Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sininu posted:

I don't really remember this and not gonna reinstall it again, but try right click?

E: well, I'm actually reinstalling just to test this. Brb in 5 min.

Ye, right click drops stuff.
It was surprisingly fiddly to get running. :s In fullscreen mode it locks to 24fps. Eugh.

yesssssss

I don't play it in fullscreen mode - windowed mode has been working perfectly for me!

life is perfect and beautiful they're so adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not using the birds as a weapon, smdh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Not using the birds as a weapon, smdh.

how could i ever do harm to this precious being

Orv
May 4, 2011
At extremely high speeds, from cloak.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

...this.... precious... being???

oh god i think i found the aliens already

e: where are you going??

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeet it into the sea, just to be safe.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Yeet it into the sea, just to be safe.

I can't, it's too high up even for superjumps! It's free! (oh god!)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well there goes your speed run.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

e: To add some content to this post (goodbye, sweet chicken) I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around Crysis so far. You get a whole trailer about how you're immune to bullets and super awesome, but if you don't stick to stealth and playing as the predator, you can get fried instantly. Also, I'm already running into ammo starvation - I mean I'm using bullets to see what can be pushed around and what sound effects are so this isn't an efficient run, but it's... huh. Like the game WANTS me to swap to chicken toss kills.

That said the graphics and details are lovely for an older game, and obviously I adore that you can pick up basically everything.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 16, 2020

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: To add some content to this post (goodbye, sweet chicken) I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around Crysis so far. You get a whole trailer about how you're immune to bullets and super awesome, but if you don't stick to stealth and playing as the predator, you can get fried instantly. Also, I'm already running into ammo starvation - I mean I'm using bullets to see what can be pushed around and what sound effects are so this isn't an efficient run, but it's... huh. Like the game WANTS me to swap to chicken toss kills.

That said the graphics and details are lovely for an older game, and obviously I adore that you can pick up basically everything.

Pick up ammo from houses and enemies. Lack of ammo is only a concern for some more exotic weapons and the Scar, the assault rifle you start with, since no-one but your allies use that weapon.

I found the game better as predator sim but the guns blazing approach can work well on lower difficulties. Just know to keep your armour mode active so damage will drain your energy instead of health.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 16, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You need to be aggressive about switching modes. Strength mode reduces sway and recoil, speed mode makes you switch weapons, reload, and ADS faster, and armor does reduce damage. Don't just fight in armor mode. If you're going to stick to a single mode while fighting, strength is usually the best one because it lets you deal out so much damage.

The trap that a lot of people fall into is cloaking into an engagement, firing out of stealth, and then dying because they have no more energy. Swap to strength mode before the shot, you're more accurate that way and don't use all your energy. You don't want to run out of energy in a fight, you want to be able to stealth or speed to run and hide if you need to.

Overall, in Crysis you're really not a walking tank. You have to use SOMETHING to your advantage, be it positioning, mobility, accuracy, or stealth.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

K8.0 posted:

You need to be aggressive about switching modes. Strength mode reduces sway and recoil, speed mode makes you switch weapons, reload, and ADS faster, and armor does reduce damage. Don't just fight in armor mode. If you're going to stick to a single mode while fighting, strength is usually the best one because it lets you deal out so much damage.
If there's an actual firefight, staying in armour mode most of the time is the best option by far. Enemies are very accurate and will drain your hp near instantly like you say in the next paragraph.

K8.0 posted:

The trap that a lot of people fall into is cloaking into an engagement, firing out of stealth, and then dying because they have no more energy. Swap to strength mode before the shot, you're more accurate that way and don't use all your energy.
Yes to this.

E: oh a big tip for playing stealthily: lie down in those low dome shaped bushes (and maybe some other bush shapes too, been a while) to recharge your energy. Enemies can't see you in them.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 16, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Oxxidation posted:

the extremely low trophy percentages on kentucky route zero are bumming me out

I noticed that too and I have to imagine something is going on there. They are both extremely low and easy to get. Probably since they added the cheevs after the initial release so it's not catching everyone who played it back in the day.

Fallom posted:

It was never going to be a popular game, being a point and click graphic novel, and also they took 6 years or whatever to put all the episodes out

Not really surprising

Popularity aside the achievement stats pull from owners of the game (and I think you have to at least load it once) so the stats would suggest that the number of people who bought it and the number of people who played it more than 5 minutes are heavily out of sync. Even moreso than most games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
act 3 of kr0 still gets me. not just the obvious scene in the diner, but the optional one at the drive-in theater

"He gave up."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

Popularity aside the achievement stats pull from owners of the game (and I think you have to at least load it once) so the stats would suggest that the number of people who bought it and the number of people who played it more than 5 minutes are heavily out of sync. Even moreso than most games.
The achievements were added recently, I think I played the first 4 acts previously but I didn't have any achievements until I booted it up earlier today.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Whoa. Metro: Exodus only just launched on Steam and it's already gotten a 40% off sale.

Patience sure is a virtue sometimes.

Incrediblastic
Oct 29, 2010

I eat food.
Some Keys since I got a bunch of bundles and should really be active in the steam anonymous thread.

Guacamelee! Super *urbo Championship Edition: Q667K-M2PP*-KBVAY
Agatha *hristie - The AB* Murders: QY4X8-R5WZX-H8*WF
T*e Hex: Y7A84-5*F5F-VL4MG
*ownfall: P7*95-VEP5P-TDBQD

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Incrediblastic posted:

Some Keys since I got a bunch of bundles and should really be active in the steam anonymous thread.

