Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved HL2 when I first played it, but when I went back to play it a few years later I just couldn't get into it. If I could just skip the cutscenes, or they were shorter, it would be a lot easier to enjoy.
That said, I do have to dig up my copy of the artbook because that thing was amazing.

I still love the mood and vibe of hl2 and think the gameplay stands up really well. The AI of the combine isn't as nasty and the smg is anemic but otherwise it's great imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HL1 cutscenes were like "ah, gordon, let's begin the test......... I'll open this side of the door......" *awkward pause for several seconds, simultaneously rotates and walks to switch*

"yes dr freeman, this should be an interesting test indeed, most enjoyable" *awkward pause, walks to switch on opposite side of the door*

*blunk*

*blonk*

*door clanks open* like there's a reason speedruns glitch through all this stuff!

HL2 isn't really the same kind of game, it's way more ambitious in its setting and storytelling so it's gonna be a different experience than running around and platforming while stuff appears to attack you. I feel like it did all the kinda setpiece stuff way better too (firefights against squads of baddies, shoot down the big bad without getting wrecked). It's just not as tight and compact because it's trying to create a world and build tension

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Half-Life 2 is better because it has this (technically episode 2, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZRNd6osQrk

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HL1 starts well, then kind of slows around On a Rail and the next few stages suck until you get to Surface Tension and then the game loving sings until you arrive in Xen, when it gets a completely different pacing. I liked Xen, but I understand the criticism of it.

Opposing Force is good all the way through.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gotta agree about On A Rail. Seems like thats the reason that Black Mesa didn't include it. You can download a mod to put it back in but the games momentum definitely grinds to halt at that point

Speaking of Half-Life 1, if anyone goes back to play that ABSOLUTELY use the Half-Payne mod that adds bullet time to the game. Its so fun you guys

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 14, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

HL1 does have the YOUR DED FREMAN graf though while everyone in HL2 treats him like Jesus so this is a tough call

well except that vortigaunt in ep2 who delivers a masterclass in sarcastic admiration every time Gordon does a thing

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is that the one with Cherry Venus?

Nah, that was The Demon Rush and it had nothing to do with the French revolution. I looked it up a while ago because there was some amazingly funny goonmade content about it, and the guy is still making games. One for the PS4 no less. They all look terrible.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That's cool tbh, guy never gave up on his dreams :3:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You do kind of have to admire that kind of persistence. Also, The Demon Rush was just conventionally bad instead of bad and super creepy, so it's a higher quality of game than some of the worse stuff that has been posted in this thread already.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cardiovorax posted:

You do kind of have to admire that kind of persistence. Also, The Demon Rush was just conventionally bad instead of bad and super creepy, so it's a higher quality of game than some of the worse stuff that has been posted in this thread already.

As a failures-make-me-quit-fast sort of person* I genuinely admire folks who can get up and forge onward after a blow like that :unsmith:

* working on it. lot of goddamn inertia to beat tho

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're doing a very good job of selling it... right now the biggest thing holding me back is that art style :barf:

What's wrong with Void Destroyer 2's art? It's clean, easy to read and most of all it's not grey like most space sims are.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's wrong with Void Destroyer 2's art? It's clean, easy to read and most of all it's not grey like most space sims are.

yeah its pretty serviceable, and in game when tons of poo poo is popping off it looks pretty good!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

StrixNebulosa posted:

It looks like something out of an edutainment title.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It looks like something out of an edutainment title.

Yeah it does look clunky, but its developed by a single person so it gets a free pass on that front (and tons of bonus points for being a good game made by one person)

I find the art even charming, but I do wish for a bit more polish on the sound side.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

haldolium posted:

Yeah it does look clunky, but its developed by a single person so it gets a free pass on that front (and tons of bonus points for being a good game made by one person)

I find the art even charming, but I do wish for a bit more polish on the sound side.

The sound design is easily the worst thing in the game, bar none. I think you could improve it by muting the entire game and playing other music instead.

That said it's still a ton of fun and I like the art. I like the cel-shaded style and wish more games used it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rolo posted:

Anyone ever play mouse/keyboard games on a coffee table lol?

I kinda wanna get back into first person shooters but my PC is a living room TV setup.
Get a lap tray. Or even just a board but that's slightly less adjustable and maybe more strain inducing depending on your body.

I now play all games in a sofa chair with an extra board I had. Even at a desk.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

zedprime posted:

Get a lap tray. Or even just a board but that's slightly less adjustable and maybe more strain inducing depending on your body.

I now play all games in a sofa chair with an extra board I had. Even at a desk.

Is it comfortable enough for twitch shooters?

I wanna play some Overwatch and CoD:MW.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

It's far more comfortable than a drat coffee table

Orv
May 4, 2011
On the occasions where I bothered to use my Steam Link I'd just put the top of an old particle board desk on my knees and that worked just fine but getting comfortable with the vastly oversized piece really hosed with my posture so depending on what you're using I wouldn't recommend it for a particularly long time.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

SelenicMartian posted:

It's only a US deal.

Eh... The second game takes place literally between two textboxes near the end of the original and spins its wheels for hours.

Steins;Gate 0? Yeah, don't play that, play any of the other spinoffs, up to and including Steins;Gate NES Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYqpY61tM5k

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rolo posted:

You probably want something that could be more adjustable than not to line all the joints up you use for good twitch.

But you really just need a surface to mouse on and desks and computer chairs are the most common furniture to give you an adjustable version of that but hardly need to be a monopoly.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Flimf posted:

Anyone tried this Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emblem looking "french revolution but anime" game? Looks kinda neat.

Banner of the Maid
https://store.steampowered.com/app/994730/_Banner_of_the_Maid/

Hey, I've played that, and Too Shy Guy has streamed and reviewed it. It's a pretty fun SRPG with a rock-paper-scissors thing going on and some alternate history VN hijinx. The new English script has been cleaned up -- it's not perfect, but it's a lot less jarring than it originally was, and it's one of the few games I've ever seen where they've bothered to subtitle the battle cries.

Definitely a fun time.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh here we go.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Goddamn that thing is 160 fuckin bucks! But now that seed has been planted and I feel like I can just make that with things I have lying around

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Even the stock photo model can barely conceal her disdain

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rolo posted:

Oh here we go.

Lmao I love the implication that a hot lady will hang out with you if you get the gamer sofa stool. That thing does look pretty cool though if you've got a living room setup like a steam link or whathaveyou.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
love to GAME with a giant pile of firewood in my living room.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
And the generic energy drink in the pocket

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dunno about you but i only trust GAMER ENRG drinks

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
160 bucks for something you can make with 2 throw pillows and a plank of wood.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

drat horror queefs posted:

Even the stock photo model can barely conceal her disdain

crammed into the corner near the... woodpile?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm pretty sure she was shooting a fitness set in the studio next door and walked in to laugh at how dumb this shoot was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Love to wear my shoes in the house while I'm chillin on the sofa like a freak

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Why would you sit around your house in distressed jeans. He's gonna have a disparately cold knee.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's not gonna work for competitive first person shooters, but I found it easier to couch game with a track ball and a keyboard than balancing a lap board.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

where are the wires going?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That guy doesn't look real

Did you post a stealth ad for gamer realdolls or taxidermized boyfriends?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Imagine being stuck with the dumb baby version and not having this spaceship command console version.

A bad gamer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The most absurd part is somehow the ashtray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Void Destroyers 2 had been vaguely on my radar for a while, so it leaving EA is a good an excuse as any to check it out.

Anyone who has played already got any "wish I knew this at the start" tips?