Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thanks!

I already knew something was up with the amount of towers (especially since the game does call out that 6 cores were sent,) I just couldn't figure out how to get on the other side of the Ash Twin warp to get into the core. Dunno why using the sandfall worked, but hey.

Anyways, just beat the game. Really, really delightful. Might be my GotY 2019, but I have some others to finish up and I still need to digest my experience a little bit. Especially when it's not 5AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Dunno why using the sandfall worked, but hey.

That's what the Black Hole Forge explains: They set up the Ash Twin teleporter to activate when it aligns with Ember Twin, since obviously it will never align with Ash Twin itself.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Friend playing the game for the first time: Hey did you know there's an eject button?

Me someone who's beaten the game several months ago: There's an eject button!?

I had no clue that the eject button existed and now want to try some things with it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MagusDraco posted:

Friend playing the game for the first time: Hey did you know there's an eject button?

Me someone who's beaten the game several months ago: There's an eject button!?

I had no clue that the eject button existed and now want to try some things with it.

I found it on the replay and immediately killed myself with it since i wasn't wearing my suit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I found it on the replay and immediately killed myself with it since i wasn't wearing my suit

This is the purpose of the eject button

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Finally finished the dang game, after four false startsthree getting eaten by anglerfish, one decided to check out what the eject button did while waiting for sand to lower. What a dang masterpiece. I'd say second only to Disco Elysium and Sekiro for 2019 games. Anyone know if a wallpaper sized version of the final image is available anywhere?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

repiv posted:

As for how you missed it, they patched campfire waiting in after launch so it might not have been in yet when you played.

Did they patch in achievements to the PC version yet?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jarvisi posted:

Did they patch in achievements to the PC version yet?

Epic store doesn't have achievements. Whenever it comes out on Steam it will probably have achievements.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I would like to purchase a physical version of this game so that I can support the devs while also snapping the disc in half in frustration over this stupid sun station jump that I can't seem to figure out how to do

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

nevermind it was easy

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Wow, just finished this game and I have strong feelings about it. Frustrating, flawed, but also fantastic. This is just one example, but the first time I (endgame spoiler) made it to the Vessel with the core and input the coordinates, I struggled with them a bit and was finishing the last one as the supernova caught me. I’m thinking, “you gotta be kidding me”. Some of the challenges were frustrating for many reasons, but I agree that the game does a great job of making you feel accomplished when you learn something new and piece together information.

The music is really fantastic, as well as the way they use it at key points. Especially when you grab the warp core and begin your last run, plus the campfire at the end. I’m really glad that I found the Nomai on the quantum moon and that you have a chance to reunite, because it was sad to leave them without a way to say goodbye.

The game also does a great job of simultaneously presenting hopelessness and hopefulness, which is represented in the music as well. It felt like a philosophical message and gave me something to ponder.

Despite the many times I wished I had a physical disc so I could snap it, I’m very glad I played. This one will stick in my mind for awhile, which to me is the hallmark of a good game.

Oh... and the special kazoo ending theme you get when you end the game in a very specific way was brilliant.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just learnt there are ruins on Hollow's Lantern

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Really? I always kept dying when I tried going there.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Really? I always kept dying when I tried going there.

It'll lose lava level during the cycle there's exactly one scan inside about the lantern

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can land in one of the volcanoes

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
Some questions about everyone's least favorite ash twin puzzle and how they did it(endgame spoilers, obviously):

Did you know the thing you needed for the vessel was in there?

Did you figure out how to warp inside on your own? Did you do it intentionally or by accident?

Did you know how the warp pads work? (not only does it need to line up with "a target" but you also need to touch the pad at some point during that window)

Did you play before or after the 1.04 patch that added more hints? (IIRC, wording was changed at white hole station texts, murals were switched between the time loop experiment room and the black hole forge, and more text was added... I think the glowy pulsing effect on the warp pads was added in that patch too)

Plus waiting around is a huge pain in the rear end am I riiiiight???

I can't come to any real conclusion because I played the game completely out of order, but I'm curious to hear how much of the difficulty was a specific red herring-type distraction or just not seeing an optional text entry somewhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

1. I don't think so, I mostly went there because it was a place I had definitely never been to before. For a long time I thought I would use the Black Hole Forge to either craft a new core or repair the broken one from the mothership; I might have still believed that right up until the moment when I saw the intact core.

