Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Each candidate gets one of these.

I like the "looks and sounds like a real phone!". Can we just get another look at it?

:hmmyes:

E: phonesnipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember phones looking basically like that yeah.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, I saw the 'died suddenly' story with a suspicious lack of cause and assumed that was the case.

I went over to my parents place for dinner and they had Sky News on. It was wall to wall coverage of her death. A whole lot if "it just goes to show how mental health issues are an invisible thing" as if to be saying "there was no way we could have prevented this."

Thus completely side stepping the fact that the media had been hounding her for months and it almost certainly played into what happened to her.
Thankfully they had someone from a mental health charity come on who did say that the hounding from the media almost certainly played a role in what happened.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It looks like a neon pink version of the old Tele 282a.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Build a 20km high wall through the midlands, solely to annoy the met office.

honestly I'm down with this, Leicester either gets cut off from the south, which is great because we'll finally gain our due recognition as northern, or we'll get cut off from the north, and more specifically derby

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ms Adequate posted:

It's quite preposterous how many of you said nice things about my story last night
Add one more to the pile Ms A, was too busy to reply earlier but it genuinely lifted my heart to hear that :)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

honestly I'm down with this, Leicester either gets cut off from the south, which is great because we'll finally gain our due recognition as northern, or we'll get cut off from the north, and more specifically derby

Leicester isn't in the North.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ms Adequate posted:

Wall from the Mersey to the Humber. It'll mean cutting Barnsley and Huddersfield in half, but c'est la vie.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just got my text from Team Keir. (srsly)

Prepare for trouble! And make it maybe one and a quarter times. One and a half would be pushing it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've had texts from Rayner, Starmer, and Doctor Rosena whoever that is, they must have released the numbers to them I guess. I'm ignoring them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She's called Egg-Khan in Japan.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I've only had texts from Momentum & they'll text any oval office, Billy no mates over here :(

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Miftan posted:

It's north of the M25, which is the same thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I prefer the individual anthropocentric concept of north/south, whereby the north is north of you, the south is south of you, and you can personally identify as northern or southern.

Therfore Scarborough is southern.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guavanaut posted:

Each candidate gets one of these.

You got the dud.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

OK I take it back

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sinky posted:

It's north of the M25, which is the same thing.

godamntwisto alt account spotted

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Do they actually give them alphabetical names?

What happens if they have more than twenty six? Do they start double barreling them?

Same rules as hurricanes, they go back to A, but it's never happened because they only use them for winter storms that touch the British Isles and if we have more than 26 of them in a winter we've got *way* more problems.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I prefer the individual anthropocentric concept of north/south, whereby the north is north of you, the south is south of you, and you can personally identify as northern or southern.

How does that work when you don't believe in an individual sovereign self?

Azza Bamboo posted:

You got the dud.
:dudsmile:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

:colbert: Can we talk about demarcation here?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

How does that work when you don't believe in an individual sovereign self?

Wherever the internally percieved locus of your mind is. The benefit is you don't have to identify the self, you just have to identify things that are further south and dislike them arbitrarily :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

One of my all-time favourite Pratchett lines is about Witchfinder-Sergeant Shadwell - "Shadwell hated all southerners and, by inference, was standing at the North Pole.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of my all-time favourite Pratchett lines is about Witchfinder-Sergeant Shadwell - "Shadwell hated all southerners and, by inference, was standing at the North Pole.

It also works that way round, yes :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm so pleased Good Omens turned out to be... you know, good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Miftan posted:

Oh aye, like I'll listen to one of you people on this subject.

Bloody chocolage orange dislikers :argh:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

loving hell at least have some sensitivity about it

Wait, what's insensitive about saying "Person killed themselves" when that's what happened?

I'm not being facetious, I don't get it. Doesn't seem like a particularly offensive way to put it, seems more value neutral than "commits suicide" for example.

The insensitivity will be the way the media cover it, completely ignoring the Samaritans helpful guidelines for talking about celebrity suicide.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh aye, like I'll listen to one of you people on this subject.

Bloody chocolage orange dislikers :argh:

A Midlander who denies the existence of the Midlands, shameful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm a radical centrist, the midlands is everything that isn't land's end or john o groats.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Whitey Snipes posted:

A Midlander who denies the existence of the Midlands, shameful.

To be fair to Ms. A most midlander I've met have been ashamed of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh the Midlands are real, and strong, and your enemy

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
London is north to the majority of right minded people

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm so pleased Good Omens turned out to be... you know, good.

Michael McKean was a particularly good bit of casting because his accent really did do the grand tour of the British Isles that the text mentioned.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I don't even live on the mainland of England, so gently caress London

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The North starts in Norfolk. How is that not obvious?

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
https://electronicintifada.net/blog...-48OrtBLfPjCn1M

So uhhh, how does this not make any of the potential labour leaders not absolute cowardly shits?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

seizure later posted:

https://electronicintifada.net/blog...-48OrtBLfPjCn1M

So uhhh, how does this not make any of the potential labour leaders not absolute cowardly shits?

It's politics unfortunately and labour are now tainted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not really sure what else you can say at an event organized by JLM and LFI lol.

Though it is a good argument for not having anything to do with either of them if it can be avoided.

Whoever wins is gonna get to enjoy that stupid EHRC report so unfortunately it's gonna be an issue for a while.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah they both genuinely need ignoring. asa winstanley is hated specifically because of this https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/asa-winstanley/jewish-labour-movement-was-refounded-fight-corbyn

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anyway i posted this in cpsam but if you want as comprehensive an article as possible about US investigations into UFOs this is a good read https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a30916275/government-secret-ufo-program-investigation/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I can understand why the prospective leaders are taking the angle they are - whatever the truth of the matter, there's a widespread perception that the accusations of Labour/Corbyn antisemitism hurt us in the election, and the only way to have a chance of avoiding that next go round is to be able to just say "We've done literally everything asked of us by the Jewish community."

I think that's naive because the enemies of the left don't care. But imagine trying to fight a leadership contest at the moment when you're going "Actually Corbyn did nothing wrong except he didn't tell youse to gently caress off and stop talking shite."

e; ^^^ One of my greatest regrets is that I have completely lost the photos I took of some truly funky lights in the sky when I was a teenager, because I'm not saying it was aliens, but whatever it was was weird. It was a cluster of seven or eight lights of various colors - far enough away that from a distance they couldn't be distinguished, but each pic I took (Just a few seconds apart so this wasn't like a distant astronomical thing) saw them rearrange their positions radically (way more than if I was photographing a plane changing its angles and stuff).

So I for one think UFOs are entirely plausible, though I don't expect my anecdote to be enough to convince anyone else and it doens't even convince me really, just makes me believe it's a plausible explanation.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 15, 2020