Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

oh thats really weird, on macos it works fine over the built in bluetooth
yea it's really dumb. i'm hoping sony will change this when PS5 comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh that Crash racing game everyone likes came out last year. That probably should’ve won

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dirt Rally 2.0 came out last year

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i wonder if its a windows thing? like you cant even use a ds4 on pc properly without using either steam or ds4windows because microsoft moved to xinput so everyone elses pads wouldnt work, but on macos the ds3 and 4 both connect and work out of the box with no issues. looks like people have got it to "work" but it cant use the touchpad because it involves going through xinput which only has xbox one controls and nothing else. might be that with how windows handles pads it means you need a cable or a specific dongle to allow use of their own driver to sidestep windows built in handling or something

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

seems like most games these days just come with the sony dlls to make ds4s work on pc, or use steam input which also supports it natively. i haven't had to use ds4windows on a new game in awhile

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The true sign of a powerful PC dev is if they include the DS4 button icons in the game natively

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

seems like most games these days just come with the sony dlls to make ds4s work on pc, or use steam input which also supports it natively. i haven't had to use ds4windows on a new game in awhile

im pretty sure the native support is just through readding directinput support in right? the same games should work with the switch pro pad too i think. but idk if that maps the touchpad properly and i always use the steam layer so i’ve not tried that out to find out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

i wonder if its a windows thing? like you cant even use a ds4 on pc properly without using either steam or ds4windows because microsoft moved to xinput so everyone elses pads wouldnt work, but on macos the ds3 and 4 both connect and work out of the box with no issues. looks like people have got it to "work" but it cant use the touchpad because it involves going through xinput which only has xbox one controls and nothing else. might be that with how windows handles pads it means you need a cable or a specific dongle to allow use of their own driver to sidestep windows built in handling or something
from what i've seen, people spoof the DS4 controller through something called vigem, or something like that, to use Remote Play. there's a lot of steps involved and i'm lazy... but i'll do it eventually, unless sony decides to patch the remote play software to allow xinput-- I know that other controllers don't have the touchpad but it still seems like a petty decision to not support xinput. have remapping so you can set up a macro or something.. or if you use the steam controller maybe map it to the back paddles

the back paddles are good btw and i'm glad that that will be a new standard for next gen

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 14, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dark Souls movie looking legit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytjArcvA_Bo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

Dirt Rally 2.0 came out last year

That game sucks though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking forward to this movie quite a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

That game sucks though.

How so? :confused:

I guess it's a bit light on content but what content there is is great

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

from what i've seen, people spoof the DS4 controller through something called vigem, or something like that, to use Remote Play. there's a lot of steps involved and i'm lazy... but i'll do it eventually, unless sony decides to patch the remote play software to allow xinput-- I know that other controllers don't have the touchpad but it still seems like a petty decision to not support xinput. have remapping so you can set up a macro or something.. or if you use the steam controller maybe map it to the back paddles

the back paddles are good btw and i'm glad that that will be a new standard for next gen

afaik the switch pro and steam controller also don’t have xinput. it’s only xbox pads that do and i think that’s by design

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

i have two different DS4s and both have broken micro-USB cables. or the ports broke. again i don't know which. because what else even uses micro-usb. i just know that it ends up becoming extremely fiddly/loose and disconnects frequently, which is bad if you're doing Remote Play, a thing that already has some input lag

I'm my experience that's usually the cord. The little metal hooks on the micro usb get pushed inwards and they're what holds it in place.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The problem is that the DS4 angles down when it’s on a table putting pressure on the flimsy Micro USB cable

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

How so? :confused:

I guess it's a bit light on content but what content there is is great

The driving mechanics were completely wrong. The game felt so stiff and unresponsive to me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Only if you think award shows are good.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's everyone playing to celebrate valentine's day

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Daemon X Machina, there is a dog with a prosthetic leg that follows you around in your anime mech hanger bay. But you cant pet it. :/ Also playing Granblue Fantasy Versus.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

More Iceborne

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Seeing Sonic. Here's an exclusive scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMC0uZY2iH0&t=775s

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Help Im Alive posted:

I’m gong to try Megaman Star Force 3 since that’s supposed to be “the good one”. Star Force is the one Mega Man sub series that does nothing for me, the first two were just Battle Network games with worse writing and a worse battle system. I’ll give this one a couple of hours.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Official_AIAS/status/1228183783532191746

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Only if you think award shows are good.

