Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

Fire Warriors are really good troops. Fifty of them is "only" 350 points though. Broadsides with Railguns and Crisis Suits with basically anything got much, much better when The Greater Good came out for real like an hour ago. You're also definitely going to want a Commander or two eventually.

If castle Tau dies in favour of working fire warriors, crisis suits, this is great loving news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Foul Ole Ron posted:

If castle Tau dies in favour of working fire warriors, crisis suits, this is great loving news.

I think the crisis suits really only work at the moment with the Farsight Enclave because you can make one unit a super crisis suit unit with like 3+ BS and 4+ WS. So basically you take a big blob of them as crisis suit Bodyguards, and combine it with the fact the Farsight enclaves can take two commanders per detachment.

So you end up with 6 commanders (different datacards due to the type of armour means you can take 6) and then a big blob of Crisis Suit Bodyguards.

Outaide of that I think they are still not great.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Cross post:
Very excited to be done painting tanks for a bit, completed my second Plagueburst Crawler for a fully painted 2K list:

Gonna get a game in with it later today. :zombie:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

PierreTheMime posted:

Cross post:
Very excited to be done painting tanks for a bit, completed my second Plagueburst Crawler for a fully painted 2K list:

Gonna get a game in with it later today. :zombie:

Beautiful work. If the goo coming out the cannon part of the sculpt or your addition?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Lizard Combatant posted:

Beautiful work. If the goo coming out the cannon part of the sculpt or your addition?

Just slapped some Nurgles Rot technical on it, when it’s totally dry it will deflate a little but it adds a nice barfy touch to the cannon.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

TKIY posted:

Finally got around to finishing this ridiculous design for the Sisters:

Yo which dice are those? The colors rock.

Also are you selling that miracle dice holder?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

At what time do you pick stuff like warlord traits and psychic powers? List building or right before the game? I know anything given from a stratagem is right before the game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Floppychop posted:

At what time do you pick stuff like warlord traits and psychic powers? List building or right before the game? I know anything given from a stratagem is right before the game.

roll for em every turn

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Floppychop posted:

Your warlord is chosen during list building but traits and powers are a pre-game decision, just like relics. If you're playing ITC they have the step by step process printed in the mission packet.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

is there anything preventing a <titanic> astra militarum bomber from picking up a <titanic> tank ace ability

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

hard counter posted:

is there anything preventing a <titanic> astra militarum bomber from picking up a <titanic> tank ace ability

Not as of yet.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I know complaining about your army being GW's unloved stepchild in favour of [whoever is OP at the moment] is passe, but the new PA rules highlight just how much more buffs Space Marines get than basically everyone else.

Consider:
PA5 IG or whatever can create a custom Regimental Doctrine, but in doing so lose the ability to use existing Regimental stratagems, relics and orders - which can be a huge deal. This means that choosing a custom doctrine is a big trade-off.
Codex Astartes: get to choose your own custom chapter tactic. But you don't lose access to parent chapter warlord traits or stratagems. Hell, just have everything. You lose access to a few relics but you can get those by 1CP anyway.

See also: drop pods being allowed to turn 1 deploy in people's faces after everyone else gets the capability to do it taken away, Grey Knights getting army wide buffs basically for free for things Thousand Sons have to get a warlord trait and a relic for, etc.

Admittedly GK absolutely needed it, but it has to be a deliberate design choice at this point.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 16, 2020

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
Got in a game with my Death Guard, now finally up to 2K painted after years. Highlights included both players having critical assaults absolutely bounce off their target (Daemon Prince vs Cawl, Knight Errant versus Typhus) and some solid long range shooting on both sides.

Group shot:

AdMech on the approach:

The epic battle (Typhus won :zombie:):

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

MinistryofLard posted:

I know complaining about your army being GW's unloved stepchild in favour of [whoever is OP at the moment] is passe, but the new PA rules highlight just how much more buffs Space Marines get than basically everyone else.

Consider:
PA5 IG or whatever can create a custom Regimental Doctrine, but in doing so lose the ability to use existing Regimental stratagems, relics and orders - which can be a huge deal. This means that choosing a custom doctrine is a big trade-off.
Codex Astartes: get to choose your own custom chapter tactic. But you don't lose access to parent chapter warlord traits or stratagems. Hell, just have everything. You lose access to a few relics but you can get those by 1CP anyway.

See also: drop pods being allowed to turn 1 deploy in people's faces after everyone else gets the capability to do it taken away, Grey Knights getting army wide buffs basically for free for things Thousand Sons have to get a warlord trait and a relic for, etc.

Admittedly GK absolutely needed it, but it has to be a deliberate design choice at this point.

