Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Organza Quiz posted:

People are super weird about Australia's wildlife given that other countries have bears and mountain lions and poo poo.

Mammals are more relatable than reptiles and sea beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Roger_Mudd posted:

We've also developed the ability and strategy to shoot bears in their bear faces, and/or drive them to extinction, which hasn't really happened with terrifying 1-inch jellyfish of doom.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Organza Quiz posted:

People are super weird about Australia's wildlife given that other countries have bears and mountain lions and poo poo.
Yeah Australia's wildlife is just unfamiliar. The United States has brown recluse & black widow spiders, seal lions, elephant seals, venomous scorpions, venomous snakes, raccoons (raccoons are as popular with tourists as koala bears), porcupines, armadillos, possums, deer & elk brazenly roam through our cities, alligators, gila monsters & other large iguanas, mountain lions & coyotes that eat our pets, and in some areas we have to own bear proof trash cans. All Australia has on us are giant snakes outside of Florida.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

It's about the number of venomous animals compared to the US.

Also Cassowaries.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Organza Quiz posted:

Similarly if anyone seriously wants to move to Australia I can help... but I will have to charge you as it is my actual job.

Weirdly lawyers are on our in-demand occupation list but still not quite as simple to transfer over as some other jobs.

Yeah I looked at that. I'm not sure I want to live in the outback though and it looked like that was the recruiting area. I think I would die from a platypus stabbing or something.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 14, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

Remember when I got in trouble in this thread for posting about killing a snake

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
They found that from 2008-2015, there were 1,610 animal-related fatalities in the US, with the majority of deaths the result of encounters with nonvenomous animals (57 percent).
1,600/325 million = .000004%
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180228112528.htm
4 people per million.

2008 and 2017 in Australia, 266 people died from an animal of some sort... 77 people - from horses, cows and other 'animal transport', 60 people, is just mammals (other). Next come hornets, wasps, and bees, at 27 deaths in the last 10 years.
266/24 million = .000011%
https://www.sciencealert.com/what-s-the-deadliest-animal-in-australia-2018

11 people per million. Austraila is deadlier. Almost 3 times as deadly!

(edit: somebody check my math)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Remember when I got in trouble in this thread for posting about killing a snake

A rare show of lawyers protecting their own

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

blarzgh posted:

They found that from 2008-2015, there were 1,610 animal-related fatalities in the US, with the majority of deaths the result of encounters with nonvenomous animals (57 percent).
4 people per million.

2008 and 2017 in Australia, 266 people died from an animal of some sort... 77 people - from horses, cows and other 'animal transport', 60 people, is just mammals (other). Next come hornets, wasps, and bees, at 27 deaths in the last 10 years.

2.25x as deadly, I love seeing lawyers try to do math it's the best

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Also when you convert a number to a percent you take off two decimal places, and .00049% should probably be rounded up instead of down

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I asked for help for a reason

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

You did really well for a lawyer and you should be proud

E: substantively the rounding was your only error, your hiccup with the percentage conversation got cancelled out

E2: in the future consider converting to basis points instead; it's easier for people to understand 0.049bps/0.11bps

Hoshi fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 14, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

What's the American analog?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

4 people per million.

By not controlling for the human element, you're libelously skewing your data against AUS animals. You need to use Florida's numbers, instead of all of the US's numbers, to help factor the human element out of your calculations.

e: and you're counting an 8 year span for the US, vs. a 10 year span for AUS.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 14, 2020

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the American analog?

overweight white person on a mobility assistance device with an ar-15 and a confederate flag yelling that foreigners are ruining this country.gif

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Hoshi posted:

In law school I had an exam worth 60% of my final grade, and the points for the exam's three sections were 10, 20, 20.

They gave us all 10 points to get to 60.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Hoshi posted:

Wait, not 2.75x, 11/4? I'm a lawyer who is bad at math I just need to know how bad.

Edit: gently caress me I suck at math AND reading now.

