Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am a big fan of the Breville toaster ovens. They’re pricey but basically act as second ovens. You can fit a whole chicken into most of them, maybe even the smallest one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Does anyone have recommendations for a large, deep skillet / fry pan? I've tried searching around, looking for reviews from ATK and the like, but pretty much every comparison I've found is reviewing shallow skillets rather than the deeper ones. I generally use it as my everyday pan - the vast majority of what I cook will get done in it (pretty much everything except boiling / steaming vegetables or pressure / slow cooking). I also like to make huge quantities of food at once, so the deep pans are nicer for that.

The first one I had was this guy, and it lasted a while but eventually things started sticking like crazy as the coating wore down. My current one has similar dimensions but for some stupid reason they put circular ridges on the bottom which makes it impossible to clean if something does stick. I've generally stuck to hard anodized aluminum so far and it's treated me well, non-nonstick pans kind of scare me.

Edit: currently I think my top contender is this, though I'm concerned that the flat bottom part looks a little smaller than I'd like.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 22, 2020

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm in love with my breville smart oven. i hardly ever use my big oven now. Granted im only cooking for one or two at a time, but it rules.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm in love with my breville smart oven. i hardly ever use my big oven now. Granted im only cooking for one or two at a time, but it rules.

I keep trying to figure out how to reorganize my counters to make room for it and it just doesn't fit. Maybe if I get rid of most of my bar and put my espresso machine there..

Dr. Eldarion posted:

My current one has similar dimensions but for some stupid reason they put circular ridges on the bottom which makes it impossible to clean if something does stick. I've generally stuck to hard anodized aluminum so far and it's treated me well, non-nonstick pans kind of scare me.

I used a "flat bottomed wok" for a while to do kind of what you're talking about. Looks pretty close to what you want: https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Co...crippsonsite-20
The one I had was much wider on the flat part though and almost looked like a water slide high turn on the far side from the handle. It was great and made many quick dirty meals in college.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a large, deep skillet / fry pan? I've tried searching around, looking for reviews from ATK and the like, but pretty much every comparison I've found is reviewing shallow skillets rather than the deeper ones. I generally use it as my everyday pan - the vast majority of what I cook will get done in it (pretty much everything except boiling / steaming vegetables or pressure / slow cooking). I also like to make huge quantities of food at once, so the deep pans are nicer for that.

The first one I had was this guy, and it lasted a while but eventually things started sticking like crazy as the coating wore down. My current one has similar dimensions but for some stupid reason they put circular ridges on the bottom which makes it impossible to clean if something does stick. I've generally stuck to hard anodized aluminum so far and it's treated me well, non-nonstick pans kind of scare me.

Edit: currently I think my top contender is this, though I'm concerned that the flat bottom part looks a little smaller than I'd like.

Look for a saute pan rather than a skillet. We had a T-Fal nonstick saute pan for a couple years. I really liked the dimensions, but it was so badly domed that I got rid of it and went back to whatever I could find at the local store. I'd love to find one from a brand known for flatter bases.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Try looking for a chef's pan (sometimes called an everyday pan) instead of a fry pan. It's basically what you're looking for, something like a squat covered stock pot with sloped sides. They usually have two pot handles but you can find 'em with a frypan handle. I've got a stainless Calphalon chef's pan that I like fine but I have no idea if their anodized/nonstick version is as good.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I've got a 'Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker' I tried to use a few months ago and this thing sucks and has seemingly no use outside english muffins. I'm about to throw it away! Unless there is anything useful it can do besides toast muffins with an option for egg/ham, into the garbage.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I've got a Lodge 4 quart iron Dutch Oven that can pretty much do whatever you want. I don't cook eggs on it though.There are other dutch ovens that are enamel and i guess that qualifies for nonstick?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

excellent bird guy posted:

I've got a Lodge 4 quart iron Dutch Oven that can pretty much do whatever you want. I don't cook eggs on it though.There are other dutch ovens that are enamel and i guess that qualifies for nonstick?

Maybe I've just been using it wrong but I don't think enamel is non-stick in a meaningful way. I need to get pretty aggressive with my dutch oven from time to time. I always assumed the enamel was there so that you could cook with ingredients that might react with uncoated cast iron.

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009
I’m about 15 pages left to read, so may I ask what is the stand mixer I should look for? I know Kitchenaid is the go-to, but I don’t know what model I would get. Budget is 300 or so and I have a Costco membership.

