Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Speaking of the TUF; how useful is a front USB C port anyway.

Was intending on the ASUS TUF X570 (finally buying the rest of my parts in a couple days; have only grabbed my monitor and GPU so far) but I changed my intended case to a Meshify S2, which has a front USB C port, and I see that the supposedly comparable Aorus Elite X570 has a front USB C header on it whereas the TUF doesn't, only a USB 3.2 gen 1, which only has USB A ports, right?

Worth it to shift around? I see some people also suggest the Elite is better than the TUF but things seems pretty equal overall.
I mean, it's useful if you have Type C devices that you need to plug into your computer frequently and will likely be more useful in the future as more devices move to Type C. You can always get a 3.1 to 20-pin adapter if you get a mobo that doesn't have the newer header on it so you'll still be able to use the front port.

Busy Bee posted:

Pretty stumped on which mother board to go for. I'm looking to build my PC around an AMD Ryzen 3700X + Nvidia 2080 Super + Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2 SSD + Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-3600. I want my motherboard to have WiFi, Bluetooth, at least 2x M2 slots (preferably 3) for my SSD and potential expansion, a connection to use my USB-C connection at the front of my Fractal Design R6 USB-C case. I don't mind paying extra to not have to replace it for a long time either. I read about some motherboards supporting the new extremely expensive Ryzen Threadripper?

I was looking at the ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING but open for other options too. Seems like from the reviews of the ASUS that it's not the best.
The Aorus X570 Elite (wifi) is probably your best option, it and the Asus X570 Gaming TUF are generally considered the best value boards in X570 and it fills all your requirements. Also, any mobo that supports Threadripper will not be compatible with a 3700x, they use very different sockets (AM4 vs TR4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LimburgLimbo posted:

Speaking of the TUF; how useful is a front USB C port anyway.

Was intending on the ASUS TUF X570 (finally buying the rest of my parts in a couple days; have only grabbed my monitor and GPU so far) but I changed my intended case to a Meshify S2, which has a front USB C port, and I see that the supposedly comparable Aorus Elite X570 has a front USB C header on it whereas the TUF doesn't, only a USB 3.2 gen 1, which only has USB A ports, right?

Worth it to shift around? I see some people also suggest the Elite is better than the TUF but things seems pretty equal overall.

If you're gonna keep the case & the mobo for a while, front USB C may become fairly useful. The EU is trying to mandate C as the standard for mobile devices like phones (apple is protesting), so your next phone will probably have it. And I definitely look forward to the day when I don't have to turn the plug around 3 times every time I plug in a usb stick.

As for Aorus Elite X570 vs Asus Tuf x570, the Aorus also has an intel LAN. It's always nice to avoid realtek (though realtek ethernet is the least problematic). Also the Asus Tuf has a dumb extra CPU power pin. I'd rather have the Aorus.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Radiohead71 posted:

My i5-2500/GTX 970 is finally crapping out. I'm trying to decide Intel vs. AMD, but leaning Ryzen 7 3700x. I still game, but it is only Division 1 and Rimworld. Would be nice to have something current though, and able to tackle the latest games.

My friend had the exact same outset as you, and we put together the staple 3600/Tomahawk Max/Arctic 34 for him, reusing the GTX 970 and it's just insanely good value. Unless you know you need 8 cores or more graphics power, I would definitely go that route and save the GPU money for whenever the new stuff comes out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've been reading the thread because I only start looking at component stuff when I'm actually looking to buy. I have a question: when is the next big revision of cpus and graphics cards due? Is there any "wait for X" situation going on, or will it be a while until anything comes out?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Upgrade when you need to upgrade. Don't wait for "X" or "Y" or "Z"

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Looking to get my first NVMe drive but I can't really figure out what I should be looking for besides price. Judging by this thread the most popular are the Sabrent Rocket 1TB and HP EX920 1 TB, any particular reason?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

redreader posted:

I've been reading the thread because I only start looking at component stuff when I'm actually looking to buy. I have a question: when is the next big revision of cpus and graphics cards due? Is there any "wait for X" situation going on, or will it be a while until anything comes out?

For GPUs AMD supposedly has some big Navi cards coming soon to compete with the 2070/2080 level. nVidia has rumors about the 30X0 series being announced in the next month or so as well. No idea when either will exist anywhere other than paper though.

For CPUs AFAIK Intel has basically nothing big coming, they're still at least a year, probably two, away from their 7nm architecture. AMD will have Zen3 probably launching around end of this year, maybe Q1/Q2 next year but will likely be significantly more expensive than Zen+ and Zen2 have been since they know Intel has no response. So overall nothing crazy in the immediate future and Zen2 will probably continue to be the best value option for another year.

