Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

stephenthinkpad posted:

The guys who look 23 who is 35?

When people ask me how old my chinese kids are I say 16 and 18 (they're actually 3 and 5).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some folks age well. Not me, I look my late-30s. Thanks smoking!

Used to have a boss years ago that I swore looked 27, but was in his early 40s. Whiter that the day is long. I think it was because he didn't have kids. I don't either, but habits are hard on the body.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
My old coworker used to get regularly carded and she was 40

Lolled about it often she did

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Plant MONSTER. posted:

\

exactly! it bugs me so here are some rules I'll need all goons to follow

-wash your hands (w/ soap)
-drink juice and exercise and you'll be fine
-avoid licking door handles if you can help it
-it's viruses
-avoid rear end to mouth (or "eating rear end") while the virii are in town
-the boys are back in town
-the boys are back in towwwwn.

welp, there goes my weekend plans

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well gently caress me.

We dead.

https://twitter.com/pmarca/status/1228516569342345216?s=21

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Could this be the source?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.07.20021154v1

I also found this other estimate

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32007643

Everyone thinks is very infectious. >2.

Edit:

The article says the real R0 is between 2.3 and 3.0, taking into account the effects of the current lockdowns / quarantines.

quote:

Fortunately, we see evidence that control efforts have a measurable effect on the rate of spread.
Since January 23, Wuhan and other cities in Hubei province implemented vigorous control
measures, such as closing down transportation and mass gatherings in the city; whereas, other
provinces also escalated the public health alert level and implemented strong control measures.
We noted that the growth rate of the daily number of new cases in provinces outside of Hubei
slowed down gradually since late January (Fig. 3B). Due to the closure of Wuhan (and other cities
in Hubei), the number of cases reported in other provinces during this period shall start to track
local infection dynamics rather than imports from Wuhan. We estimated that the exponential
growth rate is decreased to 0.14 per day (CI: 0.12 to 0.15 per day) since January 30. Based on this
growth rate and an R0 between 4.7 to 6.6 before the control measures, a calculation following
the formula in Ref. (14) suggested that a growth rate decreasing from 0.29 per day to 0.14 per
day translates to a 50%-59% decrease in R0 to between 2.3 to 3.0.
This is in agreement with
previous estimates of the impact of effective social distancing during 1918 influenza pandemic
(18). Thus, the reduction in growth rate may reflect the impact of vigorous control measures
implemented and individual behavior changes in China during the course of the outbreak.

Tei fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 15, 2020

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

The guys who look 23 who is 35?

coronavirus is like an exile of youth, and will make your skin beautiful and fresh! learn how you can use deadly virus to de-age your skin today, with this Secrete beauty tips professional beautyologiest don't want you to know!!!!

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

I just can't see that happening. I think it's really serious, but numbers like that seem to suggest a majority of people on the planet would catch it in the next few weeks - and that a real percentage of people the world over already has it.

I mean:

It probably started around the beginning of december. Let's call that 75 days ago. It would double (in early local epidemic) every 2.4 days. So that's time for ~30 doublings (I know, I know, it slows down at a certain point, and when quarantine measures are taken). Still, back of the napkin math makes that about 2^30, which is just over ONE BILLION. There are not one billion people infected today. I'd be very, very surprised if it was more than a million.

edit: aggressive containment measures started on January 23, roughly 50 days after the beginning of the outbreak. That still leave room for a possible 20 doublings - 2^20, which is just over a million - on January 23rd. Is that really possible? I know it takes 2-14 days to incubate, and the disease's progression takes roughly 3 weeks (week 1 is rough, week 2 a little better, week 3 you get better or need a ventilator). Will 15% of the 500k who caught it around the 23rd - 75,000 people - need a ventilator in the coming week?

I know this is glossing over many important nuances, but the scale seems off with what we're seeing, even if official numbers are likely inaccurate.

ma i married a tuna fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 15, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Doesn't that number reflect ideal transmission? Like no masks, medical care, or hand washing. Just all 1.4 billion people in China sneezing into each other's faces all day and night.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I was wondering if we'd get something leading into this weekend.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Doesn't that number reflect ideal transmission? Like no masks, medical care, or hand washing. Just all 1.4 billion people in China sneezing into each other's faces all day and night.

R0 is transmission ratio for unvaccinated population who haven't had the disease before. Other factors don't matter because with a large enough population size you can ignore every other factor.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
The r0 value may be that high, and the virus is just not that deadly in populations that don't live in heavily polluted areas with behaviors that damage their lungs, or it might be less deadly in non-Asian genotypes.

There were enough cases in the US that if it was that virulent and deadly we would be seeing large pockets of spread by now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was already spreading quite a bit in the US and just hasn't been that severe.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
This has been my reocurring concern: If this started in December, why isn't the rest of the world where China was this time last month?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ma i married a tuna posted:

I just can't see that happening. I think it's really serious, but numbers like that seem to suggest a majority of people on the planet would catch it in the next few weeks - and that a real percentage of people the world over already has it.