2. 90% sure I did figure it out and do it intentionally.

3. Yes, I had ended up in the White Hole Station enough to have a lot of practice with them.

4. I played on PS4, so almost certainly after.

5. Yup. I wish there had been more to do on the exterior of Ash Twin in those first few minutes.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

1. Not specifically, but I had seen information about the Nomai crafting a new warp core somewhere and it was a pretty good bet it was going to be in there. Plus it was pretty obvious there was something important in there regardless.

2. Yes, but I failed to do it the first time I tried and was a bit confused, so I didn't try again for quite a while, and that time it worked.

3. Yes. You need to be in contact with the little black/white hole core at the bottom of the pad while it's aligned with whatever celestial body it's been tuned to (which has nothing to do with where it actually goes, by the way, the Nomai just set it up that way for no reason as far as I can tell). The fact that there were two warp pads tuned to the same planet but only one receiver on that planet is what clued me in to one of them going the other way.

4. I have no idea, sorry.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

1. Yes, to me it seemed well clued that the warp core I would need was there after exploring everywhere else. I’d originally thought the Black Hole station would have what I needed like others have said but after going there I deduced the rest

2. I conceptually understood it but couldn’t execute and ended up looking up hints. I jumped in early before realizing to wait a few seconds for the planets to be completely aligned.

3. I knew you had to be in the pad when planets were aligned, but I incorrectly assumed the planet it aligned with was the destination which is why I gave up on 2 after a few tries.

4. I played and completed the game before the patch

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yes, yes, yes, after.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

1. Didn't occur to me at the time, no. Just that the Ash Twin Project needed to be gotten to somehow. I thought about it in terms of "it's a place I haven't been to yet" and not "the thing I need is here", stuff fell into place once I connected dots after.

2. No. I looked up a few things and this was one of them.

3. I did because of White Hole Station, but I ran with many mistaken assumptions about where it would warp me until I warped there. Spent a long time assuming the Sun Station warp was for Bramble until I actually did it, for example.

4. Played before, and I don't know how much it might have helped but tbh, the text doesn't fix the main issue I had with the puzzle, the only major thing in the game I didn't like: the falling sand hitting the warp pad discourages you from trying it. I'm sure there are people who managed to stumble into it early anyway, but the massive amount of info you get from ATP, with a lot of projection stones and a neatly presented timeline wall no less, tells me that they wanted you to find it late in the game, and not providing anything to indicate the warp is not broken/being futzed with just because there's sand falling on it made it feel like a cheap way to deter me from finding the "endgame" too soon. It makes the game feel not quite as nonlinear as it's made out to be in a way, even if it technically still is.

5. Nah the waiting is fine. The Ember Twins are about timing and feeling time pass, it is literally an hourglass, and I appreciate the commitment to making me wait for things over giving me too much power out of some anxiety over my boredom. I prefer being bored sometimes, if it will make the world I'm playing in feel more real and like it is active exerting itself on me, over compromising that feeling by empowering me to make sure I'm having fun all the time (and there are the campfires to sleep at). I think this game hits the balance between fun and unfun beautifully.

Also, kinda related to #5 but about that quality of life thing mentioned the OP, talking to Gabbro again after a new loop to get the ability to restart the loop on command, I found out the reason the devs hid that, and I respect it a little more from a game design standpoint now: it was originally gonna be an option from the start, but they found that ANY TIME something went even a little wrong, players would immediately restart the loop. They hid it because they wanted you to have the possibility of finding your own way out of a bad situation, because that can feel really good, instead of treating the loop as something to reset just because you hosed up a little. Because of this, I'd personally not tell new players about this unless they're having a really bad time with the game, or at least tell them with the caveat that it ought to be a last result, when they are SURE they can't find a way out of a bad situation normally.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
1. Pretty sure I did, yes.

2. Yes, intentionally.

3. Yes, that was pretty clear from the first visit to white hole station.

4. After, but I hadn't been to the Black Hole Forge at that point so I had only seen some of those hints.

I thought it was a good puzzle and satisfying to solve. Unlike the trick to getting to the Sun Station, which I felt I found by complete accident.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^ There's a trick? It was the same as anything else for me.

