Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I just finished this game too and goddamn it is amazing. I'm glad I took a chance buying it on sale.

The Phasmid reveal was crazy, that was an amazing payoff for walking all over the drat island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I think Im the only person who disliked the phasmid showing up. I think it would have been better if Kim and Cuno didnt acknowledge it and its existence as either being real or a figment of Harry's imagination was left ambiguous.

I also think it diminishes the story of the crytozoologists having it both be real and having Harry discover and photograph it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
that's fair

but on the other hand the cryptozoologists story was really sad, and this made it happier :)

also apparently you can take cuno to the island? how did i miss that? i was on good terms with him and talked to him after the shootout

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

You can only do that if Kim gets shot in the shootout. You can then ask Cuno to be your partner and he'll go to the island.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

ah well now i have mixed feelings about passing that particular skill check

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

I think Im the only person who disliked the phasmid showing up. I think it would have been better if Kim and Cuno didnt acknowledge it and its existence as either being real or a figment of Harry's imagination was left ambiguous.

I also think it diminishes the story of the crytozoologists having it both be real and having Harry discover and photograph it.

While I appreciate the idea, I think it ruins the allegory of the phasmid as hope. It must be real, it must be tangible, for hope is also real.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Dice Awards just happened, DE lost Best RPG to Outer Worlds, but took Best Story.

I imagine it's kind of an odd compromise to make everyone gets something, because it sure wouldn't have worked the other way around.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

While I appreciate the idea, I think it ruins the allegory of the phasmid as hope. It must be real, it must be tangible, for hope is also real.

I agree, Kim also seeing the plasmid is almost as big a moment for him as it is for Harry. It shows his change of perspective since meeting Harry.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

I agree, Kim also seeing the plasmid is almost as big a moment for him as it is for Harry. It shows his change of perspective since meeting Harry.

I just think it better suits the game's narrative that, of course Harry believes it to be true, but maybe its better to be ambiguous. For this reason, I like Cuno version since he doesnt have a camera and is known to also indulge in fantasy. Harry, Cuno and the cryptozoologists can be shown to believe in it (also as a symbol of hope) but someone like Kim would just need to take a leap of faith and choose to believe (or not) the other unreliable characters.

Also, adds to the ambiguity of whether the Deserter killed the merc because of the pheromones or not.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The thing is that adds nothing to the narrative. Literally nothing. And you should never blow your climax on something that doesn't confront what you've spent your time examining.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

Dice Awards just happened, DE lost Best RPG to Outer Worlds, but took Best Story.

I imagine it's kind of an odd compromise to make everyone gets something, because it sure wouldn't have worked the other way around.

What an awful game that was, I got it with the $1 pass and still feel ripped off. I couldn't bring myself to finish it, I checked out after getting all the characters.

What made it even worse was this just happened to be the next game I played so I got like a direct comparison of the writing quality, lol

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, I agree. I LIKED Outer Worlds, and the writing was a step above the usual 3D Fallout wanna be but man was that the wrong choice.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I did some more thinking after a good night's sleep and there are two things that I wonder about on my next play through.

1. Is there a way to get your gun back without helping Evert? Also in my previous game The Pigs made me sad because I got all the Hardy Boys killed. :smith: I hope they were able to help her out before they all died.

2. I never found another piece of the merc's armor at all. Where is the little girl down the coast? I never saw her. I presume something happens during the potential shootout if you have all the armor pieces.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

OGS-Remix posted:

I did some more thinking after a good night's sleep and there are two things that I wonder about on my next play through.

1. Is there a way to get your gun back without helping Evert? Also in my previous game The Pigs made me sad because I got all the Hardy Boys killed. :smith: I hope they were able to help her out before they all died.

2. I never found another piece of the merc's armor at all. Where is the little girl down the coast? I never saw her. I presume something happens during the potential shootout if you have all the armor pieces.

1. No idea. I never found an alternative solution to that one.

2. First piece is the legs on the dead body. The second piece, the gloves, are buried in a sandcastle by the little girl in the left shack above where the Lillienne's twins are playing (you have to talk to her and I think there is a dice roll). Third piece is on Gary the Cryptofascist and requires a perception check. The fourth piece (the helmet) is on the anti-aircraft island, given by the phasmid.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

OGS-Remix posted:

It's impossible to get the entire suit by the shootout, as the helmet is found on the island later on. The only effect AFAIK is that having the breastplate makes getting shot work out better? The mercs wont even comment you wearing their dead bro's gear

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OGS-Remix posted:

1. No, mr. Evrart is the only one who can help you find your gun

2. I’m assuming the armour piece you found was the boots since it’s pretty obvious, so the others:
Chest: Gary is wearing it under his clothes - I believe you have to pass a perception check to hear it clinking when talking to him and you can press him about it to get him to give it up. Once you finish the cryptozoologist sidequest and he leaves he will take it with him so you have to do it before then.
Gloves: Talk to Lily inside the house in the fishing village that’s just next to the twins playing outside. No checks are needed for this one, you just have to ask her about it and she’ll tell you where she put it.
Helmet: you can’t get this until after the shootout. You’ll find it in the phasmid nest on the island

For the shootout itself, something will change if you’re wearing the chest piece. I don’t think the others matter.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

OGS-Remix posted:

1. if you want to get YOUR gun back, working for Evart is the only way; the character who has your gun will only appear in the game when summoned by Evart after you finish his tasks. That being said, you don't have to actually HELP him, you get a couple ways to sabotage whatever tasks he gives you if you so choose. On the other hand, you can take Ruby's gun if she kills herself, you monster.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

1. Technically, you don't have to help Evrart. He has to think you helped him, and you can mess up his plan. Just do it where he can't see.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The meeting at the end has some comments if you're wearing the full armor suit like I was, collecting enough pieces unlocks a thought that gives you a big bonus to the shootout, and wearing the breastplate saves your life even if you get shot by someone

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Glagha posted:

Yeah, I agree. I LIKED Outer Worlds, and the writing was a step above the usual 3D Fallout wanna be but man was that the wrong choice.

