Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
As above, so below.

Edit: poo poo..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Procedural birds are finally in!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't remember seeing this around, local programmers, discuss SC code as seen on Inside SC (source dirty refundians):

My reaction: :wtchris:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Don't look at the source code of games in general. The only game code that may be well-factored is core engine code. Never, ever, look at game logic or UI or what passes for "AI". Just don't.

It pains me to say this, but that level of nesting is not exceptional at all. Look at this https://github.com/NoelFB/Celeste/blob/master/Source/Player/Player.cs

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Bofast posted:

Why would RSI track us when they can't even keep track of their own development?

Serious answer but it's probably for Turbulent to help keep track of who are goons and who are snowflakes as they browse the RSI website.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/141zN4k.mp4

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I don't know how accurate this file diving stuff is, but it does fit with the sort of thing they plan. Still can't believe they're really going for this kind of 'debuff / debilitate' stuff.

quote:

Below we have highlighted a few of the more common medical alerts that you may see:

Arm Trauma - An injury to the arm that can cause pain, fatigue, and reduced function.

quote:

Leg Trauma - An injury to the leg that can cause pain and decreased mobility.

Malnourished - When the body does not have enough nutrients to function normally. Symptoms can include hunger, loss of muscle mass, exhaustion, inability to concentrate, irritability, and sensory complications.

quote:

Sleep Deprivation - When an individual gets less sleep than they require to function. Typical effects of sleep deprivation are moodiness, fatigue, clumsiness, increased appetite, and narcoleptic symptoms.

Unconscious - When trauma is severe enough, an individual may experience a syncope, lose consciousness and become unable to respond to stimuli.

e: I mean I can totally believe they're doing all the life sim busywork. And making you take off your helmet to eat. But the whole 'can't even carry a box until you crawl to a med bay' stuff is just so double-dumb it makes me photoshop badly :argh:

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 15, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

shrach posted:

Serious answer but it's probably for Turbulent to help keep track of who are goons and who are snowflakes as they browse the RSI website.

Yeah, probably. At least Turbulent seems like they have some competent people running the show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna go ahead and bet that near the end of this year, as things look increasingly dire, they'll announce a PS5/XSX version

I mean, it's not like they'll ever have to make it.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antigravitas posted:

Don't look at the source code of games in general. The only game code that may be well-factored is core engine code. Never, ever, look at game logic or UI or what passes for "AI". Just don't.

It pains me to say this, but that level of nesting is not exceptional at all. Look at this https://github.com/NoelFB/Celeste/blob/master/Source/Player/Player.cs

To be fair, while the code you linked isn't perfect (there's a lot going on that could be done in separate methods or by better message sending), I don't think I can see 9 nested ifs anywhere in it. But I guess 3D comes with extra IFdelity.

How do you even debug this stuff, though, that's a nightmare to me just by looking at it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Sleeping in armour will be less restful. Calling it now.

I'll leave the big calls to derek.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Maybe it's apocalyptically difficult to refactor that code into something readable, but I kind of doubt it. This is what happens when you have interns do all the coding.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

Do a GoFundMe :gary:

And stretch goals. Like a mate with a camera, and going as a pteradactyl.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inacio posted:

sc's space legs will always be the most fidelitious space legs out there.

And then we’ll have four years about how Elite wishes it had hot tubs.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hav posted:

And then we’ll have four years about how Elite wishes it had hot tubs.

heh elite doesnt even have remove-helmet-before-eating, remove-armor-before-pooping technology :~)
babby arcade game

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Gotta get that sweet, sweet referral bonus

Ours went up to five grand for a while.

monkeytek posted:

Is this for real? Skylab was never intended to come back. It was a left over from the Apollo project intended for use as an orbiting station to test out various life support, science, docking procedures. They were never going to "figure out" how to bring it back.

They had problems trying to shift it into higher orbit, they had to jury-rig the heat shield, and there were a lot of problems with the solar panels, but it was a proof of concept.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

A blasphemy on the bracing style alone. Fetch the pyre wood.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

e: I mean I can totally believe they're doing all the life sim busywork. And making you take off your helmet to eat. But the whole 'can't even carry a box until you crawl to a med bay' stuff is just so double-dumb it makes me photoshop badly :argh:

So, those medical beds are fixed height and like lower than a futon?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hav posted:

So, those medical beds are fixed height and like lower than a futon?

All the better for crawling into

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

Do a GoReFundMe :gary:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Thoatse posted:

Procedural birds are finally in!

Who’s the backer

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Alan Smithee posted:

Who’s the backer

The guy who posted a CPAP machine strapped to his rear end. If anyone can post that backer pic, I'll be impressed.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Why, oh why do you crush my dreams so?

(It's true)

I have laid my dreams at your feet.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

I don't remember seeing this around, local programmers, discuss SC code as seen on Inside SC (source dirty refundians):

Star Citizen: If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If If { ... }

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixelate posted:

I don't know how accurate this file diving stuff is, but it does fit with the sort of thing they plan. Still can't believe they're really going for this kind of 'debuff / debilitate' stuff.

If you get any sort of injury the standard action is going to be to kill yourself and respawn

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

If you get any sort of injury the standard action is going to be to kill yourself and respawn

Until CIG see people doing this, and remove the ability to kill themselves so they are forced to endure the fidelity of the injury.

Death of a Spaceman will be enforced and backed up with Living your Life as a Cripple and Being Forced to Beg for Credits in Space Station Shopping Malls

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pixelate posted:

They’ve been teasing ultra-tedious autistic level survival game mechanics for years now, and Citizens have creamed their pants imagining going through a hour-long high fidelity morning hygiene routine every time they log into the game. But like everything else they’ve promised, they clearly don’t have the technical ability to pull it off. The game doesn’t even have a real character stat/progression system, in which you could go “your spaceman being hungry = -1 penalty to strength and endurance”.

