Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Kantesu posted:

Honestly, the way Kat sees ether stuff kind of seems to confirm what Zimmy's saying. She tends to see things as what they do, rather than what they present themselves as. It's less that she can't see ether stuff as she forces it to be something understandable, despite its own best efforts.

Her dealing with the eyeball and tapes in the ROTD are some of my favourite pages.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1314

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

catapede posted:

Her dealing with the eyeball and tapes in the ROTD are some of my favourite pages.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1314

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1345

Gah, I forgot what an emotional punch those pages packed.

God, Mort forgetting her name...

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

We’re all very impressed Zimmy but this doesn’t really get us anywhere.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This all makes a lot of sense Zimmy. Amazing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This explanation explains nothing, which I guess is the point.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I kind of want to see a coyotified Zimmy now.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Basically it's stuff powered by being mysterious.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Noticed Gamma started snoozing a few pages ago.
During all the gamma talk earlier I forgot Annie can also act as a heatsink. Double annies probably helps a lot.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rannum posted:

Noticed Gamma started snoozing a few pages ago.
During all the gamma talk earlier I forgot Annie can also act as a heatsink. Double annies probably helps a lot.

Well, yeah, that was directly referenced on this page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2255

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, yeah, that was directly referenced on this page: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2255

guess I saw "we got time" and didn't bother reading the rest
the dangers of skim reading

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
If I'm understanding Zimmy's viewpoint.

From the viewpoint of science, anything that can't be explained, aka "magic", is just the unknown just waiting to be explained. The pursuit of this, "man's endeavour to be God", forms the basis of the Court.

According to Zimmy though, what makes magic, "magic", is that an explanation might not ever exist for these phenomena.

From that perspective, what's eating Kat up inside is a fundamental incompatibility with her worldview that she might not ever be able to "set things straight" with the two Annies situation. Moreover, even if she were able to figure it out, she might not like the actual answer (since both Annies don't belong to this timeline, she might end up losing her best friend).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah that kinda makes sense.

Annie's wrong that anything that science can't explain should just be called "magic". Kat is right that none of it is magic, but wrong that much of it will ever have a scientific explanation.

But when it's a literal, existing god like Coyote using it... Can you really call it magic anymore? It's seemingly part of the natural order of things. Calling it "magic" suggests it's not. But you also have an actual god right there, so... Clearly science isn't the perfect system either.

I can see why the court refuses to use the term magic (and why they're frustrated by it and prefer scientific methods). They probably came to a similar conclusion to the one Zimmy came to.

In the end though it really depends what you mean when you say "magic". It's very much a semantic argument happening here, although those are important, as it could change Annie's and Kat's thinking about the nature of these powers and open up new breakthroughs. Annie is allowing herself to think of magic vs tech as very different things, and Kat is allowing herself to think of them as (potentially) completely compatible things, and neither is (probably) quite right.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I get the impression that "Etheric science" has its own variant of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle: an etheric phenomenon can be either exploited or explained, but not both.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
A wizard did it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cat Mattress posted:

I get the impression that "Etheric science" has its own variant of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle: an etheric phenomenon can be either exploited or explained, but not both.

I was gonna say something similar. Sort of like pulling the curtain back on a magic trick.

If you take it as is, then it's a legitimate magical/unnatural phenomenon. The dude is flying, he summoned a rabbit from nowhere, he actually cut his assistant in half... It's not a trick, it's an actual thing, even if it seems impossible. The unknown has no rules or restrictions, it can do incredible things, because there's no reason why it can't.

but when you start looking into it, you start seeing the wires and hidden pockets and whatnot. Were they always there? Sort of, in the sense that they were retroactively always there from the moment you started looking. The more pieces you fill in on the puzzle of "how things are", the less room there is for the unknown, and the more reasons why it can't do crazy things.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I honestly wasn't ready to see Broken Tony again, especially presented like that. It throws into extremely stark relieve where he was and where he is now.

The dude hosed himself up bad.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Warmachine posted:

I honestly wasn't ready to see Broken Tony again, especially presented like that. It throws into extremely stark relieve where he was and where he is now.

The dude hosed himself up bad.

And it looks like Kat is about to throw herself down that same path.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Kat is gonna use the Ether to connect all the robots stuck in barrier mode.
A Cloud via Ether.
An Ethernet.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Kikas posted:

Kat is gonna use the Ether to connect all the robots stuck in barrier mode.
A Cloud via Ether.
An Ethernet.

Booooooooooo!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Really liking that art in the first panel! And I assume the person in the last panel is... Juliette?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Coxswain Balls posted:

And it looks like Kat is about to throw herself down that same path.

Eh, I don't think she is going Tony, I think it is more Kat is a nascent Goddess and is going to start accidentally doing minor miracles and it is gonna piss her off the first few times she does something that breaks the laws of thermodynamics.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Hempuli posted:

Really liking that art in the first panel! And I assume the person in the last panel is... Juliette?

The original engraving is such :krad: imagery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flammarion_engraving

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yak of Wrath posted:

Eh, I don't think she is going Tony, I think it is more Kat is a nascent Goddess and is going to start accidentally doing minor miracles and it is gonna piss her off the first few times she does something that breaks the laws of thermodynamics.

Lol like she's not already doing things that are basically miracles

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol like she's not already doing things that are basically miracles
That was a protein experiment! Proteins!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Yak of Wrath posted:

She's going to be pissed because she perceives herself doing something mundane and too obvious to be worth explaining, and everyone else is going to perceive her rearranging reality like it ain't no thang.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

IMJack posted:

She's going to be pissed because she perceives herself doing something mundane and too obvious to be worth explaining, and everyone else is going to perceive her rearranging reality like it ain't no thang.

This literally happened in the arc where they visit the realm of the dead

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Also when she freed Jeanne's lover. Don't forget that the trap device looked like an impossible maze to Annie and the elf but Kat perceived it as a set of handcuffs with a basic lever lock that Annie could talk her through picking.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Yes, Kat, conjure up an altar for your extremely not-ritualistic event.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Now comes the time that no one gets to forget these words: "Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

You enjoy literally making your cult following, Kat.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Kat looks a little tired. :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kat should hurry up and initiate the Human Instrumentality Project, imo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You mean the Instrumentality of Mankind project.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

gunnerkrigg down, gunnerkrigg down, gunnerkrigg dooown

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
You can't have End of Evangelion because Tony doesn't have a Ritsuko to hear his line.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cat Mattress posted:

You mean the Instrumentality of Mankind project.

I don't think even the Court could handle Mick Foley

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I don't think even the Court could handle Mick Foley

Dude Love, maybe if the have mercy.
Cactus Jack, probably if they can handle the truth and consequences.
No way can they handle Mankind.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Glad I wasn't the only one getting big "Gendo receiving the Adam embryo" vibes from this scene.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

oi, big nose!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The first time a transfer happened Kat let Arthur design his body. I wonder if these are getting a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think we’re approaching the endgame here. The old robots are either going to be amazed by Kat’s new bio-body design or they’re going to freak the gently caress out. Either way I think we’re gonna see the robots finally become etherically active and it’s going to blow up the courts god machine.