It's absolutely true and just not really worth talking about because it'll never change. I'm trying to come back into this hobby after selling my Eldar army ~7 years ago and even without looking at the new edition's rules I knew I'd be playing Primaris Marines in some kind of Successor Chapter. Constant model support, accessible box set deals and a good secondary market, plus forgiving and varied rulesets are the hallmark of marine armies since 3rd ed.

Game balance is anathema to GW and they don't know how to differentiate child armies without just piling rules on top of them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think Thousand Sons are still stronger than Grey Knights. They pay for some things but they get other utterly bananas stuff as compensation. They also get to be useful against all comers and native buffs v imperium, the most common enemy. Grey Knights will be good v Tzeentch armies with lots of daemons for sure, but they're more limited in scope.

As for model support I think Chaos has done really well of late. It's a shame there aren't more new kits for armies like Eldar, but once the Primaris main waves are down I think GW will focus hard on another faction.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Forgive my ignorance as someone who barely ever properly plays 40k, but were there any editions where Space Marines weren't very good, or even sucked?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

Forgive my ignorance as someone who barely ever properly plays 40k, but were there any editions where Space Marines weren't very good, or even sucked?

Yeah this edition prior to codex 2 which made them insane.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Still, marines always have been and always will be the most supported army. They’re the most purchased and popular army so it makes sense GW keeps on top of them.

This seemed plain enough to see 12 years ago when I first heard of 40k. My god...time do fly.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

Absolutely, Space Marines have usually been mediocre. This second round 8th ed book is a bit of an outlier.

JBP posted:

once the Primaris main waves are down I think GW will focus hard on another faction.
Hahahahaha

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've always played space wolves but the moment GW went back to custom chapters I was in on primaris. I love that poo poo and I'm really happy they've brought back that element to 40k.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Historically they've done big refreshes. One happening now is sisters. Hopefully they'll revisit Orks, Guard or Eldar for a series of releases.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
The third edition chaos marine codex was so strong that to penalize it for being more powerful than the loyalist codex they performed the Juche sentence of three generations of punishment

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

PinheadSlim posted:

Depends what you mean by "space marines".

If you mean "any space marine army ever" then no, because there is always at least one superior subfaction at any given time. Examples being Blood Angels and Space Wolves being better than "Codex: Space Marines" for example.

If the bar is "has there ever been a time when playing any sort of variant of space marine sucks" then it's no, but if it's "is playing vanilla marines ever bad?" then yeah, vanilla space marines used to be mediocre.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Space Wolves used to be loving nuts, I loved it.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I'm still holding out hope that chaos cults and dark mechanicus get actual armies some day, given their prominence in the lore. When was the last actual new army added to the game? Custodes in like 2017?

JBP posted:

I've always played space wolves but the moment GW went back to custom chapters I was in on primaris. I love that poo poo and I'm really happy they've brought back that element to 40k.

Playing your dudes is always cool and good and GW should support this as much as possible.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
To be fair, Marine doctrines also don't impact vehicles, when they do for every single other faction besides for some reason Genestealer Cult. So GW just seems to develop asymmetrically for some reason.

That said, every faction has a codex and a PA for 8th, and other editions sometimes passed without dven making new codexes, so GW's better about it than they've been before.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

To be fair, Marine doctrines also don't impact vehicles, when they do for every single other faction besides for some reason Genestealer Cult. So GW just seems to develop asymmetrically for some reason.

That said, every faction has a codex and a PA for 8th, and other editions sometimes passed without dven making new codexes, so GW's better about it than they've been before.

Marine stuff impacts vehicles.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Bee posted:

Codex Space Marines 2 gives the chapter keyword to vehicles. It is one of the many reasons people went loving nuts. I can move my tanks as an ultramarine and shoot heavy weapons with no penalty. I can also have tanks fall back and still get to shoot with only a -1 to hit. It loving rules.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MinistryofLard posted:

I'm still holding out hope that chaos cults and dark mechanicus get actual armies some day, given their prominence in the lore. When was the last actual new army added to the game? Custodes in like 2017?
It's not 40k, but BULBASAUR just revealed an awesome dark mech army at our little LVO ZM event.

BULBASAUR posted:

Archmagos Malagra
x15 Tech thralls
x3 Ursarax
x15 Peletas
x3 Destructors

Took over a year

Dark mech don't have rules in 30k yet either, but they're coming in book 10 and it's not like standard mechanicum aren't weird as hell already. Playing standard mechanicum as traitors is the way to go for now, but book 8, Malevolence, has added a few wacky relics you can use to add flavor. These include the ability to upgrade a tank to consume souls to repair itself, a faulty psychic servoskull that might curse you or explode instead of doing what it's supposed to, a book that lets any non-psyker/non-demon character summon demonic brutes, or goddamn enuncia with a 1/3 chance to completely gently caress yourself over. You only get to pick one though and some of them can be pretty expensive.