Basically there's nothing about to be announced that's going to immediately render current hardware obsolete, and in general there's little reason to wait for stuff like that anyway.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SupSuper posted:

Looking to get my first NVMe drive but I can't really figure out what I should be looking for besides price. Judging by this thread the most popular are the Sabrent Rocket 1TB and HP EX920 1 TB, any particular reason?

Because they're cheap and have no major caveats like QLC flash. Adata XPG SX8200 is also good but usually a slight bump up in price. (Adata SX6000 = avoid.)

The thing about NVMe is that most of the time you really won't notice the difference vs sata ssds, so it's not worth paying a huge markup. Games don't load noticeably faster from NVMe. Drives like the samsung 970 or WD Black are great but way too expensive for the utility.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Klyith posted:

best performance for money is without question a 5700 bios modded to a 5700 XT :c00l:

God drat! That's really good. Has the price shot up for the 5700's since this was discovered?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I have the TUF X570 board, it is okay. The VRMs are great and it is stable once you get it going. But Asus has started to lock down more and more features, like Spread Spectrum and BCLK adjustments are reserved for "high-end boards" according to Asus, even the $250 Asus Prime Pro doesn't have those features. I guess we are in the age where $250 for a motherboard with enthusiast chipset is not considered "high-end" . My old Asus P8Z68-V Gen3 felt much higher end when I bought it and I paid less for it.

There aren't many under $200 X570 choices though with good VRMs. Gigabyte Aorus Elite, Asus TUF, and Asus Prime X570-P (the cheapest option). Elite has the most features. TUF has same VRMs as the Asus Prime Pro. Prime X570-P has same VRM components but in a different configuration (instead of 3:1 ratio on MOSFETS for CPU:SOC, it is 2:2, which means it has slightly less power delivery ability to CPU, but it's still more than enough for 3950X)

Couple useful spreadsheets:

VRM Rankings (from X570 down to B350): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

loving huge comparison spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

redreader posted:

God drat! That's really good. Has the price shot up for the 5700's since this was discovered?

Not really because they're trying to compete with the 2060 which has gone down $50. The 5700 models with decent coolers haven't really gone down in price though, which is unfortunate because you'd really want a decent cooler for the XT bios mod. It doesn't completely turn your 5700 into an XT - it lets you use the XT's higher power limit and higher core frequency, but doesn't give you additional compute cores. It closes about half the gap the to the 5700 XT, but since the cheapest decent 5700 is only $35 cheaper than the cheapest decent 5700 XT right now, it's only marginally worthwhile.

On the other hand, if you can find a crappy 5700 on sale for <$300, that plus an Arctic Accelero III would be a pretty decent value for a tinkerer!

E: Unless the XFX DD Ultra is decent? I know they had issues with the THICC II (lol) that they subsequently fixed.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 13, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also one of the most popular 5700 models, the Sapphire pulse, is evidently not flashable. It's something of a do-your-research-first area.

Noting that VRMs are towards the bottom of the list that average people should make buying decisions on -- unless you're doing heavy OCing or have a 3950X you are unlikely to go much above the 100A column of that spreadsheet. And only people who use liquid nitrogen care about 200A.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

What's your monitor's resolution and refresh rate?

1920 1080 is the default i think at 144hz

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Klyith posted:

If you're gonna keep the case & the mobo for a while, front USB C may become fairly useful. The EU is trying to mandate C as the standard for mobile devices like phones (apple is protesting), so your next phone will probably have it. And I definitely look forward to the day when I don't have to turn the plug around 3 times every time I plug in a usb stick.

As for Aorus Elite X570 vs Asus Tuf x570, the Aorus also has an intel LAN. It's always nice to avoid realtek (though realtek ethernet is the least problematic). Also the Asus Tuf has a dumb extra CPU power pin. I'd rather have the Aorus.

Thanks, will probably grab the Elite.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How does the Be Quiet SILENT BASE 600 compare to the Fractal Define R6?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Goofballs posted:

1920 1080 is the default i think at 144hz

For 1080p144 I'd agree with the 5700 rec.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How does the Be Quiet SILENT BASE 600 compare to the Fractal Define R6?

The silent base 600 is an old model that's not made anymore, so if you're looking at one hopefully you've found a dusty old box in a physical store for $100, not the last bits of overpriced stock on amazon for $200.

The current model is the 601, which doesn't have 5.25 drives or a front door.