Edit: I just looked at the Bosch mixer and I sort of want that.

Pen Express fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 23, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pen Express posted:

I’m about 15 pages left to read, so may I ask what is the stand mixer I should look for? I know Kitchenaid is the go-to, but I don’t know what model I would get. Budget is 300 or so and I have a Costco membership.

Edit: I just looked at the Bosch mixer and I sort of want that.

the all stainless costco version of the bowl-lift kitchenaid pro is like $250 (or cheaper refurb'd on amazon) and i've had great luck with mine over the past five years or so.

different bowl shape that the other kitchenaid pro series, so you can't use every standard mixer attachment but (1) most of those suck anyways and (2) it's a hundred dollars cheaper than the other pro 600s but seems like it has about the same power. definitely a hell of a lot better at kneading bread than my parents' tilt-head "artisan" one

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Maybe I've just been using it wrong but I don't think enamel is non-stick in a meaningful way. I need to get pretty aggressive with my dutch oven from time to time. I always assumed the enamel was there so that you could cook with ingredients that might react with uncoated cast iron.

good to know! I haven't tried, now I might pick up whatever you get suggested as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I only have experience with Staub enamled cast iron, but food definitely sticks to it less than it does to my stainless steel

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

eke out posted:

the all stainless costco version of the bowl-lift kitchenaid pro is like $250 (or cheaper refurb'd on amazon) and i've had great luck with mine over the past five years or so.

different bowl shape that the other kitchenaid pro series, so you can't use every standard mixer attachment but (1) most of those suck anyways and (2) it's a hundred dollars cheaper than the other pro 600s but seems like it has about the same power. definitely a hell of a lot better at kneading bread than my parents' tilt-head "artisan" one

Be aware, the Costco model is price pointed so some the gearing/drive train parts are cheaper.
I ended up just getting a refurb Pro 600 direct from KitchenAid for close to $200.
As of this posting, you can get a refurb direct for $219

https://www.kitchenaid.com/refurbished/p.refurbished-pro-600-series-6-quart-bowl-lift-stand-mixer.rkp26m1xob.html

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Yeah, Kitchenaid sells both refurbs and non-refurbs direct for pretty decent prices. They show up in eBay's daily deals a lot: https://www.ebay.com/deals/sch?_nkw=kitchenaid

They have the non-refurb Pro 600 for $279.99 right now too. (though only in one color)

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 23, 2020

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

excellent bird guy posted:

I do already have a Le Creuset skilletish pan (I guess it's technically a short casserole?) that I got years and years ago during some crazy Amazon sale but I rarely use it because it's pretty unwieldy. Same for the 12" Lodge cast iron skillet I have. I might get more use out of a dutch oven (the other two are a little small for how I like to cook) but I'd be worried that it would be too cumbersome.

Nephzinho posted:

I used a "flat bottomed wok" for a while to do kind of what you're talking about. Looks pretty close to what you want: https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Co...crippsonsite-20
The one I had was much wider on the flat part though and almost looked like a water slide high turn on the far side from the handle. It was great and made many quick dirty meals in college.

Yeah, I'd definitely want one with a larger flat area. One of the problems I've had when looking for woks, too, is that the stainless steel ones seem too thin to retain any heat well, and the cast iron ones are like 15 pounds. I didn't realize that there were anodized aluminum ones available, though...

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Look for a saute pan rather than a skillet.

SubG posted:

Try looking for a chef's pan (sometimes called an everyday pan) instead of a fry pan.

Thanks! These seem to be the keywords I was missing. There seem to be a few nice choices for each.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you think stainless doesnt retain heat well enough you're gonna have quite a reckoning when you use an aluminum pan

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

It's not necessarily that, it's just that the ones I've seen have been super thin. Maybe it's just that those have been really lovely pans though. The other pans I've used have had a lot thicker bottoms which seem to hold onto the heat a lot better.

... or maybe I'm just clueless. I'm not a pro, just someone who likes to make tasty things. :shrug:

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 23, 2020

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

lovely pans are a real thing. The difference between the $15 stainless saucepan I bought at the local Meijer and my similarly-sized All-Clad is huge. The lovely one transfers the hot spots from my electric burners right to the food and requires constant stirring to cook anything evenly. The All-Clad is the truth.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

It's not necessarily that, it's just that the ones I've seen have been super thin. Maybe it's just that those have been really lovely pans though. The other pans I've used have had a lot thicker bottoms which seem to hold onto the heat a lot better.

