Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NienNunb posted:

DS9 Best Trek

You can't just make objective claims about subjective opinions, dude. God that just makes me so mad, some people are so presump-.... oh wait, you said DS9 was best Trek. Nevermind, you're 100% objectively right :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Big Huski Boi posted:

I haven't seen any of Discovery but people were complaining about Picard being too dark and it made me wonder if everyone just forgot about DS9.

DS9 was a deadly serious show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-pSg1PbPa8

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah this one thing I enjoyed about TNG and DS9, it wasn’t always high space dramatics, you pretty much lived with the characters. Disco is a much tighter story that rarely leaves the action. It doesn’t really let cool actors do things you’ve never seen them do.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

coconono posted:

Yeah this one thing I enjoyed about TNG and DS9, it wasn’t always high space dramatics, you pretty much lived with the characters. Disco is a much tighter story that rarely leaves the action. It doesn’t really let cool actors do things you’ve never seen them do.

Some of my favorite DS9 episodes, like Rom Starts a Union or Sisko & Co. Become 1950's sci-fi writers, just couldn't exist in the current drama heavy Star Trek and it's a shame that every show has to be Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones and you can't take a week off from advancing the plot to just have the characters do fun and goofy stuff.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 15, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think my favorite "fun" episode was when out of nowhere they have an episode about Quark's family trying to pull off a hostage exchange/rescue where they accidentally kill their hostage and literally remote control him through the handover. It ends with the dead hostage (who to be fair, was a monster) slamming repeatedly into the side of a wall while Quark is yelling at his brother to shut it down, and his brother is going,"I CAN'T! I CAN'T!" and you can tell both the actors are about 0.5 of a second away from corpsing. It's the best :allears:

This was right in the middle of a super-serious war arc about religion too, which made it even better.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerusalem posted:

I think my favorite "fun" episode was when out of nowhere they have an episode about Quark's family trying to pull off a hostage exchange/rescue where they accidentally kill their hostage and literally remote control him through the handover. It ends with the dead hostage (who to be fair, was a monster) slamming repeatedly into the side of a wall while Quark is yelling at his brother to shut it down, and his brother is going,"I CAN'T! I CAN'T!" and you can tell both the actors are about 0.5 of a second away from corpsing. It's the best :allears:

This was right in the middle of a super-serious war arc about religion too, which made it even better.

If I remember, they walk away from a big shootout and the vorta is still just running into the wall over and over again after they jerry-rigged a device to fire impulses into its brain to Weekend At Bernies it because Nog (an Engineering Ensign with zero medical knowledge) said "The body is basically just a machine."

It owned.

Armin Shimerman & Max Grodénchik are great at portraying bickering brothers. I remember as a kid I wrote down all of the Rules of Acquisition lines and would say them whenever I could link it to something my dad (who got me into Star Trek) said until he eventually took my notebook with the Rules in it and tossed it into his office and said "We're done with this."

Edit - Also a great DS9 episode was Who Mourns for Morn as it was pretty much just silly crime comedy.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 15, 2020

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's nothing funny about any of this. That baseball game was important.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mekchu posted:

Edit - Also a great DS9 episode was Who Mourns for Morn as it was pretty much just silly crime comedy.

I could watch YouTube compilations of Morn quotes all day.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DS9 felt the most realistic and felt like it gave you a taste of what life is like in the universe. I'm also a sucker for stories that take place just outside of the perfect Utopia and show what it takes to make sure the Utopia survives.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

coconono posted:

a squirrel taught me all the cuss words so they are ok in my book.

A squirrel taught me what bees do to flowers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gumball Gumption posted:

DS9 felt the most realistic and felt like it gave you a taste of what life is like in the universe. I'm also a sucker for stories that take place just outside of the perfect Utopia and show what it takes to make sure the Utopia survives.

Yeah. I’ve been combing literature and TV for years looking for answers on how to arrive at utopia and keep it going.

So far everyone’s conceit is that we’ll fall in line to an infallible decision maker and it’ll be ok. Which we keep trying IRL and it never works.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I feel like fiction invariably has a fascist bent because you have to have a protagonist

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

I feel like fiction invariably has a fascist bent because you have to have a protagonist

https://twitter.com/philgreaves01/status/942709261347500032?lang=en

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
you could read poo poo that isn’t genre fiction

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I read Masters of Doom and John Carmack did a fascism that nearly tanked the company!

Then he went on to build rockets.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

WatermelonGun posted:

you could read poo poo that isn’t genre fiction

Thats where all the shiny things are tho

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I read Masters of Doom and John Carmack did a fascism that nearly tanked the company!

Then he went on to build rockets.

I have that book on my list but haven't gotten around to it, can you explain what Mr. Carmack did?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yeah it is a good thing we all engage with entertainment produced by good, leftist media empires here at *checks what subforum I am in and animorphs into Pheobe Buffay* oh no

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Big Huski Boi posted:

I have that book on my list but haven't gotten around to it, can you explain what Mr. Carmack did?
So the best games Id ever made under him are Doom and Quake, right? With Doom being the best?

The storyline of the book is basically that Carmack is the most important person at Id, so he slowly becomes a dictator and sucks all the life out of the company, which results in worse and worse products. He's also dogshit at micromanaging and not willing to delegate to his own personal suffering.

