Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

I live in the middle of Manitoba and my house is not hooked up to natural gas. It’s extremely possible to heat a house without natural gas

Geothermal or electric? I think the reason we can get away with that is because of our extensive hydroelectricity infrastructure. Still, it's proof that it's possible to heat even the coldest places without fossil fuels if some effort is put towards it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

I live in the middle of Manitoba and my house is not hooked up to natural gas. It’s extremely possible to heat a house without natural gas

What's up electric-heat buddy? Even in the coldest days and nights, the coldest rooms in my house are only cool and still comfortable. No furnace of any kind, just some baseboard electric heaters in the living room and in the basement, and good insulation in the walls and windows.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My electricity bill triples in the winter when I turn on the baseboards in my lovely old apartment in the main floor of an old house, so I suggest all future LNG pipelines to go directly to my house, thank you.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z7yGkMFSGc

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

linoleum floors posted:

You don't need to solve the world's energy problems before deciding spending 50 billion dollars to expand fossil fuel resource extraction is a stupid idea.

LNG has done a great job spreading propaganda that this project is going to make China switch from coal to natural gas. It won't. China is in charge of that and us exporting natural gas is not going to make them flick a switch and turn off their coal plants. Natural gas is something they already have abundant access to from Russia and at best all this project will do is lower the price of natural gas slightly which may or may not impact the switch from dirtier sources but most definitely will continue and encourage the use of fossil fuels.

China also started building CANDU6 nuclear plants recently didnt they?

Also this just reminded me that Harper sold the CANDU liscence to SNC-Lavalin.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-
canadian subreddits currently being flooded with anti-protest and anti-FN comments. Probably about a 50/50 split between foreign trolls stoking the flames and misinformed boomer-minded asshats jumping at a chance to be racist.

Either way, the amount of colonial apologist propaganda I've seen over the last few days is disgusting. Tons of articles targeting elderly Canadians, using circular logic like "It's illegal because it's illegal! Canada has a duty to stop this illegality!"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The amount of people on CBC News going ":qq: protests shouldn't inconvenience us, think of the economy!" is dumb

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

How many days can we go without rail freight in Canada before we start noticing?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

China also started building CANDU6 nuclear plants recently didnt they?

Also this just reminded me that Harper sold the CANDU liscence to SNC-Lavalin.

Don't worry, he's not done loving around with the Canadian nuclear sector.

"Terrestrial Energy Appoints the Rt. Hon. Stephen Harper, Canada’s 22nd Prime Minister, to Advisory Board posted:

“In every region of the world, energy consumption is growing. In the years ahead, demand for safe and reliable energy will only be met if we can bring low emissions resources to market in a cost competitive way,” said Mr. Harper.

“Canada is an energy superpower that has a long history of embracing innovation [and then abandoning it, privatizing it, and selling it for pennies].” said Mr. Harper. “Generation IV nuclear technology is an exciting new chapter in this legacy and represents the next frontier of energy development. I am excited to join Terrestrial Energy’s International Advisory Board and look forward to working with their team to deploy this potentially transformative technology.”

I feel like this is an attack on me, personally.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Glimpse posted:

They’ll always have skidoos and those embarrassing 3 wheelers for cowardly biker wanabees.
They spun those out into a separate company; BRP Inc. (Bombardier Recreational Products).

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I'm shocked people are more worried about rail service than coronavirus.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So here's an in-depth look at the issue by the Legal Counsil for the Unist’ot’en, First People's Law.

Arguments dealt with are:
"What about support for the project from the Wet’suwet’en elected Chiefs and Councils?
But aren’t the Indian Act Chiefs and Councils democratically elected?
But what about the ‘rule of law’?
Isn’t this Crown Land?
But what about the Wet’suwet’en not having proven their Aboriginal title in court?"

https://www.firstpeopleslaw.com/index/articles/438.php?fbclid=IwAR01bZJ0-XUPQxjI1lm6y8xhbwKqK1A7ITFM_5JlKMccTrcPt1DrfvftkUc

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Geothermal or electric? I think the reason we can get away with that is because of our extensive hydroelectricity infrastructure. Still, it's proof that it's possible to heat even the coldest places without fossil fuels if some effort is put towards it.

