Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My current camera savings account is for a GF670. I've been enamoured with the Fuji rangefinders and my X570 dying was the final push I needed to seriously start putting away for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Paul MaudDib posted:

do you like rangefinders in any other format at all?

a lot of rangefinders that you buy in tyool 2019 have super faded beamsplitter glass which fades out the patch significantly. a good CLA tech will replace this on a service.

locating a clean well-mainted copy of a camera can be very significant to overall ownership happiness.

I can tell you the difference in satisfaction and focusing speed/accuracy between when I owned a lovely 20s Crown Graphic and a well maintained 50s Crown Graphic was significant. 90 year old Kalart beamsplitters are Very Not Good.

I don't think so, I have an olympus XA and I never really use it.

The splitters on all of them are pretty good, not as good as a leica of course, but definitely easily usable.

My main problem with the rangefinder on the fujis is the loooong eye relief, and being a glasses wearer that can't see poo poo without glasses, there would be a lot of moving my head around just to see the corners of the rangefinder.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
But exposing over the sprocket holes is super hip

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

e: nope, sorry

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 15, 2020

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

you already know why you're having a problem four-eyes, don't waste my time with this

you asked.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

GreaseGunner posted:

But exposing over the sprocket holes is super hip

When’s lomo gonna give us a film stock that’s nothing but sprocket holes?

Light leaks snd sprocket holes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

New Pre-developed Lomo. You open the film canister and there’s a printed photo of nothing but sprocket holes that have been over exposed. Save the energy on having to go out and find something to photograph and save the money and time on having to get something developed. $39.95 per canister for the regular version, $59.95 for one with spiral bokeh

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sell it pre-expired and it’ll fly off the shelves.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Speaking of all that, the CEO of Yodica messaged me to say thanks for selling his film and to let him know if I needed any help with anything. I felt bad because I thought the film was all stupid and wasn't going to stock anymore. I ended up getting a few more rolls. He's a master salesman.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm getting film for an upcoming trip; I'll be getting my usual Portra 400 in both 35mm and 120; I'm also thinking about some Ektar and/or Ektachrome for some variety. How do the latter two films compare, given equivalent settings? I really don't have much experience with anything besides Portra 400.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm getting film for an upcoming trip; I'll be getting my usual Portra 400 in both 35mm and 120; I'm also thinking about some Ektar and/or Ektachrome for some variety. How do the latter two films compare, given equivalent settings? I really don't have much experience with anything besides Portra 400.

Ektar IME tends to be more vibrant in bright outdoor settings. Both have their reasons for being, but the general thread consensus tends to lean Portra.

My brother sent my 10 rolls of Fujifilm C200 for my birthday in January. This'll be a good excuse to learn C-41 developing since they're not the highest quality roll out there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Wild EEPROM posted:

I don't think so, I have an olympus XA and I never really use it.

wanna sell it?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Dudeabides posted:

Ektar IME tends to be more vibrant in bright outdoor settings. Both have their reasons for being, but the general thread consensus tends to lean Portra.

My brother sent my 10 rolls of Fujifilm C200 for my birthday in January. This'll be a good excuse to learn C-41 developing since they're not the highest quality roll out there.

Thanks; the trip is to the Smithsonian Institute museums, so most of my pictures will probably be indoors. I may get a few rolls of Ektar in case I end up going to the National Zoo. Hopefully the primates will hold still enough to take pictures at 100 ISO-appropriate shutter speeds.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

Thanks; the trip is to the Smithsonian Institute museums, so most of my pictures will probably be indoors. I may get a few rolls of Ektar in case I end up going to the National Zoo. Hopefully the primates will hold still enough to take pictures at 100 ISO-appropriate shutter speeds.

Unless they’re playing some team sport or racing cars you should manage to get some decent still shots with the right shutter speed.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Hell, I could even open up the aperture once in a while if I need to!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

Hell, I could even open up the aperture once in a while if I need to!

Well, yeah, if you want to do things the easy way. :rolleyes:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Action photography with analog cameras is hard!.
Got 1 shot from 2 rolls that was half-decent. At least I know that I now can use my Bronica for kendo photography.
Potra800 pushed 1 stop.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I dont remember if I brought it up here before, but if you paint a spot on your XA viewfinder with Blue Sharpie to make the rangefinder patch clearer, dont do it cause you're wasting your time.

Just use black and make sure the focus patch window is clean.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gonna shoot some provia soon—never used slide film before. I expect I won’t nail it the first time, but I’d like to mitigate mistakes nonetheless. Should I favor low contrast shots?

I’ve been sitting on two rolls for a while now, and I’m champing at the bit to try it out, but it’s so drat gray and boring this time of year. Probably wait for things to green up a bit.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
These last couple pages had me checking over my shoulder - I bought a Pentax645 as my first MF camera years ago, and I just had a Fuji GW690II arrive a few days ago. A quick test roll I put through it came out nicely and I'm really excited for my trip to the Oregon coast in a couple weeks.