Thanks for this one!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Incrediblastic posted:

Guacamelee! Super *urbo Championship Edition: Q667K-M2PP*-KBVAY
*ownfall: P7*95-VEP5P-TDBQD

Wow. I didn't think it would be available still but I got Downfall. Thanks.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Krazyface posted:

I think the game where they messed up the campaign balance for MP was in CnC 3. The mission where you get Mammoth Tanks for the first time becomes a total slog (because they're weaker and more expensive); any mission with lots of scripted infantry running around gets harder (because infantry were buffed across the board); etc. The only ones that get really impossible are near the end of the Nod campaign, though.

There are patch-reversion files floating around out there, but I could never get them to work.
The one that always comes to mind is there's a GDI mission in the middle of the campaign where you only get a Crane with no MCV, and the multiplayer balance patches messed with what the Crane can build so IIRC you couldn't replace any of the defensive structures that you had if you lost them. Not impossible to beat, but very noticeable in a "this is not how the mission is supposed to go" way.

As for patch-reversion, I don't think I've found anyone who has made it work on Steam, which is really annoying because the game itself actually had a command-line option to launch an earlier version of the game, but only works on the disk copy of the game because the Steam version doesn't have the old version files that it would run off of.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: where are you going??

Ghostlight posted:

chickens aren't flightless.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Incrediblastic posted:

Neat, thanks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What the hell is Townfall and why won’t this key work

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This is gonna sound like the stupidest thing in the world, but I'm at the part in Claire's route in RE2make where you play as Sherry in the orphanage. I've been okay with zombies, lickers, and Mr. X stomping around, but I really, really don't like this part and would gladly not do it if it's possible. Is there any way to do that or am I SOL?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

This is gonna sound like the stupidest thing in the world, but I'm at the part in Claire's route in RE2make where you play as Sherry in the orphanage. I've been okay with zombies, lickers, and Mr. X stomping around, but I really, really don't like this part and would gladly not do it if it's possible. Is there any way to do that or am I SOL?

See if remote play together works with it and get a friend to play that part? Or watch a let's play of that bit to brace yourself and do it. At least I assume you want to skip it cause it's scary, haven't played that yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I haven’t played the Claire bit yet but Mr X triggers the nightmare portion of my brain pretty well.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

StrixNebulosa posted:

yesssssss

I don't play it in fullscreen mode - windowed mode has been working perfectly for me!

life is perfect and beautiful they're so adorable

MAXIMUM BIRD

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do you think a chicken would care if you picked it up and just set it down somewhere else like that? Would it run back to where it was like "thanks rear end in a top hat I was in the middle of something" or would it just hang out wherever you put it like "well guess I'm here now let's see what's up".

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Do you think a chicken would care if you picked it up and just set it down somewhere else like that? Would it run back to where it was like "thanks rear end in a top hat I was in the middle of something" or would it just hang out wherever you put it like "well guess I'm here now let's see what's up".

Chickens are relatively smart, for a dumb bird, they'd probably be fine doing either.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The trick is that chickens are likely to be simultaneously angry and terrified and consumed by greed even before you pick them up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am very glad i did not choose hard mode upon starting children of morta

this game has been most unkind to my hands

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Orv posted:

Chickens are relatively smart, for a dumb bird, they'd probably be fine doing either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybVb3t560oY

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
wait, kentucky route zero has optional scenes?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Trickyblackjack posted:

wait, kentucky route zero has optional scenes?

yes, whenever you get the chance to drive around (either on the interstate or the Zero) there's a bunch of little landmarks you can visit and some of them have fully animated scenes of their own

there's also entire chapters you can unlock by revisiting certain locations, usually revolving around Carrington

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Decided to pull up Steams Playnext page and it is suggesting CS:GO because it is similar to another game Terraria.
Also Destiny 2 because it is similar to No Mans Sky.

Good job Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OgNar posted:

Decided to pull up Steams Playnext page and it is suggesting CS:GO because it is similar to another game Terraria.

I dunno, ranked CS:GO is definitely acquiring a set of disparate tools to defeat a series of impossible seeming bosses who can do all kinds of bullshit.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, I'm already running into ammo starvation - I mean I'm using bullets to see what can be pushed around and what sound effects are so this isn't an efficient run, but it's... huh. Like the game WANTS me to swap to chicken toss kills.
Alerted and non-alerted enemy skulls have different strength. When they tighten up their brain muscles in danger they can shrug off a full clip, but when relaxed a single shot could kill them.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I see that Metro: Exodus is finally out on steam, is it worth getting? I loved the Stalker games and enjoyed the atmosphere of Metro 2033, but struggled with the aggressively on-rails gameplay and felt the actual gameplay part of the game was frustratingly janky. (I haven't played Last Light yet, since I'm holding out hope that if I keep grinding through 2033 it'll eventually click and get fun.)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Omi no Kami posted:

I see that Metro: Exodus is finally out on steam, is it worth getting? I loved the Stalker games and enjoyed the atmosphere of Metro 2033, but struggled with the aggressively on-rails gameplay and felt the actual gameplay part of the game was frustratingly janky. (I haven't played Last Light yet, since I'm holding out hope that if I keep grinding through 2033 it'll eventually click and get fun.)
I would suggest playing Last Light before Exodus and let that be the judge. But it's mostly more of the same.

Pro-tip, it's also on Xbox Game Pass for $5 and it's gunna be a once n done thing most likely (given theres so many games to play)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CJacobs posted:

Going from personal experience, they care very much and express it by vigorous pecking. In a chicken's mind, it is still a very tiny dinosaur.