I have an electric furnace, the cost is higher per month then the gas furnace in my old house, but I'm on the Hydro equal payment plan and I've programmed my thermostat to keeps things even.

Randalor posted:

What's up electric-heat buddy? Even in the coldest days and nights, the coldest rooms in my house are only cool and still comfortable. No furnace of any kind, just some baseboard electric heaters in the living room and in the basement, and good insulation in the walls and windows.

This house definitely used to have baseboard heat, but the previous owners ripped them out and put in an electric forced air system.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

EngineerJoe posted:

How many days can we go without rail freight in Canada before we start noticing?

A lot, a very long time

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I <3 CANADIAN HYDRO (please ignore how dams gently caress up waterways)

Yeah I'm full electric, it's fine. I rely on hydro, but understand that it can be supplemented with geothermal, as well as wind and solar, and nuclear for where none of that works. There is no reason to continue using fossil fuels in Canada, except for the support of capitalists.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jehde posted:

I <3 CANADIAN HYDRO

I think I want a bumper sticker of that, red on black, for our EV. I wonder if our rig pig neighbour with the "I <3 Gas & Oil" sign on his driveway would get it?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh thank you for reminding me, I wanted to come mention the bumper stickers I saw on the back of a giant pickup I got stuck behind on my way to work Monday.

"Alberta Oil is why you have the privilege of following me" "Oil is made from life and without it you cant live yours" and the ever so popular "gently caress Liberals" to cap it off. Also a creepy rear end picture of I think Doug Ford driving over top of a cyclist.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Jason Kenney came to my place of work after the elections and he was somehow infinitely worse than the normal run of the mill rich people we cater to, he also looks way stupider and shorter irl

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Albertans have wanted the "eastern bastards to freeze in the dark" for decades but, since Indigenous people may actually make it happen, they're probably super salty about it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/maritime-propane-supply-cn-rail-shutdown-1.5463439

quote:

Indigenous pipeline protests in central Canada have choked off the supply of propane by rail into the Maritimes, leading to rationing and fears of running out of supply.

On Thursday evening, CN Rail, the country's largest railway, announced it was shutting down its entire network east of Toronto because Tyendinaga Mohawk demonstrators near Belleville, Ont., had so far refused to dismantle their blockade.

Up to 85 per cent of propane arrives in the Maritime provinces by railcar and the supply is running out, said Nathalie St. Pierre, president of the Canadian Propane Association.

"You currently have about five days before you're getting pretty close to running out, so that has a significant impact," St. Pierre said after talking with dealers in eastern Canada Thursday afternoon.

"We're talking about thousands of people using propane as their main fuel to heat their homes. We're talking about lots of industries relying on propane, whether they're commercial or institutional businesses and seniors homes. It's getting really critical."

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 14, 2020

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Weird BIAS posted:

So here's an in-depth look at the issue by the Legal Counsil for the Unist’ot’en, First People's Law.

Arguments dealt with are:
"What about support for the project from the Wet’suwet’en elected Chiefs and Councils?
But aren’t the Indian Act Chiefs and Councils democratically elected?
But what about the ‘rule of law’?
Isn’t this Crown Land?
But what about the Wet’suwet’en not having proven their Aboriginal title in court?"

https://www.firstpeopleslaw.com/index/articles/438.php?fbclid=IwAR01bZJ0-XUPQxjI1lm6y8xhbwKqK1A7ITFM_5JlKMccTrcPt1DrfvftkUc

This is really good, thanks.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
CanPol 2020: I suggest all future LNG pipelines to go directly to my house

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm actually very surprised that these CN rail protests are working at all, I kinda assumed that they'd all be killed if they actually tried to do anything more than standing around holding signs and not actually doing anything.

Good for them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My apartment is I think decently insulated so my hydro bill is only like 60$ every 2 months.

I can actually leave my heating off most of the time during the winter, and just wrap myself in a burrito blanket by the computer.

Only rarely does it get cold enough where I'm like, "Well alright then."

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Leofish posted:

Albertans have wanted the "eastern bastards to freeze in the dark" for decades but, since Indigenous people may actually make it happen, they're probably super salty about it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/maritime-propane-supply-cn-rail-shutdown-1.5463439

I live in PEI and heat my house with propane and propane prices went down 5% overnight :tali:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Furnaceface posted:

Oh thank you for reminding me, I wanted to come mention the bumper stickers I saw on the back of a giant pickup I got stuck behind on my way to work Monday.

