Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bushisms.txt posted:

Don't know why people still buy them.

Peer pressure because they're literal children

I'm pretty sure the game uninstalls itself when you turn 16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thanks alfonso ribeiro

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I have to say I used to be susceptible to lootboxes but not anymore (Though to be fair Rocket League did a number on me), battlepasses on the other hand? Yeah I fall for that poo poo

I usually only have one F2P game going at a time that I enjoy enough to put money into (Apex Legends currently, Warframe in the past) but I'm better about it these days compared to when I used to be. Still not great though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just what is a battlepass?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'm susceptible to those tactics so i avoid them like the plague (also i got no money)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Just what is a battlepass?
they're secretly just subscriptions. $10 for 3 months or so is the going rate, you usually get a bunch of weird bespoke content over that period plus a bunch of limited time items for doing them

in the destiny battle passes it's usually some new mode to grind on over that period and exotic guns. in fortnite it takes the form of little scavenger hunts, minigames, and incredibly specific challenges to get skins and emotes and poo poo (in the case of fortnite also if you play enough in the battle pass you always make more currency back than it cost to buy)

but everyone agreeing finally that monthly subscriptions is actually the best way to monetize games after all has been incredibly funny to watch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

of course the bad poo poo about fortnites pass in particular is that you can just buy levels on the pass for something like a dollar a pop, and the final coolest skin in the pass is always level 100 so your $10 sub just became $110 if you're particularly dumb

it is why I can no longer give my nephew eshop cards because he will just blow that poo poo on fortnite garbage

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why battlepasses? Are video games inherently violent??

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The mobile Fire Emblem pass lasts one month and you get barely anything, I'm looking forward to somebody making an even worse one in the not too distant future.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Yes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The mobile Fire Emblem pass lasts one month and you get barely anything, I'm looking forward to somebody making an even worse one in the not too distant future.
phone games seem to have the worst ones, nintendo stuff especially. mario kart tour's is $5/mo and I couldn't even begin to tell you what you get out of it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jay Rust posted:

all games are violent im sorry you had to find out here

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like all the cool artwork and voice lines you get from gachas. sometimes the stories are cool too. but i dont like anything else.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Did a fuckload of yardwork yesterday, and helped a friend move house.

So today I am getting day drunk with a lovely bottle of scotch, eating some verrrry noice cheese, some sweet potato dip, some cooked cabanosi, and some parmesan & black truffle chips.
Gonna play the vidya, catch up on a bunch of shows, and veg out to random youtube videos.

Fat gently caress bliss.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PunkBoy posted:

I am really curious to see how they're going to deal with the plate drop, because I can't imagine that they'll make the Turks be unforgivable mass murderers.

Dont worry if they make Reno hot enough the JRPG fanbase will find a way to forgive pretty much anything

precision posted:

Peer pressure because they're literal children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHPNgIihR0

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 16, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Hey, someone name a video game, if it’s on pc or switch I’ll buy it and play it

A Dump In The Dark

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Dont worry if they make Reno hot enough the JRPG fanbase will find a way to forgive pretty much anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHPNgIihR0

his video on wow is good too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have no problem with the Apex Legends battle pass; it's cheap and gets you a bunch of dress up items and is a much less scummy way of funding the game's existence. $10 every 3 months is peanuts.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

check it out they can just not do any of them and sell you a game, once. some say in ancient times this is what happened and it worked fine, and whispers carried on the wind tell of smaller studios who are far more financially vulnerable still following this model to this day and doing fine.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
That's ol' Stux again, spinning their yarns about those tall tales of the olden days. Yeah right, like we'd believe any of that nonsense!!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
stux told me one time that you used to just get like, the first part of the game for free then you could buy the rest if you liked it

i think it was called sharesoftware

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you really want to have a laugh download Marvel Strike Force on your phone where they sell SINGLE characters for like $50-80AUD on the reg

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Infinitum posted:

Did a fuckload of yardwork yesterday, and helped a friend move house.

So today I am getting day drunk with a lovely bottle of scotch, eating some verrrry noice cheese, some sweet potato dip, some cooked cabanosi, and some parmesan & black truffle chips.
Gonna play the vidya, catch up on a bunch of shows, and veg out to random youtube videos.

Fat gently caress bliss.

Nice, getting ready to pop a bottle of Santana over here

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Can't believe someone hasn't done a lovepass to cash in on Valentine's day.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Relax Or DIE posted:

stux told me one time that you used to just get like, the first part of the game for free then you could buy the rest if you liked it

i think it was called sharesoftware

Uhm I dunno if you missed out on the last two decades of gaming or so but we have that, it's called a beta (only you have to preorder the game first!!!!)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pubg makes you buy the game, has mystery lootboxes you get for free but have to buy keys for, direct cosmetic purchases (but for actual money at least i guess) and a battle pass and the most astounding part of this story is that all t he stuff theyve spent the money theyve made adding to the game sucks all the new maps are garbage and the game would be materially better if they had stopped doing any work to it and you just paid the £25 for the launch version and that was the whole game and this is why people still play quake 3 to this day but all of these games will be lost to time both because theyre live services that will literally disappear one day and because theyre unable to settle into a long term pattern where things get worked out and a complex meta evolves because everything changes constantly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i still like pubg though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i bought the $10 pink rabbit outfit full disclosure

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
of the brs pubg is the most fun to drunkenly muck around in

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pubg is the most fun one because, and im ignoring the newer maps, its a really big map with very distinct loot zones and vehicles and very importantly the game is a broken mess and very janky and you just mess around and have a grand old time and sometimes a motorcycle hits a car and the car flies off at 100mph

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

stux champions the no paid dlc free updates the indie devs pump out for years but also he bought all the eu4 dlc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiCzH1FamM

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

stux champions the no paid dlc free updates the indie devs pump out for years but also he bought all the eu4 dlc

also stellaris, ck2 and hoi4

May 8, 2006

dang i wish stellaris had been good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

dang i wish stellaris had been good

stellaris freaking slaps

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

its okay

May 8, 2006

i found it to be really dull but i haven't played in like, the last two expansions so maybe they fixed it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its not eu4 but its the best space 4x/whatever by a big margin

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

heres the official paradox ranking

eu4