It's actually a pretty depressing book. They had it all and Carmack pissed it away before going off to build rockets and ... Oculus rift or something?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Spiderdrake posted:

They had it all and Carmack pissed it away before going off to build rockets and ... Oculus rift or something?

There's like 20+ years between Doom and Oculus, id soft still exists and still makes good games, and Carmack is megarich and works for Facebook. Doesn't sound like anyone pissed anything away but I don't really know much about Carmack's family life or other stuff that may have suffered.

Spiderdrake posted:

So the best games Id ever made under him are Doom and Quake, right? With Doom being the best?

Also Quake3/Arena was both a better and more important game than anything that's ever come out named Doom. :colbert:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

John Carmac is a libertarian bitch who defends crunch and ordered so much Pizza Hut during the making of Wolfenstein that they just knew to deliver to him every day without him calling.

John Romero said Trans Rights.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Also Romero released a real good level pack for the original Doom semi recently with music done by Buckethead.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Brut posted:

Also Quake3/Arena was both a better and more important game than anything that's ever come out named Doom. :colbert:
Q3A is barely a footnote in gaming history. If that. It dwells down with Rage and Dangerous Dave.

NienNunb posted:

John Carmac is a libertarian bitch who defends crunch
Yeah but that's a theme of the book. He'd crunch himself. There's a chapter where he takes a vacation to a hotel room where he did more crunch. The man made himself, from the sounds of it, insanely miserable while driving away everyone good to him. He had zero talent for management and delegation.

He's an absolute genius though.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the most important game is mr driller 2

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NienNunb posted:

ordered so much Pizza Hut during the making of Wolfenstein that they just knew to deliver to him every day without him calling.

This sounds real cool. Like, there are worse ways to die than arteries clogged with Pizza Hut

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Was at my friend’s birthday party. My oldest friend, we’ve been friends since we were 7. He’s just turning 30.

He got massively drunk (ok I did too) and demanded we book flights to Berlin this summer and that I’d be his tour guide. So we did.

It’s gonna be great

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Carmack is an ok billionaire. Which means you should rob him at every given moment.

Now Cliffy B, that’s a real rear end in a top hat.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the best game designer is Yasuhito Nagaoka

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Current best game designer is Hugo Martin, who worked on Pacific Rim and also laughed at people dying to monsters while doing press duty. I mean, in his game, not like laughing at people dying to monsters while the press talks to him.

Though maybe he's a horrible monster, I haven't read much.

coconono posted:

Carmack is an ok billionaire. Which means you should rob him at every given moment.
His net worth estimate is 50 million.

I'm kinda blown away that the estimate on Gabe Newell's net worth is in the billions. Guess Steam scammed a lot more people with Early Access than I thought.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Video Games are a lot of work and anyone that gets one to market went through some poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress Gabe. Dude decides to release the new Half-Life three days after Animal Crossing. I'm not made of time, guy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

And the new Doom, to bring us full circle.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm kinda blown away that the estimate on Gabe Newell's net worth is in the billions. Guess Steam scammed a lot more people with Early Access than I thought.

He's principle owner of Valve (since his co-founder left in 2000) so all of the profits from Half-Life made him rich before Steam even existed. There are no corporate or VC interests AFAIK so all of the profits go straight into his bank account, or else those of employees with stock options. But he owns more than 50% of all stock as well.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Big Huski Boi posted:

gently caress Gabe. Dude decides to release the new Half-Life three days after Animal Crossing. I'm not made of time, guy.

I know it's been a while since one came so I'd like to remind you that Half-Life games are like 15ish hours long and not 40+ or whatever like Ubisoft games or something, and this one is a VR game so it's likely to be even shorter.

Also didn't Animal Crossing change it's release date at least once?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kvantum posted:

He's principle owner of Valve (since his co-founder left in 2000) so all of the profits from Half-Life made him rich before Steam even existed. There are no corporate or VC interests AFAIK so all of the profits go straight into his bank account, or else those of employees with stock options. But he owns more than 50% of all stock as well.

no VC? holy poo poo that dude should run a class at a university.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

coconono posted:

no VC? holy poo poo that dude should run a class at a university.
They never went public or sold stock or ever needed to do any of that kind of poo poo to my knowledge. Valve is all Valve.

I'm really sad I never got to tour Valve when I was in Seattle in 2018 but my friend was ill that weekend.

And then he released Artifact. Oof.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I get the impression Valve is really poorly run these days but are also too big to fail. They got in at the right time and with the right product in stream that they strangled all the competition in the crib and as long as they can keep the lights on they will print money.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gumball Gumption posted:

I get the impression Valve is really poorly run these days but are also too big to fail. They got in at the right time and with the right product in stream that they strangled all the competition in the crib and as long as they can keep the lights on they will print money.

The Steam side of things is overall fine, it's their game development side that is a complete mess

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

The Steam side of things is overall fine, it's their game development side that is a complete mess
Steam is notoriously riddled with problems, had no QA department or customer support for years and probably still has piles of issues. But it's the same problems: Valve is only concerned with either doing things for fun, or making money. Gamers were giving them money hand over fist for dota crap and hats and early access crap. No catalyst for change as long as they can print money and bank on the "good guy valve" reputation.

Although I don't think Valve is ever malicious, just hard I indolent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
what movie should i watch tonight