Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

You're all being so nice omg :stoked:
That is loving awesome, so pleased for you A!

Also if anyone wants to watch Frankie Boyle argue with a powerful centrism elemental, here's a clip from 2014 that YouTube seemed desperate for me to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRz9RPlsDQ

Interesting mostly in light of how certain Osman is that what he thinks and says is of course correct, even when Boyle corrects him on figures and he plows on as if he's still right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

bump_fn posted:

yeah a friend whose helping a relative move to the uk for work was just flatly told by metrobank that the relative couldn’t open an account because she doesn’t speak english (friend was acting as interpreter)

asked to get it in writing but the manager just said “it’s in our terms and conditions”

Ah yes, "able to speak English", that famously binary concept.

Important update: Sochi has cats (and dogs but I don't like dogs)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bump_fn posted:

yeah a friend whose helping a relative move to the uk for work was just flatly told by metrobank that the relative couldn’t open an account because she doesn’t speak english (friend was acting as interpreter)

asked to get it in writing but the manager just said “it’s in our terms and conditions”

They're talking out of their arse. Their T&Cs say they'll only accept instructions and communicate in English, which is pretty standard - but it doesn't mean they can't use an interpreter.

I imagine the manager's read that and interpreted it as 'no forrins'. If they still want to bank there they could raise a complaint - but they'll definitely deny saying what they said unless it's in writing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

thespaceinvader posted:

Neither has been worth watching in years. Last Leg started out vaguely leftist and has trended more and more liberal/fake neutral over the years, MTW lost its bite when it lost Frankie Boyle and Hugh Dennis got oooooooooooold.

Granted I only watched the one ep of it, but was checking out some Youtube vids of the recent seasons there, and it seems they have moved from dark humor to loving kindergarten word puns.
As if they all turned into Milton Jones.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bobstar posted:

I don't like dogs

As a result of a bad experience or something else? :ohdear:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

i'm very sorry

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1228345479634784256

https://twitter.com/jcullinane86/status/1228671004924416006

Just yer Lisa 'Towns' Nandy not talking to the head of the Labour council she's visiting the town of.

He was literally breaking ground on 76 new social houses just around the corner.

(Oh, and one of the folks with her in the street is a wealthy backer, and husband of utter melt Johanna Baxter, NEC candidate)

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Nandy is a melt. She is unwilling to call the culture war what it is (a losing strategy for the left who like to pretend it doesn’t exist), thinks the future is appealing to historically working class pensioners or near pensioners rather than social carers, retail workers and the rest of the ‘new’ working class.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

It's going to be an interesting election in May

After UKIP collapsed following the vote to stay in the EU and the voters didn't return to Cameron, I think Labour has a really good chance. Especially as Corbyn just won his fourth no-confidence vote/leadership contest.

Fingers crossed.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
For a town with 11,200 residents, 76 houses does not seem significant. The house building program this country need should be nothing short of revolutionary in scope, with an increase of the housing stock of more than 50%.

I would love to see more inspired designs that what we have right now too, are there any proposals for mass housing construction?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Collateral posted:

For a town with 11,200 residents, 76 houses does not seem significant. The house building program this country need should be nothing short of revolutionary in scope, with an increase of the housing stock of more than 50%.

I would love to see more inspired designs that what we have right now too, are there any proposals for mass housing construction?

This is 76 on top of the others they've built.

It's not enough, no, but it's a drat sight more than anywhere else is building.

As per Joe's tweet of November -

https://twitter.com/jcullinane86/status/1190242691138957314

They're committed to 1575, I believe since the 2017 council elections.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Collateral posted:

All our builders are too busy on HS2 and the NI-Scotland Bridge.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It is good to see. The scale of the problem facing the country is daunting, and not an insignificant contributor to the Leave vote. I would love to see a building program on the scale of the Khrushchyovkas, only not poo poo buildings.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This is a good video:

https://twitter.com/rlong_bailey/status/1228652756786929665

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Collateral posted:

I would love to see a building program on the scale of the Khrushchyovkas, only not poo poo buildings.
[goddamnedtwisto intensifies]

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I haven’t signed up to any campaigns for the Labour leadership/deputy election but just received a text asking if I was supporting Dr Rosena are they allowed to do this? I assume they got my details from my Labour membership, but not sure if they can just text me out of the blue like that

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Watching the Glasgow hustings on the stream (we were going to go, but then we saw it was at the SEC and lol)

Burgon’s pretty solid, actually. He’s unambiguously the most Correct guy on the stage and his greatest crime is being kind of... dull? Nothing that couldn’t be polished out.

My friend is saying Rayner sounds like a beat poet and he’s not wrong. She can really work the mic, big attack dog energy.

Murray with a five o clock shadow looking like he’s been drinking and crying. Awful awful awful on basically every question.

