer doing more than 2-3 articles a month sounds, eh, unfeasible. maybe the folks they've got now are publishing more frequently in the past but i think this is just another bonging of the online media death knell.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cracked has good writers occasionally. One article correctly points out that good direction or artistry in movies doesn't necessarily translate to good reviews, using an example of how Batman v Superman had a building explosion scene far better than its Marvel counterpart Civil War which is something you normally get from Cinema Discusso.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Was he a 1099 contractor for 13 years? Because if you're an actual employee, there are laws governing that sort of thing

i'm sure the laws are better in california but i've only worked in kansas and this made me lol

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JessReports/status/1227779214797164545

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This looks like a product of an actual campaign to bring attention to Bloomberg.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hello, shithead. -Mike Bloomberg, 2020

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Hello, shithead. -Mike Bloomberg, 2020

lol bloomberg is biden 2.0

this is going to be hilarious

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
NGL, "please fax it over before the markets close" was genuinely funny.

Not sure if intentional or not, but still, funny.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm an idiot and looking at this at work so can't see the twitter links. Ignore me

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Feb 13, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Peanut Butler posted:

i'm sure the laws are better in california but i've only worked in kansas and this made me lol

Virginia here, and :same:

Unless your boss outright says "I'm firing you because I don't like the color of your skin/who you gently caress/what gender you are", you have no protections whatsoever w/r/t getting fired, getting severance compensation, or even unemployment/food stamps from your $7.25/hr job in an at-will state.

My "favorite" story is: I got fired once for attempting suicide and going to the hospital instead of showing up for work. My husband worked at the same place and got written up for abandoning his position to drive me to the hospital when I called him for help.

God Bless America.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Virginia here, and :same:

Unless your boss outright says "I'm firing you because I don't like the color of your skin/who you gently caress/what gender you are", you have no protections whatsoever w/r/t getting fired, getting severance compensation, or even unemployment/food stamps from your $7.25/hr job in an at-will state.

My "favorite" story is: I got fired once for attempting suicide and going to the hospital instead of showing up for work. My husband worked at the same place and got written up for abandoning his position to drive me to the hospital when I called him for help.

God Bless America.

This is how it is everywhere in America as far as I know. The standards of evidence are quite strict for protected classes, so you need either the boss to outright say he's firing you because you're of a protected class that he hates or have a provable history of discrimination (such as using racial slurs) that can establish a precedent for such behavior. If you're in an at-will employment state and have none of that, you can be kicked out with no warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/oneunited/status/1228000136867045376?s=21

Just in case