Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Benne posted:

The stupid opinions thread has been talking about botches which had me thinking: What are your favorite examples of "good botches" that ended up elevating a match or storyline moment?

The best recent one I can think of was a G1 undercard tag from last year, where Okada whiffed SANADA by a mile with his dropkick but popped up and hit it a second time. They turned that into a cool little mini-story where SANADA had the dropkick scouted, which played into their next match when he kept dodging it.
Nia Jax being unable to throw a worked elbow was responsible for making Becky the most over act in WWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Any excuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1ScIBpUq0

Also it's important to note that Meanie was being 'punished' for breaking a dumbass rule that he didn't know existed with a plane ticket that was purchased for him by the company. He had been busted open hardway by accident a few nights before and JBL specifically targeted the staples Meanie still had in the back of his head. JBL got socked multiple times in retaliation by a team of Sandman and Tracy Smothers of all people. Tracy didn't even know what had happened he just wanted to beat JBL for being a dickhead.

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 15, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

Nia Jax being unable to throw a worked elbow was responsible for making Becky the most over act in WWE

Then, of course, they hosed it up.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Any excuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1ScIBpUq0

Also it's important to note that Meanie was being 'punished' for breaking a dumbass rule that he didn't know existed with a plane ticket that was purchased for him by the company. He had been busted open hardway by accident a few nights before and JBL specifically targeted the staples Meanie still had in the back of his head. JBL got socked multiple times in retaliation by a team of Sandman and Tracy Smothers of all people. Tracy didn't even know what had happened he just wanted to beat JBL for being a dickhead.

I hate all the flashes at the moment of impact. I wanna be able to slow everything down and watch his spine compress like the Zapruder film.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Can I just urge you that, if you're going to go throw ECW TV try to find rips of the originals rather than the dubbed mess that is the WWE Network versions and the music ECW used was a big part of their presentation and I think it hurts a rewatch to not have Misirlou playing over the Pulp Fiction promos (does the Network even have the Pulp Fiction promos? I forget), and there's no real point to The Sandman without Enter Sandman. Obviously it's :filez: so I can't just link you to stuff but I do think that the presentation is such a big part of ECW's feel & success that you need to try experience it fully if at all possible. Blows that music licensing fucks with the Network versions so much.

And yeah, Awesome was probably more like 6'3 from what I understand. By no measure a short dude but it's wrestling. The thing to remember about ECW (especially if you start from the first episodes of their TV) is that it's a north-eastern indie. Yeah, it was trying to be more than that at the end but it's an indie with weekly local TV that focused on running in Philly & the Delaware Valley area and used a lot of the talent other north-eastern indies would use. Prepare yourself for some Tony Stetson & Larry Winters & Tommy Cairo. For some Stevie Wonderful & Jay Sully on commentary. So just go in with appropriate expectations, this is a decade before workrate indies were a thing but the TV is fun to watch. There is so much to say for 1 hour weekly TV in wrestling, even if it's not great it's still so much easier & more pleasant to sit through and thus easier to focus on the positives, because the negatives aren't eating up the best part of 3 hours of your night.

Oh yeah, and prepare for walk & brawls. That part of ECW's reputation is definitely earned, there were so many walk & brawls. But I do recommend people watch ECW TV who haven't. It was far from perfect but it's fun.

MorrisBae posted:

Watch Hardcore TV from the beginning of 1995 through to Barely Legal in 1997

That's all golden and you'll see Raven's entire first run

Raven is definitely a bit attraction for me. I've always liked him but I saw him in WCW. Apparently his ECW stuff is the real deal and I wanna check it out from start to finish.

I was thinking of starting with Hardcore TV 1994, though and going to the end. I understand it becomes worse later on but I'm curious to see the whole deal. It'll take a while to get through it all of course and I gotta try and look into how to get the supercards or if they are even worth tracking down.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

TheKingslayer posted:

I hate all the flashes at the moment of impact. I wanna be able to slow everything down and watch his spine compress like the Zapruder film.

click the settings button and play it at 0.25x speed (maybe I have a plugin that adds that option I dunno) - the point of impact sound at 0.25 is incredible

gently caress JBL, also gently caress the taker

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

The stupid opinions thread has been talking about botches which had me thinking: What are your favorite examples of "good botches" that ended up elevating a match or storyline moment?

The best recent one I can think of was a G1 undercard tag from last year, where Okada whiffed SANADA by a mile with his dropkick but popped up and hit it a second time. They turned that into a cool little mini-story where SANADA had the dropkick scouted, which played into their next match when he kept dodging it.