They're both focused on noise damping over airflow. The bequiet has 2 of their good fans, but IMO still seems overpriced at $130. I think the only big plus I'd give to it over the R6 is the 3.5" HDD mounts. Bequiet are the only people still doing really good vibration-isolating HDD cages. But that's only a consideration if you still use a lot of HDDs. (And the case only comes with 3, you have to order more from bequiet if you have a raid array.)

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I'm looking to build a beefy workstation to do postproduction and some engineering design. We're pretty sure we want a Threadripper 3970X on a Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME XL mobo, and it would make sense to put in a 2080ti as GPU, but that kind of kills the budget. Since the Aorus allows Crossfire, would it be possible to put in 2 Radeon 5700s. If so, would it be desirable? It would be best if we could upgrade the GPU in a few months when budgets get bigger.

Thanks!

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

The rx 5000 series doesn't support crossfire.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

burnsep posted:

I'm looking to build a beefy workstation to do postproduction and some engineering design. We're pretty sure we want a Threadripper 3970X on a Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME XL mobo, and it would make sense to put in a 2080ti as GPU, but that kind of kills the budget. Since the Aorus allows Crossfire, would it be possible to put in 2 Radeon 5700s. If so, would it be desirable? It would be best if we could upgrade the GPU in a few months when budgets get bigger.

Thanks!

What programs are you using? Is the beefy GPU for displaying real-time graphics or for rendering/processing computations? If it’s the latter, you don’t need crossfire to do compute on multiple gpus.

Either way, check out Puget Systems’ reviews and benchmarks for the programs you’ll be using to see if they can actually benefit from beefy consumer gpus. There’s also a good chance that NVidia or AMD might have significant advantages for your particular programs.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 14, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Edit: rereading the OP.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spent over 2 hours today trying to fix a problem. Out of nowhere my monitor periodically said there was no signal and would go into sleep mode. Re-seated my graphics card, tried plugging the display port cable into every other port, tried hdmi instead, re-seated RAM, and then I was about to re-apply thermal paste to my processor, but I decided to check my monitor and found out the power cable had come slighly loose from when I was adjusting the height the other day. Plugged it firmly back in and everything is fine. gently caress computers.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

At least it wasn't your chair :v:

https://twitter.com/royvanrijn/status/1214162400666103808

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Here's the build that I've decided upon after a few weeks of research. Any critiques of it will be greatly appreciated as I'm still new to this! It will be used for gaming in 1440p 144hz/165hz. Flexible with budget and don't mind paying a premium for an extra feature.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€315.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (€291.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€179.89 @ Alternate)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€177.99 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card (€849.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case (€156.89 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: be quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€177.61 @ Mindfactory)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan (€29.89 @ ARLT)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG279QZ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor
Total: €2249.01 (Does not include price of OS or Monitor)

I plan on doing an open layout with the Fractal Design Define R6 case and the extra case fan will be installed on the Noctua UH-12S.

Few questions:
  1. With the Asus X570-E Gaming Motherboard, I see that it has its own personal cooling method for the 2 x M2 ports - is one port more preferable to install my NVMe M2 SSD in?
  2. For the Windows OS installation, I know that I'm supposed to install the Windows installation media on a USB stick and boot from there - I looked on Amazon and there are many sellers selling Windows 10 Pro keys for really cheap, is this legit?
Thank you!

Scruff McGruff posted:

The Aorus X570 Elite (wifi) is probably your best option, it and the Asus X570 Gaming TUF are generally considered the best value boards in X570 and it fills all your requirements. Also, any mobo that supports Threadripper will not be compatible with a 3700x, they use very different sockets (AM4 vs TR4).

Thanks for the recommendation. After reading more reviews, I decided to stick with the Asus X570-E Gaming

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 14, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Busy Bee posted:

[*]With the Asus X570-E Gaming Motherboard, I see that it has its own personal cooling method for the 2 x M2 ports

Heatsinks for NVMe drives are useless bling in an enthusiast gamer machine. Video games are just not stressful to SSDs.

Install the drive in whichever, as far as I can tell both m.2 slots are connected directly to the CPU rather than the chipset so they're identical. (Which means the 3 PCIe x16 slots have to share lanes somewhat awkwardly, but I'm sure Asus is correct in assuming that few people actually use more than one of those. But if you get a soundcard or something be sure to plug it into an x1 slot, not one of the spare x16s.)

quote:

For the Windows OS installation, I know that I'm supposed to install the Windows installation media on a USB stick and boot from there - I looked on Amazon and there are many sellers selling Windows 10 Pro keys for really cheap, is this legit?