Everyone learned that award shows were a sham back in 2005/2006 when RE4 wasn't nominated for anything because Capcom didn't actually belong to the AIAS at that time. Like they didn't care to pay the dues or something.

https://twitter.com/house_house_/status/1228216844185563137

Also I totally forgot there was a three year chunk where each of the three "B's" won GOTY here. And it's even worse in retrospect when you read about how Inquisition winning just made things for Bioware worse in the long run because the awards were just a reinforcement of sorts that the Bioware Magic could always come through in the end.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am playing dreams now that the full version is out

the story game that Mm made for the full release (Art's Dream) is visually stunning, maybe one of the nicest looking things i've seen on PS4 from a 'stylistic' perspective. it looks phenomenal

seems like they wanted to show off what the engine could do so it switches genres constantly. starts off just poking and prodding with the cursor, then is briefly a platformer with action combat, then it's briefly a point n click adventure, currently it's a puzzle platformer with a double jump

i should also say that the jumping in the puzzle platformer part is NOT FLOATY. incredibly, media molecule has learned not floaty jumping

i also played some of the top user-made games and the UI skills of the community have risen dramatically. there was a game called art therapy with a very stylish UI and final tally screen

someone has made a Forager clone called Scavenger which has most of the same mechanics

there's a turn-based JRPG where you're a puppet-looking doll, and it uses the same font Vita RPGs use....

a dark souls style game with zelda-style targetting

a game with a sloth that is a lot like Toad Treasure Tracker

some pretty great stuff

e: biggest issue i've encountered is there seems to be perceptible input lag.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 14, 2020

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Help Im Alive posted:

https://twitter.com/SecksWrecks/status/1228179038205669379?s=19

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

hatty posted:

Oh that Crash racing game everyone likes came out last year. That probably should’ve won

Eh at that point you're just exchanging one badly monetized game for another

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

man that was really something

it wasn't as good of a 'game' as tearaway's campaign but it was a ridiculous visual treat

i have no idea how they composed the music inside of dreams (obviously you can record stuff, but they still had to put it all together in dreams) or how they handled the final autoscroller level with all the quick-changes between characters

final song is great too (spoilers i guess). beautiful graphic design and use of negative space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwxAEuovkg

i just wish the character animation was better but it seems like that's the one thing dreams has trouble with

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

The aptly-named Christine Love's Digital/Analogue/Hate+ trilogy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The 7th Guest posted:

man that was really something

it wasn't as good of a 'game' as tearaway's campaign but it was a ridiculous visual treat

i have no idea how they composed the music inside of dreams (obviously you can record stuff, but they still had to put it all together in dreams) or how they handled the final autoscroller level with all the quick-changes between characters

final song is great too (spoilers i guess). beautiful graphic design and use of negative space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwxAEuovkg

i just wish the character animation was better but it seems like that's the one thing dreams has trouble with

How long did it take to get through? Early impressions I saw indicated it's nowhere near as much of a "game" as the LBP campaign.

As a non creative who really enjoys the stuff MM makes with their own tools I'd love to be able to justify throwing down cash for this - but if the main event is two hours long it'd be a struggle.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh yeah it's only 2 hours. if that's a dealbreaker for you then wait for a sale

they might be making more story campaigns in the future but this is the only one available currently, and then they have a lot of little 5-10 minute games that demonstrate the tools

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

redreader posted:

I just looked it up. Pillars of eternity was so unenjoyable. Surely it wasn't made by obsidian! *checks internet* Oh. Huh. Did I change or did they change?

mandela effect

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I enjoyed pillars of eternity but I didn't beat it and I don't know how far I got. I'm assuming not very far at all since it certainly didn't feel like I'd made it all that far into the game.

The worst thing about it to me though was how they handled the prologue party members imo :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think I would give Dreams a try. I might have fun trying to make a Flash game with cool forensic detective work :D

Also they need to rerelease Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance so I can play through it again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PoE had a great story, world and characters. The combat and dialogue were so dull that I tapped out after 10 hours though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

stev posted:

PoE had a great story, world and characters.

Ehhh

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I enjoyed pillars of eternity but I didn't beat it and I don't know how far I got. I'm assuming not very far at all since it certainly didn't feel like I'd made it all that far into the game.

The worst thing about it to me though was how they handled the prologue party members imo :(

Same, I just sort of closed it and didn’t open it back up again. I think I had just arrived at the castle/home base.

I did play through and enjoy the sequel though, so that might be worth trying if it pops up on sale. It’s at least more bright and interesting to look at.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

if you need to get into the Valentine’s Day spirit, you should watch They Came Together (2014) and kick back with a diet cola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a new game out called Monster Viator and my brain keeps calling it something very rude unbidden and Im unhappy