Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh poo poo, I didn't even consider that the Wolves might have paralogues. That's exciting. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even consider that the Wolves might have paralogues. That's exciting. :dance:

Yep. Yuri and Balthus don’t get to start with their side story relics. And it’s kind of weird, since so far, either the Side Story can’t happen with a canon run, or it happens very differently

Maybe after Byleth meets them, they time skip back to the start to get their new friends early

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yep. Yuri and Balthus don’t get to start with their side story relics. And it’s kind of weird, since so far, either the Side Story can’t happen with a canon run, or it happens very differently

Maybe after Byleth meets them, they time skip back to the start to get their new friends early

Hell, even Alferic has a quest after when the scenario takes place.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

McTimmy posted:

Hell, even Alferic has a quest after when the scenario takes place.

Byleth finding and interacting with Abyss much earlier probably makes it more of a priority for Seteth and Rhea, maybe? I know Seteth sends guards down there for a few months. With the Church keeping a closer eye, Aelfric never gets his chance to do the ritual.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

If you wanna do it for free, just dont watch the B rank cutscenes (or A if they have an A+ scene) for anyone you don't want them to pair with.
And leave supports unwatched??? Why do you think i play this game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Should I blow all my money at this secret shop

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
How about you just try to lock in pairings normally (never been a problem for me at least, even though I watch all the supports) and use the renown option in case anything goes wrong? So you work towards Sylvain/Felix, but then Ingrid sticks too close to either of them, so you fix it?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I started using all the stat items that had been piling up in my inventory so I finally noticed that while all my other magic users were at 26-27 Mag Lysithea was at 40 lol

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
That's pretty typical. Lysithea's rep is well earned.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Do the Wolves have new designs after the timeskip?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Do the Wolves have new designs after the timeskip?
yeah, though they dont change much. not that their art isn't entirely new post-timeskip or anything, just that none of them shift as much as say, mercedes or lorenz. id say the best glowup is constance.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I started using all the stat items that had been piling up in my inventory so I finally noticed that while all my other magic users were at 26-27 Mag Lysithea was at 40 lol
Between her bonkers stat growths and her spell list, Lysithea will almost always turn out to be, like, the best unit in the game

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Thinking about maybe getting this game.
What did this game replace the weapon triangle with? I only ever heard "character skills" or something.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Item Getter posted:

What did this game replace the weapon triangle with? I only ever heard "character skills" or something.

There are skills you learn once you reach a certain weapon level (I think it's weapon level B) that give you a bonus to dodge and hit against the weapon type they would traditionally be strong against. So, Sword B unlocks Axebreaker and you get +20 to hit and dodge when fighting axe enemies with a sword equipped. Lances unlock Swordbreaker, Axes unlock Lancebreaker.

Enemies tend not to have these skills equipped (outside of the endgame where they're more common, or the DLC where it feels every melee enemy has one) so they tend not to have an advantage against the weapon they would in previous games, but you can give up a skill slot (you have like 5, and some skills are really useful, like +1 Mov, +6 to damage/speed on initiation, bonuses from crit to hit to damage when using specific weapon/magic types etc) to get that advantage if you want it.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 15, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why is that the only question you have lol

There is no weapon triangle, but at high skill levels in weapons every character will learn an ability that replicates one part of the triangle for the respective weapon, for example hit/avo +20 while using a sword against an axe. Late in the game high-level enemies may also have these skills.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Item Getter posted:

it didn't strictly replace it with anything but here's some stuff it has which is different from some of the previous games:

- battalions are basically 'super attacks' you get to make a limited number of times per map, and enemies can also have them
- some enemies are 'monsters' that take up multiple tiles and interact with battalions differently
- combat arts from Echoes are back and are tied to specific weapons - archers default to 2-3 range but Curved Shot gives you an extra +1 range on top of that, for example, and anti-armor or anti-cavalry effects are split up across other weapon types

as far as 'character skills' go:

- characters have different aptitudes in weapons so their skill ranks in those weapons grow faster or slower, so edelgard is specifically an axe-wielding lesbian rather than a lance-wielding one even though she can theoretically use lances
- there are skills for each weapon type that buff your combat stats with that weapon, so using more than one weapon type is harder (initially it's hit/avoid/evade but later you get -faire skills which are +5 damage)
- the -breaker skills are back, producing a one-sided weapon triangle-esque effect
- also characters have unique personal skills which isn't related to this but might be what people mean when they mention character skills???

