Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
confession, sleepless domain is completely not my thing and i was expecting not to like it. but, i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Same. I read it based upon the comics here over the last half week, and it is not my usual genre but it's also great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hallelujah posted:

confession, sleepless domain is completely not my thing and i was expecting not to like it. but, i love it

habeasdorkus posted:

Same. I read it based upon the comics here over the last half week, and it is not my usual genre but it's also great.

I had the same story but for Kiwi Blitz. Mary Cagle is kind of a master of drawing you in to a story without realizing it even over your initial reservations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It helps that she is good at creating likable characters in general.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

hallelujah posted:

i wasn't going to read it, because it brings back traumatic memories of my own time as a magical girl, but to shitpost effectively i need some understanding of current notable works

I hold your dedication to the art in high esteem.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I just binged Sleepless Domain, and it really is excellent. I also find Cassidy's actions are way more infuriating with full context. She is going to get dunked on so hard if/when HP finds out what she's done.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wittgen posted:

I just binged Sleepless Domain, and it really is excellent. I also find Cassidy's actions are way more infuriating with full context. She is going to get dunked on so hard if/when HP finds out what she's done.

I really hope that HP or Gabby walks in. I mean, it likely won't happen, but I hope.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The shoe I'm waiting to see dropped in SD is Tessa's power and etheric element being added to Undine's skills. Because clearly it's in there from how her eyes changed. And we know that Magical Girl powers can be additive since Heartless Punch got a big chunk of her mom's powers because she was a teen mother and thus still a magical girl. So I assume that Undine is gonna zot the gently caress out of some massive beastie the way she already power washed the one that was threatening HP.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

The shoe I'm waiting to see dropped in SD is Tessa's power and etheric element being added to Undine's skills. Because clearly it's in there from how her eyes changed. And we know that Magical Girl powers can be additive since Heartless Punch got a big chunk of her mom's powers because she was a teen mother and thus still a magical girl. So I assume that Undine is gonna zot the gently caress out of some massive beastie the way she already power washed the one that was threatening HP.

You'd think she would display healing powers first, since that was one of those cheaty things Tessa had and healing & water tend to go hand in hand, but no it will be gently caress you lasers.

it will happen this fight, Cassidy will make the connection and then keep digging the hole deeper by claiming Undine STOLE Tessa's powers

e: Actually I said that as a joke but that seems like something that could actually happen as Undine gets more incensed and it is absolutely something Cassidy would say

rannum fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 14, 2020

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

habeasdorkus posted:

That's a good explanation for why she was able to do the cutting water beam thing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If SD ends up with voltroning Magical Girls to beat a final boss, I will be 100% ok with that.

e: another thing I just realized is that Rue must have been getting loving hammered to near death on solo patrol if she was coming into school with injuries, because she has healing talents. So for her to walk in with continuing battle damage, she must have been fighting some pretty scary monsters.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 14, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

If SD ends up with voltroning Magical Girls to beat a final boss, I will be 100% ok with that.

Be careful what you wish for. Kiwi Blitz ended (ostensibly, it's not quite done yet) because it's big bad 1) couldn't speak German, 2) publicly betrayed all her competent goons, and 3) didn't anticipate that the robot girl she paid to have hacked to be her slave could be counter-hacked against her by someone else.

Celeste Jones is an idiot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Be careful what you wish for. Kiwi Blitz ended (ostensibly, it's not quite done yet) because it's big bad 1) couldn't speak German, 2) publicly betrayed all her competent goons, and 3) didn't anticipate that the robot girl she paid to have hacked to be her slave could be counter-hacked against her by someone else.

Celeste Jones is an idiot.
If she was smarter the protagonists would have been in much less danger.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i love undine because she apologises all the time and is a squirtle

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

If she was smarter the protagonists would have been in much less danger.

Oh yeah. Steffi is a world-class idiot, and the only reason she has survived the events of the comic so far is that every opponent she has faced is/was dumber than she was.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

rannum posted:

Just one of those things you don't think too much about beyond the gulf between Magical Girl School and Normal School or how no one has cell phones since it's just the conceit of "modern day magical girl" setting

It's been a while, but wasn't there a bit about how radio signals don't work? Which presumably is to explain why magical girls don't all have radio links while they're on patrol in case poo poo goes sideways and they can call others for help or something.

The city in general doesn't seem to have 21st century levels of technology, actually.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 14, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It's been a while, but wasn't there a bit about how radio signals don't work? Which presumably is to explain why magical girls don't all have radio links while they're on patrol in case poo poo goes sideways and they can call others for help or something.

The city in general doesn't seem to have 21st century levels of technology, actually.

Flare guns would be a pretty good idea, now that you mention it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Flare guns would be a pretty good idea, now that you mention it.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself. Ah well, maybe they tried it and it just made monsters swarm or something.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
There have been flares in this comics, actually, in HP's flashback to what happened to her mum. They were shown to be specifically an emergency thing to be used by civilians when there's a breach and no magical girl is around, as a "hey get the gently caress over here" signal.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah. Steffi is a world-class idiot, and the only reason she has survived the events of the comic so far is that every opponent she has faced is/was dumber than she was.

That and her boyfriend is dedicated to keeping her alive no matter what, yes.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mikl posted:

There have been flares in this comics, actually, in HP's flashback to what happened to her mum. They were shown to be specifically an emergency thing to be used by civilians when there's a breach and no magical girl is around, as a "hey get the gently caress over here" signal.
You know following that ice trail, grandma kokoro had to have ran past the ice monster to get outside. That whole situation was awful but she was probably lucky to get the flare off at all

Zoe's cousins were also pretty lucky now that i think about it. It wouldve been pretty hard to get a flare off in that situation without someone distracting the monster, undine and kokoro being near enough to hear the screams (iirc) was good happenstance

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Finished reading Sleepless Domain's archives.

