Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Holy poo poo this. My middle management would literally rather pay people more than every allow them to work from home, even though we’re all given laptops and we just do data analysis or stuff like that.
Middle managers know drat well that they wouldn't get paid as well and would have to work way harder if all of their employees were scattered and actually feeling relatively fulfilled, so yeah of course they're gonna fight that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Rock may be dead, but
You can't kill the metal
The metal will live on

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Antigravitas posted:

Rock may be dead, but
You can't kill the metal
The metal will live on

In Finland

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Solkanar512 posted:

I would actually be motivated to get more work done if I were allowed to avoid Friday afternoon traffic and sit in my yard in the summer instead.

Yeah there’s some weird division between being seen as working and getting work done.

I’m sure a lot of those people too would see how 40% of time for people with 9-5 is “wasted” and complain they’re not working rather than notice now the hours themselves are becoming outdated

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Robo Reagan posted:

go to any estate sale. any collection besides nice dinnerware is sold in huge boxes for 5 bucks for everything

go on the last day of the sale and that craps a dollar. come when theyre almost done for the day and its free

Even the nice dinnerware makes it to the boxes now. Nobody under 50 wants plates you have to hand wash and only use once a year.

I knew someone that used fine china as their everyday plates thanks to this. They'd throw em in the dishwasher and generally just not pamper the stuff then when the plates started to get chipped and the painting started to flake they'd go to the last hours of an estate sale or two and get an entirely new set of plates for $2.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
weird it's almost like capitalism is a bullshit scam designed to distract us while oligarchs ruin everything

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Corelle ware or nothing :colbert:

That poo poo will take a beating for decades before they finally give up the ghost and turn into 100,000 tiny shards.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

weird it's almost like capitalism is a bullshit scam designed to distract us while oligarchs ruin everything

Every time a new silver deposit was discovered in the Us and a silver rush happened silver table service sets suddenly sprouted a bunch more "must have!" things. It was either convince thousands of housewives to buy useless poo poo to soak up the supply or have prices go down so they went with the former.

:capitalism:

Iron Crowned posted:

Corelle ware or nothing :colbert:

That poo poo will take a beating for decades before they finally give up the ghost and turn into 100,000 tiny shards.

Truth. I just bought my parents a new set to replace their set because it was getting a bit rough around the edges of the plates (literally, the glass was just getting bumpy in an unpleasant way). Their set was over 30 years old.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 14, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
imagining a housewife stalking a parlor in a twenty ton skirt and steel-clad corset, red-faced and furious about the possibility that the Queen would come by and judge them harshly for not having a full suite of Sterling Hardboiled Egg Ovipositors.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

My workplace "believes in working from work", thus radiating massive amounts of Boomer Energy in the process.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shifty Pony posted:

Every time a new silver deposit was discovered in the Us and a silver rush happened silver table service sets suddenly sprouted a bunch more "must have!" things. It was either convince thousands of housewives to buy useless poo poo to soak up the supply or have prices go down so they went with the former.

Prior to the invention of stainless steel, silver was the best bet for dinnerware. One of the big pluses it had over other materials at the time is that it has antiseptic properties.

It was also the material used for mirrors prior to being able to harness aluminum to a mirror finish like we do now. I also suspect that's a factor in why vampires cast no reflection in mirrors.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Batterypowered7 posted:

My workplace "believes in working from work", thus radiating massive amounts of Boomer Energy in the process.

Just hope it isn't ionising. Though considering that phrasing, it probably is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Chunks of bootstraps are on the roof but your boss is calling you a liar about what you saw because the best practices guidelines couldnt allow this to happen.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The last rock band I heard of going mainstream was Greta Van Fleet and they are boomer as gently caress.

Every age group has their own music, which is good. I'm always excited to hear what younger generations are making, even if it isn't my thing because it rightfully isn't made for middle aged art punk fans, because music should evolve and mutate. YouTube composer and Ur-boomer Rick Beato put out a video asking if blues based rock was dead, and gently caress I hope it is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pitchfork of all places had the absolute right take on them. Here are the best burns:

quote:

Greta Van Fleet sound like they did weed exactly once, called the cops, and tried to record a Led Zeppelin album before they arrested themselves. The poor kids from Frankenmuth, Michigan don’t even realize they’re more of an algorithmic fever dream than an actual rock band. While they’re selling out shows all over the world, somewhere in a boardroom, a half-dozen people are figuring out just how, exactly, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are supposed to fit into the SUV with the rest of the Greta Van Fleet boys on “Carpool Karaoke.”

quote:

They are a new kind of vampiric band who’s there to catch the runoff of original classic rock using streaming services’ data-driven business model. Greta Van Fleet exist to be swallowed into the algorithm’s churn and rack up plays, of which they already have hundreds of millions. They make music that sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin and demand very little other than forgetting how good Led Zeppelin often were.

quote:

It’s possible to be an exceptional classic rock vampire act but it requires something more than the major label money and vaguely Native American accoutrements. It’s why Greta Van Fleet can’t compete with, say, the Darkness circa 2003’s “I Believe in a Thing Called Love.” The Darkness—who aped big rock warhorses like Queen and Aerosmith and Van Halen—were so outrageous that they had to be credulous. They had a song that went, “Get your hands off of my woman, mother fucker” and did a power metal cover of Radiohead’s “Street Spirit (Fade Out).” Who would do such garish things? They dared you, tongue in cheek, to take this impossibly foolish thing very seriously.