I mean:

It probably started around the beginning of december. Let's call that 75 days ago. It would double (in early local epidemic) every 2.4 days. So that's time for ~30 doublings (I know, I know, it slows down at a certain point, and when quarantine measures are taken). Still, back of the napkin math makes that about 2^30, which is just over ONE BILLION. There are not one billion people infected today. I'd be very, very surprised if it was more than a million.

IIRC various Measles strains have an R0 greater than 12

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 15, 2020

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/02/14/governor-japanese-visitor-recently-hawaii-confirmed-have-coronavirus/

Guy visiting Hawaii started exhibiting symptoms while in Hawaii, didn't get diagnosed until he landed back in Japan.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gearhead posted:

This has been my reocurring concern: If this started in December, why isn't the rest of the world where China was this time last month?

the rest of the world implemented pretty serious quarantine procedures once it started taking off in china and so far it appears to have been effective

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What does RO stand for? R? Is it zero or oh. Ianas

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

It’s R zero but it’s Pronounced R not.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’ve learned something today

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve learned something today

Its good to know the details on how you'll die.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

1stGear posted:

Its good to know the details on how you'll die.

Oh no, not I, I will survive
Oh, as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live
And I've got all my love to give and I'll survive
I will survive
I will survive

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I was always more of a short skirt, long jacket kinda guy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don’t die on the Cruise Burt!!

https://twitter.com/quarantinedond1/status/1228582651646246912?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1228590900131004418?s=21

Take the flight or sucks to be you either way haha

If they take the flight they are gonna be stuck on that base for 2 weeks.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SchrodingersCat posted:

The r0 value may be that high, and the virus is just not that deadly in populations that don't live in heavily polluted areas with behaviors that damage their lungs, or it might be less deadly in non-Asian genotypes.

There were enough cases in the US that if it was that virulent and deadly we would be seeing large pockets of spread by now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was already spreading quite a bit in the US and just hasn't been that severe.

Maybe, but I'd think that it'd hit at least some folks hard enough to land them in the hospital, just like the flu does, and at least some of them would be diagnosed as "down with the crow," which is what i'm predicting the cool kids will be calling COVID NINETEEN soon

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
We can't stop here.

This is Batros Country.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Welp, we're all dead

Apparently more than half of the virus patients in Hubei are being treated with woo instead of, you know, actual medicine.

Been nice posting with all of you

https://twitter.com/cdcshepherd/status/1228568503269175303

e: I guess they could be treating some of them with TCM and real medicine but this is still not a good sign.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 15, 2020

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hahahahahaha

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Of all the places where a super plague could start, of course it's the place where peplle eat dried rhino ear because then they can hear the virus better and avoid it or something.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teacup posted:

Real talk I’ve got a friend who works in a Chinese restaurant near box hill and is seriously worried about how much longer he can stay open due to lack of business.

Good job going for yum cha, I feel bad for these restaurant workers :(
yeah it's sad seeing the passive effects of this, everybody's life is going to be hosed in some way whether we all die or not

almost-empty sunday morning chinatown yum cha is going to be amazing though. i choose death. honestly i'm more worried about my friend's safety at the michael buble concert. michael loving buble i knew this day would come

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Known Lecher posted:

Welp, we're all dead

Apparently more than half of the virus patients in Hubei are being treated with woo instead of, you know, actual medicine.
I don't think there is real medicine for coronavirus outside ongoing trials yet. After SARS hit many governments started buying Tamiflu in case of a flu epidemic. Problem: it appears to be about as effective as TCM.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/12/the-truth-about-tamiflu/307801/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Some parts of TCM actually make sense, as they are basically natural remedies.
My guess is they try to bolster their immune system with natural ingredients same as we do in the west for example.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TCM got us into this mess, surely it can get us out of it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hopper posted:

My guess is they try to bolster their immune system with natural ingredients same as we do in the west for example.

TCM is literally a placebo, that is the entire reason it was invented in the 50s (to make people think that they were getting medical care even though the state was not in any position to provide it).

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm thinking about home ownership in the near future. Should I buy before the collapse and risk being outside the Decontaminated Zone fortifications, or stock up on barter-worthy items for use in the barracks with other conscripted cremators?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Hopper posted:

Yes many westerners are also dumb

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Cure for the virus is a nice warm bowl of bat soup

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

TCM is literally a placebo, that is the entire reason it was invented in the 50s (to make people think that they were getting medical care even though the state was not in any position to provide it).

The 50s? Is that what they tell you in your conspiracy group? I am not trying to defend TCM most of it is dubious, but dude seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jabor posted:

I'd rather take ginger for nausea than promethazine

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 15, 2020