Hahaha wow everything is hosed up eight ways from Sunday in this world.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

rannum posted:

You know following that ice trail, grandma kokoro had to have ran past the ice monster to get outside. That whole situation was awful but she was probably lucky to get the flare off at all

Zoe's cousins were also pretty lucky now that i think about it. It wouldve been pretty hard to get a flare off in that situation without someone distracting the monster, undine and kokoro being near enough to hear the screams (iirc) was good happenstance
Kokoro is really lucky the ice monster wasn't really equipped to move a drawer to open the closet door. It's a bit of a weird situation where the thing was strong enough to horribly kill the other three but didn't get Kokoro. Maybe it didn't really register that she was there?

Like, you could read that whole situation as either it was self-aware and cunning enough to deliberately keep the screaming baby alive and hide in the corner to lure people in (unlikely, esp as everyone that could have been lured in is meguca), or it broke the inner barrier and did directed attacks at Kokoro's mom and grandparents, but then just stopped. Maybe it only attacked people it could see, and had a simplistic enough intelligence it didn't actually realize Kokoro was in the closet bc it couldn't see her?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

yeah, there's something weird about how HP's family were killed. The monster was just chillin' in a corner of the room when they found it. Makes me wonder if there's more to it than just tragedy.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Definitely the creepiest monster seen so far. It does seem super strange it just sat in the corner. Way different than other monsters.

Also, I have a feeling that civilization might exist elsewhere. The dude from outside the city had a kind of grenade that seemed to a) be higher tech than stuff we’ve seen in the city and b) seemed to be designed for the specific purpose of killing monsters. Also does not at all seem to be something he could have fabricated himself

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I don't recall this dude from outside the city. Is this the one that was running around during Undine's first night back, that she assumed was homeless because he was in the streets?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

habeasdorkus posted:

yeah, there's something weird about how HP's family were killed. The monster was just chillin' in a corner of the room when they found it. Makes me wonder if there's more to it than just tragedy.
Given the call to Kokoro, it's possible goops controlled the monster in order to kill Heartful Mom, and then dropped the control and hosed off, leaving a docile and goalless monster shivering in the nursery.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Malpais Legate posted:

I don't recall this dude from outside the city. Is this the one that was running around during Undine's first night back, that she assumed was homeless because he was in the streets?
Yeah, he's definitely not from the city. As far as i could tell from my reread, he's trying to translate the words that appear on the inner barrier every night.

EDIT: I would need to search to find the pages, but there's a single-page snapshot of his notes where it mentions trying to translate/interpret the patterns that always show up, and if you check inner barrier scenes there tends to be patterns with two lines and then markings inside those lines changing and flowing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Like just as the quickest example I could find you can see 3 examples here

And from a few pages earlier, you see how the markings appear where they weren't before.

It's just a really cool design detail that's hard to spot unless pointed out, then you can't unsee it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

He could be from the city, but sneaking around at night so he can investigate the barriers and stuff. That was my interpretation of his deal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I forget, do they ever explain the barriers? Are they something not understood or technology created the city? It's weird how they give the magical girls a different light show every night.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They are able to open and close the barrier but it's not clear if the city controls it. Honestly we've seen virtually nothing about what the city government knows or does, beyond some basic research into the magical girl phenomenon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rereading the early part of the comic to find the guy's notes. I forgot how different the old art was, because of the different artist.
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-3 here's the look at the guy's notebook. He writes things like "locals" so he probably is an out of town guy

also i remembered the dick bullying Zoe but I forgot she dragged Undine into it https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-4-page-10

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I think it does look like daughter of the lilies didn't really seem to know where it was going for a while after its big anticlimactic (imo) reveal and the gang just wandered around in the forest reading a book for the last year or two with sporadic updates.

The latest page is another filler page that literally says "Currently writing / figuring out the rest of the dang story" which pretty much confirms to me that there hasn't been any real direction in a while and still wont be unless something gets figured out.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling that the author really likes their characters, maybe even their setting, but really just doesn't know what else to do with them after the primary original story was told.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

PetraCore posted:

Like just as the quickest example I could find you can see 3 examples here

And from a few pages earlier, you see how the markings appear where they weren't before.

It's just a really cool design detail that's hard to spot unless pointed out, then you can't unsee it.

Regarding this stuff, I remember the author saying on twitter thatthere is a pattern to the markings on the wall, and a reader has figured it out.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Ditocoaf posted:

He could be from the city, but sneaking around at night so he can investigate the barriers and stuff. That was my interpretation of his deal.

he's pretty explicitly from outside of the city - Anemone expresses no surprise that her "omniscience over the city" power doesn't work on him (as opposed to Gold and Purple, who she also can't track and isn't sure why), and in his conversation with Undine he uses "Jesus" as an exclamation, which is extremely anachronistic to the setting.

also the character polls list him as "the outsider", but that's probably cheating.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

His name is Marc, by the way, according to the tags

his rat is nicodemus

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The monster was scared. And sad.

It wasn't lurking in the corner, it was holding its knees and shaking.

Which isn't like any of the other monsters we've seen, obviously.

edit: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-31 yeah look at the body language on this page. I read that as someone trying to process something overwhelmingly lovely.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 15, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rannum posted:

His name is Marc, by the way, according to the tags

his rat is nicodemus

Also he introduces himself outright.

New page by the way. I wonder what happens if both of Cass' forms are damaged at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tenebrais posted:

Also he introduces himself outright.

New page by the way.

Spoilered because it hasn't been a few hours. :hellyeah: Also that looks like Bud's word balloons?