Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

This arrived today.

I am happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

ThirstyBuck posted:

This arrived today.

I am happy.

I know roast coffee usually has about a month of good shelf life, but how long does green coffee last before roasting?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

i own every Bionicle posted:

I know roast coffee usually has about a month of good shelf life, but how long does green coffee last before roasting?

You'd be surprised!

E: to know that it is highly variable!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

i own every Bionicle posted:

I'm reeling. A month!

The rule of 15's has worked for me; 15 months for green, 15 days for roasted (still to old), 15 minutes for ground, and 15 seconds for espresso (well not really but really). A lot of talk about this revolves around the word stale, which I'd say is to pejorative; to my taste, older coffee tends to loose the notes and flavors that make it unique to it's origin, but not have a 'bad' taste.

Anyway, rule of thumb, 15 months.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

porktree posted:

I'm reeling. A month!

The rule of 15's has worked for me; 15 months for green, 15 days for roasted (still to old), 15 minutes for ground, and 15 seconds for espresso (well not really but really). A lot of talk about this revolves around the word stale, which I'd say is to pejorative; to my taste, older coffee tends to loose the notes and flavors that make it unique to it's origin, but not have a 'bad' taste.

Anyway, rule of thumb, 15 months.

Yeah if Sweet Maria's is to be believed, isn't green coffee basically God's Perfect Long-lived Pantry Staple?

What I'm saying is I'm stockpiling for when the international coffee spigot runs dry so I can lord over a petty coffee kingdom. :clint::coffee:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
As others have mentioned, it keeps just fine for over a year. I keep all my green beans in their bags inside of a big locking food container that holds about 12 of the 1lb bags.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This might be a stupid question or have a really involved answer, but do different beans/roasts drain significantly differently if ground ostensibly the same? Do they drain differently as they age? I'm trying to hone in my v60 technique and I sometimes randomly just get wildly different drain times. The grind size looks about the same to me but I know my Infinity isn't the most consistent grinder in the world. It's nothing that ruins my coffee or anything but the swing is probably 30+ seconds.

I use James Hoffmann's v60 method and I wonder if the last swirl sometimes moves all the fines to the bottom point of the filter and they gum up the works?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

RichterIX posted:

This might be a stupid question or have a really involved answer, but do different beans/roasts drain significantly differently if ground ostensibly the same? Do they drain differently as they age? I'm trying to hone in my v60 technique and I sometimes randomly just get wildly different drain times. The grind size looks about the same to me but I know my Infinity isn't the most consistent grinder in the world. It's nothing that ruins my coffee or anything but the swing is probably 30+ seconds.

I use James Hoffmann's v60 method and I wonder if the last swirl sometimes moves all the fines to the bottom point of the filter and they gum up the works?

Yes age will change how a coffee brews
Yes bean to bean regardless of roast there's a lot of variables that'll also impact your brewing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just buy a beehouse dripper or a kalita wave. So much easier. You can buy 200 Kalita filters on Amazon for $14 and the Beehouse uses standard flat bottom filters. The V60 was designed to brew fast and I'm sure it's useful in a busy cafe.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

RichterIX posted:

I recently went back to use up some beans that were left in the bottom of an old bag. They drained waaaay faster than they did a couple of months ago when they were fresh. Method/equipment was exactly the same.

Edit: Still tasted good though.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 15, 2020

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mu Zeta posted:

Just buy a beehouse dripper or a kalita wave. So much easier. You can buy 200 Kalita filters on Amazon for $14 and the Beehouse uses standard flat bottom filters. The V60 was designed to brew fast and I'm sure it's useful in a busy cafe.

I usually like the product I get from the v60 I just find it's fiddly-ness curious sometimes, especially when the rest of my tools are maybe not quite up to snuff.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

RichterIX posted:

I have found the same thing. I’ve got a pretty good grinder (Lido E) and basically ground so fine that it got astringent and bitter and backed off until it tasted good. I can get also get +/- 20 seconds depending on freshness and variety, as well as just waiting a few too many seconds after boiling to start, or pouring technique. I’m on the short side of brew time (2:20-3:00 for 300 grams) so I’m tempted to grind finer but I know I’m close to the edge already and the coffee tastes great so :shrug:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Eureka Mignon Specialita? I've seen people favourably compare it to the Baratza Sette 270, citing superior reliability. They both cost around £350 here in the UK.

Bucky_Grid
Jul 21, 2007

Gunder posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Eureka Mignon Specialita? I've seen people favourably compare it to the Baratza Sette 270, citing superior reliability. They both cost around £350 here in the UK.

I just recently picked up a Specialita in December. I was looking at both, as you are, but decided to go with the Specialita based on what I had read regarding reliability. I bought it from espressocoffeeshop, so it ended up being about the same price as a Sette was in the US.