Toshiaki Kawada unintentionally creating a death finisher because his arm was broken and he couldn't get Misawa up for a powerbomb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzhnSjCAmhE

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s just such a real mystery how misawa ended up internally decapitated :thunk:

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
The trust between all the crazy poo poo from the legends like that above and like every single insane bump must have been insane; and it's always seemed like "you let me do this crazy neckfucker move; and then you can do some crazy neckfucker move on me and they just shook hands

unlike the Steiners who just brainbustered jobbers getting $250

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Steiner screwdriver is still one of the more terrifying moves I've ever seen.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Randaconda posted:

The Steiner screwdriver is still one of the more terrifying moves I've ever seen.
I first saw that in No Mercy's create-a-wrestler mode and thought it was made up for the game.

edit: actually I think it was Scott's finisher in Revenge before that but I either never saw it in that game or just forgot

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 15, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hirez posted:

The trust between all the crazy poo poo from the legends like that above and like every single insane bump must have been insane; and it's always seemed like "you let me do this crazy neckfucker move; and then you can do some crazy neckfucker move on me and they just shook hands

unlike the Steiners who just brainbustered jobbers getting $250

If you're talking Raw in the early 90s, that's $25

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Go to 2:15

https://streamable.com/ol0zp

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It really wasn't that big of a deal. There were times where it was the focus of the company and felt super important, but at other times whatever Sabu was doing would be way more important. (The Cactus Jack and Benoit feuds in 94, the FTW title later on, especially when he feuded with Taz are good examples of this.) By the time Taz won it they had no idea what to do and the title was an after thought with Taz squashing Candido to defend against Buh Buh Ray Dudley later on in the show, or Tajiri in a midcard match. They tried to make it more of the focus when Awesome won it, probably to build to RVD's eventual title win but Awesome leaving killed it dead.

Bam Bam held the title very briefly, his run in Japan was way more significant than his ECW run, or really any of his US work.

It also really hurt that while Awesome was champ Rob broke his leg

What probably should have happened was Lynn finally beating RVD for the TV belt, Rob moving on to challenge Awesome, then they could have done Van Dam vs Lynn for the world strap

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 15, 2020

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Benne posted:

Great Sasuke botching a springboard against Liger during Super J Cup '94. Liger points and laughs at him only for Sasuke to get up and catch him with a flash rana.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't watch Chikara so I don't know if this was legit or if it was the plan from the start but in King of Trios 2015 AJ botched a Phenomenal Forearm on the first night and over the rest of the weekend he would either hesitate and decide not to do it or attempt and botch it again, finally hitting it on the last(?) night. Whether or not that first one was intentional, they made a fun little story out of it.

AEW just did something similar with Christopher Daniels botching a moonsault on Pentagon Jr. and it ended up giving his character a lot of depth.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Doc M posted:

I first saw that in No Mercy's create-a-wrestler mode and thought it was made up for the game.

edit: actually I think it was Scott's finisher in Revenge before that but I either never saw it in that game or just forgot

No Mercy gave 110% animating that move. You can really see the other dude hit the mat head first and his spine telescope a little bit.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

used to really love doing perceived severe head trauma to the video game humans in the aki games. before crushing the skull and brain was considered bad. those were the only wrestling games where occasionally you could kind of see a guy really seem like he passed out while standing due to a horrible concussion and then fell down. some times. i think it was with chairs maybe or maybe i made up that they were knocked out before hitting the ground, due to loving horrid violence

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

video game wrestling is double fake

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Cavauro posted:

used to really love doing perceived severe head trauma to the video game humans in the aki games. before crushing the skull and brain was considered bad. those were the only wrestling games where occasionally you could kind of see a guy really seem like he passed out while standing due to a horrible concussion and then fell down. some times. i think it was with chairs maybe or maybe i made up that they were knocked out before hitting the ground, due to loving horrid violence

So you're looking forward to the new Doom I take it?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no i'm not like that any more.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, shame, it looks pretty dope

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So everybody warns me about ECW on the Network but what about the classic tape libraries from places like WCCW? Were those ruined?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't know about World Class specifically but they went through and replaced music on pretty much everything you can think of on the Network, including old WWF/E shows.

It's noticable, but given how much Heyman/ECW built their promos/entrances/shows around using popular music I imagine it hits ECW shows way harder than just about any other show.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

One of my favorite dubbed music moments on the Network was on a 1998 Nitro. The nWo theme starts playing and Tony Schiavone says "That's not Hollywood Hogan's theme, that's the nWo theme so this must be someone else coming out!" Randy Savage shows up and cuts a promo.

About 15 minutes later the nWo theme starts playing again, this time much louder and clearer as Tony goes "That's not the nWo theme, that's Hogan's personal theme, Voodoo Child!" while the poorly overdubbed 4 LIFE is trying to drown him out.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 15, 2020

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's the bigger failure, the Performance Center or the Power Plant?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the power plant created multiple big stars (goldberg, the giant, etc.) and didn't serve solely to train people to be more injury prone

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i just found out paul wight was minimally trained and didn't really do any of it at the power plant. I was certain he came from there. sorry for lying.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The power plant churned out more bad wrestlers than the performance center could ever dream of.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Cavauro posted:

i just found out paul wight was minimally trained and didn't really do any of it at the power plant. I was certain he came from there. sorry for lying.