1. Yes, I obsessed over reading all the text I could, so the in game rumors thing pointed me there
2. No, I did it accidentally once but didn't know why it worked and had to look it up later
3. Yes, because the first one I used had a bunch of text explaining it
4. I did, but I never got that far so I don't know what the difference was

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
1. Yes
2. Yes. Since each tower was obviously themed after its target planet, as a Myst player it seemed only logical that the twin towers would each lead to one of the twins.
3. Yes. I knew about the alignment thanks to the white hole station, and it never occurred to me to not be on the pad.
4. No idea. Likely after?
5. Always found some stuff to do or admire while waiting.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Cojawfee posted:

^^ There's a trick? It was the same as anything else for me.

I think they meant that you could jetpack your way through the cactus tunnel to the lift, but they didn't know that the easy way is to wait until the window of time in which the sand will cover some of the cactus to let you pass through, similar to how you get in the High Energy Lab.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Flac posted:

I think they meant that you could jetpack your way through the cactus tunnel to the lift, but they didn't know that the easy way is to wait until the window of time in which the sand will cover some of the cactus to let you pass through, similar to how you get in the High Energy Lab.

Sort of; by chance I arrived at the tower at the right time to enter it as the sand descended, rather than reasoning that that was a time I should aim for.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ah, for that one, just arriving slightly too late at the tower once and seeing the entrance get blocked was enough to realize the rising sand would be useful

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never found bothered with the teleporter and manually flew to the Sun Station more than once :madmax:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

1: It was pretty clear that the Ash Core was an essential area very early on, it gets a lot of mentions and shows up as a ? in your ship log very early on.

2: I tried it a couple times, getting sucked out by the sand and one time waiting til the very end of the cycle when the sand pillar ends. If I had a save right next to the pad I could quickload from I'm sure I would have worked it out with a few more tries but with all the travel & waiting required between attempts I just looked up online what it wanted from me.

3: Yeah, it's not too hard to work out.

4: Don't most (all?) of those hints just tell you that the warp to the ash core exists and that it's the only way into the core? They didn't change anything for me. It's pretty obvious after a little experimenting that the pads take you to each of the different worlds, there's nothing else of note on Ash Twin, and the Twins building is the only one with two pads. Even if you can't intuit it you can work it out via elimination. The problem with getting to Ash Core isn't "where are you supposed to go" it's "how are you supposed to actually use the entrance". There's nothing else in the game I can think of that requires or even hints at touching the sand pillar, and it's actively discouraged normally. It flings you into space on Ash Twin and it just kills you on the surface of Ember Twin. The only clue about the puzzle you get is the Nomai corpse outside hinting that the pillar won't pick you up while you have a small bridge overhead.

Flac posted:

4. Played before, and I don't know how much it might have helped but tbh, the text doesn't fix the main issue I had with the puzzle, the only major thing in the game I didn't like: the falling sand hitting the warp pad discourages you from trying it. I'm sure there are people who managed to stumble into it early anyway, but the massive amount of info you get from ATP, with a lot of projection stones and a neatly presented timeline wall no less, tells me that they wanted you to find it late in the game, and not providing anything to indicate the warp is not broken/being futzed with just because there's sand falling on it made it feel like a cheap way to deter me from finding the "endgame" too soon. It makes the game feel not quite as nonlinear as it's made out to be in a way, even if it technically still is.
Yeah this was weird.

The Ash Twin Core is very obviously the most end-game content. The Vessel & Probe Cannon co-ordinates are essential parts of the endgame too, but neither of them shout "IT IS NOW TIME FOR THE CONCLUSION" like the Ash Core and its wall of lore does. Unlike the other two though the actual entrance to it is just kinda hanging out there? There's no meta-knowledge you need to solve the puzzle to get into the core, it's just something you can stumble onto if you show up at the right time. You need to learn the tornado & jellyfish tricks to get to the core of Giants Deep and you need to learn how to navigate the Bramble to find the Vessel and there's locations in other parts of the system that teach you about it. Everything you need to unlock the door to the Ash Core is lying dead 5 feet away from it, the only thing stopping you is that it's kinda unintuitive so you'll probably leave it alone until there's literally nowhere else to go.

Darox fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 15, 2020

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yes gently caress no yes idk

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Finally got around to playing this - really enjoyed it and only got a hint on one thing The Quantum Tower in Brittle Hollow - simply didn't realize it ever fell into the black hole and figured it was like a couple of the more important buildings on Brittle that just never fall in

I was so sure for most of the game that the Nomai had hosed the sun somehow. The revelation that the Sun Station was a bust and basically mothballed was pretty shocking. I half pondered if it was a lie/misdirect at first but then the Interloper answered that question definitively.