Chaos cults are also possible through the militia list. The list itself is rather limited, but you get to choose up to two provenances to customize your army. These vary from survivors of the dark age to abhumans, cyborgs, feral warriors, etc. There are also two traitor-only provenances to represent a horde of insane zealots or a bunch of horrible mutants. Those two can be played together or can be mixed with others with a few limitations. It's a really cool list and open to a lot of interpretation. For example, Ghazk did a squat army for LVO.

Ghazk posted:

Here’s the whole thing:

The rough list:
Force Commander
Abhuman and Cybernetics to give all infantry +1 T and a 6++.
Merchant Princeling to give the missile launcher teams better AP.

2 Discipline Masters
3 Medics
12 Grenadiers
5 Recon Infantry with demolition charge
5 Missile Launcher Teams
3 Multimelta Sentinels
5 Ogryn
Medusa Carriage

15 wounds of T6 ogryn who are too tough to be instakilled by dreadnoughts in melee, and an obscene immobile cannon really changes the usual flow and feel of ZM. If I roll defender I’m happy, if I roll attacker, it’s an uphill battle.

Much credit to both of these guys for their awesome armies.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Out of curiousity, how bad are grots in 8th? I've ended up with probably 60 of them over time and I'm not sure there was ever a time they were good for much, so I'm assuming that's still true. Most of my orks are a rag-tag assembly from the last 25 years so it's all pretty haphazard.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I just won an ebay lot for a box of original 1989 guard. May have been bidding against a couple of you even. These are the models that got me in to 40k but there are only 30 in the lot. Does anyone know 3rd party makers with that aesthetic? I know Mad Robot and the Grognards but I’m wondering about other sources.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

jassi007 posted:

Codex Space Marines 2 gives the chapter keyword to vehicles. It is one of the many reasons people went loving nuts. I can move my tanks as an ultramarine and shoot heavy weapons with no penalty. I can also have tanks fall back and still get to shoot with only a -1 to hit. It loving rules.

gently caress, serious? GW better give Purestrains and trucks access to cult creeds down the line, then. Its silly that the most efficient way a Genestealer Cult and run Genestealers is by having a Tyranid (probably Kraken) Patrol pick up the slack there.

That also means there's 0 reason for custom subfactions to lose relic, stratagem, and warlord trait access. It just disincentivizes building Your Dudes, and with only the flimsiest of lore justification.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 16, 2020

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ashcans posted:

Out of curiousity, how bad are grots in 8th? I've ended up with probably 60 of them over time and I'm not sure there was ever a time they were good for much, so I'm assuming that's still true. Most of my orks are a rag-tag assembly from the last 25 years so it's all pretty haphazard.

Many Ork lists have tons of Grots on the table. They're cheap, they screen well, you can use Grot Shields to intercept attacks on more important units.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Corrode posted:

Many Ork lists have tons of Grots on the table. They're cheap, they screen well, you can use Grot Shields to intercept attacks on more important units.

Was going to just mention grot shields. That poo poo is so annoying. It's really good.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Ashcans posted:

Grots are key to ork lists in 8th.

As already mentioned, grot shields lets you protect key units. They're also incredibly cheap. 90 points of grots will give you enough troops to fill out a battalion. Since orks also have pretty good HQ units, that makes it easy to take three separate battalions to help maximize your CP.

They're arguably even more key now that boy spam isn't quite as good in the marine meta, since you don't necessarily want to take 90 boyz in every army.

Your sixty grots are enough to fill out two battalions already. Depending on your plans, you might take one more unit of grots to fill out a battalion with two blobs of boyz.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

also grots killing expensive units is hype as poo poo take as many as you can

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Beerdeer posted:

I just won an ebay lot for a box of original 1989 guard. May have been bidding against a couple of you even. These are the models that got me in to 40k but there are only 30 in the lot. Does anyone know 3rd party makers with that aesthetic? I know Mad Robot and the Grognards but I’m wondering about other sources.

I was definitely watching that, I planned on bidding when it was super low. I'm gonna have to settle for the Grognards lol

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Mek Gunz loving rule as well, and they're Grots! Kinda.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't fire a shokk attack gun without some little green friends :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

SteelMentor posted:

Mek Gunz loving rule as well, and they're Grots! Kinda.

Killa Kans too

not necessarily in gameplay, but just in general