I mean just look at their dumb heart rate system and how much of a mess that is. At best there will be some half-rear end tier-0 version of hunger or some poo poo thrown into the game completely broken and then never touched or mentioned by the devs again.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

colonelwest posted:

I mean just look at their dumb heart rate system and how much of a mess that is. At best there will be some half-rear end tier-0 version of hunger or some poo poo thrown into the game completely broken and then never touched or mentioned by the devs again.

Hey, they had a clothes locker in the Citcon demo, you fuddy FUDster!

But yeah, it’s probably going to be great

quote:

I sat down in the cafeteria and died of hunger

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Co-Director of Last Of Us 2:

https://twitter.com/BadData_/status/1228140374247428096

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh dear. CR is now going to have to redefine AAAA

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Until CIG see people doing this, and remove the ability to kill themselves so they are forced to endure the fidelity of the injury.

Death of a Spaceman will be enforced and backed up with Living your Life as a Cripple and Being Forced to Beg for Credits in Space Station Shopping Malls

It's just totally unenforceable. I get what they're going for- they want the medical gameplay of like, one of the Arma 3 mods. You get hurt, you need a teammate to patch you up or you'll constantly pass out or shoot bad or actually die and be ejected from the game entirely until the current round comes to an end, which might be hours. It adds a layer of risk and heightened tension to death. I get that!

But these dumb motherfuckers are making an MMO. You can't eject your audience from a round, and 90% of their time is going to be spent alone! You've already lost the tension part of the equation. Now these wounds are just a loving inconvenience that forces you to respawn, in a game full of those.

Add on top of this the idea that instead of somebody being able to heal you out of a medkit, you will need a multi-hundred-dollar ship with like an E-Bed or whatever. gently caress that! What the hell are they thinking? Players are gonna loving queue up so the benevolent whale with the luxury yacht can treat them one by one? People are going to sit at the scene of the firefight while the guy who bought the ambulance ship flies 30 minutes to get them? Nobody's going to do that except as a LARP activity. It's insane. You're just designing more intentional downtime into your game that is already 100% downtime.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Reminder that their art design for poo poo like the "Med Bay" is not governed by any concerns about actual gameplay. Listen to the designer of the med bay here. It has nothing to do with animation or access points or UI functionality- it's just about room flow and what the player should feel when standing in the room. They aren't even considering making these things functional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HX4DcwmR94&t=3411s

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Agony Aunt posted:

That is so AMBITIOUS. Give this man another quarter billion dollars!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a recap thread anywhere these days?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Agony Aunt posted:

"I am here today to show the first ever Billion Polygon character! It takes five render farms to make it move! We are working closely with leading computer scientists in architecting the hardware necessary to run this amazing first ever AAAAAA game:

Game Requirements:

Power: 22 Gigawatts
Processing Power: 20 QuintaFLOPS
Video: We will require reaching out to Render Farms as no single GPU solution will manage at this time. We estimate monthly costs to hover around $50,000 for two hours of gameplay.
Network Bandwidth: min. 3 banded 100Gbps ISP grade fiber. Estimated build out to house $10M monthly cost $300k
Storage: SSD! Standard HD will cause less than optimal performance.

I hope you are as excited as I am and remember we'll be at E3 this year. Just find us on the floor, say the passcode: "I believe" and get a code for an amazing ingame digital item!

Yours truly Crobo!"

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Old ones are archived. VC is going to update his blog at some point.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

juggalo baby coffin posted:

No.

But:
Game's still bad and in pre-alpha.
Practically not a game.
Citizens promise to maybe start worrying at the end of 2021.
Full development will definitely start after SSXUltra-OCS is implemented. Don't expect it before next year.
Roadmap still does not include release point.
Sandi's gone.
Crobbler still sort of crobbles about but also seems to be losing interest and has limited appearances.
Something about cloth fashion and medbays.
Space court will probably get postponed as Crytek wants SQ54 to be released first, and lol that's not happening, ever.
Buy the new concept ship.

This more or less gets you up to speed.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

you obviously don't understand game development

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's cool that Sandi and Chris got their money and she's already cashed out with him not far behind

This was always their retirement plan and now they'll be extremely wealthy until they die because of the idiots that believed in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
When the final reckoning comes, at least one chapter should be called this...

quote:

What dark magic is this game?

I picked this up a few days ago with the $45 Aurora package. Since then, I have:
  • Endured a relentless onslaught of bugs, some of them quite severe/gamebreaking
  • Hilarious performance drops on an i9 9900k, RTX 2080ti, 32gb, M.2 SSD machine
  • Upgraded the Aurora to a C8X Pisces (absolutely love this little ship)
  • Bought the Drake Loot and Scoot package (Cutlass is amazing, grav-biking on microTech was beautiful. Storing the Cutlass with the Dragonfly in it and being unable to retrieve them was not so beautiful.)
  • Ordered a Thrustmaster HOTAS setup
It's a broken, buggy, unfinished, shitawful mess to play, and most of the time I'm not playing it I'm thinking about it and looking forward to my next session (wherein I will spend 20 minutes trying to get my goddamn ship to spawn, then play Space UPS for hours).
I should hate this. It's SO rough. But dude... if they ever actually get this game to the polishing stage, it's going to be unbelievable. "I'll be playing this game for the rest of my life" territory.
I hope it gets there before I actually loving DIE.

Addendum:

quote:

Welcome! I hate this broken poo poo but i almost hit 15K..

Citations

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 15, 2020