Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Went up for a clam, came back with a whole lot more. Acclimation time now, will get up some better pics later.

Those are coral right? Fracks or w/e? How do you get them onto your hardscape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yup most of those are coral frags. Some like the maxima clam and rock flower anemones have a foot they use to grip onto rock, others come on plugs. I usually will snap the stem off the frag plug and use some epoxy putty and superglue gel to attach to rock.

Here's a few more shots, they are in the tank and mostly opened up now.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know much about salt but those are some pretty corals. A pulsing zenia is maybe the only thing I recognise but aren't sure how to spell, am I right? The clam is really cool though, what do you feed them? Are they filter feeders?

The little circles are the ones with palytoxin aren't they, zoas I think?

One of the Facebook fish groups I'm in has a maniac newbie who wants to stroll down to fish store and come home with 2 tanks, one for an octopus and one for seahorses so we are all very gently trying to explain how that isn't a great start for a newbie.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 10, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So the first pic is a maxima clam, covered with orange ricordea mushrooms, and it's a filter feeder.

In the second pic, on the rock are 3 rock flower anemones. The two smaller ones I picked up today, the orange guy I've had for a while. In the lower right corner on that pic is a lobo brain coral, that one will get targeted shrimp feeding.

Third pic, left to right is another ricordea mushroom, a frogspawn (that hasn't extended much yet), and then a clove polyp (which looks very close to pulsing xenia so that was a drat good guess)

Last pic is a green mushroom with it's back towards us, and then a few plugs of zoas and one purple sponge.

Also, I really hope someone either in that group or at the store is able to talk that guy out of trying to keep an ocotopus.. good lord! I'm not sure how easy they are to get in Australia, but around here I've never seen one for sale in a store.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

What kind of zoas are those? I’ve had terrible luck with them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm terrible with names as it is, and zoa in particular just seem to get random made up names all the time, so I don't even try to remember them anymore lol. I just gravitate towards pretty colors and try to get ones that I don't already have.

e: went home for lunch and couldn't resist taking another pic of this badass clam, it's much more open and the ricordea covering it look amazing now too. Figure those mushrooms are worth $20-30 a head, and there are at least 12-15 on him. $150 total seems like a steal

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 10, 2020

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm terrible with names as it is, and zoa in particular just seem to get random made up names all the time, so I don't even try to remember them anymore lol. I just gravitate towards pretty colors and try to get ones that I don't already have.

e: went home for lunch and couldn't resist taking another pic of this badass clam, it's much more open and the ricordea covering it look amazing now too. Figure those mushrooms are worth $20-30 a head, and there are at least 12-15 on him. $150 total seems like a steal

Nice clam. If you havent had one befire, make sure to check its bottom side regularly for little white snails. I lost one a few years ago and didnt realize it came with some bad snail hitchhikers that killed it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vessel From Denny posted:

Nice clam. If you havent had one befire, make sure to check its bottom side regularly for little white snails. I lost one a few years ago and didnt realize it came with some bad snail hitchhikers that killed it.

Thanks, it was pretty clean when I got him but I'll make sure to keep an eye on that. Would hate to lose this guy.

Also, forgot to mention but it was pretty funny when the dude I bought it from pulled him out of the tank. It shot a super soaker style jet of water that hit him square in the face. I made sure to aim it away from me when I took him out of the acclimation bucket, but he didn't repeat that performance.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Shrimps were all het up after the last water change so I took a quick video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6nd6sRcog

sorry it's vertical but the tank is mostly vertical as well

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Wet bar demolished. Built in aquarium project is a go!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mozi posted:

Looks great Mozi!

Looking forward to seeing progress pics as you go along Resting Lich Face!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

Amazing, love the scape.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Enos Cabell posted:

Hell yeah. Is it weird that one of the things I'm really excited about is the plumbing?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Enos Cabell posted:

Looks great Mozi!

VelociBacon posted:

Amazing, love the scape.

Thanks! I just sort of let it go so I'm happy it's looking good - all it takes is just keeping up with maintenance and a lot of patience. I really love those shrimps, I love my fish as well but if I couldn't have fish anymore just having shrimp would be fine, they're great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mozi posted:

Thanks! I just sort of let it go so I'm happy it's looking good - all it takes is just keeping up with maintenance and a lot of patience. I really love those shrimps, I love my fish as well but if I couldn't have fish anymore just having shrimp would be fine, they're great.