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Amppelix posted:

And leave supports unwatched??? Why do you think i play this game

You can save the game to a different file after watching the supports and then reload the unsupported file and they'll get added to your support log.

Fun thing I learned from doing this is that some supports become unattainable if you do them too slow. Caspar and Petra cannot get an A support if you're on Verdant Wind or Silver Snow and they haven't sealed the deal before Caspar's dad dies.

Item Getter posted:

They made weapon ranks central to character growth, so characters will unlock skills, spells and special attacks as they progress through the ranks. One of those skills gives you the appropriate triangle bonus (e.g. reaching rank B in lances will give you the swordbreaker skill, which gives +20 hit/avoid when using a lance against swords), but otherwise the triangle is just gone.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Is there a list of ones that get locked out? There's really not many but I think Ingrid seems to have the most locked ones.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Best minor change in the patch: the game now actually displays the breed of the cat/dog you're talking to

it was really bizarre how the only place those names were before was in the online rankings list so you could never see all of them. now i can properly appreciate all these fraldarius wirehairs!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's great that there's now a female accessible class specializing in brawling, and yet...

They still have not been able to figure out how to position the weapon models to account for female characters' shorter arms. This kills me every single time I notice it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's really interesting to me that they're advanced classes and not Master.
I guess that's them saying "yea, master classes aren't where you should be aiming", I guess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Amppelix posted:

It's great that there's now a female accessible class specializing in brawling, and yet...

They still have not been able to figure out how to position the weapon models to account for female characters' shorter arms. This kills me every single time I notice it.

Maybe I’m just dumb, but why don’t they handle it like shields where they look different based on the class and make separate fist models for female units?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Growth rates, Yuri looks good. Balthus is basically a strong Raphael with slightly less HP.

Casters are yikes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

There's a number of things they could do to fix this and they've done none of them!

Sort of relatedly, the DLC made me realise (thanks to Hilda) that female Warriors don't use the special axe animation set that male units gain in it for seemingly no reason.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

It's really interesting to me that they're advanced classes and not Master.
I guess that's them saying "yea, master classes aren't where you should be aiming", I guess.

They're not really comparable to advanced classes, either, just because they show up at level 20. Every advanced class (except wyvern rider) follows directly from an intermediate class in terms of required skills, while all the DLC classes require two conflicting skill sets. They're more of an in-between tier than anything.

I mean, Trickster doesn't actually require leveling a thief; just that the character has the class unlocked, but the idea is there.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 15, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Growth rates, Yuri looks good. Balthus is basically a strong Raphael with slightly less HP.

Casters are yikes.
Constance has bolting and Lysitheas magic growth

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

Constance has bolting and Lysitheas magic growth

And a Crest that occasionally saves magic uses.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bolting is the only thing she's got going for her, which isn't for a long time.

On other hand, Hapi looks like just a better Lynhardt. Better offensive spells, relatively same growths, and has access to the female classes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd probably try to build Constance towards gremory if anything (assuming she has a good faith list)

Yuri is the one I'm not sure what to do with. Even in the dlc I'm not finding him that great outside of being a second heal source.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Being fast is good.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
He was a great dodge tank towards the end of the DLC.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Yuri learns Windsweep at C+ which is cool, that's normally a A rank move

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah Yuri’s purpose is to be a dodge tank sword user who can teleport across the map and canto without a mount and sometimes throw out a heal.

He makes perfect sense in Trickster.

I still can’t figure out if Lysithea wants the flyer mobility or the Valkyrie range more though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lysithea does not want dark flier as it does not come with dark tomefaire. Valkyrie does have dark magic range, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Losing the double casts is a bit rubbish as well.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Amppelix posted:

Lysithea does not want dark flier as it does not come with dark tomefaire. Valkyrie does have dark magic range, though.

Taear posted:

Losing the double casts is a bit rubbish as well.

This is true but Valkyrie plus her Lorenz’s relic gives her 1-5 range.

I’m thinking Dark Flyer Marianne and Valkyrie Lysithea. Maybe Trickster Ignatz as well since I was planning on making him an Assassin but I’m less sure on that.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 15, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I do think Ignatz is perfect for Assassin. Then again Trickster just absolutely doesn't feel like my sort of class.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bernie's dad retconned into protective, lol

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you're going to post something like that you should at least also post what you're reacting to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Amppelix posted:

If you're going to post something like that you should at least also post what you're reacting to

It's the Tae special, cynical comments that make you feel a little bit worse about whatever you were enjoying previously