"Alberta Oil is why you have the privilege of following me" "Oil is made from life and without it you cant live yours" and the ever so popular "gently caress Liberals" to cap it off. Also a creepy rear end picture of I think Doug Ford driving over top of a cyclist.

This is a popular pro-oil talking point and I don't get why people cling to it. Both "yay oil" people and "oil's hosed us" people agree that it's the reason we're in our current situation, and that transitioning off oil will be difficult. I guess the implicit argument is some combination of "you benefit today so ignore the downside" and "better things aren't possible" but nobody seems to say that part out loud.

"gently caress Liberals" well one outta three ain't bad.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Im kinda terrified of the idea of running electric heat after seeing just how bad Wynne hosed over Ontario when it came to finalizing the privatization of hydro and the subsequent massive price hikes that ensued. I know that it was mostly rural customers that had to pay through the nose but urban customers still saw increases.

Not about to switch when Pallister has his eyes on doing the same here.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Raenir Salazar posted:

My apartment is I think decently insulated so my hydro bill is only like 60$ every 2 months.

I can actually leave my heating off most of the time during the winter, and just wrap myself in a burrito blanket by the computer.

Only rarely does it get cold enough where I'm like, "Well alright then."

I pay 40 bucks in the summer a month and 120-140 in winter for a one bedroom apartment. I'm pretty sure I'm getting turbo hosed but anywhere I'd move would would have a rent increase that would offset any savings plus more.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I guess I'll ask the obvious:

Is it possible to for Coastal GasLink to just go around Wet'suwet'en territory to avoid all this and they're just to cheap to do it? Or is it physically impossible?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Really really hard/impossible.

Map of path with some of the first nations areas - Wet'suwet'en is nearest to the end of the line. from: https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.com/news/all-20-first-nations-sign-coastal-gaslink-pipeline-agreement/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Even leaving aside "which FN are where", northern BC has a lot of geography and not a lot of infrastructure. The path from Kitimat to roughly Burns Lake is just about the only path you can take out of Kitimat while avoiding having to cross a Lot of bodies of water.

e: gross

https://twitter.com/MacleanKay/status/1228350461658296320

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 14, 2020

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All my fellow government workers get the day off today but the protesters don't know about my building (which is full of incredibly relevant provincial gov targets but they're unlisted) so I gotta work.

Also the Victoria reddit is full of people saying they want to counter protest or just attack the protesters because if they police won't pepper spray them all, they happily will. Rule of law! Rule of LAW!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Here's a map of the Wet'suwet'en territories - the pipeline will travel smack dab through the middle of it. The red square is the area of contention/protest. So yeah, it's not easy to move the pipeline. It would restart the entire process from the beginning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Okay, I stand corrected, there's a few proposed pipelines that travel north of their territories, along with an existing one that skims the north side of the territories.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

unknown posted:

Here's a map of the Wet'suwet'en territories - the pipeline will travel smack dab through the middle of it. The red square is the area of contention/protest. So yeah, it's not easy to move the pipeline. It would restart the entire process from the beginning.

Good, it shouldn't be built at all. Not a penny should be spent on expanding fossil fuel use.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing that’s most telling about this is it shows where the Liberals’ hearts really are on climate change. If they actually cared this would be the easiest project in the world to just stall and let die in committee while still outwardly supporting the oil and gas industry for electability reasons.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing that’s most telling about this is it shows where the Liberals’ hearts really are on climate change. If they actually cared this would be the easiest project in the world to just stall and let die in committee while still outwardly supporting the oil and gas industry for electability reasons.

Outside of climate change the federal government just really hates Indigenous people and will proceed to hassle them whenever the opportunity arises.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/1228372327819350016

i'm not going to miss this rear end in a top hat

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They bought a failing bitumen pipeline to ram into the middle of Vancouver harbour

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yeah seriously, the faux-concern over climate change from the Libs is old news by now. This is just the Federal Libs going mask off because they feel secure in doing so and going "rule of law" at anyone that disagrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

"Protesters who aren't first nations need to check their privileged."

Oh my goooood!