So far I have no complaints whatsoever! It is definitely a high-quality, well put together grinder and I anticipate that it will last for years without issues. I’m extremely new to espresso, but I’ve been using it as a single dose grinder with good results so far. There is a little bit of clumping, but nothing too terrible. Based on everything that I’ve read the Sette has less retention, is faster, maybe slightly less clumping, and is much louder.

Since you are in the UK, another thing to consider is tech support for the Sette. While I’ve heard nothing but stellar reviews for Baratza tech support in the US, I believe other countries have to go through their distributors for parts/etc once the warranty ends which can be a huge pain in the rear end.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Received the ruby red Specialita today. The difference in grind quality between this and the built-in grinder in my Sage Barista Pro is vast. No clumps at all. Really easy to dial in too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you supposed to tip if you just order a cold brew to go and bring your own mug? I tip a dollar when I get an espresso drink but not cold brew.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

When I was barista I thought mean things about everyone who didn't tip even if they just asked a question and then didn't order.

:justpost: but instead of post it says tip.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you supposed to tip if you just order a cold brew to go and bring your own mug? I tip a dollar when I get an espresso drink but not cold brew.

I’m not tipping someone just to pour something from a pitcher into a cup with some ice or milk added. I could see tipping someone for an espresso or anything where they are tamping something and it requires a level of skill higher than just pouring something.

I also wouldn’t tip someone at McDonald’s if I just ordered a soda.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Like how much does a $1 mean to you that you're sitting here plotting out when it's ok to skip tipping? It's not hard. Just. Tip.

Even if it's just pouring a pitcher they still had to prep that pitcher and mop up the mess when the new guy spilled it this morning because it was his first time and didn't know that one trick to avoid making a mess.

And that's not even getting into the whole mess that is "tips are probably 30-50% of their income and lovely business owners have placed the onus of supporting their lovely practices on you the customer"

E: for reference around here the average hourly wage for a barista is something like $10/hr. McDonald's starts people at $14/hr.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sextro posted:

Like how much does a $1 mean to you that you're sitting here plotting out when it's ok to skip tipping? It's not hard. Just. Tip.

Even if it's just pouring a pitcher they still had to prep that pitcher and mop up the mess when the new guy spilled it this morning because it was his first time and didn't know that one trick to avoid making a mess.

And that's not even getting into the whole mess that is "tips are probably 30-50% of their income and lovely business owners have placed the onus of supporting their lovely practices on you the customer"

E: for reference around here the average hourly wage for a barista is something like $10/hr. McDonald's starts people at $14/hr.

Not changing my mind. I also don’t tip when I pickup takeout.

We’re not going to agree because we have completely different views. You just said you got mad whenever someone would even ask a question without ordering and decided not to tip you.

:can:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

nwin posted:

Not changing my mind. I also don’t tip when I pickup takeout.

We’re not going to agree because we have completely different views. You just said you got mad whenever someone would even ask a question without ordering and decided not to tip you.

:can:

I understand text isn't a great medium for sarcasm, but that particular statement was tongue in cheek.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sextro posted:

I'm in San Francisco and the baristas here make $17 + tips on top of that. I do appreciate the work that goes into good coffee and think espresso drinks require a tip because I can't do that latte art poo poo at home. But c'mon cold brew is super easy to make and you're just pressing a button to dispense it.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I'm curious if anyone who thinks you shouldn't tip on every purchase has worked service industry jobs? Genuine question.

I was a barista for a number of years after college, and I think a $1 tip per coffee is appropriate, regardless of what you ordered. To me a tip is not a reward for excellent service, but an understanding that the real cost of a cup of coffee is higher than its price on the menu — i.e., the barista sees the least from your $3 coffee, even though they do the most (at least on this side of the world — coffee producers are the ones who are really taken advantage of, and that's a whole different conversation). It would be great to live in a world where a tip was a fun little bonus for amazing service, but unfortunately that is not the reality (in the US, at least). As a barista, I didn't look down on people who didn't tip, but those who did made it possible for me to live on a barista wage.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dumb question, but if I'm paying with debit card can they add a tip at starbucks if i say so in advance? I typically don't carry small bills with me anymore, just emergency cash. I don't want to be the guy who doesn't tip but god drat cash is stupid.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I always tip If it's the cafe allows me to tip on a credit card..I rarely have cash and feel bad not tipping and yeah I used to sling some pizzas and tipping made me have a decent wage. I can't imagine getting mad about people tipping though because I would probably be awful to be around but also I can't imagine associating with anyone that says they don't tip in general so....

I rarely eat out but when I do usually tip about 25-30%, a really good tip used to make my day and I hope when I leave it helps the person out in some way be it for bills or maybe some sweet drugs

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Dumb question, but if I'm paying with debit card can they add a tip at starbucks if i say so in advance? I typically don't carry small bills with me anymore, just emergency cash. I don't want to be the guy who doesn't tip but god drat cash is stupid.