Yeah all I have are shrimp. I like being able to leave on trips up to around 6-7 days and not having to worry about feeding

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

The aquarium is purchased! 48x30x30, ~200 gallons. Will be here in 8-10 weeks!

Decided to go undrilled. A hole in my tank gives me the heebie jeebies.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 11, 2020

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz2DYaMJ4ss

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm moving to a new city 4 hours away by car; how will I actually move my fish tank and the fish safely?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What size and how many fish? I've transported fish 9 hours by car using a 5 gal bucket w/ lid and a DC power inverter with a small heater and air pump. Tank itself is easy, just drain it and you can probably just leave the substrate in place.

For larger fish swap the 5g bucket with a large styrofoam cooler.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I apparently interrupted something checking on my tank in the middle of the night. Any ideas whose egg sacs these belong to? I’ve got pea puffers, neon tetras, and suckerfish in here. Looking up photos of each of their eggs, none appear bunched up in translucent globs like this. I’ve also got ghost shrimp and snails, but I’m pretty sure this isn’t them.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

They look like frog eggs to me but I am guessing the scale is too tiny - could be snail eggs, shrimp would carry the eggs around so its not those. But the clump, in like a sac, that is very much a snail-like mess of eggs. You'll be able to tell because you can see the snail inside the egg long before the egg hatches - fish in eggs tend to become like a loop head to tail around the widest part of the egg, but from what I've seen, snails stay in the middle.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 14, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’ve got a mystery snail that lays eggs above the waterline, MTS’s that don’t really lay visible eggs, and one lone assassin snail whose not supposed to breed. But life...um, finds a way.

We will see if I ever get an answer. I’ve seen some baby snails on the glass at night (not sure if they’re mystery or MTS) but those are eaten by morning.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

RIP yet another guppy. That's half of them dead now.

First and last time for that pet shop.

On the bright side I now have some white cloud mountain minnows, which are very pretty even if they don't shoal as much as I was expecting. I'm considering adding a Kribensis, hopefully one alone won't be too aggressive.

e: two of the minnows are also dead. Is testing the water weekly not enough? The gently caress is going on?

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 14, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's not the stores fault that you didn't cycle your tank before adding fish. They've been swimming in toxic ammonia since you first put them in. Guppies and minnows aren't exactly hardy fish so it's not that surprising.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot I was going to post about the rasboras I'm getting. I got a picture of them and while they aren't a porthole rasbora and I'm pretty sure also not blue line rasboras, I'm not really sure what they are. They look like what seriously fish has listed for rasbora paviana. Fishbase has a completely different looking fish for r. paviana though, and the rasboras I'm getting look more like what fishbase has for r. paucisqualis. Seriously fish has a different picture for r. paucisqualis too, I'm pretty sure the pic they're using is what fishbase is calling r. hubbesi, or very similar at least. I am guessing it's a mess and there are regional subspecies.

The stripe not crossing the gillplate or eye narrows it down, as does the iridescent strip, the solid pigmentation of the lateral stripe, the thickness of the stripe at the caudal peduncle (it doesn't really become a distinct larger spearhead like some do) and the lack of pigmentation on the tail rays. The larger scales and pigment at the edge of the scale too. I think it's a real nice well put together looking fish even if it isn't super flashy in that pic. They look bigger than the peacock gudgeon in the foreground, which rules out some of the fish I found similar pictures for that have a much smaller max size listed. I'm excited to see what I'll get, how big they'll grow, and if they are even all the same species as each other. To round out the order of fish as I wasn't exactly sure how many were available, I asked for some redsided barbs to make up the numbers as they were the same price and I've been itching to keep some barbs again for quite a while. They're also called two spot barbs and they do have two spots, but there is a different barb called a two spot barb which has larger spots and a different body shape to these torpedo shaped guys. I'm getting puntius bimaculatus not p. cumingi or p. ticto.

I think these guys are much the same size as cherry barbs and the red stripe is the breeding dress of the males but I love that iridescence too.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

RIP yet another guppy. That's half of them dead now.