I too only ever went to the Sun Station by carefully flying through the cactus corridor, using the sand never occurred to me

The "anglerfish are blind so they hear your thrusters" thing was pretty natural to me once I found the kids talking about it in their adorable scratches in Sunless City. Had no real issue getting to the Vessel after that. Definitely more knowledge then execution IMO.

I was also sure from the Ash Twin projection cores that the third mask being lit up was going to be a surviving Nomai somewhere. The fact that it was just the Probe Tracking Module kinda deflated me till I got to the end of the Quantum Moon. I'm glad Solunum gets to join the band. :3:

Given the existence of human instruments, a very simplified orbital model, marshmallows, anglerfish, I wonder if the implication is that the Hearthian's universe was made by a human going into the Eye in the last cycle.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Some questions about everyone's least favorite ash twin puzzle and how they did it(endgame spoilers, obviously):

1. by the time i found the vessel i did, yes

2. first time i managed it by accident just exploring, long before i knew about the vessel. i knew it was powering the ash twin project, and i knew i could turn it off, but i didn't yet know why i would do that. also, it took me a few tries to get back inside once i did, but only because i had already been in and so stupidly did not pay close attention to the actual instructions i found later because "it's gotta be so easy you can do it by accident!"

3. the pointed at the other object thing is what threw me off, i think, and only until i stood on one until it eventually worked and remembered the aiming part from the white hole station

4. i think i played after? i played in september/october of last year, so whatever version was out then

Arianya posted:

I was so sure for most of the game that the Nomai had hosed the sun somehow. The revelation that the Sun Station was a bust and basically mothballed was pretty shocking. I half pondered if it was a lie/misdirect at first but then the Interloper answered that question definitively.
[/spoiler]

i think this was the exact moment this became one of my favorite games ever. i went from being angry at the nomai for having destroyed my character's species to sadness in realizing they specifically didn't, to a bittersweet realization that they actually saved my character (and gabbro) from death and shame at having thought that they'd do destroy everything after all their other careful environmental minimalism. the way the interloper put an end to everything they'd worked for was rough and i think it would not have been nearly as impactful if the story weren't told in the format it is.

i love this dang game

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

this place has an advanced core + this place needs an advanced core = plot, probably

I read some of the notes about "there are 6 warp cores ash twin connects too" and " the hourglass twins count as one celestial body" and it just clicked. I dropped my scout on one of the warp pads and stood in the other myself to check which was which.

Having to stand on the warp pad in order to warp felt so self evident that i never even considered it might work some other way?

I dont know when patch 1.04 dropped but i played it pretty recently so i assume so

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've only played a couple hours but I wanted to bump the thread by saying absolutely everybody should play this game, god drat

The music is like Mogwai hired a banjo player and it's the best poo poo I've heard in a game in a real long time

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

:sigh: I'm stuck at the approach to the Vessel in the Dark Bramble. I know the anglerfish can hear my thrusters, but I'm a big dummy playing on a M+KB and my only two settings appear to be FULL and NONE, and all the guides I checked mention that you have to rely on a thrust setting I can't do. Can anyone who's finished this on M+KB give me some pointers on how to do it?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

just don't thrust when near them, at all. if you're at all in the proximity of a fish, rely on inertia to take you out of there. It can take a bit, especially during..that one part, but it's not too bad.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Regarding that bit in Dark Bramble: you don't need to use thrusters at all-- just coast til you're clear of the fish. If you're feeling bold, you can get slightly past them, then start accelerating straight to your destination. They generally can't catch you unless you start making noise right next to them.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Patience is key. You'll never come to a complete stop. Any time I've died there it was me getting too antsy

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Died from getting too antsy and also getting eaten by a giant angler-fish. gently caress Dark Bramble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also whenever you go through a gate in that zone your speed will be set to a constant, ie when you go through a gate that drops you in a fish-rich zone you don't have to touch anything, you can just wait until you're clear of the fishes. Also as a last resort you can use your probe as a decoy. But Dark Bramble's main challenge is really just being able to just wait through the fishes and resist the urge to touch your thruster controls.

Chev fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 27, 2020