Here's a tip, don't go to starbucks :smug:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I rarely eat out but when I do usually tip about 25-30%, a really good tip used to make my day and I hope when I leave it helps the person out in some way be it for bills or maybe some sweet drugs

Same, the extra few bucks don't mean that much to me and if I can make someone elses day happier/better it is totally worth it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you tip at a bar when ordering a beer or whiskey or something not mixed?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I tip on drinks, but not when I’m just picking up a new bag of beans from my local spot.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
So my Skerton is showing it's age. The threads on the burr shaft have worn the upper sleeve/bushing and the shaft wobbles a ton despite having done the Orphan Espresso lower bearing upgrade and trying to better center the burr. I want to upgrade but I'm having decision paralysis.

I was thinking about getting an Encore, but the convenience of an electric grinder may not be worth it for me. I really only have time to make myself good coffee during the weekend so, this made me look at the Lido, where I could get better consistency at the sake of still having to hand grind. I typically make 1000ml batches, so that means large amounts of grinds, and I usually use a Chemex or a French Press.

Does anyone know how long it'll take to grind ~60-70g with the Lido to medium-coarse? It always took a few minutes with the Skerton, and I've heard that the Lido is much faster, but how much faster?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

So my Skerton is showing it's age. The threads on the burr shaft have worn the upper sleeve/bushing and the shaft wobbles a ton despite having done the Orphan Espresso lower bearing upgrade and trying to better center the burr. I want to upgrade but I'm having decision paralysis.

I was thinking about getting an Encore, but the convenience of an electric grinder may not be worth it for me. I really only have time to make myself good coffee during the weekend so, this made me look at the Lido, where I could get better consistency at the sake of still having to hand grind. I typically make 1000ml batches, so that means large amounts of grinds, and I usually use a Chemex or a French Press.

Does anyone know how long it'll take to grind ~60-70g with the Lido to medium-coarse? It always took a few minutes with the Skerton, and I've heard that the Lido is much faster, but how much faster?

I can't speak to the speed of the Lido, but here in the UK, the Encore is actually cheaper than a Lido. How expensive are Encores where you live?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm in the US. The Encore is $140. The Lido is $185.

I figured that the $45 bucks isn't a huge difference in price.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

grahm posted:

I'm curious if anyone who thinks you shouldn't tip on every purchase has worked service industry jobs? Genuine question.

I was a barista for a number of years after college, and I think a $1 tip per coffee is appropriate, regardless of what you ordered. To me a tip is not a reward for excellent service, but an understanding that the real cost of a cup of coffee is higher than its price on the menu — i.e., the barista sees the least from your $3 coffee, even though they do the most (at least on this side of the world — coffee producers are the ones who are really taken advantage of, and that's a whole different conversation). It would be great to live in a world where a tip was a fun little bonus for amazing service, but unfortunately that is not the reality (in the US, at least). As a barista, I didn't look down on people who didn't tip, but those who did made it possible for me to live on a barista wage.

<empty quote>

Gunder
May 22, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

I'm in the US. The Encore is $140. The Lido is $185.

I figured that the $45 bucks isn't a huge difference in price.

I think I’m not really understanding your quandary. Why not just get the Encore? It’s cheaper and a lot less elbow grease? What do you gain by going with the Lido?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Gunder posted:

I think I’m not really understanding your quandary. Why not just get the Encore? It’s cheaper and a lot less elbow grease? What do you gain by going with the Lido?

An infinitely better grind

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ah, I didn’t know the encore was that much worse than the lido.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I guess I wanted to know if the Lido is worth it over the Encore in terms of grind quality and and whether the time to grind is reasonable for my use cases and quantities.

I don't mind getting a hand grinder, but not if it takes as long as the Skerton. I've heard people say it's faster, but I've never seen anything where similar amounts of beans are compared at similar grind sizes.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

PolishPandaBear posted:

I guess I wanted to know if the Lido is worth it over the Encore in terms of grind quality and and whether the time to grind is reasonable for my use cases and quantities.

I don't mind getting a hand grinder, but not if it takes as long as the Skerton. I've heard people say it's faster, but I've never seen anything where similar amounts of beans are compared at similar grind sizes.

It is night and day faster than a Skerton.

And yep, the Lido gives you the grind quality of a 700$+ grinder.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PolishPandaBear posted:

I have a Baratza Encore and the Lido 2. I pretty much never use the Baratza now. Manual grinding is a pleasure with the LIDO. If I start grinding 23g of beans at the same time I heat the water I'm done long before the kettle comes to boil.

Thumposaurus posted:

Do you tip at a bar when ordering a beer or whiskey or something not mixed?

Nope, but I also don't drink alcohol.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

speaking of the lido, does anyone know the differences between the 3, the e and the e-t?

e: oh, i think i have it, didn't realise my search result kept getting redirected to a retailer instead of OE

Hauki fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 28, 2020