Any windows 7 or 8 key is functional as a windows 10 key. Cheap win10 keys on amazon are probably no more or less legit than random ebay win7 keys (as in, they'll activate you a copy of win10 with a 'digital entitlement' no problem).

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I was thinking about buying a PCI(e) USB expansion card, so I have four more USB slots without a plastic hub cluttering my desk. But some of the reviews make me think it's not such a good idea in the first place: "doesn't work on Linux", "fried my devices", "only one usb slot works", etc. Are they really that crap? Maybe I'll need to buy an external hub after all.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

mike12345 posted:

I was thinking about buying a PCI(e) USB expansion card, so I have four more USB slots without a plastic hub cluttering my desk. But some of the reviews make me think it's not such a good idea in the first place: "doesn't work on Linux", "fried my devices", "only one usb slot works", etc. Are they really that crap? Maybe I'll need to buy an external hub after all.

Do you have any motherboard USB headers left? Each USB2.0 9-pin header supports two USB ports, and each USB3.0 19/20 pin header supports two as well. Then you can get a plate adapter to bring them either to a PCI slot, or 3.5/5.25 external drive slot.

Like these:
https://www.newegg.com/startech-com-usbplate4/p/N82E16812200523
https://www.newegg.com/startech-com-usb3splate/p/N82E16812709255
https://www.newegg.com/p/0J2-00G2-00006

Since these aren't hubs, they will use the same USB controllers your other motherboard ports use (so compatible with Linux if others are), they are also extremely simple electronically.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Alpha Mayo posted:

Do you have any motherboard USB headers left? Each USB2.0 9-pin header supports two USB ports, and each USB3.0 19/20 pin header supports two as well. Then you can get a plate adapter to bring them either to a PCI slot, or 3.5/5.25 external drive slot.

Like these:
https://www.newegg.com/startech-com-usbplate4/p/N82E16812200523
https://www.newegg.com/startech-com-usb3splate/p/N82E16812709255
https://www.newegg.com/p/0J2-00G2-00006

Since these aren't hubs, they will use the same USB controllers your other motherboard ports use (so compatible with Linux if others are), they are also extremely simple electronically.

I hadn't even thought of USB headers, I have to check. Yeah, that sounds like a better solution.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Im upgrading from a 4770K built in 2013. I have a $2000 budget and this computer will mainly be a gaming device. I will probably upgrade the graphics card in 2-3 years and I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy an X570 board in the hopes that I can use pcie 4.0 in the future. Also, I’d prefer a monitor with a better stand, but the 27GL83A-B appears to be sold out until March. What are the comparable alternatives to the Nixeus?

Also, I have a pre-purchased new PSU that I bought on black Friday.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($696.16 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.00 @ B&H)
Monitor: Nixeus NX-EDG27S v2 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1801.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-14 11:16 EST-0500

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

wemgo posted:

Im upgrading from a 4770K built in 2013. I have a $2000 budget and this computer will mainly be a gaming device. I will probably upgrade the graphics card in 2-3 years and I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy an X570 board in the hopes that I can use pcie 4.0 in the future. Also, I’d prefer a monitor with a better stand, but the 27GL83A-B appears to be sold out until March. What are the comparable alternatives to the Nixeus?

Rather that worry about the stand, have you considered a desk- or wall-mounted monitor arm?

Something like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24588

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wemgo posted:

I will probably upgrade the graphics card in 2-3 years and I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy an X570 board in the hopes that I can use pcie 4.0 in the future.

PCIe 4 is very unlikely to make any difference in a GPU that comes out in the next 3 years. Just as current graphics cards have no performance loss from getting 8 lanes instead of 16, a future PCIe 4.0 card will be fine getting 16 3.0 lanes.

wemgo posted:

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Adorama)
These are horrendously rip-off overpriced. You can get a NVMe drive for under $150 that will have zero difference in real performance and treat yourself to a nice meal or something.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

SopWATh posted:

Rather that worry about the stand, have you considered a desk- or wall-mounted monitor arm?

Something like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24588

Along similar lines, you could pick up the Amazon Basics full adjust monitor stand, it's quality is fine and it works with standard Vesa mounts.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks for all of the advice!

I switched to the HP EX950 ssd and kept the B450 mobo. I used my remaining budget to get a LG 27gl850-b monitor. My rationale is that ill be using it for at least a decade which makes the extra cost somewhat justifiable.