First and last time for that pet shop.

On the bright side I now have some white cloud mountain minnows, which are very pretty even if they don't shoal as much as I was expecting. I'm considering adding a Kribensis, hopefully one alone won't be too aggressive.

e: two of the minnows are also dead. Is testing the water weekly not enough? The gently caress is going on?

Did your pH keep climbing over time like the results you posted earlier? Did your ammonia ever go down? Any idea what your total dissolved solids are, or your gH/kH? There aren't a ton of disease processes that will kill fish that quickly but they do exist. I would have thought with all those plants, and essentially 4 weeks of fish-in cycling, you'd have some amount of filter bacteria by now (unless you clean your filter too aggressively). As a rule I don't start counting my fish as survivors until 6 weeks or so after I bought them (and that's also when they are free to leave quarantine and go to their forever homes).

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That'll teach me to clean my filter in my skrimp tank.

I had so many die I was just gravel-vac'ing bodies off the substrate. Really bummed now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Always clean your filter media in a bucket of tank water, tap water will kill the bacteria which basically restarts your cycle every time.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Always clean your filter media in a bucket of tank water, tap water will kill the bacteria which basically restarts your cycle every time.

I usually never clean the filter, I just did it the one time. I'm now pouring Stability in to try and save the 5 remaining shrimp, plus water changes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How did you generate enough ammonia in a shrimp tank to hurt them? My experience has been that that basically don't generate any meaningful amount of biomass.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Dying plant matter, as far as I can tell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're cleaning it in the tank then... everything that was in the filter is dumped into the water for awhile til it just gets sucked back into the filter and ? :|

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not in the tank, in a bucket of water you've drained from the tank.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Eventually all the remaining bits of that loving Amazon-knockoff DBT will be gone, and the dying bits of the real DBT that keep floating away will be gone, and they will have decayed into ammonia and processed into nitrates and removed via water changes. That will take a couple months, and I'm just hoping that in the meantime Stability and water changes will keep my skrimps alive until the nitrifying bacteria come back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I lost a batch of fish after a bad algae bloom started to decay and sucked the oxygen right out of a heavily planted tank. It sucked. Ammonia and nitrate levels stayed zero the whole time. Decaying plant matter is no joke.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Decaying plant matter just killed all my shrimp! This is a terrible hobby and I hate everything! :)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It's time for my least favourite aquarium hobbyist game! Where the gently caress is that water coming from?
I could smell damp carpet the second I walked into the room. The water level is a little low on a tank I water changed yesterday. The entire perimeter of where that tank touches the foam that it's on is wet. There is a trickle filter on top of the tank - could be leaking? Bottom edge of the tank - silicone could have let go, for a slow leak? I can see drips on the underside of the trickle filter - enough to dribble past the top rim of the tank and run down to pool at the base?

I have no idea!

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Official Bizness posted:

Decaying plant matter just killed all my shrimp! This is a terrible hobby and I hate everything! :)

you can gently caress off

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure now that the pond trickle filter I have had set up on that tank was causing a slow leak somehow. Around 4 litres in 48 hours. I've swapped for a DIY internal filter (just moved the same media over, as much as I could fit). I'll check if more water is out tomorrow so I'll know if it's the tank or if it was just my lovely trickle filter. Inhabitants don't seem bothered at all by all the fuss. I've put a fan on and hopefully the carpet will dry. So far I've not had any lingering smells or mould, I'm so thankful for the dry climate here I can't even be mad about having to deal with
evaporation from every tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Stoca Zola posted:

I'm pretty sure now that the pond trickle filter I have had set up on that tank was causing a slow leak somehow. Around 4 litres in 48 hours. I've swapped for a DIY internal filter (just moved the same media over, as much as I could fit). I'll check if more water is out tomorrow so I'll know if it's the tank or if it was just my lovely trickle filter. Inhabitants don't seem bothered at all by all the fuss. I've put a fan on and hopefully the carpet will dry. So far I've not had any lingering smells or mould, I'm so thankful for the dry climate here I can't even be mad about having to deal with
evaporation from every tank.

Hope that takes care of it :ohdear: