Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tenebrais posted:

Also he introduces himself outright.

New page by the way. I wonder what happens if both of Cass' forms are damaged at the same time.

Dunno, but HEADSHOT.wav

Also, Zoe being trans completely flew under my radar, which is cool because hey, she's trans and it's not her major thing.

Also:
https://twitter.com/krekalie/status/1226702286899953667?s=20

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tenebrais posted:

They are able to open and close the barrier but it's not clear if the city controls it. Honestly we've seen virtually nothing about what the city government knows or does, beyond some basic research into the magical girl phenomenon.
The inner barrier, yeah, but i think it takes a magical girl. That's why Vedika is there.

Benagain posted:

The monster was scared. And sad.

It wasn't lurking in the corner, it was holding its knees and shaking.

Which isn't like any of the other monsters we've seen, obviously.

edit: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-31 yeah look at the body language on this page. I read that as someone trying to process something overwhelmingly lovely.
I completely agree! It's very evocative, which just makes the scene creepier and raises more questions. I think where the monsters come from and how they're created is going to be important and probably super lovely.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

iospace posted:

Dunno, but HEADSHOT.wav

Also, Zoe being trans completely flew under my radar, which is cool because hey, she's trans and it's not her major thing.

:same:

Bud's the one with the lasers, so I imagine the headshot is hers.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
one thing i keep thinking about sleepless domain is how refreshing it is to have a teenage mother storyline where the fact of teenage motherhood is not the tragic element, and is actually allowed to be the contributing influence on kokoro's powers. it made me realise i've never seen this issue used so objectively. it appears all the time in fiction but is always portrayed as a tragic, awful thing, even in storylines where the teen mum and her child turn out ok. in sd the explanation given for the pregnancy is "poo poo happens", which is usually the case irl, and it doesn't ruin everybody's lives. i don't even know why this is so important to me but idk, there are a lot of teenage mothers and the children of teenage mothers who read comics and the way the issue was handled was just so, decent

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Yo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Benagain posted:

The monster was scared. And sad.

It wasn't lurking in the corner, it was holding its knees and shaking.

Which isn't like any of the other monsters we've seen, obviously.

edit: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-31 yeah look at the body language on this page. I read that as someone trying to process something overwhelmingly lovely.

I read it as it being a cold monster. Being huddled like this and shivering is its normal shape, and it attacks by spreading frost around it.

Unlucky7 posted:

Spoilered because it hasn't been a few hours. :hellyeah: Also that looks like Bud's word balloons?

I think so. The only other one with light gray color is Zoe, and that "Yo" is a lot more Bud than Zoe.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Cagle has stated that most of the major monsters are based on phobias before, so it could be in relation to that. The gravity monster was fear of elevators!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah fear of freezign to death tracks. I also just figured it was shivering and holding itself like that because, hey, ice monster.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Twibbit posted:

Cagle has stated that most of the major monsters are based on phobias before, so it could be in relation to that. The gravity monster was fear of elevators!
hahaha omg

same

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hell yeah Bud

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Dark connotation, Bud spends most of her training shooting another Mahou in the head with a death beam.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/phoenix_feet/status/1228474557415116800?s=20

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

hallelujah posted:

one thing i keep thinking about sleepless domain is how refreshing it is to have a teenage mother storyline where the fact of teenage motherhood is not the tragic element, and is actually allowed to be the contributing influence on kokoro's powers. it made me realise i've never seen this issue used so objectively. it appears all the time in fiction but is always portrayed as a tragic, awful thing, even in storylines where the teen mum and her child turn out ok. in sd the explanation given for the pregnancy is "poo poo happens", which is usually the case irl, and it doesn't ruin everybody's lives. i don't even know why this is so important to me but idk, there are a lot of teenage mothers and the children of teenage mothers who read comics and the way the issue was handled was just so, decent
I think it also helps that Momkoro was like, 17. Not an independent adult but also a lot different than with a pregnancy 3 or 4 years earlier would be. The big thing tho is she had support.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
We've gotta be building towards the creation of a themeless team (with or without a depowered/repowered Tessa, and at the girls' discretion, not their handlers) to take on whatever dumbass system lead to Magical Girls being the sole force of peace/love/justice in this strange, new world, right?

Absolutely ready to be proven wrong, but every time I go to check the site, those five symbols keep staring me in the face.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

As this scene winds down it's fun to compare Cassidy's attempt at this with Harley's https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-11-page-17
Cassidy: gently caress you tell me what's going on
Harley: she seems normal but what's up

Inkspot posted:

We've gotta be building towards the creation of a themeless team (with or without a depowered/repowered Tessa, and at the girls' discretion, not their handlers) to take on whatever dumbass system lead to Magical Girls being the sole force of peace/love/justice in this strange, new world, right?

Absolutely ready to be proven wrong, but every time I go to check the site, those five symbols keep staring me in the face.

IU feel dumb for never realizing the site's sections had undine, HP's ,tessa's, zoe & rue's symbols now that you've pointed it out

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

rannum posted:

IU feel dumb for never realizing the site's sections had undine, HP's ,tessa's, zoe & rue's symbols now that you've pointed it out

I think that might be relatively new, actually? I'm pretty sure it was all team alchemical until recently.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Everyone was calling for Cass' head (to varying degrees of severity) for being a massive bell end with some grand delusions of grandeur but now I just want her to just continue to be Bud's butt monkey as thats a far more tragic (and hilarious) punishment for her.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 15, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I want Cass Redemption Arc actually, I think she's got a lot more potential than just 'that one jerk' and I want to see where that goes!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Joe Slowboat posted:

I want Cass Redemption Arc actually, I think she's got a lot more potential than just 'that one jerk' and I want to see where that goes!

It would be one thing to be paranoid and wrong, but Cass had also been using incredibly abusive language. “Everybody thinks...”, “Not normal”, “You should not be here”, not to mention she all but says that Undine had a hand in killing her team. I am not sure if you can redeem that, at least not without footwork.

It is obvious that she thinks she is right for whatever reason. I think she may end up as a tragic antagonist.

That said, as mentioned before Mary Cagle is really good at this writing thing and I am just a rando so perhaps she can make a redemption arc work. We shall see!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm cool with that but only after a long stint in the "being the Abridged Vegeta to Bud's Abridged Nappa" karma jail.

Unlucky7 posted:

That said, as mentioned before Mary Cagle is really good at this writing thing and I am just a rando so perhaps she can make a redemption arc work. We shall see!

I mean Kiwi Blitz is basically one massive redemptive arc for Steffi, so.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 15, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I mean, we also don’t know what Cass has been through. Maybe nothing! But I would assume given this comic that she has some kind of trauma motivating her, especially since she got this whole design and deal, and it would be a waste if she’s just there to be a jerk and get pwnt by Bud Lightyeet.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my absolute favourite character is rue's perpetually stern baby brother

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Boob mystery status: :ms:
http://marblegate.webcomic.ws/comics/245

Also, in Never Satisfied news, Lucy didn't stay hidden for long:
http://www.neversatisfiedcomic.com/comic/chapter-9-page-29

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean, we also don’t know what Cass has been through. Maybe nothing! But I would assume given this comic that she has some kind of trauma motivating her, especially since she got this whole design and deal, and it would be a waste if she’s just there to be a jerk and get pwnt by Bud Lightyeet.

We do know she's already part of a team, Team Flash. We don't know anything about them, but there's plenty of room to give some spotlight on where she's coming from and what she deals with. I wouldn't be surprised if she's getting some poisonous ideas in her head from them.

Come to think of it, she seems really hung up on the exercise gang being super important to her. Shouldn't she already have a social group of her own? She's got a team, aren't they meant to be friends?
In fact we see her hanging out with Kokoro & co a lot, but haven't seen hide nor hair of her teammates. What is going on with Team Flash?

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 15, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Mary's said on stream that whatever's motivating her is not trauma.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
She could also just be being a dipshit. She's what, like 15? Teens can be monsters to each other, they're still growing up. Cassidy is being a complete jerk to Undine, but that doesn't make her outside of the norm for most kids at some point.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Cass is also being a jerk because she's worried about HP (probably because she's one of the million girls with a crush on HP) and like Tenebrais said she seems to value the circle of friends she's made in the training group more than her own team. So when this new girl who lost her team under "mysterious circumstances" shows up and becomes the center of HP's attention, that does come off a bit sus, particularly if you're a dumbass teenager.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Especially with a crush and Bud constantly gossipping about her HP and Undine ship. At that age it's real easy to let jealousy twist the 'interloper' into a monster.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
She's also got hella teen angst which we can see since her powers revolve around cutting herself.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cass Backstory is going to own and I look forward to the Cassididscourse

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

habeasdorkus posted:

yeah, there's something weird about how HP's family were killed. The monster was just chillin' in a corner of the room when they found it. Makes me wonder if there's more to it than just tragedy.

Gonna spoil this since if my assumption is true then this is gonna go some darker places then it already is. That monster was HP's mom. The goop girl is a prior magical girl who also lost her powers/transformed into that thing and has a huge chip on her shoulder over it. The reason the goop girl is following around Tessa is because given some time she'll probably end up like her giving her a new friend rather then existing in a horrible lonely existence watching people enjoying the things she can no longer do.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

LemonRind posted:

Gonna spoil this since if my assumption is true then this is gonna go some darker places then it already is. That monster was HP's mom. The goop girl is a prior magical girl who also lost her powers/transformed into that thing and has a huge chip on her shoulder over it. The reason the goop girl is following around Tessa is because given some time she'll probably end up like her giving her a new friend rather then existing in a horrible lonely existence watching people enjoying the things she can no longer do.

