Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Crackdown on the 360 owned

I got all the things :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

I got all the things :mmmhmm:

Holy poo poo. You are dedicated.

My favorite thing was way over leveling on the :orb: and oneshotting the bosses

The climbing and discovering was more fun than the combat for me anyway

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally picked up Crackdown 3 and as a story it sucks but it scratches that orb itch pretty well. Haven't 100%ed the game, but maxed out every skill.

There's nothing like finally getting the last skill (in my case, driving) maxed out, get the voiceover "CONGRATULATIONS AGENT" and then turning off the game and never going back because why would you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo. You are dedicated.

Yeah I don't know what the heck I was thinking.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I finally picked up Crackdown 3 and as a story it sucks but it scratches that orb itch pretty well. Haven't 100%ed the game, but maxed out every skill.

There's nothing like finally getting the last skill (in my case, driving) maxed out, get the voiceover "CONGRATULATIONS AGENT" and then turning off the game and never going back because why would you.

Wish everything could be Farcry 4. I maxed everything out, got all the hidden stuff, did all the outposts, and just wanted more. Then I played around with cheatengine and that was hilarious, full auto grenade launcher, while I superman jump into the sky and rain down grenade death, or jump across the whole map in one leap. They should have just had unlocks later that broke the game totally for fun.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_P6KDLqmIQ

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Sure, it's the hotdog stand theme that springs out and assaults your eyes, but it is the Bob program group that will haunt you in your sleep for days

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Why is it pulsing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it is supposed to look like it's a CRT or something.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

First category: AIDS.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

spaceblancmange posted:

First category: AIDS.
Yeah. Maybe if you give someone AIDS you shouldn't tell them with a form letter. Maybe don't use that stationary either.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Fool posted:

Why is it pulsing

If you had a crappy pc it’d be unable to push the monitor at a good refresh rate and it’d basically flicker at you all day. A monitor with dying power supply might do that too.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah. Maybe if you give someone AIDS you shouldn't tell them with a form letter. Maybe don't use that stationary either.

Yeah, make it properly romantic and and hire a drat skywriter.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

doctorfrog posted:

If you had a crappy pc it’d be unable to push the monitor at a good refresh rate and it’d basically flicker at you all day. A monitor with dying power supply might do that too.

I remember that certain CRT monitors would make the most awful high pitched noise when they were showing mostly yellow/red as well

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

If you had a crappy pc it’d be unable to push the monitor at a good refresh rate and it’d basically flicker at you all day.

That was especially true if you were stuck only being able to push a 60hz refresh rate under fluorescent lights, which happened a lot in office environments. It was like a magic headache machine that ran from 9am to 5pm.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Booourns posted:

I remember that certain CRT monitors would make the most awful high pitched noise when they were showing mostly yellow/red as well

Every now and then I get nostalgic enough to hook up my SNES to a CRT TV and then that noise makes me shut it off after 20 minutes. Being able to hear those frequencies made it hell to go anywhere with a bunch of TVs during the 90s.

On the other hand, I guess it's sort of cool I can still hear that in my old age.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I used to be able to tell if someone (quietly) opened a door in a room I was in solely by the slight change in the sound of the CRT whine.

Then I grew up and started listening to shoegaze and speed metal. Whoops.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I remember being able to hear the whine of my family's basement TV from outside the house

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dang, I miss CRTs

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Zero information none of you here won't know, but Tom Scott did a video follow-up to one he did in a computer museum, and he hadn't spotted the whine on his first video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5UiLYWdbM

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Booourns posted:

Sort of related but does anyone else hear a sound from the computer when they use the scroll wheel? Googling this has other people who have this issue but mostly it’s from their speakers, mine is from the actual tower. I’m guessing it’s something to do with the GPU as it’s rendering something different on screen and causing a tiny bit of coil whine or interference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had a wifi AP that made dull clicks when transmitting and I miss it a little.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
We all know the best CRT noise was degaussing, anyway.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mehall posted:

Zero information none of you here won't know, but Tom Scott did a video follow-up to one he did in a computer museum, and he hadn't spotted the whine on his first video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5UiLYWdbM

Ugh, my ears got totally clogged the other day, happens about once a year, and I used a curette to open them up...now I can hear a high pitched whine inside my car...but only when I hit the gas pedal. It's loving annoying, and apparently a grounding issue known to the car. Had the car for years and never heard it before. Can also hear a similar whine from my garage door motor that I couldn't hear before. So glad CRT's aren't around anymore I'd probably lose my mind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Prism posted:

We all know the best CRT noise was degaussing, anyway.

I had a 20 minute conversation about degaussing at a bar with a friend last night. We both decided we miss it dearly, almost to the point of justifying having CRTs around.

Someone write an accurate degaussing simulator for Windows 10 and I will pay you money for it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Sort of related but does anyone else hear a sound from the computer when they use the scroll wheel? Googling this has other people who have this issue but mostly it’s from their speakers, mine is from the actual tower. I’m guessing it’s something to do with the GPU as it’s rendering something different on screen and causing a tiny bit of coil whine or interference.

Could be coil whine. When your GPU hits a certain frequency, it can let out a high pitched noise and maybe it's doing that when it has to rerender the screen when you scroll.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I had a 20 minute conversation about degaussing at a bar with a friend last night. We both decided we miss it dearly, almost to the point of justifying having CRTs around.

Someone write an accurate degaussing simulator for Windows 10 and I will pay you money for it

Once my dad showed me that button, it was one of my favorite things. Get bored using the computer and just hit the degauss button. Woooooom *click*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sometimes I spray my LCD with artificial gauss

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Sometimes I spray my LCD with artificial gauss

Also, don't forget to defrag your phone from time to time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mak0rz posted:

I remember being able to hear the whine of my family's basement TV from outside the house

A year or two ago, my parents didn't believe me that I could hear the ultrasonic mouse-repeller thing that they'd put down in their basement. At least not until I proved it by going upstairs and calling down "it's on" and "it's off" as they flipped the power switch a few times. I may or may not have brought up a certain computer monitor we had in the 90s, and how they thought I was crazy for moving it around and wiggling its power connector trying to get it to stop making a high-pitched squeal that they couldn't hear...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I get this too, I think it's related to the video card in some way. It'll also happen during games. Maybe a capacitor whining? As long as it functions properly otherwise, I'm not worried. The card is 7 years old, it's allowed a little arthritis.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One of the computers at work adds that same scroll click/squeak sound to its audio output; it makes using headphones with it really annoying. (Doesn't happen with a USB soundcard, thankfully.)

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Just take out all your cards, wrap them in aluminum foil, and put them back in. The foil protects them from interference and also prevents the CIA from spying on you. I shouldn't have to say this, but don't actually do this.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It may also be similar to the old effect where you have a cell phone next to your speakers, and you can hear a call coming in via the speakers before the phone starts vibrating/ringing due to them picking up the phone signals. Speaker/sound circuitry close to the bluetooth?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
If it's only coming from your headphones/speakers, make sure your computer isn't set to play back audio from the line-in. I run the audio from game consoles into my line-in and if I forget to mute it when I'm done I get screamed at when I scroll.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The best solution is to get tinnitus. If my electronics are making a high pitched whine, hell if I know!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GI_Clutch posted:

The best solution is to get tinnitus. If my electronics are making a high pitched whine, hell if I know!

Yoooo had this forever and 60hz whine is impossible to hear unless it’s really loud

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GI_Clutch posted:

Instead the high pitched whine is coming from inside your head.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My tinnitus was at a different pitch than television whine, which was only useful in that I could tell whether someone turned off the cable box but not the television, or whether my ears just hated me.

I say "was" because I held onto that hearing range way too long considering it is supposed to disappear by what, your early 20s, but it is finally gone; I am at last near death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My XPS 15 got major coil whine when scrolling through webpages with white backgrounds. Hated that loving computer.