... or maybe I'm just clueless. I'm not a pro, just someone who likes to make tasty things. :shrug:

Woks tend to be pretty thin, so you're actually just looking for a wok-shaped thing that isn't actually a very good wok. A chef's pan might also be up your alley though those look to be a little pricier and run a bunch of different shapes.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I have an all clad deep saute pan and it does what you're asking for. It was cheaper than their regular saute pan for some reason.

Anyone know if barkeepers friend will gently caress up the mirror polish on it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

I have an all clad deep saute pan and it does what you're asking for. It was cheaper than their regular saute pan for some reason.

I think it probably will gently caress it up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Azuth0667 posted:

Lawnie posted:

I think it probably will gently caress it up.

Barkeepers friend is how I get my mirror polish back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The real pro move is to not care

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I care exactly once a year when I throw a big dinner party and spend the week polishing every pot and pan in my kitchen.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

:agreed:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Nephzinho posted:

I care exactly once a year when I throw a big dinner party and spend the week polishing every pot and pan in my kitchen.

I was doing this, but I honestly kinda like my stainless steel pans looking well-used.

When I have them all shiny polished and hanging on the wall it feels like one of those display kitchens at IKEA.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

drat I wouldn’t have guessed it was that fine an abrasive. Usually it takes at least 800 grit silicon carbide paper to get close to a mirror finish.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Swissmar Borner mandoline
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000632QE/

VS

Mueller mandoline
https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Austria-Adjustable-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B01CT63964/

Thoughts? Leaning toward the Swissmar. ATK liked it but the review was very thin and they mostly compared it against bad mandolines. I have a DeBuyer but never use it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The Swissmar seems to have a deeper angle and therefore a longer cutting edge which I assume (not having used either) will cut more easily.

The Mueller seems to have an interesting feature where the guard rail is sloped upwards, so that your hand will continue to go on a trajectory going farther away from the blade as it slides across the bowling lane. No idea how it works in practice but it’s an interesting idea.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Apologies if this has come up before, but I don't really follow kitchen equipment closely and I just found out about the existence (and price) of a Thermomix. I am irrationally angry and just wanted to vent. Thank you for your patience.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Stringent posted:

Apologies if this has come up before, but I don't really follow kitchen equipment closely and I just found out about the existence (and price) of a Thermomix. I am irrationally angry and just wanted to vent. Thank you for your patience.
Whatever you do don't look up the price of Robot Coupe's Robot Cook.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

wormil posted:

Swissmar Borner mandoline
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000632QE/

VS

Mueller mandoline
https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Austria-Adjustable-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B01CT63964/

Thoughts? Leaning toward the Swissmar. ATK liked it but the review was very thin and they mostly compared it against bad mandolines. I have a DeBuyer but never use it.

I can’t do an actual comparison since I’ve never tried the Mueller but I recently bought the Swissmar on the strength of the ATK rec and like it. Haven’t lost fingat yet and find it quite easy to use and versatile. Can’t speak to reliability or anything yet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think Mueller was the mandoline ATK was criticizing for trying to be too many things but reviews are good.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Same. I use it on the cooking surface after every handful of uses. Makes it look pretty much new.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My cheap poo poo knife block bread knife broke. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced replacement?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Get one that’s offset. I hate my knuckles hitting the board while slicing bread, and that’s what most bread knives do.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=offset+bread+knife+serrated&sprefix=offset+bread&ref=nb_sb_ss_organic-pltr-v2_4_12

Here’s mine, it’s not offset but has lots of knuckle clearance.

Having used it a while I would say it’s not ideal because it has a belly, I think a straighter blade would be better.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

couldcareless posted:

My cheap poo poo knife block bread knife broke. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced replacement?

I've had the F. Dick offset knife for almost 5 years now and it's still going strong. I use it for bread and (more often) breaking down butternut squash and it's still perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/F-8505518-Pro-Dynamic-Offset-Utility/dp/B07DR8VXPT/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=f+dick+bread+knife&qid=1581736819&sr=8-4

Alternatively, I'm sure this Mercer knife for a third of the price will be perfectly fine, though not nearly as ridged and sturdy as the F. Dick.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-M23890WBH-Millennia-9-Inch/dp/B01F35UKJW/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=f+dick+bread+knife&qid=1581736883&sr=8-6

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Somethng Offal kitchen equipment thread: my F. Dick is rigid and sturdy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Unlike my boner which is thin and flexible