Greta Van Fleet do no such thing. They care so deeply and are so precious with their half-baked boomer fetishism, they mollycoddled every impulse of late-’60s rock‘n’roll into an interminable 49-minute drag.

quote:

What they lack in self-awareness they more than make up for in rigid self-consciousness, failing to make any fun or campy choices to lift these songs out of a morass of the worst impulses of Rush and Cream.

quote:

None of this lysergic-sexual thinking is within the band’s grasp, they are just swatting at crusty platitudes and copy-pasting old mythos hoping no one notices that they are too small, too inept to even put forth one meaningful, specific, original idea.

But for as retro as Anthem of the Peaceful Army may seem, in actuality, it is the future. It’s proof of concept that in the streaming and algorithm economy, a band doesn’t need to really capture the past, it just needs to come close enough so that a computer can assign it to its definite article. The more unique it sounds, the less chance it has to be placed alongside what you already love. So when the Greta Van Fleet of your favorite artist finally lands on your morning playlist, spark up a bowl of nostalgia and enjoy the self-satisfied buzz of recognizing something you already know. It’s the cheapest high in music.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Pitchfork of all places had the absolute right take on them. Here are the best burns:

lol drat

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

“The New Day” features Josh singing about watching a child grow in a garden, seeing her bloom so she can “be a woman soon.” None of this lysergic-sexual thinking is within the band’s grasp, they are just swatting at crusty platitudes and copy-pasting old mythos hoping no one notices that they are too small, too inept to even put forth one meaningful, specific, original idea.

:staredog:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

QOTSA are the last good rock band

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Does geek poo poo count? Cus, like, The Protomen still exist.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Hearing this would make me want to unionize the place out of loving spite.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I once listened to both rock AND roll but not at the same time

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Neito posted:

Does geek poo poo count? Cus, like, The Protomen still exist.
Love The Protomen (saw 'em in Philly last year*), but their last album was five years ago and it was all cover songs. Call me when Act III drops

*We were massively outnumbered by TWRP's fans

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you want rock from a band that isn't decades old already that is at all worth listening too, you pretty much have to listen to groups from outside of the US. Or just listen to metal.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Or the pro move: listen to metal from outside the US

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

What's really confusing to me is that all those songs are from the last 5 years, as if 2010-2015 never existed.

"Ho Hey" by the Lumineers is from like 2012 or so and also the only tolerable song on that list.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Good music is so localized nowadays. It's stupid to say rock n roll is dead. Some say hip hop is dead, that is stupid too. The reason 60's/70's rock music has such a golden aura around it is because for the most part, the artists were doing as they pleased. Frank Zappa had a great observation about how in the early 60's, there were these old farts running things who just kinda threw their hands up and went "ehhh if that's what the kids want! here's your studio, your paycheck, I've got a happy hour I've never missed, cya!"

Now music is controlled, we can feel it deep down that the only reason anything is getting national attention is because a group of capitalists decided that was what was appropriate for us all to hear.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
just get spotify theres a trillion amateur bands on it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also, the Boomer is coming from inside the thread because "The music today sucks" is strong Boomer energy.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Sunflower Bean.
Tame Impala.
Wolf People.
The Amazing.
Goat Girl.
Lady Lamb.

I don’t even listen to Rock that much and I could name those off the top of my head. Whenever someone says there’s absolutely no good new Rock anymore I have to wonder if they even looked around.

In other words:

PostNouveau posted:

Also, the Boomer is coming from inside the thread because "The music today sucks" is strong Boomer energy.

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 14, 2020

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

billie eilish

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

We can at least all agree that Imagine Dragons is terrible music procedurally generated to be used in commercials

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ditching rock is about as anti boomer as it gets, don't get mad

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PostNouveau posted:

Makes me wonder what kind of poo poo zoomers are going to say about millenials in twenty years.

We'll probably get blamed for all the poo poo boomers did :shepicide:

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

I love how Van Halen channeled extremely not-Boomer energy when talking about this:

https://twitter.com/wolfvanhalen/status/1201563255648477185?s=21

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Makes me wonder what kind of poo poo zoomers are going to say about millenials in twenty years.

every millennial i know is an alcohlic or alt right with very little inetween. if nothing else mils will be blamed for not doing anytbing to stop them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Christ, half of those are barely even rock in my opinion, more like indie nonsense.

I'd never claim there's no good rock, but the most popular stuff has taken a nosedive. Forces you to have to look and it can be hard to find amongst the multitudes.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Panfilo posted:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i really miss the days of uhh whitesnake and foreigner mysic these days has no soul

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

Christ, half of those are barely even rock in my opinion, more like indie nonsense.

I'd never claim there's no good rock, but the most popular stuff has taken a nosedive. Forces you to have to look and it can be hard to find amongst the multitudes.

ok boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Robo Reagan posted:

every millennial i know is an alcohlic or alt right with very little inetween. if nothing else mils will be blamed for not doing anytbing to stop them

Lol you need better friends dude