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
I have an aging 970-based 1080p (used to be) 60fps setup that I've breathed new life into a couple times, but I'm tired of scraping by on frames in every game since 2016. I'm trying to identify the best cpu/gpu combo to push 1080p 144hz without going overkill on something unnecessary in either area. I'm thinking it's 3600/2060S or something like that, i don't know poo poo about the AMD gpus though.

Here's the catch - I'd like this to go on a new micro-ATX mobo so I can continue using my very cool thermaltake core v21 because I love cubes. I got lost in the sauce researching this last night so I'm not sure what to grab here. The rest (PSU, RAM, so on) is under control.

I'm planning on grabbing 2 AOC 24G2s for this, but I'm not very picky at all on monitors. Could I do better here?

Please help me escape from Tarkov...

edit: Here's my best whack at this myself:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($138.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: AOC 24G2 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Monitor: AOC 24G2 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Total: $893.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-15 00:28 EST-0500

The 311 Lifestyle fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 15, 2020

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, gang. I think this might be a common enough thing that there is a word or community for it, but I don't know what it is called. I ended up with a flat screen television that I don't really need, but I was thinking, I really love pinball and I have a pinball game that supports like, monitors turned vertical, right? It's that, uhm, goddammit what's it called, FX Pinball or something, but it has some licensed boards that are super great, though kind of expensive. It's (supposedly?) pretty true to a realistic reproduction. However, even on its lowest setting the game is graphics-intense enough that it runs crummy on my laptop. So, my project is I want to buy a Raspberry Pi. thing, or perhaps a very inexpensive computer setup with the bare minimum required to make a dedicated platform to play just this one pinball game, using a custom made set up simple controls.

Can anyone point me in the direction to get started?*

*yes yes google way ahead of you; I don't know what terms to search for, is part of the problem

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

credburn posted:

Hey, gang. I think this might be a common enough thing that there is a word or community for it, but I don't know what it is called. I ended up with a flat screen television that I don't really need, but I was thinking, I really love pinball and I have a pinball game that supports like, monitors turned vertical, right? It's that, uhm, goddammit what's it called, FX Pinball or something, but it has some licensed boards that are super great, though kind of expensive. It's (supposedly?) pretty true to a realistic reproduction. However, even on its lowest setting the game is graphics-intense enough that it runs crummy on my laptop. So, my project is I want to buy a Raspberry Pi. thing, or perhaps a very inexpensive computer setup with the bare minimum required to make a dedicated platform to play just this one pinball game, using a custom made set up simple controls.

Can anyone point me in the direction to get started?*

*yes yes google way ahead of you; I don't know what terms to search for, is part of the problem

A raspberry Pi can't run anything graphically intense, they can barely emulate 90s consoles.

An integrated-GPU ryzen could probably handle that game at 1080p. That would be the cheapest way to make a dedicated pinball PC.

Custom controller stuff is a whole different story because you either buy something expensive, or learn to wire buttons with an arduino or other dev board.

As for google, search for "virtual pinball" and then like "table build log" if you want to see people building pinball table enclosures with a TV, or "controller" to see how people make the buttons. And yes there are dedicated communities out there about this.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm having some weird USB issues with my new build. I have a Tomahawk Max with a Seasonic 850W titanium PSU - so I don't think it's the PSU.

I have 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports in the front. If I plug both my logitech nano receiver and my webcam into both the 2.0 or both the 3.0, the webcam doesn't work and it was also loving up my (separately powered) DAC that's plugged into the back. If one if plugged into the 2.0 and one into the 3.0, everything is fine. What could be causing this? Is my mobo screwed up? Any kind of troubleshooting you guys would recommend?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm having some weird USB issues with my new build. I have a Tomahawk Max with a Seasonic 850W titanium PSU - so I don't think it's the PSU.

I have 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports in the front. If I plug both my logitech nano receiver and my webcam into both the 2.0 or both the 3.0, the webcam doesn't work and it was also loving up my (separately powered) DAC that's plugged into the back. If one if plugged into the 2.0 and one into the 3.0, everything is fine. What could be causing this? Is my mobo screwed up? Any kind of troubleshooting you guys would recommend?

Have you installed the AMD chipset drivers?

I had some weird and annoying USB issues when windows updated to 1909, and it turned out to be using a default USB controller driver. Installing the AMD ones fixed everything up right away.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I thought I had installed all the driver's but any way for me to check if those are what's being used? Device manager under USB drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hey guys please call me a dumbass

I bought an RTX 2070 and forgot to check if my PSU would be enough for it

It isn't, requires a 550 and I have 500

Please roast me and my dumb gay rear end