I forgive you

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

reminder that paul "the "big show" giant" wight won the WCW championship in his second professional wrestling match ever

by disqualification

WCW, folks

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Michael Oku is also known as OJMO. What’s behind the OJMO name?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The power plant churned out more bad wrestlers than the performance center could ever dream of.

I mean this is true; is so far as the Power Plant churned out a lot of wrestlers who were mostly bad while the Performance Centre churns out no one

TriffTshngo posted:

reminder that paul "the "big show" giant" wight won the WCW championship in his second professional wrestling match ever

by disqualification

WCW, folks

I will always claim that the rule in US wrestling that titles can't change hands via DQs or count-outs is incredibly dumb. I get the historical reason for the DQ part (was to protect against screwjobs in times where there was a legit fear that a rogue promoter might change the World Title in that way) but the count-out bit makes no sense and seems to just be something that the WWWF started doing and everyone eventually copied post-national expansion. Today it makes no sense: why should someone that cheats in a match and gets disqualified be allowed to retain their title: it makes no sense and why should someone who legitimately loses the match retain a title just because they lost in a certain way? Add in the fact that it gives lazy bookers an excuse to book matches with no intent to give a meaningful finish and that they've been used as crutches forever things would be better if you got rid of that idea.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the problem is that there are so many ways to get DQ'ed and the majority of them are enforced inconsistently if at all

when was the last time you saw someone getting DQed for a closed fist? or a tag partner not getting out of the ring at 5? or a manager tripping up an opponent?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

I will always claim that the rule in US wrestling that titles can't change hands via DQs or count-outs is incredibly dumb. I get the historical reason for the DQ part (was to protect against screwjobs in times where there was a legit fear that a rogue promoter might change the World Title in that way) but the count-out bit makes no sense and seems to just be something that the WWWF started doing and everyone eventually copied post-national expansion. Today it makes no sense: why should someone that cheats in a match and gets disqualified be allowed to retain their title: it makes no sense and why should someone who legitimately loses the match retain a title just because they lost in a certain way? Add in the fact that it gives lazy bookers an excuse to book matches with no intent to give a meaningful finish and that they've been used as crutches forever things would be better if you got rid of that idea.

In a modern context I think it makes sense for the DQ rule to still exist so you can use it to build storylines further and extend babyface title chases a bit longer, with it leading to some kind of big final match with a stipulation with no DQs, or title change via DQ. WWE being terrible and overusing it + doing it badly for 20 years doesn't necessarily make it a bad rule to have. The particular situation with the Giant I was referencing was just extra stupid because you only found this out the next night on Nitro because Jimmy Hart secretly turned on Hogan beforehand, getting the stip added to the match without him knowing, and then interfering when he was still, in the ref's eyes, on Hogan's side, which meant Hogan got DQ'd. It's the kind of poo poo even WWE don't do because it's so stupid. Not to defend the bad company but at least when they do a "Title changes hands on DQ" stip it's like, part of the story, like when Christian won it from Randy in 2011, lame as that finish was. WCW just did it because they were WCW CREATIVE CONTROL, BROTHER.

The count-out thing though yeah that can go. It's nice watching New Japan where the threat of a count-out title change is real, even if they literally never use it and everyone knows they won't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

video game wrestling is double fake

Actually it's less fake because the winner is not pre-determined.

Makes u think

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
DQs should be at the referees discretion.

It always added something during a main event that was getting a little too violent when JR would explain that the ref was allowing some leeway so that we would get a clear winner.

Was it Jack Tunney or Gorilla that would always come out and say they couldn't reverse a crooked referee decision (because of respect for the office of referee lol) but would put together a rematch for the wronged face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WWE did that once recently.

They had that Ambrose/Miz title match with the stip that Ambrose could lose the title on DQ. So Maryse slapped Miz, but the ref refused to call it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Benne posted:

In Chikara, they had a guy named Equinox who was a Wrestle Factory student promoted as a generic luchador from Mexico. His high-flying stuff was garbage and his finisher, a running Shooting Star Press, looked absolutely terrible every time. Like Starship Pain, but with more flailing.

Then after a while they unmasked him and turned it into a storyline. He was Vin Gerard, a Wrestle Factory washout who faked an identity to get booked. This reveal turned him into a locker room pariah, allowed him to wrestle a more grounded style and got him over as the company's new top heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What are some of the worst title reigns? Like I've just watched HHH beat Rock for the IC title in 98 and while the match was great, the title reign is non existent - defended it once to bury Owen Hart then vacate it.

Big Shows 99 and 02 WWE title reigns are in there. Dean Ambrose had a nothing run as US title during his Shield days. I guess this could be a Kofi/Mix/Ziggler question.