Honestly any of Butler/Allin-Khan/Burgon/Rayner seem good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Looke posted:

I haven’t signed up to any campaigns for the Labour leadership/deputy election but just received a text asking if I was supporting Dr Rosena are they allowed to do this? I assume they got my details from my Labour membership, but not sure if they can just text me out of the blue like that

Get used to this because every time there’s an internal election you’re going to have texts coming out your ears.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't know if this has been suggested because I haven't been keeping up with the thread but all of those discussing violence itt should read zizek's book on the subject if they haven't already. I'm not certain about his conclusion but it does a good job of defining the different types of violence and how they interact, and it's fairly accessibility written for a work of philosophy

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

As a result of a bad experience or something else? :ohdear:

I may be exaggerating. They're not as bad as orange/mint chocolate (and yes some bad experiences)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Why would someone do this? I haven't even been objectionable recently!

My poor big Chomky boi

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Little late on this but fucken lol at Daddy "get your life together before you criticize the world" Peterson's current everything really.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Looke posted:

Today is the day that Labour allowed the campaigns access to the central Labour membership database. The campaigns are all given a certain number of emails and texts they’re allowed to send out with it, and there’s been a negotiation behind the scenes for what order they’re in. I don’t know much about the deputy contest, but presumably Rosena got first dibs.

Phone calls are not restricted though I believe, so there will be a flurry of calling from now until next week when the ballots drop.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Why would someone do this? I haven't even been objectionable recently!

My poor big Chomky boi
I read this as Chomsky boi and now I have that absurdity stuck in my head.

Colorless ideas
Sleep furiously
Can I make it any more obvious?
He was a punk
She was the State
What more can I say?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Thanks for the info comrades

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

a neurotic ai posted:

Nandy is a melt. She is unwilling to call the culture war what it is (a losing strategy for the left who like to pretend it doesn’t exist), thinks the future is appealing to historically working class pensioners or near pensioners rather than social carers, retail workers and the rest of the ‘new’ working class.

Can you explain what you mean by the culture war?

I'd assume the culture war we have currently is largely about immigrants and trans people, and I'd rather not throw them under the bus even if backing them is a losing strategy for the left, which it probably is. Or do you mean another culture war?

I was talking to my (Labour voting) dad about Bernie Sanders yesterday and he was enthusiastic but kind of rolled his eyes when the topic of trans rights came up, and asked me what % of the population they are, he's sick of hearing about it. I lectured him about why he was wrong but I can do that with my dad, politicians can't really do that to voters.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

I was talking to my (Labour voting) dad about Bernie Sanders yesterday and he was enthusiastic but kind of rolled his eyes when the topic of trans rights came up, and asked me what % of the population they are, he's sick of hearing about it.
They're a far larger percentage of the population than people employed by the fishing sector are, and yet we have to hear all about fishing rights all the drat time.

Speaking of which, (cn transphobic dickheads) it's always fun to read about the UK press from the outside.

quote:

UK feminists are not always aligned on trans rights issues in the UK, where the trans-exclusionary radical feminist movement has a strong foothold and is covered favorably by the media.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/jelly_pack/status/1228683464389615616

Not gonna lie this a bit disconcerting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a lot of morons in the country yes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think that, from what they are telling us. That is what a lot of people want. "I want to be told that I am a perfect special snowflake and anyone demonising me is a bullying racist" says the 65+ crowd who own their own houses and still think that they are radical because they haven't beaten up gay folks.

Also, if anyone can get in touch with who changed my avatar I'd like to know what I did to deserve this. I don't even know who the gently caress this person is?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh an josef if you want the old one back :

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Oh an josef if you want the old one back :

Thanks, will be back for this on payday.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I watched the Sonic film last night and it actually had a SANIC reference, I shall die happy now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the londonkerry thing was some politician went to ireland and confused kerry with derry. But I can't remember which thread I read about it in.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can access people's avatar history by loading up their avatar as a new page, then reducing the last number and changing the file extension. The forums for some reason just increments your avatar number every time you change it per-file extension.

Such as josef's roly poly shark

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 15, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

OwlFancier posted:

I think the londonkerry thing was some politician went to ireland and confused kerry with derry. But I can't remember which thread I read about it in.
It's Karen Bradley and I believe she was Northern Ireland secretary at the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

It's Karen Bradley and I believe she was Northern Ireland secretary at the time.

:lol:

It would make a very good joke if it wasn't real.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Josef bugman posted:

Guava you should fix it imo

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I think that, from what they are telling us. That is what a lot of people want. "I want to be told that I am a perfect special snowflake and anyone demonising me is a bullying racist" says the 65+ crowd who own their own houses and still think that they are radical because they haven't beaten up gay folks.

Also, if anyone can get in touch with who changed my avatar I'd like to know what I did to deserve this. I don't even know who the gently caress this person is?

Yeah it's just RLB veering closer to "Turn the dial to more racist and looking back for approval"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean she does explicitly say it's the tories and austerity that's the problem. She just doesn't open with "no you're wrong and an idiot", which I mean I would, but that's why I'm probably not a good pick for leader of the labour party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can access people's avatar history by loading up their avatar as a new page, then reducing the last number and changing the file extension. The forums for some reason just increments your avatar number every time you change it per-file extension.

Such as josef's roly poly shark

Although of course jpg/png/gif has its own separate numbering because radium dot php or something.

Josef bugman posted:

Jose posted:

Guava you should fix it imo
Done. Admins have to approve it tho.