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 15, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

Pardon power is basically king's prerogative which seems fitting honestly

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1228666350635290624?s=20

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

EwokEntourage posted:

overweight white person on a mobility assistance device with an ar-15 and a confederate flag yelling that foreigners are ruining this country.gif

That's also Australia. Remember that it's Rupert Murdoch's home turf- imagine a political setting where the spectrum of media starts at Fox and goes right from there.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

That's also Australia. Remember that it's Rupert Murdoch's home turf- imagine a political setting where the spectrum of media starts at Fox and goes right from there.

Ehh. Our media is definitely dogwhistling trash, but if the implication is that Fox would basically be considered the most left media here and everything else just gets more right from there, that's... not really accurate. It helps that we don't have the American obsession with free speech, so we have actual defamation and hate speech laws.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

"You might not think of the knitting world as a particularly political community, but you’d be wrong."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

"We're REALLY going to get him this time, boys!!"
- people who, once again, did not 'REALLY get him this time.'

Also, I forgot to quote post this after the impeachment trial vote get hosed

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Also, I forgot to quote post this after the impeachment trial vote get hosed

You, uh, know that no one who voted to impeach expected the conviction vote to succeed, right?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Will loving the poo poo out of Troika bars help or hurt my application?

Yes.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

It's about the number of venomous animals compared to the US.

Also Cassowaries.

Slightly misleading when it comes to Norway. We have a grand total of three venomous animals, of which none are even remotely lethal. Wasp, common adder and the Greater weever (which is a fish and not a great one at all). You're unlikely to ever even see the last two.

I looked up statistics because I was bored, and we don't track deaths by animals. There's a huge "other" category which encompasses these and other freak stuff and it's five people... since 2014. At least one of those is by polar bear? Yeah, polar bear will kill you if it gets a chance. There. That's the most dangerous thing here.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 17, 2020

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I'm considering buying a house, and they sent through a contract. In addition to the General Conditions (standard terms), there are a bunch of Special Conditions, two of which are:

"The purchaser acknowledges that:
3.1 The Purchaser will be liable for all costs associated with connection and installation of [internet] and telecommunication;
3.2 The Purchaser must not raise any objections on account of any matter in this Special Condition"

Showed a friend working in property and she just laughed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gently caress you for linking this

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Don't be such a knitwit

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Everyone getting cross up in here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You could do more to contribute than just needling everyone, Phil.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Darn. Usually this thread has me in stitches. But not today.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Everyone getting cross up in here.

It's probably part of a pattern

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Darn. Usually this thread has me in stitches. But not today.

Now you're just spinning a whole bunch of yarn

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vox Nihili posted:

Somebody's crochety this morning...

Surely in one knitting article there'd be a purl or two of wisdom.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 18, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Whitlam posted:

I'm considering buying a house, and they sent through a contract. In addition to the General Conditions (standard terms), there are a bunch of Special Conditions, two of which are:

"The purchaser acknowledges that:
3.1 The Purchaser will be liable for all costs associated with connection and installation of [internet] and telecommunication;
3.2 The Purchaser must not raise any objections on account of any matter in this Special Condition"

Showed a friend working in property and she just laughed.

betcha that means that the last time they asked the local ISP for high-speed internet the isp asked for $50k to run fiber to their block so have fun with your dsl

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

betcha that means that the last time they asked the local ISP for high-speed internet the isp asked for $50k to run fiber to their block so have fun with your dsl

That was my thought as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nationalize ISPs and treat internet access as a utility. Nationalize the phone companies while we're at it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Surely in one knitting article there'd be a purl or two of wisdom.

Well, that wool stand to reason, but all it contains is what the knitting community felt.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nationalize ISPs and treat internet access as a utility. Nationalize the phone companies while we're at it.

Alternatively, shut down the internet forever

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Alternatively, shut down the internet forever

It had its chance and we're all worse for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Not joking when I say that I believe in 50 years people will look back on the ubiquity and indulgence of the internet in the first third of the 21st century in much the way we look back at things like leaded gasoline, tobacco use, etc.

"How did they not know how bad it was for them??"