Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

jokes posted:

I love that the black headcrabs in HL2 can’t kill you. They bring you to 1 and then you get the health back (all?). But I never learned that while playing it, I just thought i was lucking out or whatever. Learning about them later was what made me loving LOVE those bad boys. That and swatting one mid-jump with the crowbar.

The triumph of the black headcrabs is their scarcity and intensity of use, and the loving sound they make when they rattle and jump. Tremendous sound design, they're so fuckin' scary, and they're always placed in the most surprising spots, and used sparingly.

Also I've evangalized Mad Max many times here over the years, glad to hear people have played it! I've always wondered if they had access to george millers notes about the world, there is so much specific lore in that game that seamlessly ties into the movies, it seems very well-considered. There is a lot of love for the details of that universe in that game, sure wish we would have gotten a sequel.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

God, I can't wait for Half Life: Alyx to wrestle head crabs off my face and punch my tv in the process.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

sure wish we would have gotten a sequel.

well, we're gonna get another movie so, never give up hope!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TontoCorazon posted:

God, I can't wait for Half Life: Alyx to wrestle head crabs off my face and punch my tv in the process.

I played around with a crowbar in Boneworks the other day and if the game's just that level of constant comical ineptness but with headcrabs, I'm sold.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

boar guy posted:

well, we're gonna get another movie so, never give up hope!

This is the best thing to happen to me in 2020.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

This is the best thing to happen to me in 2020.

:tipshat: happy to help

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Huh, thanks, I'll take a look. I think I was very much tired of open world games when it came out, but I could really go for it now.

You might also enjoy Metro Exodus, since halfway through that game you get a van. Granted, you're not alone, you're part of a group trying to find a safe haven so it's not a fully solitary experience like HL2.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

RareAcumen posted:

You might also enjoy Metro Exodus, since halfway through that game you get a van. Granted, you're not alone, you're part of a group trying to find a safe haven so it's not a fully solitary experience like HL2.

I loved the first Metro game but never continued with the series. The isolation isn't such an important factor to me, so I think I'd really like it, thanks for the recommendation!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Half-Life 2 chat got me thinking about this fantastically creepy, mournful little tune that plays in the short map after you finally exit Ravenholm but before you get the buggy. There's a typical little Valve-ism in that map, too - the first sniper you meet is facing the opposite direction from you towards a set of zombies, so you can see how the snipers work without being in danger. They do much the same thing with turrets and (kind of) striders later on.

edit: this is the correct link, but i'm leaving the old one in

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Feb 11, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

drat, i wish valve made more games

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

StandardVC10 posted:

Half-Life 2 chat got me thinking about this fantastically creepy, mournful little tune that plays in the short map after you finally exit Ravenholm but before you get the buggy. There's a typical little Valve-ism in that map, too - the first sniper you meet is facing the opposite direction from you towards a set of zombies, so you can see how the snipers work without being in danger. They do much the same thing with turrets and (kind of) striders later on.

*leaves Ravenholm*
*sees cheerful upbeat girl talking earnestly about dealing with her problems with Williams syndrome in a way that is both sad and uplifting*

to be fair, seeing happy people is a bit terrifying for your average game-player

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think your link goes to something other than what you meant it to.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's still a great link and needs to be watched. :unsmith:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
gently caress MY POSTING SHAME SHALL ENDURE FOR EVER

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RareAcumen posted:

It's an incredibly lovely van tho, which you'll note once you enter it and look at the steering wheel. If you didn't kill it's owner you can later find out he is basically the right hand of the local warlord, so it must have been one of the better vehicles in their garage too.

But I don't think you get to use the vehicle that much that it warrants thinking Metro Exodus has the same appeal as Mad Max.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

StandardVC10 posted:

gently caress MY POSTING SHAME SHALL ENDURE FOR EVER

Yes now post the mournful little tune

edit: gently caress MY POSTING ALSO

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Of all the versions of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, I've been playing the Gameboy Colour version via emulator for the hell of it. It's surprisingly in depth, having all of the same puzzles as the PC/N64 version (of which the only experience I had was watching an abandoned LP of it). It has all the trappings of a Tomb Raider clone, just in a 2d 3/4 perspective, and while it is really slow to play exploring is kind of fun.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
All this talk of mad max makes me want to give it another shot. I tried hard to like the game, but i barely got 15 hours in before i found all the content to be too repetitive. Is there any secrets to enjoying the moment to moment gameplay? Skip the camps?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My advice is, take it slowly and stick to doing things that are on the way to wherever you're going. The game will eventually send you pretty much everywhere, so there's no need to go out of your way stomping camp after camp unless the reward is something you really want for your car or your Max. The story is surprisingly lengthy so you have time.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lechtansi posted:

All this talk of mad max makes me want to give it another shot. I tried hard to like the game, but i barely got 15 hours in before i found all the content to be too repetitive. Is there any secrets to enjoying the moment to moment gameplay? Skip the camps?

