Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

to be fair, the tag title match is a result of the dusty tag tournament, which was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I haven’t been keeping up with NXT too much but I watched this week’s episode and, uhh, is Velveteen Dream the babyface in this feud where he’s threatening to kill the other guy and bang his wife?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Karmine posted:

I haven’t been keeping up with NXT too much but I watched this week’s episode and, uhh, is Velveteen Dream the babyface in this feud where he’s threatening to kill the other guy and bang his wife?

Yes. Dream is sort of...Dream alignment...he's neither heel nor face, he's just the Dream. And he owns so much (and is riding the "came back from an injury" pop) that the crowd makes him the face in whatever he does.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Karmine posted:

I'm not really watching it either but apparently Roddy broke his back (in storyline) and put him out for four months and this is retaliation for that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm not really watching it either but apparently Roddy broke his back (in storyline) and put him out for four months and this is retaliation for that.
And took the title from him

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Karmine posted:

He wants revenge on a man who injured him, but beating him in a man. Because he's velveteen Dream he's doing a combination of mind games and maybe actually wanting to cuck Roddy and take his family.

It's not actually a cuck angle until he does, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KungFu Grip posted:

God didn't realize theres a takeover on sunday

The free month I signed up for (and immediately canceled) for Royal Rumble will still be active so I was gonna watch it, but I had assumed it would be on Saturday like normal. Sunday might not work out for me and I'm actually legit bummed because for all the many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many issues I have with WWE and in particular their handling of NXT, the Takeovers have remained great and I don't expect this one to be any different.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

NXT was exclusive to the Network for the longest time and they apparently didn't see enough potential in that to not ship it to TV at the first chance they got to gently caress over an alternative, so really I don't have any sympathy for them or their Network. They made this bed, let them die in it
never have sympathy for brands, doubly so for wwe.

(also considering the only serious money this company is making is on tv deals, it makes financial sense to sacrifice network numbers for ~$50m/year. they know how many people watched live and they likely know how many were only watching nxt, so they probably knew exactly how many subs were at risk.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Putting takeovers on Sunday night is a travesty. They're so fun to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It just occurred to me why NXT seemed so bland this week and I didn't even bother to watch it.

I watched the Top 10 Moments on YouTube. Every single match was a "tune up" match for the PPV, where there was a clear winner where the person needed to look strong going into their match. All of the highlights for the in ring segments added nothing to the feuds as well.

It's a completely skippable episode of NXT unless you want to see all the people that have never been on a Takeover job to all of the headliners

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Putting takeovers on Sunday night is a travesty. They're so fun to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon
No plural, the april one is on saturday and I think the next one after is as well.

I think there was a moment where they were thinking about making NXT stand a bit on its own as a brand and then ratings remained low so they pulled the rug out.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I preferred the takeovers on Saturday nights because that's the right time for wrestling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

coconono posted:

I preferred the takeovers on Saturday nights because that's the right time for wrestling.

Yeah. Wrestlemania live last year when you live 7 hours ahead was absolute death.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/kimberlasskick/status/1228845193060921344

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
heard she got a raise

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NXT UK Takeover Dublin in April :dukedog:

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

NXT UK Takeover Dublin in April :dukedog:

Not a big fan of that. It's on the day after an OTT show, it's going to hoover up sales, I'm afraid. I'm also afraid it means the end of whatever international waters deal OTT had where no one bothered with them.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought that was a good card. i thought keith lee vs dijak went way too long. ripley vs bianca didnt really have the heat or emotion the video package before the match tried to build up. i thought finn vs gargano was great, absolutely fantastic. cole vs ciampa was overbooked and spent way too much time outside the ring. nox vs kai was alright, more fire than the championship match, but felt like it was missing something. finish looked like it hurt.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

UK Takeover Dublin

Is Hunter taking control of the Black & Tans?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/AnnetteReid247/status/1229258959225266177
:unsmith:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Von Linus posted:

Not a big fan of that. It's on the day after an OTT show, it's going to hoover up sales, I'm afraid. I'm also afraid it means the end of whatever international waters deal OTT had where no one bothered with them.

We’ll see. WWE has fared poorly when there’s local pushback.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Von Linus posted:

. It's on the day after an OTT show, it's going to hoover up sales, I'm afraid.

Ah shite I didn't think they had a show that weekend. Lame. Hopefully OTT can capitalise on anyone coming over for the weekend.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It seems like a lot of people are getting burned out on these workrate matches that go super long and have tons of kickouts...

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Aren't Undisputed Era heels?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Wezlar posted:

Aren't Undisputed Era heels?
Yes but right now they are feuding with a guy who is constantly making suggestive and inappropriate comments about his rival's wife, a stoned-out meathead who is making third-grade taunts about another wrestler's name and a creepy obsessive stalker so... y'know... wrestling is a land of contrasts.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Took a while but NXT is finally Always Bad

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Seams posted:

When you remove the artificial factor that made it good - the constantly rotating section of the roster as people are called up or signed - NXT is just WWE.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seams posted:

Ah yes, criticising things NXT does you don't like is the same as saying it was never good, I am a very smart person.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its ok to like NXT. Just like its ok to not like it. Yeesh.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Seams posted:

Except for Keith Lee and Dominic Dijakovic. And maybe heel Finn.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

no dijak is still bad lol

that match was good but outside of his matches with keith lee he is and has been nothing, cmon

anyways i like the gargano/finn match and the tag match, the main event should've been about ten minutes shorter but thats been the case for the last 5 takeovers, otherwise it was still a good takeover and i still enjoy watching them

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Spiderdrake posted:

When you remove the artificial factor that made it good - the constantly rotating section of the roster as people are called up or signed - NXT is just WWE.

This is a very valid point I have not realized.

People would show up, get over, do their schtick for about a year, get called up, and then you'd get tired of them on the main roster. Garagano and Ciampa have been around since 2015. It's crazy how much the brand benefits from being forced to put new people on Takeovers and let them show what they can do

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Astro7x posted:

This is a very valid point I have not realized.

People would show up, get over, do their schtick for about a year, get called up, and then you'd get tired of them on the main roster. Garagano and Ciampa have been around since 2015. It's crazy how much the brand benefits from being forced to put new people on Takeovers and let them show what they can do
It’s also made King of the Indies era PWG good. But now every single takeover match is more of a Davey Richards ROH match. I loved the hell out of Dijakovic/Lee and I really enjoyed Tegan/Kai but by the time I got to the main event I was just suffering from major burnout. NXT has lost the diverse styles they used to have, there’s no “Big signee versus Breeze/Dillinger” matches anymore, they’re just all booked like takeover main events with varying time limits

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Is Dijak still doing that weird racist “bloodline” gimmick

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"Gimmick"

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I felt it at the time and I stand by it. The final days of NXT's prime run was Almas as champ. It was downhill from there.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i started to not care about nxt when nakamura won the belt back from samoa joe and lost it to bob roode

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

NXT has been bad since the end of Finn's run.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Cavauro posted:

i started to not care about nxt when nakamura won the belt back from samoa joe and lost it to bob roode

me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah I didn't care about any of that main event run. I don't think I even watched most of those matches on Takeover. But Dream and Black was happening around that time I think so there was still stuff like that to get into.

Just checked and I was wrong. Almas won on the first Wargames and that's the same night Black and Dream had their match. So yeah that was just a boring period but that first Wargames was a hell of a show.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 18, 2020