Obligatory dog picture from the roll

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

President Beep posted:

Gonna shoot some provia soon—never used slide film before. I expect I won’t nail it the first time, but I’d like to mitigate mistakes nonetheless. Should I favor low contrast shots?

I’ve been sitting on two rolls for a while now, and I’m champing at the bit to try it out, but it’s so drat gray and boring this time of year. Probably wait for things to green up a bit.

I've only shot provia in 4x5 but it didn't really seem that different to negative film tbh. Sure you aren't going to pull back highlights as much buy by comparison the velvia 50 I shot was a contrast monster. I did notice it had a very blue cast if shot in full sunlight on a clear day, seemed nicer in morning or evening light.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

I've only shot provia in 4x5 but it didn't really seem that different to negative film tbh. Sure you aren't going to pull back highlights as much buy by comparison the velvia 50 I shot was a contrast monster. I did notice it had a very blue cast if shot in full sunlight on a clear day, seemed nicer in morning or evening light.

Cool. Thanks for the insight. Really looking forward to checking it out.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Fixer should be good as long as it tests ok, right? I've got some D-76 powder that's about to "expire" (I'm sure it's fine) But the Ilford Rapid Fix concentrate is a little over 2 years old at this point, well past how long they say you can leave an open bottle. It's not cloudy and doesn't smell too sulfury.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Arcella posted:

Fixer should be good as long as it tests ok, right? I've got some D-76 powder that's about to "expire" (I'm sure it's fine) But the Ilford Rapid Fix concentrate is a little over 2 years old at this point, well past how long they say you can leave an open bottle. It's not cloudy and doesn't smell too sulfury.

Test it on a leader and see what happens.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
So I was pouring it up to mix a working solution and it definitely is cloudy. Oh well, getting new fixer isn't too much of a pain, apart from wanting to do some developing today.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The heinous experience of "scanning" negatives with my digital camera has finally pushed me to buy a dedicated scanner. Found a Minolta Dimage III on ebay for a good price with the film carrier included. It's definitely an older unit, but from what I've read it seems fairly capable.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

President Beep posted:

The heinous experience of "scanning" negatives with my digital camera has finally pushed me to buy a dedicated scanner. Found a Minolta Dimage III on ebay for a good price with the film carrier included. It's definitely an older unit, but from what I've read it seems fairly capable.

Out of curiosity what did you find so bad about DSLR scanning? I've been doing that with my film and I find the raw images that it captures are great but the colour negative reversal process is usually miserable. IMO it seems like the hardware part of the process is find but the software isn't quite there yet.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

Out of curiosity what did you find so bad about DSLR scanning? I've been doing that with my film and I find the raw images that it captures are great but the colour negative reversal process is usually miserable. IMO it seems like the hardware part of the process is find but the software isn't quite there yet.

I was always happy with the quality, and B&W is a cinch to reverse in Lightroom while Negative Lab Pro was great for color. My issue is that I don't have a dedicated space to keep my setup, so it's a bunch of prep and teardown whenever I want to do it. Also, with two kids at home, it can be hard to find dedicated time to scan. I expect it'll be more convenient to load a holder, let the scanner chug away for a while, and then repeat.

e: I'll still use my digital camera setup when I shoot 120, but I don't do that nearly as often as I use 35mm. No biggie.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 27, 2020

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Does this look like a light leak? This is from the first roll through Canonet 28. I just finished developing a second roll with the seams taped up with electrical tape and it looks the same, with a line through every frame. Obviously if the seals are shot, tape is a half measure, but I wonder if there's something else I'm missing. I did order a replacement seal kit, so we'll see what happens with that.

On another note, I used a 675 hearing aid battery in the Canonet, which is somewhere around 1.4 v, compared to the 1.35 v of a mercury cell that older cameras used. Supposedly if you halve the ASA, ie shoot 400 film at 200 on the camera, and develop at 400, it should all work out. From eyeballing the negatives nothing looks too blown out so far.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

since the out of frame area is exposed, it's very likely a light leak. it could be from your dev tank or when you transferred the film to the tank also, remember.

I am not sure about the canonet but I remember with some cameras its possible for light to leak in from the viewfinder as well.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah the second roll I just developed has the same artifact through the middle. Good to know about the viewfinder leaking too, thanks!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

President Beep posted:

I'm really hoping that during the next recession the Coolscan 9000s will come down a bit, they've basically doubled in price over the last 10 years.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

gl with the loving shitshow that is nikonscan

world's most inconvenient scanner, but the scans are so good

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Wild EEPROM posted:

gl with the loving shitshow that is nikonscan

world's most inconvenient scanner, but the scans are so good

You can get Silverfast for it. That's its own set of problems, admittedly.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I mean, what's the alternative, finding a cheaper imacon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Yond Cassius posted:

You can get Silverfast for it. That's its own set of problems, admittedly.

silverfast for nikon is $450.