15 hours before a game feels repetitive sounds pretty good going to me.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Steam review: mad max | playtime: 143 hours | not recommended

The game was quite fun but after playing roughly 89 hours side quests and characters have gotten repetitive and I don't feel myself drawn to the world anymore.

The author has received this item for free for review purposes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played a few hours and got really bored. The big sandstorms were really fun but otherwise my interest dropped off very quickly, and I can usually get absorbed by games like that more than I really intend to. It's essentially a modern Ubisoft game, I guess

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

It's an incredibly lovely van tho, which you'll note once you enter it and look at the steering wheel. If you didn't kill it's owner you can later find out he is basically the right hand of the local warlord, so it must have been one of the better vehicles in their garage too.

But I don't think you get to use the vehicle that much that it warrants thinking Metro Exodus has the same appeal as Mad Max.

Yeah, and the game's also an FPS and not a third person brawler. I'm sorry, I dont know what the gently caress is wrong with me, that was a terrible recommendation.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I loved Mad Max and platinumed it and I haven't done that with hardly any open world games this generation, but I smoke a lot of weed and turned the games soundtrack off in favor of the playlist from Brutal Legend, that old metal game made by Doublefine starring Jack Black. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0DD7AFF2F861CA97https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0DD7AFF2F861CA97 Metal and Mad Max go together really well, it they really compliment each other and I'm not that much of a metalhead anymore.

I also did things like never use the thunderpoon as it was too easy, I never equipped any of the armor for max or leveled up at the levledup druid guy past the first forced one, all because the melee combat in the game is quite easy and I like the feeling of needing to be reliable at counters and feeling pressured on health and backup water on camps.

All that being said it's a game that does get repetitive in the base gameplay loop, no question. If you got it cheap and got 15 hours out of it that's probably plenty, I'm just a massive sucker for the entire universe already, my dad is a mechanic and we'd watch the old movies on loops growing up. I liked the incremental upgrading of my car, running around shirtless with a giant beard, and soaking in all the lore. Getting the platinum has quite a lot of weird and very specific stuff you gotta do, like maintain a grind on an enemy vehicle for 5 seconds, or destroying a specific vehicle with a specific vehicle during a storm.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've found another PS2 game that I really like, but I'm terrible at, a racing game called Gumball 3000, basically a kind of cannonball run thing where you race 21 other people, divided into sets of three who compete directly in each race, as you tear across europe. It's very arcadey and fun, but there are a lot of obstacles and I'll need to practice a lot to get good at it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This thread made me start playing half life 2 again and holy wow I forgot how much fun water hazard is

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This thread made me start playing half life 2 again and holy wow I forgot how much fun water hazard is

Is that the airboat section? I heard so much bitching about that at release but I loved it when I played.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is that the airboat section? I heard so much bitching about that at release but I loved it when I played.

Yeah the airboat part. The feeling of driving that drat thing is so viscerally satisfying

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And use of physics objects to enable yourself to RAMP IT! is objectively the best use of physics objects.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Taking down that loving chopper at the end STILL makes me feel all :hellyeah: 16 years later good god

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taking down that loving chopper at the end STILL makes me feel all :hellyeah: 16 years later good god

The RPGs are amazing in HL2. They track forever until they either hit the target or somehow whip back around and explode in your face

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I love that having it dump tons of mines was a glitch that was so awesome they decided to just throw it in.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The RPGs are amazing in HL2. They track forever until they either hit the target or somehow whip back around and explode in your face

Oh I was talking about the chopper you take out with the gun attached to the airboat, but yeah the rpg kicks rear end too

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I love that having it dump tons of mines was a glitch that was so awesome they decided to just throw it in.

What, really? That was great and terrifying and I assumed planned on their part. I love it!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RBA Starblade posted:

Borderlands 3 has a legendary rocket launcher called the Freeman that does exactly this, it's great.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I still remember being stoked about getting the Neighborhood Watch cheevos on Ep2 back in the day.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

skooma512 posted:

I still remember being stoked about getting the Neighborhood Watch cheevos on Ep2 back in the day.

Get Some Grub :shepface:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The rocket gnome is still one of the best achievements ever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One Free Bullet runs are fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

One Free Bullet runs are fun as hell

How do you kill the chopper in water hazard like that?