Yea I liked Outer Worlds too, but wow it made so little impact once I finished it. I don't even think its writing was particularly good. There weren't any surprises or twists. Everything was what it was on the surface. Capitalism bad, that was about it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

What an awful game that was, I got it with the $1 pass and still feel ripped off. I couldn't bring myself to finish it, I checked out after getting all the characters.

What made it even worse was this just happened to be the next game I played so I got like a direct comparison of the writing quality, lol

Glad my gut feeling was right from watching a few bits of people playing it and thinking that their enthusiasm could not possibly be for the flimsy questline and characters that were on the video. It got way too much love as a gently caress you to Bethesda. I dunno why as the missions seem just as mediocre as fallout 4s, maybe because it wasn't a janky piece of poo poo that modders had to fix. Disco Elysium is actually my favorite thing I've even READ let alone played in recent years. I really loved its ending, I really swelled up with joy at it. I felt redeemed and vindicated as the player, and felt that that world was just odd and sad, and full of crazy possibility as the protagonist.

I'd much prefer an indie game with some novelty and heart to it than a highly polished AAA type game. Its not that I don't think bigger devs have no creativity, but you just know that anything really good is going to get hammered into the most formulaic version possible because their teams have a lot more constraints and boxes to check/poo poo to shoehorn in. KC Deliverance couldn't have been made by a big company with shareholders, there's no way its ethos of non hand holding would every fly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Gamedec Preview – Disco Elysium Meets Cyberpunk

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I, for one, welcome our new Discolike overlords

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea but KC Deliverance is a terrible, terrible game that exists purely to appeal to the Mesureheads out there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Nah, it's pretty great, actually and the people who threw woke shitfits about it were the same people who tried to portrayal-is-endorsement DE.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megazver posted:

Nah, it's pretty great, actually and the people who threw woke shitfits about it were the same people who tried to portrayal-is-endorsement DE.

Considering one of the developers is a straight up gamergater and did the whole "I'm sorry you were offended" kind of apology kind of deflates that.

Plus it is a poo poo game. Combat was incredibly unintuitive and unfun. Clunky is the best way to describe the game, maybe people who are super duper sword nerds would enjoy it. Plus your main character looks like Dylan Root and is just such a wiener kid.

Hobocop is such a wonderful mess to play. You can shape him however you want but he still has a distinct personality.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

please no kingdom come deliverance arguments in the disco thread

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1228007469835849729

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

"As one of the first journalists in the world,"

Wow, I'm impressed, how old is this person now, like 500?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

everybody knows Marx was the first journalist, it was probably a reference to him

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

DalaranJ posted:

Finally Kim Pinball Kitsuragi is ready to experiment with amphetamines!

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Mulva posted:

The thing is that adds nothing to the narrative. Literally nothing. And you should never blow your climax on something that doesn't confront what you've spent your time examining.

Mr. Dick would contend that it's nice coda, tying up loose ends is the thematic glue of the end game. Tying up one of the biggest ones, the least expected one, and getting observations on the pale and the world from outside of a human perspective adds immeasurably to the structure and elegance of how the narrative is conveyed.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

when you fail a 97% skill check

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Speaking of which, apparently the result for "Finger On The Eject Button" thought is "Suicidal ideas every evening." What exactly do those entail?

God, just the wording of that thought gives me shivers. Writing on suicide, in games or otherwise, is always really disturbing to me. Which is probably a good thing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

"As one of the first journalists in the world,"

Wow, I'm impressed, how old is this person now, like 500?

The article was originally written in Polish, as far as I can tell, and translated to English. A mistake or two might have slipped in.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xanderkish posted:

Speaking of which, apparently the result for "Finger On The Eject Button" thought is "Suicidal ideas every evening." What exactly do those entail?
You can only get it at the very endgame (just before travelling to the island). I waited until evening and didn't get anything at all. Didn't have the patience to spend another day on this.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Finished a replay of this game, my first was high psy/mot and this was high int/phys

Half light will lead you down some dark loving roads if you let it. I like...naturally fell into ruining people's lives over the phone? Which is one of the good things about this game, that you can fall into doing horrible loving things by just not paying enough attention to the consequences of what you're saying.

edit: I have still never played board games with Kim nor found out about his pinball past because I've always felt awkward about pressing on that.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

stop the loving presses, I am dying here:

https://twitter.com/KapitonovaOlya/status/1228985382253072384

also Disco Elysium is in some awards tonight or something

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Heh I liked how they used the kimono for that picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Just finished, it took me a while to get into the game, but around day 3 I finally "got it" and it hooked me good.

I think my favorite part is that you start out thinking your a terrible terrible cop who got assigned to the case to mess everything up so each precinct wouldn't actually have to take responsibility in the area, then it slowly comes out that you're actually a really god drat good detective, just a horrible drunk. And this mostly comes out with Kim sloooowly going from annoyed at your antics to appreciating them. :unsmith:

Also at the end just before the insect showed up, with the perception check of "It's like a bow being pulled back." I was 1000% convinced that the deserter wasn't alone, and he actually had a partner waiting to ambush you and kim.