That seems a bit too close to straight up ripping off Madoka honestly. Also leaves a big gap regarding who or what Gold is.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LemonRind posted:

That doesn't work, the monster left a trail of ice as it broke into the house.
We can probably work out exactly the timeline of events
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-27
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-28
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-29
Monster slinks along from wherever it generates, it climbs the window, it breaks into a nearby room (doesnt seem to be Kokoro's room since it's further away, Starlight passes another door so its probably that room near the entrance), Mitsuki probably rushes to Kokoro while the grandparents distract the monster. I'd guess the grandpa probably tried distracting it in particular while the grandmother ran outside to fet the flair. Gramps gets completely frozen over, gradnma gets out the door but taken down with her legs frozen, getst he flare off as she goes down to a shard from the back, then it slinks back to take care of the other person in the house (probably bursts the door open with ice, judging by the trails at the bottom) and then just hunkers down for a bit.

if there's Mystery to this it's a question of did the ice monster not see kokoro as a threat, did it leave her alone to draw other magical girls in, was goop guiding it and hosed off, etc but the ice monster seems to be unrelated to Mitsuki

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

rannum posted:

That doesn't work, the monster left a trail of ice as it broke into the house.
We can probably work out exactly the timeline of events
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-27
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-28
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-10-page-29
Monster slinks along from wherever it generates, it climbs the window, it breaks into a nearby room (doesnt seem to be Kokoro's room since it's further away, Starlight passes another door so its probably that room near the entrance), Mitsuki probably rushes to Kokoro while the grandparents distract the monster. I'd guess the grandpa probably tried distracting it in particular while the grandmother ran outside to fet the flair. Gramps gets completely frozen over, gradnma gets out the door but taken down with her legs frozen, getst he flare off as she goes down to a shard from the back, then it slinks back to take care of the other person in the house (probably bursts the door open with ice, judging by the trails at the bottom) and then just hunkers down for a bit.

if there's Mystery to this it's a question of did the ice monster not see kokoro as a threat, did it leave her alone to draw other magical girls in, was goop guiding it and hosed off, etc but the ice monster seems to be unrelated to Mitsuki
Yeah, looking at all this I agree. Actually, I think the monster might have been unable to get to Kokoro, since it looks like Mitsuki was in the process of dragging the fallen wardrobe in front of the closet door when the monster got into the room and froze her legs. Literally, her frozen body is keeping the wardrobe pinned in place, and I strongly suspect the monster isn't super physically strong, since it just attacks with ice magic. It was strong and dexterous enough to open a window and break in once the inner barrier had cracked there, so it could certainly open doors, but I don't think it could shove away Mitsuki and the wardrobe, and it might not have been smart enough to just try sending ice through the door.

The monsters being based on fears kinda clarifies things with why they cause weird magic screaming nightmares, actually. Obviously a big enough dose of that is fatal, I'm pretty sure that's what killed Mitsuki and not strictly the cold, since it's implied not much time passed between the flare and her body being discovered, and Grandma Watanabe got impaled but monster contact had clearly taken a toll on her, too. Maybe the monsters are so fixated on attacking humans because they crave that release of negative energy, or something?

EDIT: Hell, if that's the case, it might have been sated enough from the earlier deaths that putting in a ton of energy to get a baby just wasn't worth it. It's a bit hard to figure out the monsters, they don't seem very smart unless Goops is directing them to give them strategy, but we don't really have any idea of if something can just be bothersome enough they won't go in for an attack, given they spend most nights gnawing on the inner barrier.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 16, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Hell, if that's the case, it might have been sated enough from the earlier deaths that putting in a ton of energy to get a baby just wasn't worth it. It's a bit hard to figure out the monsters, they don't seem very smart unless Goops is directing them to give them strategy, but we don't really have any idea of if something can just be bothersome enough they won't go in for an attack, given they spend most nights gnawing on the inner barrier.

There's been no real indication yet as to what the monsters are or want at all, really. We've seen what happens to the people they attack, but not why. Nor do we know how or why they get in for four hours around midnight. The most I've managed to figure out is they seem to be dream-related, since they're mostly based on fears and nightmares and the magical girls themselves get their powers through dreams too. But who knows how any of that works?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tenebrais posted:

That seems a bit too close to straight up ripping off Madoka honestly. Also leaves a big gap regarding who or what Gold is.

Mary herself apparently said that no, the monsters are not dead kids, and no, there are no Faustian bargains here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

There's been no real indication yet as to what the monsters are or want at all, really. We've seen what happens to the people they attack, but not why. Nor do we know how or why they get in for four hours around midnight. The most I've managed to figure out is they seem to be dream-related, since they're mostly based on fears and nightmares and the magical girls themselves get their powers through dreams too. But who knows how any of that works?
Yeah pretty much. It makes me want to see books from in-setting except I'm pretty sure the CDD would also just have a big shrug. Not like the monsters seem at all interested in answering questions even if they were able to talk, and you can't exactly follow them around during non-hunting hours. Do they even exist at other times of day? We just don't know!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Mary Cagle, I'd imagine. :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1005804609443680256
:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah monsters are a big question mark.
There's a bunch of big mysteries in the setting, but monsters haven't really been questioned oustide the context of when they get weirdly stronger or how Goop can lead/control them around. It's all fairly passive, where as we see & hear talk about, say, the barrier being mysterious.

I wonder when we'll see a monster "spawn in", we've only ever seen them already out.